Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Off topic posts and spam- PLEASE READ!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
  • Army Name:Der Red Kobraz
I have noticed a lot of off-off topic posts recently in the Fungus House. I hate to be the one to rain on the parade, but we think it is getting out of hand. We've been exceeding our bandwidth a lot as of late, and I suspect much of it has to do with the off topic and nonsense discussions. It one thing to pay more money to expand a forum about Orks (which this place was created for) it is another thing to fund some half brained unrelated topics.

A while back we brought up a topic about making more useful posts. Some of our newer members haven't been around long enough to recall this, so I don't blame them for anything. Some of the older members might have forgotten about this, or they see other folks doing it, so they think it's OK for them to do as well. It's time to pull in the reins a bit. Let me remind/ inform:

Before you make a post, consider it's purpose. Does it add to the conversation, or is it just filler? An entire post that only says "OK", "No", "looks good", etc is just a waste of bandwidth and everyone's time. Try to use some discretion. Don't bother attempting to boost your post count with useless posts, as we don't hesitate to reduce the count (even to below zero).

The Fungus house was originally designed for the miscellaneous topics that didn't really fit anywhere else. It is not meant to fit all of your social needs, we can't carry that burden. I can appreciate that people are enjoying themselves here, I also like to see people bonding. However, I notice that the majority of some people's posts are in the Fungus House (go look at your profiles and you'll see what I mean)... and that is a problem. Please remember that this is, first and foremost, and Ork forum. There are thousands of general discussion forums out there, and only one Ork forum, please don't dilute what we've worked hard for. We have limited time and resources, please respect this.

Love, da Management.

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts
Damn, sorry.
The original Waaaghbbit.
Please visit my modeling blog

Kronork

Kronork

particularly odious and dishonest barrister

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
I think the FBH should be more ork oriented, there's been a lot about computer games lately, and other "odd" stuff. I think it's fun at times, but at others, it feels like the FBH is a completely stand alone forum on this here site. *looks at profile* 50% in the Mek's Garage, I'm faultless at least. :lol ;) Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem, sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
  • Army Name:Da Arborkz
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the FBH should be ork related, but it should probably be at the least game realted or something to do with our genre. Similar to the bad moon merchant quarter. We don't specifically state that what you are doing is ork only. But if you check your profile and you see that most of your posts are in that section, then what are you really using this forum for?
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
A lot of things fall in to grey areas, which makes drawing a firm line quite difficult. I know some of us see something that we think is so funny, important or touching that we feel compelled to share it with the rest of the gang. I understand, but I also feel it dilutes the focus. Trust me, it's no fun feeling like you're policing your friends around, but I think it is a necessary evil. :( So, let's try and turn it down a few notches.

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts
So... does that mean a change in the description? It uh... might be the source of the problems. It pretty much sounds like we can post whatever we want.

Off-topic board. Come and talk about any miscellaneous 40k stuff, or non-40k topics.

The original Waaaghbbit.

BiRELL

BiRELL

Stormboy

• Speed Freaks
  • 1,393 posts
  • Army Name:Da ┬┤Eabuttas.
maybe
Off-topic board. Come and talk about any miscellaneous GW stuff.

:?

Karrak

Karrak

Shoota Boy

• Grotz
  • 257 posts
  • Army Name:Karrak's Footsloggers (ok so I don't really have a name yet)
I actually find myself agreeing with Guru there :eek saying 40k topics or non-40k topics really equals anything at all. While current members may or may not be potty trained to restrain themselves any new guy that wonders in there will most probably conclude from that line that anything goes. As much as I'd hate to see all important stuff like polls about your favourite snacks disappear I'd hate even more to see the-waaagh disappear because of bandwith and server issues. I could have provided you with a very clever and catchy alternative to for the sub title but my brain has gone into battery saving mode after me working way too much the last few weeks so no suggestions from my part. EDIT: what birell said seems to work... Though I would consider a discussion of orks in, say, warcraft to be closer to the waaagh theme then tomb kings army lists or something.

Snowbeat47

Snowbeat47

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 568 posts
  • Army Name:Da Lost Boyz
Hmmm... I've always considered the "off topic" section of the site where people can post off- topic stuff. No, not about their Beanie Baby collection or how awesome their nose hair is, but stuff like cool links, funny stuff, and general discussions. I sympathize with the admins on this one, though. It must suck to constantly have to pay more for the site you started and still run, just because people have to talk a lot. So guys and gals, let's try to keep our Fungus Beerhouse discussions more miscellaneous 40k, so that everyone's favorite 40k forum (no, not B&C! ;) ) stays afloat. For The WAAAGH!
Part 18 of The Forum Story is out now!

