Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Through the minifying glass

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,728 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz
awesome Quase! I've found running multiple units in Epic to be very helpful... even if they're small. Blast markers are the key to my strategy (edit: clarification, having more units means more blast markers... every time a unit shoots it causes a blast marker... capitalize on that). Also crossfires are incredible... if the pincer is close enough, your supporting units can even offer support fire... which can turn an unwinnable combat into a massacre in your favor. Also... if ever faced with terminators... RUN... they're terrible and Grey Knight termies are the worst... (can kill a great gargant if you're not careful)
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
  • Army Name:Da Klan ov da Golden Teef

awesome Quase! I've found running multiple units in Epic to be very helpful... even if they're small. Blast markers are the key to my strategy (edit: clarification, having more units means more blast markers... every time a unit shoots it causes a blast marker... capitalize on that).

Well, that was my main ploy, but alas, that didn't work at all :lol
The best plans crumble when facing the enemy ;)

I managed to squeeze in a couple of crossfires (at least once per game)
But on the Russes it had 0 effect, and in the last game, I crossfired the main menace for my BlitzBrigade holding the BlitzKrieg objective... still managed to miss each 'n every shot :(

Oh, and the Beakie opponent had 4 bases of Terminators teleport into my deployment zone... Killed two in the first turn, after that, those two remaining survived into the third turn :eek , claiming the objective of being in my deployment zone :crybaby

So now I want to try it the other way around :

Big Ork Warband
Big Ork Warband
Ork Warband mounted in Landa + 2 Killa Kans
Huge BlitzBrigade with 3 Meks and a GunFortress
Huge BlitzBrigade with 3 Meks and a GunFortress
StompaMob + 2 Extra Stompas
Gargant
Fighta Bomma Squad + extra Fighta
Big Speed freek Mob + extra Bike
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
So,

Seen I had gotten my behind handed over to me on a guilded plate in the tournie of two weeks ago, my tournament army needed an overhaul.

Hence I rewrote my list (see previous post in this topic), and I needed 19 bases that still weren't painted to field it.
Even though the next tournie is well away in june, I still decided to attack the changes asap.

Here are the results :
1 Fighta Bomma, 8 Bike stands and 9 Gunwagons
Posted Image

Of course, they'll never be fielded like this.
To give you a more realistic idea, here are the newly painted bases integrated into the Warbands the way they're supposed to be fielded in the next tournie :
Fighta Bomba Raid
Posted Image
Speed Freeks
Posted Image
The first Blitz Brigade
Posted Image
And the second Blitz Brigade
Posted Image

:cheers
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Zog

Zog

Wants Panzies

• Bad Moonz
  • 484 posts
  • Army Name:Zogs Boyz
Nice job buddy Gonna be pickin yer brainz over this stuff soon ;)
Gone crazy.... Back soon....

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
Through the minifying glass: Da cycle continues (again)

Last weekend I attended to another Epic tournie with my Orks.

Due to a nasty ear-infection of my 1-year-old son + the coming of two fangs I slept a solid 2 hours the night before the Tournie. :snore
Hence my recollection of the first game in the morning is blurry to say the least, and I'll limit myself to some highlights in the battle.

1st game Orks vs Orks
His army was quite different from mine, with only 1 unit of Orks, but a Huge one, 2 Units of Stompa with a Supa Stompa, 2 units of Orks in Landas, two huge BlitzKriegs, a unit of Stormboyz and 2 waves of Fighta Bommas.

First some piccies : I placed a Big unit of Ork Boyz as garisson
Posted Image
And a unit of Stompaz
Posted Image
And basically the whole game went like me trying to inflict damage on my opponent (only succeeding in killing his Stormboyz and two Blitzkriegs) and him whiping out my units one by one :(
In an attempt of thinning out the Huge gang of Orks in cover one of my Huge BlitzKriegs charges forwards with the Stompaz
Posted Image
Posted Image
His air-based attacks are quite devastating, one Ork unit in a Landa whiping out a Big unit of Orks
Posted Image
While his other Landa-based unit kills the Gargant (who was already considerably softened up by his Fighta Bommas and a Stompa Mob
Posted Image
In the end, at turn 3 he had three objectives (kill most expensive units, control 2 objectives in my table half and capture the 'BlitzKrieg)

I lose :crybaby
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
Then it was luchtime; a nice barbeque with a couple of beers later I was feeling a lot better and ready to affront my next opponent...

