Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

World's First Looted Kataphrons, And Other Conversions

- - - - - Kataphrons Looted Taurox Evil Sunz Trukk Meganobz Big Mek Warboss Battlewagon Land Raider

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
  • Army Name:Wurg's Trukka Boyz

So I haven't posted in a long while, and I figured that what I've been up to lately is a good way to break the drought. First, meganobz with modified Black Orcs heads and a few kustom bosspoles:

DSC08145_zpsl6pdqvav.jpg

Second, the looted Kataphron you were promised in the form of a Big Mek in Mega Armor:

DSC08186_zpseldpfnel.jpgDSC08184_zpszxpuzhr3.jpg

Third, another looted Kataphron, this one a WIP warboss in Mega Armor.

DSC08189_zpsm1uzj6tm.jpg

And here's a better shot of his bosspole in the background.

DSC08146_zpspwggbphr.jpg

More to come, but for now I need to work on that boss.

• Space Truckin likes this

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts

Had all 4 wisdom teeth yanked yesterday, and I'm still recovering. Here's what progress I've made:

DSC08192_zpsq6lyls6i.jpgDSC08191_zps4qepqkkq.jpg

DSC08190_zpsotyapaeh.jpg

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts

Hit a wall with the boss, so I built myself a new Trukk out of a Taurox and played with it and my other one.

DSC08197_zpsyqsin4q9.jpg

DSC08200_zps0dbtzlsk.jpg

Every time I've heard the Taurox being praised, it's not as an Imperial vehicle, but as a looted one. It's strange how a kit could be so much better looted than it ever could for its own faction. Well, anyways, back to working on the boss.

• Itinerate Ork likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Nice trukks! Ironically, the Taurox looks more like a truck than the ork trukk, so I am not surprised that they combine well.

One question - are you mashing up a whole trukk and a whole taurox to build that or would it be possible to get two vehicles out of the sets?

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts

Each Trukk is one Taurox kit, plus some miscellaneous bits. So no, not getting 2 vehicles out of 2 kits, but certainly putting my bits box to good use. If I remember it all correctly:

• the frames connecting the rokkit-launchas to the hull are the front end of the Trukk chassis
  • the bumper, ram and supercharger are also taken from the Trukk kit
  • on the model with the boarding planks, the driver, glyphs and boarding planks are from the Trukk kit, while the exhausts come from the Dakkajet kit; the rokkit-launcha is the missiles from the Dakkajet kit plus plasticard and pipes
  • on the other model, the driver is a Dakkajet pilot (because somehow, against all odds, I managed to build a Dakkajet I didn't like) with the step from the Trukk kit, lever and back tack-panels are from the Trukk kit, the exhausts are from the Half-Trakk kit (needed the trakks for the battlewagon, the rest went into the bits box) and the skull is from Ghazzy
  • oh, and for both the cab floor is completely plasticard, if you didn't see that already. It was too hard to make the 'umie floor look good.

• Itinerate Ork likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Thanks for the walk-thru, very helpful. Again, I really like the results 

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts

The Warboss's armor is all sealed up.

DSC08202_zpsj7raquun.jpgDSC08203_zpsckq4jyny.jpg

And now I'm left with 4 Kataphrons. When I bought the lot, I was thinking of making them into artillery, but I've stared at them for quite a while and just can't see how to do it without making them too weedy. I'll try to sell them off to a buddy on Saturday, otherwise I'll just convert them to Dawn of War style Wartrakks.

I'm not done with the boss, though. He and the Big Mek still need their Attack Squigs.

DSC08205_zpszdjuvdwl.jpg

• greggles likes this

popisdead

popisdead

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 608 posts

Nice work

Saintspirit

Saintspirit

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 13 posts
  • Army Name:Da Welfblaza Tribe

Huh, considering the looted kataphrons - I was actually thinking a little about using their tracks, but then as bases for grot tanks. The sizes are pretty similar, I think.

Looks nice so far.

"I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind dere bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns an' cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash 'eads, break faces an' jump up and down on da bitz left. An' den, I'm gonna get really mean." - Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss

"Get 'em boyz! Dakka dakka dakka! WAAAGH! THE ORKS! WAAAAGH!" - Rotgob, Ork strategist

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts

The local chaos player has gotten tired of painting red and started collecting Mechanicus (yeah, I know, I scratched my head too, but apparently he's painting them blue), so I sold the remaining Kataphrons for a loss, and the only bits I got to keep were the Gravguns. The money will be split between getting squigs (the greenstuffed ones didn't turn out well) and a battlewagon kit with a deffrolla.

On a side note, I've been google searching "looted kataphron" and "kataphron conversion" to see who else has been kitbashing them. Apart from one Dark Mechanicus conversion, all I can find are beakie conversions and surprisingly all but one of them only use stuff from the torso, and the one that actually uses the treads makes them into the rear end of a bike (an idea that I may loot myself one day). Now don't get me wrong, they're all lovely conversions, but I'm equal parts surprised and disappointed no one's stuck a beakie torso onto the treads. I mean, they had that one Imperial Fists Chaplain from the first beakie novel.

seriously%20how%20has%20no%20one%20made%

Huh, considering the looted kataphrons - I was actually thinking a little about using their tracks, but then as bases for grot tanks. The sizes are pretty similar, I think.

Looks nice so far.

I've communicated with another fellow who's doing that, though I haven't seen any WIPs yet. From the time I spent staring at the tracks and trying to figure out how to convert them to artillery, I can tell you that you'll want to build up with plasticard like I did with my warboss. It's disappointing how little room there is at the front of the tracks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kataphrons, Looted, Taurox, Evil Sunz, Trukk, Meganobz, Big Mek, Warboss, Battlewagon, Land Raider