Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help with shooty list

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Repentless

Repentless

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts

Hello

I looked around at Forgeworlds website in the weekend and I came across Orks.

I am thinking about building a shooty list without any infantry troops.

I dont think I will ever be finished with painting if I have to paint 20, 30 40 etc. infantry models.

But i really really liked the Ork Kill Bursta / Kill Blasta Tank tank, Ork Mega Dread and the Grot Mega Tank on Forgeworlds website.

From GWs website I really like the Gorkanaut, Morkanaut and all the flyers.

Now my question is if it would be possible to build a list from these models, competetiveness is not really a focus but it would be nice if the list would not be doomed right from the start.

I would also appreciate to hear suggestions on what I should add to the list that are not mentioned above.

Thanks for the help.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 340 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

it's very difficult as Orks have under powered and expensive shooting. However, the dakka jet is amazing for shooting! They're cheap, durable and hit on a 4 with -1 ap! Buy a few, Slap some magnets on them to interchange them between flyers in case you get bored of dakka jets and boom! A kinda shooty list! Killa Kans are very expensive but also have good 4+ shooting with Mek Gunz also having a 4+ to hit. If you research hard and really slim down to a mek force you can probably make something that works. 

Repentless

Repentless

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping some of those lovely Forgeworld tanks would be good.

It does not have to be shooting, a combination of shooting and cc is also perfectly fine.

I just want to build an ork army consisting of the big models.

I will never be able to finish a ton of infantry models.

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
The kill tank is a good shooty tank from Fw with good points pricing

Repentless

Repentless

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts

That sounds good, would 3 of those be too much ?

And what about the Stompa, is that any good ?

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 340 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
No, not a stompa... i've seen some people make the argument that the stompa is the most worthless unit in 40k XD

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,740 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Don't know about worthless, overpriced fire magnet possibly :?

Repentless

Repentless

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts

Ohhh thanks for the info. then definitely not a stompa.

What about 3 killtanks then ? That is 3 LOW choices:)

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
I have made some lists with 3 kill tanks. Maybe not most competitive but looks fun on paper.

1000 points gets you 3, leaving 1000 more in tourney list to fill out stuff

100 on a bike KFF mek
210 gets 3 squads of 10 boys within BC nob leaders to ride in tanks and jump out to grab obj

Leaves 6 spots open for riders in tanks and still 700ish points to spend. Could run like 4-5 dakka jets, lol.

Run 2 hq so your 3 boys squads count as a battalion and give you 3 extra Cp

Racks of Rokkits on the tanks imho, 4+ bs as good as it gets, better to put Rokkits on them over anything else in our army

Repentless

Repentless

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts

Thanks again for the reply.

Unfortunately I will never finish 30 infantry models.

I know myself too well, I just loose the interest before I am done.

Around 5-10 infantry models max. is something I would do.

But my interest is the big stuff:)

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
In that case, consider idea of a waaaGh council. Nothing but war bosses and nobs/painboys.

Could try running 10 weirdboys inside one tank for 620.

Jump them all out and smite the shiiiit out of some poor git

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
Just thinking here. What about SIX kill tanks? Could fit them in 2k

Repentless

Repentless

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts

6 Killtanks would be fantastic, and I would just love building and painting 6 killtanks, that model just looks fantastic.

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
I would say to build some from scratch etc! Don't make em all look alike. Most people seem to argue that no two vehicles should look the same in an army of looters building stuff from scrap with no sense of uniformity. Maybe your orks are uniformed though, who knows :P only you.

Def cheaper to build your own though. Can easily look up scratch built ork vehicles for inspiration etc

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust
What about 3 killtanks then ? That is 3 LOW choices:)

They are VERY undercosted right now.  I'd place them closer in points to something like an imperial knight, so 425-475 ish.  Don't expect to be able to take three for the points of stompa (which is MASSIVELY overcosted and absolutely HORRIBLE right now).  

New 40k rule in 8th.

1) Is this unit really effective to the point everyone wants to take multiple of it?  

If yes, then points increase and/or nerf incoming.

2) Is this unit not effective at all, so there is no way I actually want to use it in my army?

If yes, expect buffs/point reductions.

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
I saw some talk of nova results leading to increase kill tank cost. No idea how or who said it, for some reason thought it was you greggles.

What's the scoop? For us kill tank loving gits who are loving them at 329 points and ignorant about nova?

The Northern Ork

The Northern Ork

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 276 posts
  • Army Name:The Dark Warpers

the big trakk can be an option... 

the BW fully loaded up, killkannon and rokkits or Big shootas

you also have the deffkopta.. although expensive now

killa khan's

buggies are also great.

But yes the kill tanks can be fun too

"THIS IS WARPERS TERRITORY" Taken from last transmission from Battle Ship Emperor's Fist, Quadrant Delta Omega Three.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust
What's the scoop? For us kill tank loving gits who are loving them at 329 points and ignorant about nova?

At the GW seminar, they stated that "all the FW indexes" are being reworked, re-balanced, and having points adjusted.  Expect lots of increases across the board.  (supposedly this is part of chapter approved).  The kill tank is a 24 wound, T8 TRANSPORT, that you can take for as little as 271 points. (301ish with three total twin big shootas and a giga shoota...and it's 4+ BS!) No way that is remaining that low.  Pretty much nothing in the ork codex is priced that low (in points) for the amount of damage output it can cause.  I'd expect it to be bumped to around 400-425. (rough guess).   My theory is they will over nerf everything in the FW indexes, and make it so they are just other options for the main codexes, and not "must takes".

I'd also sadly expect most of the BS 4+ stuff in the FW index to drop back to BS 5+.  If they aren't being piloted by grots, why would they have a 4+ BS?

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Skitzo

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,377 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.

the BW fully loaded up, killkannon and rokkits or Big shootas

The problem with the BW is that much of it's cost is in it's transport capacity. Unless you are going to use it as a platform for another shooting unit, spend you point elsewhere if you want dakka.
  • AnthonyS likes this

skyfi

skyfi

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
Gw seminar?

If points went up a tad I wouldn't be upset, as long as other point values dropped. (Looking ad you flash gits/manz/PK in general)

Really hope they don't nix the 4+ bs though.

Thanks for explanation