Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Julie Andrews (July) 2017 Painting Challenge

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,545 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

Sorry for the delay everyone! Canada Day weekend got the better of me running around after the kids...

This link will get you into the archive of old threads:
http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=53073

And for those who've never done this, here's da rulez as they originally appeared:

Borrowing an idea from the Privateer Press forums, the Waaagh is now doing a regular monthly painting challenge. I am officially administering it, but also participating in it myself. The idea is, you make a promise to paint and/or build a given number of models at the beginning of the month, and then report back both on your progress and if and when you manage to complete it. Since Orks don't really make vows, they make threats that are usually carried out, we're going to call this your "Painting Threat" --just don't make it a bluff!                       ;)

So here we go...
The Ground Rulez:

• Painting threats will be frozen 10 days after the start of the challenge. There is no changing of *any* threat after day 10. Say what you'll paint, then paint what you say. If you don't already own the models you want to paint, I suggest not making the threat until you do. Painting
    Threats are still accepted after the 10th, but they can not be changed once made.
  • When you finish your threat you will be rewarded by the greening of your name on the Threat List. You can then go on to add Bonus Threats and look really impressive. However, you can not be greened before the locking of the Threats on the 10th. Any additions to your threat made before the 10th go onto your initial threat and will not count as Bonus Threats.
  • This is more of a request than a rule. *Please* post work in progress pics if you possibly can. One of the best things about the thread is watching stuff come together. It's perfectly fine if you don't post any photos, however. Feel free to make separate posts, and then link into this thread so that others can comment directly in your own thread.
  • :soap We need to know unit sizes when you post your Painting Threat.                       :soap

FAQ
Q: Do I have to do Orks or GW Figs only?

A: No, not really. There isn't anything stopping you from doing so, but seeing as this the Waaagh, I think most of us would prefer to see Proppa Ork modelz, and not some weedy panzee piece, or even a more semi-proppa Khadorian Behemoth                       ;) After all, we have new models out there to paint! However, if you do decide to paint something that is of non-Orky nature, any pictures that you post must link to your pictures off-site, or make a thread in the Fungus Beer House. 

Q: I need to change my Painting Threat!
A: You have until Day 10 of the month. 

Q: What if I don't have a camera?
A: We operate on the honour system. If you say you did it, we believe you. There are no prizes, so you only get the satisfaction of lying on the internet if you choose to do so. 
Q: Will you do one of these every month?
A: That's the goal... We'll do one of these close to the beginning of every month... we've now done it for more than three years.
Q: Hey, what if we finish our vow but decide to paint more?
A: Paint away! If you mean, can you get a head start on next month, I guess so. But it's kind of weedy to make a painting threat with a 75% painted unit at the start of the month... as guilty as I am of this myself!                       :blush 
Q. I've not made my threats for the past two months, should I still enter?
A. You bet! The idea behind a painting threat is to develop some discipline as to what you're going to build or paint. Part of the challenge is to learn what you can complete within a given month, and what you can't. If you find you're not making your threat for the month, then reduce the size of it. Don't bite off more than you can chew... take it in smaller chunks. If you manage to finish your threat early, then get working on the next lot!                       :) 

Q. What if I get my threat done early?
A: WeIl, if you get it done early, you can try to make a Bonus Threat where you can add an additional threat only after the existing work is completed. No bonus prizes, but you will get the respect of everybody. Additionally, this can be a way to make sure you don't over-threaten
earlier in the month.                       :) 

Right... now that you've got it, get to it lads!!                       :whip

Registered Threats 

1. Agatheron
    Paint: 1 Deathroller (Bloodbowl); 1 Rat Ogre; 12 Dwarfs (Bloodbowl); 1 Bloodbowl Ogre; 1 Bloodbowl Troll
  2. Skarnir
    Convert: 10 Storm Boyz to have clump foliage smoke bases.

3. Garr
    Paint: X Snakebite Grots

4. Gitrod
    Build & Paint: 6 Tankbustas

5. kuczek40
    Paint: 10 Stormboyz

6. Gorfang
    Paint: 12 Stormboyz

7. Mik McMok the Mek
    Paint: Watchtower Scenery piece
    Build: 2 wardokks, 1 Savage Orruk Big Boss; 20 Savage Orruks

8. victorpofa
    Paint: 20 Cultists

______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR

I threat to convert 10 storm boyz to have clump foliage smoke bases.

