Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork Army in progress...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
  • Army Name:Der Red Kobraz
probably 1/3 of all my Ork epic models painted.. I have no idea if this is a decent sized army or not. Painting these buggers is rediculously easy, IMO. Future floor mix with ink does the charm.. quickly. I don't get the same satisfaction with the results... but it does look nice all together (seeing what that many orks look like on one battlefield), and ought to look good on the table. I think it's about the overall effect rather than the individual.

Attached Files

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
and a close-up of the completed models...

Attached Files

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
  • Army Name:Da Arborkz
Damn you.. getting me in to buying epic models now. :lol I agree on what you said about epic. It is more about the overall package than the individual models. I take it this is the Red Kobras in action?
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
yer, dese iz der Red Kobraz!

well see how I actually like playing Epic, but I think it would be awesome to see 1,000 Orks swamping an Imperial outpost. What you see above is something like 200 infantry... this is not including all the other vehicles or artillery krew.

I think beakies would be rediculously easy to paint, as there aren't as many fiddly details (or call for many colors, depending on the chapter) as on the Orks.

Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Dah Black Market Boss

• Nobz
  • 4,628 posts
  • Army Name:Dah Sininst'r Blue Moon Tribe of dah Bad Moon Clan.
Nice pics of the army NS! :yes You only have one stompa though?? :?
The Waaagh FAQ - READ IT!

Come on down to ol' Warlord Thrunzdar Tonzateef's Used Weaponz and Vehicles Em-pore-E-ummm. We got low low prices on all Kustom Mega Blastas, Big Shootas, Rokkits, and Powerklaws. And don't forget, if you don't take advantage of Tonza's low prices...Tonza will take advantage of you.

-Tonzateef

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
I have about 20 Stompas, so have no fear ;) first I painted (almost) one of each unit type, now I am painting all of one kind in a factory like fashion. I just haven't gotten to the stompas yet. I think they all need some slight tweaks to make them less "cookie cutter"

Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Dah Black Market Boss

• Nobz
  • 4,628 posts
Oh okay.... :rolleyes No Boss is worth his salt without stompas in Epic...

Come on down to ol' Warlord Thrunzdar Tonzateef's Used Weaponz and Vehicles Em-pore-E-ummm. We got low low prices on all Kustom Mega Blastas, Big Shootas, Rokkits, and Powerklaws. And don't forget, if you don't take advantage of Tonza's low prices...Tonza will take advantage of you.

-Tonzateef

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
as I haven't played yet, I can only guess... but, stat-wise, they look pretty damned nasty!! I definitely look forward to fielding an all- stompa detachment :lol I need to konvert one to be a mekboy gargant, too.

Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Dah Black Market Boss

• Nobz
  • 4,628 posts
Traditionally the mekboy gargants are just slightly bigger then stompas and not as big as regular gargants...I've seen some people create almost skinny versions of gargants for them...I'll see if I can find a pic...

-Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Dah Black Market Boss

• Nobz
  • 4,628 posts
Here we go....here is some various links showing stompas, mek gargants, and great gargants..

http://epic40k.com/E...bits3/am1d.html

I'll edit this post as I find more...

-Tonzateef

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
cool, thanks! I have seen pics of the old metal one, but I had no sense of scale :sowhat

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts
Alright thats it! NS you magnificent bastard! Thanks to you i need to shell out some massive cash for an epic army. :crybaby
The original Waaaghbbit.
Please visit my modeling blog

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
massive cash?? actually, no! Fanatic will be coming out with a new line of Ork Epic models... all in metal, but you can get a very cheap setup right now via Ebay and GQ mail order. They don't list it, but you can get a whole infantry sprue for $3.50! That's like 70 orks of various sorts and a stompa. Then, there's a sprue with 6 interchangeable battlewagons. So, unless you go for some really exotic stuff, you can get a fairly inexpensive waaagh going!

I'm going to play a few demo type games in about an hour, so I'll tell you all how it went.......

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
so how did it play?
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
Well... the guy I was supposed to meet never showed up, he claimed that he looked for parking for about an hour and gave up. :sowhat pretty damn lame if you ask me! he could have at least popped his head in and said what was up. Fortunately, a good friend of mine showed up because he was interested in starting an 'umies Epic army. So, I gave him the super quick run-down of the game, and we fumbled through the first training scenario. It was a very simple mission, as we were focusing on getting a grasp of the game mechanics. 2 formations of 6 stands (5 infantry per stand). Objective in the middle, whomever has the only formation within 7.5" of the objective at the end of any turn, wins. The mission called for beakies, but since I was the only one with models present, we used Orks. I think this affected the way the game played greatly. Small formations of Orks don't perform very well (in Epic you need to roll dice to see if the formation does what you want it to), and Beakies are far more reliable (so it wouldn't get in the way of one's trying to grasp the rules). Nonetheless, we had an interesting time trying to read into the rules, and we have a number of questions. I also think 2 formations of six units really wouldn't give you a good feel of Epic.... I think you need lots of tanks and warmachines.... but, rule-wise, we weren't ready for that. The greatest impression it left me was how powerful morale is in Epic compared to 40K. The act of being shot at (even without causing casualties) will start to wear you down. Jervis said that it was estimated in WW2 that there were 10,000 shots fired per causalty, and more in Vietnam. So, they are trying to reflect this. So, I am somewhat interested in trying some more. I ordered some plastic Epic ruined building sprues, so it will help add flavor to have decent looking terrain. I also ordered some beakies for variety... they should be even easier to paint up.

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts
I don't understand something, since epic is going to get rid of all the old ork "out-of-place" stuff and make new vehicles that are more familliar with the 40k line of orks, how will you use you're army NS if it's composed of old edidtion stuff? :?
The original Waaaghbbit.
Please visit my modeling blog

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
good question, and they've addressed this in a FAQ, actually! Jervis wanted to make sure that everyone can use old models if they want. So, you either use the "count-as" rule (e.g. a shokk attack gun counts as a generic "big gun"), or , for the really unusual and rare models, there are unique stats for them... mosty for friendly games, though. He likes this, especially wityh Orks, because it can provide a more rag-tag appearance. Gw would have no qualms with a 40K player using old RT era models, nor do they in Epic. I may replace some stuff if the models look better. It really comes down to having a wider assortment of models to pick from. You still should be able to get the old stuff via mail order, you just won't see it in stores as often.

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
so as far as stats and such go. Are there still different types of gargants and such or is it just a general classification of big gargant and small gargant now?
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
for friendly games, they've provided the stats for all the old archive gargants, as well as all the various weapons. for tournament type games, there is just the gargant and mega gargant, and then you can add a charcter, which will grant the titan his special abilities. there also is a new stompa..a supa-stompa! and there is a massive assault boat type landing craft! :biggrin they also added most of the recent 40k type stuff. kans, dethkoptas, etc.

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
oh, and a 'steam gargant' for the ferals!