Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Borzokk's Waaagh Demons

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts
  • Army Name:Waargh Kargrak

This is a bit of a side project from my regular army, Waaagh Kargrak. When 7th ed came around and opened up the army selection and allies rules, plus Daemonology, I became enamoured with the idea of making Orky 'Counts-as' units for other forces. I may already have posted elsewhere about my Chaos Cultist Diggas and Shankfist da Eversork Assassin.

Anyway, the 'fluff' behind this is that Orky Psychic Powers have always included the manifestation of glowy green semi-physical objects, such as the Hand and Foot of Gork and 'Eadbutt. What would happen if a Weirdboy somehow learnt how to focus on this and create konstructs which would hang around in the real world for longer? Possibly as a result of unknown Daemonic possession influencing their powers (thinking back to some original fluff about Warpheads actually being possessed by Demons but retaining control because of the weird nature of the ork psyche)...

Originally this would simply be represented by a Weirdboy using Maelific Daemonology, and using Orky models for the Demons summoned, but over time this has grown into the idea of using a Khorne Daemonkin list.

Anyway, this started with my original proof of concept mini, an AOW Savage Orc Boss. I originally picked him up for use as a 'Headhunta' leading some Snakebite Kommandos but I never got around to them, so he got re-purposed into a Herald of Khorne:

77nKIYh.jpgbs2ujpG.jpgVCF4ae9.jpg

The colour scheme is an extension of my existing 'glowy bits' as used on a lot of my Orks, essentially the mini is undercoated white, painted fluorescent yellow and then coloured with various washes. My original thought was to go all-green (think Green Lantern style) but I decided that'd look too boring so I added the orange and brown bits. Last pic is for contrast with an existing Weirdboy, sadly the glowyness makes for difficult photography.

I was pretty happy with this guy and decided to continue with the project, to the tune of 30 plastic Savage Orcs:

6VEwLUM.jpg

3 units of 10, ideal for summoning. All the units have different equipment for differentiation. Spears, 2HW, HW & Shield. All units have a champion, icon and musician. They are Bloodletters rules-wise.

I also decided to add another Weirdboy to bridge the gap between my regular Orks and the Demons. In my head he's a broken Weirdboy who figured out how to make more powerful 'konstructs' but at the cost of losing access to regular Weirdboy powers, and rose to become the leader of a small group of Weirdboys that he taught the ability to. I used a more recent Savage Orc shaman I got cheap at a wargames show, and he became Borzokk:

2adQEfN.jpgWYxd0an.jpg7qxvTjC.jpg

I decided he'd have 'summoned' his ride as opposed to the earlier Weridboy riding a 'real' boar, as the newer board have much more exaggerated features, almost like the Orks had imagined them. Any Boar Boyz I add to the regular army will therefore be riding old style boars for consistency.

I have a few house rules in mind for Borzokk (Weirdboy, ML2, can only use Maelific Daemonology, gains the Daemon rule and the Cavalry unit type, Demons he summons are treated as Allies of Convenience) but so far nothing final.

Anyway, with the release of the new Orruks I decided to take things further and expand the Waaagh Demons into an allied Khorne Daemonkin army. While I like most of the Orruks I find them just a bit too cartoony and exaggerated to work as 'regular' Orks, but that's no problem for an army conjured out of Waaagh power by the imagination of a Weirdboy!

To this extent I have painted up a unit of Brutes to act as Possessed (as these are required to run a Slaughtercult). I think of them as Orks who have been merged with the Waaagh Demons in an attempt to keep them stable for longer and thus become more powerful. The Possessed are failures/partial successes, as their Konstructs flicker and fade at inopportune moments (i.e. the random table for abilities):

oW3iax3.jpg

Paints wise they are a combination of my traditional techniques mixed with the glowy effects for their skin and weaponry. I may go back and add some more glyphs etc. to the armour to tie them in with Borzokk a bit better but I'm happy with them for now.

Additionally I have also painted up the 'success story' for the merging, a Daemon Prince. Possibly he started as a Warboss, or maybe the merging was so successful he grew massively, who can say?

HFYatFH.jpgEohd0Ld.jpg

Going forward, I have a unit of Gore-Gruntas to stand in as Juggernauts (I hate the mounts as actual big boars, but they're fine for the imagination of Weirdboys!), Wyvern 'Blloodthirster's, and another unit of Savage Orcs on the way. I'm thinking of trying to track down something like the old FW Rogue Idol for use as a Maulerfiend. My main quandary is deciding how to represent Flash Hounds - I'm thinking of either using packs of Squigs, or possibly Savage Orc boar boyz (either with or without riders). Anyway, I'll try remember to update this with whatever I decide on in the future!

