Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alternate Flash Gitz models?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Nefairius

Nefairius

Grapple Arm

• Blood Axez
  • 558 posts
  • Army Name:Mekboss Morgrim's Waaagh!

My next plan is to build out a big mob of Flash Gitz. I like the GW models, but I want to keep my options open- does anyone know another maker with some high quality Flash Gitz equivalent? Conversions are of course not a technical problem but I don't have as much time so I'd like to start with a base that won't need as much work.I'm not super into the pirate theme with Badrukk and whatnot but I don't hate it either.

I could always chop up some of my leftover deffguns and put them on some nobz, but maybe there's something neat out there?

Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,146 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

They do combine quite well with the nobz kit if you cut the mid 'breach' section of the snazzguns down to one 'cover length' from the two cover lengths that GW model them with, this leaves five spare breach covers which can be applied to the nobz' kombi weapons to beef them up a bit so you end up with this sort of thing - http://www.the-waaag...=52648&p=706778

Five of the weapons are snazzguns and the other four are modded kombishootas, four of the bodies are flashgitz and the other five are nobz.

• Nefairius likes this

Nefairius

Nefairius

Grapple Arm

• Blood Axez
  • 558 posts

They do combine quite well with the nobz kit if you cut the mid 'breach' section of the snazzguns down to one 'cover length' from the two cover lengths that GW model them with, this leaves five spare breach covers which can be applied to the nobz' kombi weapons to beef them up a bit so you end up with this sort of thing - http://www.the-waaag...=52648&p=706778

Five of the weapons are snazzguns and the other four are modded kombishootas, four of the bodies are flashgitz and the other five are nobz.

You have a superb hand at making models look field-worn. The patina work is top notch.

I was thinking about using some nobs to fluff out a force, I don't want 20 of mostly the same set of 5 after all. I was thinking too maybe I could cybork them up, they should all have gitfindas anyway. I didn't have a specific theme in mind beyond something that doesn't clash with my Afrikakorps/Desertrats theme, buy cybork-kommando blood axe flash gitz. Maybe some berets? I wonder if anyone makes some good nob-sized cybork parts.

• Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,146 posts

Cheers for the Comps. I originally did the guns quite clean but they looked way too plasticky so I hadn't much choice but to grubby them up a bit. Afraid I can't help with the other stuff although there is a lot of variation to be had by just mixing up the weapons, bodies, arms, heads and paint jobs. Good luck sorting some for yourself.

Nefairius

Nefairius

Grapple Arm

• Blood Axez
  • 558 posts

So I'm in a bind: I can find anything I want, but not at the size that I want. Everything is either boy or boss sized, no medium, as it were. What the hell do I do now?  :?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,146 posts

Are you any good with Milliput or GS :biggrin

Nefairius

Nefairius

Grapple Arm

• Blood Axez
  • 558 posts

Are you any good with Milliput or GS :biggrin

My skills are limited to making field caps, melding bitz and correcting defects. Never picked up the skill, and at this point, never will  :blush

Go ahead and have a laugh, an ork player who can't carve out an ork outa greenstuff. But I'll tell you what I can do, I can pick up some various nobz and just use regular parts until just the right cybork bitz come along, and then I'll just buy them! :yes

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,146 posts

Depending on how good you are with a knife or razor saw you can get a lot of mileage from cutting things in half and blending them back together again - in the case of heads, they can be cut mostly through down the back of the head, the back bent apart and the V shaped hole at the back blended in. Arms that are too long can have some of the least detailed bits cut out and be stuck back together again a bit shorter than they were. Legs can be cut from the hips then cut down the flattest bits of the centreline, padded out with a small amount of 'filler of choice' and reassembled slightly wider than originally intended to make them suitable for a bulkier figure - it usually isn't necessary to sculpt the entire figure (and the same goes for any other bits that need to be 'size adjusted' or combined - find the bits that are 'about right' and add just enough filler to do the job)  ;)

• Nefairius and Giganotosaurus like this

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,588 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

These guns look good on nobz, I'd cobble together a few more barrels onto them though for flashgitz.  They also have a few bionic bitz you might could use, along w/ some steampunk backpack bitz that could be something else.

This site has a larger selection of ork stuff.  Note when the description is "bulky" that means nob. 

Shortening the box set barrels is a good idea. Despite all the added extra stuff I found they were too uniform for my liking.  I've always felt  that when you look at a snazzgun you shouldn't know what it is, what it does or how it works. 

