Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Speed Freeks - New Ork Boxed Game?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 934 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

I don't mind the heads, really - tho' the Nelson ones do look more alien than these. What bothers me about them is the lack of muscular definition - sort of ex-athlete look that's been around on fantasy side since feral orcs at least.

Do you mean in the arms? I've noticed that, too. The old arms are ripped. New ones, not so much.
"Parry the 6!"

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Honestly, compared to what I thouht it couke be I have no problem. I thought it might go all fantasy and just eb fat round plumps.

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,728 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz

I'm reading some interesting opinions on the heads but wondering if I'm the only person that doesn't just compare them to the Nelson heads. I have a lot of the RT era (including the RT multi-part plastics), 2nd ed, Gorkamorka, and various others (boardgames etc) and these just look like a mashup. One problem I was seeing with the newer Nelson-derived heads (starting back in WHFB) was they started looking boxy, inorganic, and stiff. So for me, seeing them swing back towards a more organic look is a breath of fresh air. Square teeth and eye-holes, perfectly hard-edged jaws, and straight facial features lacking curves has gotten very stale for me.

Not mine but these are the different era plastics I was referencing.

RT Era multipart

1evilsunz.jpg

Space Crusade Plastics

ork-2.jpg

2nd ed plastics

morkgfy2.jpg

Gorkamorka Ork

img459e8d9195010.jpg

If you also notice. The metals for each of these eras (which were the only other real sculpts) were not only different from the plastics, but they themselves were wildly inconsistent. I like the Nelson designs but I really feel like it's time to move forward.

• warhead01 and PhillyT like this
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,465 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
Look at the almost unmitigated optimism flowing from members regarding the future ork releases!

Im going to end up buying way more of these damn buggies than I EVER planned...
  • warhead01 likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 934 posts
I dunno mantis. These things are always a matter of taste. And I agree with you on (in)consistency. You saw me throw an olden dayz ork into my kill team as a yoof. I do that in almost every mob i build, coz orks should be a rabble and rabbles are not all the same height weight skin colour etc. If i had known where my kromlech bitz were at the time, I'd have given them thst bit more variety again.

I suppose my view of these new heads is coloured by how great Nelson was. I may even get used to them in time. I don't detest them... I just don't like em much.

It's mostly that those strong cheek bones are gone, i think.
  • Blakkreaper likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Shagga

Shagga

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 81 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh! Shagga

It's a matter of taste, sure, but IMO Brian Nelson got Orks RIGHT and you're WRONG if you think any different. ;)

On a slightly more serious note, I've got an army of like 300 Orks with the Nelson-style heads, they finally release some decent Warbuggies and... they're at risk of being to be the only models in my army with heads of a different style. Great. (To the bitz sites!)

Could have been worse, I suppose - could have been full-on AoS Orruk style, which is just awful IMO.

• Blakkreaper, jackdoud, Garslag and 1 other like this

leopard

leopard

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 44 posts
  • Army Name:Gobfinks Gitz

With luck the heads will be interchangeable anyway, if you don't like them just use some of the many spares ones you have

• Blakkreaper likes this

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,926 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

I'm reading some interesting opinions on the heads but wondering if I'm the only person that doesn't just compare them to the Nelson heads.

There is only the Nelson style. When the entire range is Nelson style, one shouldn't compare them to others. The Nelson style revamped the entire range and brought tons of interest to the Orks, because the look is far and beyond what it was prior to Nelson. That the style has been kept for 20 years is a testament to that.  Now, somebody either doesn't get that, doesn't see the need to mimic the look, or somebody (or everybody)  is of a mind that "I can do better than Nelson! Just you watch me!"  and is having a go at it. First we saw it with the Flash Gitz, and now with these. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that whoever sculpted the Flash Gitz worked on these too.

But, we must remember that somebody approved the models. If Jes Goodwin and/or Brian Nelson were to be at some GW event and I were there, I would want to ask them the reason why the aesthetic of the Ork face is being changed...or not monitored all that closely. The face is the focal point of a model, so this is more than just slightly important.

• Blakkreaper, jackdoud, PhillyT and 1 other like this

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 934 posts

Now, somebody either doesn't get that, doesn't see the need to mimic the look, or somebody (or everybody)  is of a mind that "I can do better than Nelson! Just you watch me!"  and is having a go at it. First we saw it with the Flash Gitz, and now with these. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that whoever sculpted the Flash Gitz worked on these too.

I'm not at all convinced that this is a deliberate move away from the Nelson era. I just don't think whoever's doing this work is as good as he was. And I *wonder* if that's because it's being done in CAD now.

If you look at the newer kits there's a varying success rate at emulating Nelson's style. Sometimes they do it well, other times you get that dumb-looking loota with the topknot.

As someone observed though, is really nice to see a (non-kromlech) ork smile again.
  • 4tonmantis likes this
"Parry the 6!"

hakbash

hakbash

WAAAGH da...

• Nobz
  • 6,348 posts
  • Army Name:Hakbash's Goff tribe, da Iron Gobs

I have aton of those old Orks as well. still love the old RT era boyz. 

But the ladz in the weedy blue snazz wagon are ded ard lookin if you ask me. I'm going to get a hamfist full of these new vehicles.  :eek

Only way to be Proppa. But we need a scorcha buggy. That's the way I like to roll.  :dakka

WAAAGH! da speed freekz

• warhead01 and Blakkreaper like this
"If yer aint green, black wearin, check luvin, ded ard, smack talkin, PK hackin, choppa swingin, killa kan stompin, slug pistol shootin, skar covered, grot kickin, dread bashin, skumgrod krumpin, close combat machines den yer aint proppa." - Hakbash

WAAAGH! Da...