2nd game Orks vs Beakies

Now as my brainz had started working again, I immediately started taking advantage of one of my opponents' weaknesses and put the two objectives I had to gain control of on the two opposite table-edges.
As Beakies do not have a lot of units nor very big units he had the choice in between splitting his outnumbered forces in two (bad idea) or giving me free access to one of the objectives 'n try and contest that later (the least bad of two choices) He went for curtain number two :lol:
One of my Blitz Brigades deploying behind some solid cover
Posted Image
The game went on very equal in the first two turns, hurting each-other almost turn for turn, without anyone getting the upperhand.
Rather quickly (1st turn :lol: ) I descend my Landa-based Orks on one of his WhirlWind units, whiping it out and capturing the BlitzKrieg in one go.
Posted Image
In the meantime my one of my two Garissons surges forwards to support the unit holding the BlitzKrieg.
A unit of Beakies is dispatched to thwart them, but my Speed Freeks rush to the resque
Posted Image
One Fighta Bomma strafing run added to the mix and the offending Beakie unit was no more, they were gone to meet their maker :lol:

In the meantime, the other Blitz Brigade surges forwards on the undefended flank
Posted Image
And they kill off the second unit of WhirlWinds :lol

Realising their danger, the Beakies launch an airborne attack on the first Blitz Brigade, whiping them out (ouch!)
Posted Image
Now this put me in bad papers as this unit was posing a threat to my BlitzKrieg, so I moved in the Gargant who shot the remnants of the Beakies to smithereens.
Unfortunately for me, shortly after that two (2!) units of Terminators materialised around the Gargant charging him
Posted Image
They win combat, the Gargant reclines, to rally and shoot them again. They then charged again and this went around for 4 full turns, while his Thunderhawk kept strafing the Gargant + various other shooting was targeted against him. In the end of turn 4 he still stood straight... sweet!
At the end of turn 3 we both held two objectives, which meant a draw.
That means in Epic a turn 4 is played. I started out by killing his most expensive unit completely (= 1 objective)
I consolidated on his BlitzKrieg (=1 objective)
I blew away his units defending the objectives in his table half, capturing both of them (= 1 objective)

And I managed to break his last unit of Termies holding my BlitzKrieg (- 1 objective)
And I managed to contest the two objectives he held in my table half (- 1 objective)

Here you see the Thunderbolt chasing my Fighta Bommaz
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, end turn 4 I control three objectives vs his 0 objectives

I win! :choppa
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
Onwards and forwards to the third game.

This was a lil' different, and it's a rulesset that's called Minigeddon. Inasfar as I know, only available in french.

Basically you play on a board that's a lot less wider (60X120 centimeters), with 1K of points, no formation over 400 points, nothing bigger 'n 3 structure points.
To control an objective you need to be within 10cm in stead of 15 and the broken units only get destroyed within 10 centimeters of an enemy formation.

3rd game Orks vs Umies

He had 2 (two!) BaneBlades, a Warhound Titan, a unit of 4 (or 5?) Knights and 1 unit of Guardsmen
I had one formation of Orks, one unit of Speed Freeks, one BlitzBrigade with Mek upgrade and a GunFortress and one formation of Stompaz.

Turn one, I gain the initiative and promptly speed my Blitz Brigade past my Garisson that was hiding in a crater. Only the GunWagon with the Mek upgrade is within range of one of the BaneBlades. I open up fire and hit. I roll a D3 to see how many hits... 1 :(
Then I roll for critical hit and **booom** minus one BaneBlade :D
Posted Image
He promptly speeds forwards his Knights who due to their Scout rule block my access over the whole width of the board.
Posted Image
So all I can do is move my Orks, Stompas and Freeks forwards to lay down the dakka on the knights... End turn one, all Knights gone.
During all of that, his Guardsmen continued guarding his BlitzKrieg while he positioned his Warhound and remaining BaneBlade into more advantageous shooting-lane positions, doing minimal damage on my troops (Guards outshot by dem orks, I never thought I'd live to see the day!)