I found the gitz & nobs don't quite fit together as seamlessly as one  would like, but you can definitely make a good mob of gitz out them. 

• Nefairius likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Nefairius

Nefairius

Grapple Arm

• Blood Axez
  • 558 posts

These guns look good on nobz, I'd cobble together a few more barrels onto them though for flashgitz.  They also have a few bionic bitz you might could use, along w/ some steampunk backpack bitz that could be something else.

This site has a larger selection of ork stuff.  Note when the description is "bulky" that means nob. 

Shortening the box set barrels is a good idea. Despite all the added extra stuff I found they were too uniform for my liking.  I've always felt  that when you look at a snazzgun you shouldn't know what it is, what it does or how it works. 

I found the gitz & nobs don't quite fit together as seamlessly as one  would like, but you can definitely make a good mob of gitz out them. 

Useful information here, I wouldn't have expected the flashgitz and nobz to not fit together smoothly, on account of it all being CAD design. 

I'd seen those ork heads earlier but definitely not those guns, thx.  :thumbs

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 232 posts
  • Army Name:Waargh Kargrak

I just mixed the Nobz kit together with the Flash Gitz to do mine (plus some Ork Pirate heads from Spellcrow), they work out quite well. I had some spare extra combi shootas from another Nobz kit and modded a couple of them. Mixing the kits worked pretty well, iirc there wasn't much trouble with fitting them together. The rest was just making sure I had some spare 40mm bases to unify them more.

jTpUO5e.jpgGYP6Uf8.jpg

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Iggy

Iggy

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 20 posts

I used a pack of flash gitz and a pack of nobz from the AOBR box. 

40928041205_de329c0fc4.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

I found some flash gitz snaz guns on ebay for cheap and cobbled some more together. The base it 3d printed for them to be walkin' da planks.

Once coated you can't really tell.

40928016725_577fe2a01f.jpg by Iggy, on Flickr

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 829 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

I just mixed the Nobz kit together with the Flash Gitz to do mine (plus some Ork Pirate heads from Spellcrow), they work out quite well. I had some spare extra combi shootas from another Nobz kit and modded a couple of them. Mixing the kits worked pretty well, iirc there wasn't much trouble with fitting them together. The rest was just making sure I had some spare 40mm bases to unify them more.

jTpUO5e.jpgGYP6Uf8.jpg

Don't those after-market heads look wonderful next to the featureless GW wunz!
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,146 posts

Don't those after-market heads look wonderful next to the featureless GW wunz!

Yeah, GW really could do with making the jaws separate from the heads - it'd give them more scope for sculpting the face and the customer more options for varying the faces.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,146 posts

Zogga :bang  - wrong thredd  :blush

Nefairius

Nefairius

Grapple Arm

• Blood Axez
  • 558 posts

Thanks for the input fellas. Looks like I'll get a box of gitz and mix them up with some whatever nobz + spellcrow heads. No pirates though, I decided I don't want any pirates stinkin' up my waaagh!. All I've got left to decide is weapons. The regular snazzguns are ok but I've always had a huge hardon for heavy firepower in voluminous quantities. IE: Miniguns! I could make them, just look at this simple conversion here. Some plastic tubes (q-tips?) with a line of greenstuff around them, glued to the magazine of a deffgun stuck to a shoota. but I'd rather buy some mostly already made and just add a few other bits. It seems house projects always eat up my freetime (when I'm not shitposting on the internet)

So, my next question: has anyone around here used or seen these maxmini, miniguns? I'm worried they'll look too weedy in beefy ork nob hands. Some of the others I've seen might be too big. These ones on puppetwar might be just right, just gotta make some handles and an ammo feed.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,588 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I bet the Kromlech ones would be better. 

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 425 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

"No pirates though, I decided I don't want any pirates stinkin' up my waaagh!"  :thumbs  :thumbs   Orks in pirate garb have always struck me as being odd. How would they know what pirates are?  :?  Is someone going to tell me that Orks picked up the pirate concept up from reading a weedy 'oomie history book?  :nono I do like the minigun idea.  :love  The Kromlech, MaxMinni, and Puppetswar miniguns are nice, but have a very beakie look to them (Puppetswar looks the most generic, and are be the best of the lot, imho). Make your own miniguns with small diameter aluminum or brass tubing; both metals cut easily, and don't deform while cutting like plastic can. Use superglue to attach the barrels, it's not hard to make your own weapons. Always try to challenge your modeling skills, that's how you get better. Things get easier to do as your experience increases.  :yes Happy converting!