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Garr

Garr

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 178 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gar'un Mek-Klaw!
I threaten to paint a hoard of snakebite grotz (and maybe a runtherd)

Gitgrod

Gitgrod

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 38 posts
  • Army Name:Genral Gitgrods Blitzbrigade

I'm a glacially slow painter but I'll be ambitious  ;) I threaten to finish converting and paint 6 tankbustas.

kuczek40

kuczek40

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts

I'm going to finish at least 10 Stormboyz. I need 13 boyz to achieve a 30 Stormboyz mob.

Zbm05tX.jpg

• Garslag and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Gorfang

Gorfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 337 posts

Back in June I assembled 10 stormboyz to add to my collection of 12 ebay'd & partially painted stormboyz. My July goal is to finish painting 12 of them. Likely my August goal will be to finish off the other 10. I'll post completion photos or a WIP thread if I need to access the braintrust about certain decision pathways.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,369 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

As stated near the end of last month, I started doing the brickwork on my watchtower scenery piece, so my threat is to finish that this month. I did  a trial batch at the end of May to see what it would look like and i've done a bit more since then, but it won't be a quick job, even cutting the bricks from sprues is time consuming but the end result will be worth it.

In addition to this, I am adding to my Bonesplitterz/Savage Ork klan  WAAAGH!! I've treated myself to 2 wardokks, a Savage Big Boss, and 20 Savage Orruks to add to my horde. These i'll add to my threat.

So far, I've glued together 2 big stabbas with Gorks teef, 2 Bone totems and 3 Skull Thumpers, from the box, I'll need at least one more Arrow boy and then the rest I will be making into Morrboys to boost my Wardokks. 

I just bought some Waagh Flesh Green paint and some Warpstone layer, so I think i'll paint this unit mainly  the traditional green rather than the Blue i used for my other units.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,369 posts

Savage Orruk Big Boss completed - and 2 Wardokks too

I'm also green on 2 more Big Stikkas and an Arrowboy to complete the units

I've also included some other recent pics as Photobucket is acting the maggot and blocked my photo sharing  :blush

victorpofa

victorpofa

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 397 posts
  • Army Name:Da Killy Karrs Speed Freeks

I fergot ta post da threat for Julie Andrews.  I threaten to paint 20 Cultists.

The Elder Party
Cthulhu/Nyrlathotep in '20
Why Settle For A Lesser Evil?

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,545 posts

My threat isn't looking good. July has proven to be extremely busy at work, and then my vacation time will take me away from my painting desk! Eek :eek

Oh yes, and I have a commission that will land on my desk on Monday and needs to be dealt with as soon as it does. Ah well. The deathroller will get painted soon...

Let's see how things go. I still have about 9 days of viable painting time.

______Agatheron \_______

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Skarnir is a useless git. let none of you forget that!

Been too busy with DIY since we moved at the start of the month and now trying to pull straws together for a new car is taking up a lot of my time.

I have 3 days off the this week. two of which ill spend some time on the stormboyz.

I only have to remember ehich box they were stored in.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,545 posts

Sooooo... I will be a completely weedy git this month. I now have the commission in hand, which I will get done, but that's not part of my threat.

In addition, I am going to be away from a computer for much of the next two weeks, so my ability to even post stuff will be limited. 

I am going to post the August painting challenge today, just to give people a head-start, and since I won't be able to post it come August 1st.

______Agatheron \_______

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,369 posts

I'm green on all of the following so far:

2 wardokks,

a Savage Big Boss, 

4 big stabbas with Gorks teef as I repainted all four the new green colour i mixed,

2 Bone totems and 3 Skull Thumpers, 

one Arrow boy and ten more Morrboys to boost my Wardokks Kop Rukk. 

My tower is about half built now, but i got bored and started painting Savage Orruks instead . I'm about to start building again this weekend.

In the end I found that the dark green primer made the Savage orruks too dark, even after a coat of Waaagh Flesh Green, or even the lighter base of Loren Forest greem and a coat or two of Warpstone green, so i mixed up some Waaagh Flesh with some Flash Gitz Yellow thta i'd added too much water to previously to make a really pale green which worked a treat as a finishing coat. I also switched from Coelia Greenshade to Agrax Earthshade for shading which didnt darken the models as much too.