Beginning turn two, I get the initiative again, and now my whole Blitz Brigade is in shooting range of his second BaneBlade... 12 shots later (no critical hits though) this machine too fell apart. He reacts by marching (=triple move) his Warhound forwards which puts it effectively out of LoS of my whole army and at the same time taking control of my BlitzKrieg :(
I retaliate by contesting his BlitzKrieg with my Bikes, while they engage in an exchange of hot lead with the Guardsmen guarding the BlitzKrieg.
My Stompaz wiggle their way forwards claiming the objective within his table half while my Orkses surge forwards to lend their fire support to the Bikes.

Turn three, he manages to break my Speed Freeks with a sustained fire from his Guardsmen. My Orks double-time forwards to re-contest the BlitzKrieg (falling 5 centimeters short) and take another couple of pot-shots at the guardsmen. My Stompaz edge forwards within dakka range of the Guardsmen but keeping the objective under their control. His Warhound continues to hide and claim my BlitzKrieg. All this while my Blitz Brigade pours their sustained fire on the Guardsmen.

En of turn three he controls my Blitz vs me holding his objective... draw again!

I rally the Speed Freeks

Enter turn four.

The warhound stubbornly refuses to show his head (I'd do the same :lol: )
And his guardsmen charge in on my Orks trying to free the BlitzKrieg.
My Orks are repelled and get broken.
So I move my Blitz Brigade to cover his BlitzKrieg while shooting at the Guardsmen, the STompaz do likewise but with sustained fire (still holding on to the objective), and finally my Bikes charge in on the Guardsmen finally breaking them.

End turn four he holds my BlitzKrieg while I control his BlitzKrieg, his objective and have routed his most expensive unit. 3 objective points for me, one for him.

I win! :choppa

In the end of the day, they announce the winners, and despite my heavy losses in my first game I stille end up fifth! Yay!

:cheers fer reading!
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
So, after 2 weeks of near complete forum-absence (q-time with da lil' family & cruising from party to party), it is time to show you guys a couple of the things I've been up to in the later hours of the evenings when the Grot was in bed.

Do note, since the last update, I have been painting other Epic stuff, but those are documented in other threads.
For example, [ulr=http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=31472]Stompaz[/url] and a Mega Gargant

But... onwards and forwards to da noo stuff!

First off, I got a couple of very nice GunWagons from Harkon Greywolf and others a while back, so I owned them the courteosy of painting a couple of them.
As per my habit, I paint 'em in fours, so that I've got one Mob or expansion of a Mob in one go.
This time round I decided for one MekBoy upgrade GunWagon, a custom-built FlakWagon and two GunWagons :

Posted Image
Posted Image

Durning november, Zog sent me (dontcha lurrve this guy?) an AI Blasta Bommer fer me birthday.
I decided I'd make him 'count as' a Landa. Now as I want to field two Landas' in februarys' Epic tournie in Brussels, I decided to order a second Blasta Bommer from ForgeWorld, so I'd have two matching ones :
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Landaz are not glued to they bases, so should the occasion present itself, I can still put them on their AI bases to have a game.

And the last part of this update : as part of a commission pay-off, I received a Battle Kroozer, so I painted that up too.
These guys are just too slow to use in a tournie (can't be used before the third turn), but should provide me with some serious fun in friendly games : drop the Landaz from Orbit in stead of forcing them to fly over the battlefield = drool
Posted Image
Posted Image

Soo, only a couple of figs, but still good for adding 850 points to my ever-expanding horde.

Hope yaz likes what yaz sees ;)

Oh, and for those having asked for full-army piccies, they'll follow in february during the tournie :D
In order to whet yer appetites, here's what 7K of my Epic Orks looked like, but I'm bound to be around the 10K mark at least by now...
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Harkon Greywolf

Harkon Greywolf

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,243 posts
Excellent stuff as usual Quase! Glad those little tanks helped out towards "Da Caws"! ;) And that link to 7k of Epic stuff is fantastic! Can't wait to see the "bigger picture"! ;) HG

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Kudos to Zog & HG for the nice gifts! :thumbs Nice looking paint on all the models and I'm drooling over the Blasta Bommaz. Are the Bommaz about the same size as a Landa? They definitely look far, far better than the GW Landa and are even cheaper at the moment. :D Good to see the Quase WAAAGH expanding.