Warlord Hakbash

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

It's a matter of taste, sure, but IMO Brian Nelson got Orks RIGHT and you're WRONG if you think any different. ;)

On a slightly more serious note, I've got an army of like 300 Orks with the Nelson-style heads, they finally release some decent Warbuggies and... they're at risk of being to be the only models in my army with heads of a different style. Great. (To the bitz sites!)

Could have been worse, I suppose - could have been full-on AoS Orruk style, which is just awful IMO.

Thisnis what i feared. Also changing their namrs to Orruks as wel.. ergh,,
  • Shagga likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,465 posts
The newer style models are just an updated Brians nelson model isnt it? They arent so different as to look out of place as far as I can tell!
  • warhead01 and Warboss Gordrog like this

Warboss Gordrog

Warboss Gordrog

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 59 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gordrog

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Brian Nelson did a lot of the Ironjaws as well. Anyway, as PhillyT says, I think they are close enough on style to mingle in well enough with the current boyz.

What I am really happy about is how genuinely excited I am about this release. When the codex was announced, my logical brain said that we'll get a codex, maybe a new HQ or Start Collecting! box because we all know hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. The buggies alone mean that I am going to be happy with the release regardless of what else gets brought out (I am not really a player anymore, so I am not that fussed about the rules).

Also warhammer community just said more orks are going to be shown at NOVA. Can't zoggin' wait!

• warhead01, Morghot, Garslag and 1 other like this

warhead01

warhead01

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,429 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

The newer style models are just an updated Brians nelson model isnt it? They arent so different as to look out of place as far as I can tell!

I was thinking yesterday that if this teck had been around back then this may well have been what we got 20 years ago. 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,926 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

Look at your avatar and its digitally sculpted face. Then look at the faces of the Flash Gitz and these newer Orks. Then re-assess your statement. ;)

And just to restate, the new heads are not badly sculpted, just wrongly sculpted. For those who think it down to things being digitally sculpted, that is a baseless/ignorant assessment, as multiple Ork kits have been fully digitally sculpted in the Nelson style (or near enough to it). This new style is much more likely a result of bleed over from the Age of Sigmar Orruks, which these Ork faces look more like. Because of this, the Nelson head is likely dead.

Back to this boxed game...

New rumors state:

Three more new vehicles/variants:

* Megatrakk Scrapjet

* Rockettrukk Squigbuggy

* Wartrike (apparently a hero option, so likely that blurry big Ork with armed raised in the upper left corner of that buggy pic)

I like the variety we've seen so far, and even more variety would be great. Makes me wonder how much will translate to the Ork codex. At least the peripheral game Speed Freeks seems to be getting a more full-assed job, which makes me further lament the half-assed job that was done with the peripheral Blood Bowl Teams and Necromunda Gangs.

• Blakkreaper and Shagga like this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,465 posts

I don't see that as significantly different from Brian's design.  The Flash Gitz heads and to a degree the last sculpts of Warhammer Fantasy Boar Boyz are the best ork faces there are in my opinion.  Its an updated more "realistic" version of the Nelson design in the same way Nelson updated an "matured" the ork faces that came before him.

• Warboss Gordrog likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 934 posts

And just to restate, the new heads are not badly sculpted, just wrongly sculpted. For those who think it down to things being digitally sculpted, that is a baseless/ignorant assessment, as multiple Ork kits have been fully digitally sculpted in the Nelson style (or near enough to it). This new style is much more likely a result of bleed over from the Age of Sigmar Orruks, which these Ork faces look more like. Because of this, the Nelson head is likely dead.

Well, thanks for setting me straight on that. I guess you have all the answers...
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,319 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Just as long as they don't end up looking like the painboy :puke

• jackdoud, Giganotosaurus and Warboss Gordrog like this

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,728 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz

Look at your avatar and its digitally sculpted face. Then look at the faces of the Flash Gitz and these newer Orks. Then re-assess your statement. ;)

Back to this boxed game...

New rumors state:

Three more new vehicles/variants:

* Megatrakk Scrapjet

* Rockettrukk Squigbuggy

* Wartrike (apparently a hero option, so likely that blurry big Ork with armed raised in the upper left corner of that buggy pic)

I like the variety we've seen so far, and even more variety would be great. Makes me wonder how much will translate to the Ork codex. At least the peripheral game Speed Freeks seems to be getting a more full-assed job, which makes me further lament the half-assed job that was done with the peripheral Blood Bowl Teams and Necromunda Gangs.

You're operating under the assumption that GW's intention is to have a continuation of the Nelson-style heads. Their opinions and decisions in-house, don't really care about any of our opinions. Sure they could respond to feedback, but ultimately our opinions are just that. By the way, I think you should re-evaluate your understanding of what an opinion is.. Someone liking something different than you doesn't make them wrong. For instance, my favorite sculpts for Orc/Ork heads are probably Spellcrow. I think Nelson's are simplistic and cartoony which doesn't appeal to me. I don't dislike them but in most cases, I don't find any of the Nelson sculpts to be memorable.. just generic cartoony Ork heads that are almost indistinguishable from one another and boring as :bleep

But that is simply my opinion. :biggrin

Also my opinion, the sculpts are leaning more towards the FW style Orks.

99590103061_OrkBossOnBike05.jpg

99590103060_OrkNobWarbikes06.jpg

99590103076_OrkBuzzgobMekBossGretchins01

Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 278 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
From the pics seen in pf the box content, the buggies look...proppa big. Like 120mm base big at least.