• Ryan likes this

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts

Slowly continuing with this, I made a Blood Point tracker to go along with them:

EPusd1S.jpggfQVNa2.jpglmz5kFU.jpgi3XAbkI.jpg

The main idol is an MDF 'first player marker' I got as part of a Kickstarter, can also double as an objective in game.

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I like the use of fantasy orcs for this project. That will really make them stand out as something other than 40k orcs. The glow effects are really very accomplished, too.
"Parry the 6!"

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts
Finally some progress for this project!

First up some Fleshhounds - simple Savage Orc Boarboyz without the Boyz (I'll eventually find a use for them!)
LL6Yfu5.jpg

Next up are the Bloodcrushers, these are just Gore Gruntas. I may agree a points cost with my regular opponents to upgrade their save as they really don't look like they have no armour as the rules suggest (unlike in WHFB where they get a decent save just for being on Juggers)
TYXNAgk.jpgHUEwTFz.jpg

Next is a Bloodthirster - this is a Banebeasts Wyvern (or whatever the hell they called it), named SkulMuncha in honour of Azhag's mount from WHFB. I figure the more impressive the 'demon' the fuller its name gets.

szCvRMq.jpgXPFUy6Z.jpg8RPbTYc.jpgaLmstyE.jpg

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts
Then another Bloodthirster, of the 'has a Strength D Axe' variety. Just a Maw Krusha, named 'BoneKruncha' to keep with the naming convention.

1gkzkkU.jpgDxGkbxK.jpgYglRKUr.jpgJY6r0RG.jpg

Finishing this off with a group shot, showing how big the BTs are compared with the rest of the guys. I need to dig the rest out for a full army picture at some point.
L1ImXEc.jpg

With these guys I have almost all the 'pure' Demon entries covered, just need a 'Skulltaker' and maybe some of the Demon Engines. Main plans for expansion are some 'mortal' followers of Borzokk to use as Chaos Beakies and/or Berzerkers, currently I'm waiting to get my hands on the new BloodBowl Orcs as they should convert up nicely! Maybe some Black Orcs too.
  • det likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Nice concept and you're doing a good job of realising it - maybe use your gargant as a demon engine :?

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts

After a hiatus, what better time to start working on this army again than when the edition's about to change and obsolete them?

yEsciEq.jpgQI2BoUS.jpg

'Khorne Berserkers' based on the new BB Orc team. Pretty happy with them though I didn't get very good pics. I especially like the Thrower.

u3Q0g7K.jpgVRbnu5J.jpgxte1d5T.jpg

I also took a few scale shots as people were asking about it in another thread. For comparison: AOBR Boy, Nob, Orruk Brute, Black Orc, RT Era Doc, Flash Git.

• Zagursnik likes this

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts

More progress on the army, this time it's a Rogue Idol for use as a Soulgrinder:

EFXJlTJ.jpg
jsFnKpC.jpg
AgAWjZd.jpg
hUi9Nas.jpg
TeOBcd8.jpg

Middle shot shows off the glow under UV light, I still need to figure out settings for my camera and stuff to show off the rest of the army like this.

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 241 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Is the Rogue Idol by chance named Gorignak? If so, some neon blue snotlings would be an appropriate addition to the base. Great work! :love

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts

On the subject of Neon snotlings, I painted a test mini for my Pink Horrors. Gonna use the newer, smaller NGs for Blues and pairs of Snotlings for Brimstones.

NYqML8e.jpg0W89qOQ.jpg

I also added a squad of Chosen to my Heretic Orkstares.

Aerosaw.jpgxOUYv1I.jpgf6hSWFW.jpgYIHBNIp.jpg

• det and Giganotosaurus like this

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I'm so out of date that i don't know what Chosen are but it doesn't matter. Olden dayz meganobz are great in any context. I love what you did with Nazdreg!
"Parry the 6!"

Dibble

Dibble

Vampire Squig

• Boyz
  • 110 posts

Enjoyed that. Orks and Demons are at the top of my 40K list along with my venerable Death Guard. My counted as Zogwort is a git possessed by a Khorne demon.  Will watch how this progresses.