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
Thanks!

Are the Bommaz about the same size as a Landa? They definitely look far, far better than the GW Landa and are even cheaper at the moment. :D

Yup, when I received the first from Zog, I compared it to my Landa which, even though it's a scratchbuild without having the original near me, is exactly as long as the GWS Landa.
And whaddaya know? These babies are the same length too :yes
So I immediately ordered a second one (compared to French GWS prices, they're even a lot cheaper.

And the sculpts do indeed look very, very good
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Harkon Greywolf

Harkon Greywolf

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,243 posts
Hmmm may have to get me a couple of Bommas too, for my AI Waaagh! and my Epic army. Very nice looking models. But then they are FW and should be too! ;) HG

NapoleeOrk

NapoleeOrk

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 11 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh Gobrot
I just wanted to say I love the battle reports. I played the first version of epic way back and still have some minis kicking around. You've inspired me to dig them out of storage and check out the new rules. Keep up the good work and hope your next tourney goes well. :thumbs
Of Grotts and Meks
magos_mechanicus said: "Well that's it...
The forges fall quiet, the cutting torches extinguished and the rivvit guns cast aside, as another Mek shuts up shop and begins a long wander in the wastes alone. Only the dreams of War Machines that could have been are his company now..."
-----------------------------
“… And den…………. All da itty bitty grots wat was hidin in the tools come out to bild da fings e wuldnt let em bild afore.”

braxat2000

braxat2000

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 76 posts
  • Army Name:WIP
Hey, Just wanted to say that I'm reading the post and enjoying it a lot. Very inspiring and fun, please keep updating it :). Eyal.

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
Thanks guys! And glad ya found that ispiration here NapoleeOrk and braxat2000, that is the main reason I started this thread : I was discovering a (for me) noo game, saw that it was good and wanted to share. Next tournie is the second weekend of february (a 2-day tournie at that!) so you can expect a major update in the weeks after that. In the meantime I'm painting up some stuff I included in my armylists for that tournie. I will never ever learn to limit myself to what I've already got painted :lol At the moment, I'm working on two GunFotresses to add to my force and 3 Skorchaz to make my Speed Freek Mobs even better in CC
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Harkon Greywolf

Harkon Greywolf

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,243 posts
Nice! Can't wait to see the new additions. HG

big mek boomsnik

big mek boomsnik

Steel Teef

• Evil Sunz
  • 668 posts
  • Army Name:waaaagh goreteef
wow this is the reason i started first i saw harkon and zogs threads with the models and began thinking should i start and then i saw youre battle reports which sold me to epic.
By the end of the week will it be Penelope the Piece of Pansee Dung?-dim reapa
Eh, it's a post about Ke.lets, going off topic is just getting into the spirit of things frankly.
-penelope the wonder pony
my waaagh blog http://minilink.me/mekkin%20blog!/ pic heavy!

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts

wow this is the reason i started first i saw harkon and zogs threads with the models and began thinking should i start and then i saw youre battle reports which sold me to epic.

I lurrve it when a plan comes together (now where's that cigar-smoking Ork smiley :search )

Tournie is in the weekend to come, and I'm very psyched up already!
There's players from Belgium (obviously), the UK, Ireland and France :eek All figs needed for the tournie are painted now, so I am cool in that department and I've been re-reading the rulebook while commuting on the train.

Apparently there are more prizes than there are contestants, and if the organisation is to be beleived, the smallest prize is a unit of Leman Russes

Piccies of the new units will follow soon, when I finish painting that Great Gargant I scored from Harkon Greywolf (trying to get that one done before the weekend so I can include him in the army-piccies)
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Zog

Zog

Wants Panzies

• Bad Moonz
  • 484 posts
  • Army Name:Zogs Boyz
More additions :eek Thats gotta push the points to more than 12K by now! Just waiting for the pics buddy ;) Few more hours to finish the 'other' army and to give my 40k Orks some lurve then its on to some mini-mes :lol Cant wait for the bat reps from the torni, maybe next year I'll come over for a play in it ;)
Gone crazy.... Back soon....