"We think you require a different set of numbered polyhedrons. Those that you currently posess appear to provide suction."- Shas'O Bob

"Go, my pretties! Kill! Kill!"- GuRu about his "army of darkness"

Kronork

Kronork

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
I don't think non-40K topics means, non-GW topics. It might mean, speak of Mordheim, Fantasy battle, Epic, etc... Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
mecum omnes plangite!

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts

So... does that mean a change in the description? It uh... might be the source of the problems. It pretty much sounds like we can post whatever we want.

Off-topic board. Come and talk about any miscellaneous 40k stuff, or non-40k topics.

that's an interestig take (not that everyone bothers to read titles), but I think we are hesitant to outright prevent all non Ork/40K discussions. Like I've said before, it is a trickly line in the sand to draw. I would prefer that people use a little dicretion rather than have the HQ draft up some magnum opus edict about what can and cannot be discussed (and have no one read it ;) ).

Karrak- I would hope that new members adopt the common 'watch and learn' approach to joining the Waaagh. In essence, read a bunch of topics to get a good feel for how things operate here before diving in. I think most do. Some don't, hence this topic.

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts

I don't think non-40K topics means, non-GW topics. It might mean, speak of Mordheim, Fantasy battle, Epic, etc...

Cheers

right-o, Kronork! :yes And, as Krum mentioned, other peripheral topics to the genre.

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts

I don't think non-40K topics means, non-GW topics. It might mean, speak of Mordheim, Fantasy battle, Epic, etc...

Cheers

right-o, Kronork! :yes And, as Krum mentioned, other peripheral topics to the genre.

Glad to know the uvva games section is worthless now!
The original Waaaghbbit.

Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Dah Black Market Boss

• Nobz
  • 4,628 posts
  • Army Name:Dah Sininst'r Blue Moon Tribe of dah Bad Moon Clan.
:sowhat Alright lad...maybe the HQ needs to turn around and make it GW specific topics. Would that make it better? :sowhat
The Waaagh FAQ - READ IT!

Come on down to ol' Warlord Thrunzdar Tonzateef's Used Weaponz and Vehicles Em-pore-E-ummm. We got low low prices on all Kustom Mega Blastas, Big Shootas, Rokkits, and Powerklaws. And don't forget, if you don't take advantage of Tonza's low prices...Tonza will take advantage of you.

-Tonzateef

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
I think your missing the idea, buck toofed squig. da uvver games is still good for discussing the specific games in detail (tactics, army lists, batreps, etc). The FBH is better for general discussion about the gaming hobby and miscellaneous what-nots. Make more sense?

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts
I suppose so, but that'll just water down the uvva games so much more, and that's not exactly what it needs currently.
The original Waaaghbbit.

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
OK, let me try it anuvver way... a topic about, say... Morheim that concerns playing the game, tactics, rosters, etc. would best fit in the 'uvva games section. A topic that is about the gaming hobby in general, yet isn't really tactics, modeling, ect., would be best suited for the FBH. Like,"I am considering starting a local gaming league that ties in 40K, BFG and Epic, do you have any tips?" would be best for the FBH. I don't see how that waters down the Epic or BFG section.

GuRu

GuRu

Flash Git Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,467 posts
Yeah, I get what you mean now.
The original Waaaghbbit.

Kronork

Kronork

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
Well, the FBH is great for posting non ork pics, discuss GW related issues, not suitable for other forums, like new model lines, GW policy and whatnot. It's just that it's escalating in my pretty much towards "everything goes". Offcourse, people have different views on it, but it's for the HQ to decided in which direction to take it... I don't really care, since the FBH isn't really something that I check out that vigorously, besides I can't even follow all links, since I don't have a proper virus program on this crap CPU I'm using as a replacement. :lol Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
mecum omnes plangite!

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Bobz Killa Konvitkz
Bosses, I understand fully your point, and I understand the issues concerning bandwidth and forum usage. I also understand you are not closing the beerhouse. However I would like to point out that the beerhouse has a viable purpose as a catch-all dumping ground. A lot of us (myself included) spend (too much?) time on the forum. It's nice to be able to interact with other posters without having to discuss specific model or tactics issues. It is preceisly this kind of social interaction that makes the forum a good place to visit as it is not a static place and personalities, for better or for worse, get exposed. Having a better relationship between posters helps the forum, and the beer house helps with that by providing a place to discuss whatever. A lot of the inter-clan bashing, that we all enjoy ;), might be seen as a lot more serious if it wasn't "watered" down by related beer house topics and poster interactivity. One additional function it has is to keep the other areas clean. Posters are probably less likely to deviate from the topic at hand when there is already a place to put their, deviant, thoughts :biggrin Sadly, I can't offer you a real solid way to minimize bandwidth usage by the beer house and not change it's current form. Once again, you reside in an unenviable situation, but I trust in your mangement skills. :thumbs
meh.