Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork Tips and Tricks for The New Codex (2018)

- - - - - tips tricks guide tactics codex

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Galacticz

Galacticz

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 76 posts

How do you all feel like Burna Boyz are performing? Still underwhelming? I love the look and flavor of the unit.. I just wish they did better.

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
I only see them being useful in a DS army.
2x5 guys with 2 spanners with KMB as an expensive version of the 10-man squad+miniMek.138 vs 120 points.

You exchange a rokkit for a kmb and the shootas for the burnas.

PS...forgot to say, obviously on a truck
  • Gitkilla likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,380 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

I only see them being useful in a DS army.
2x5 guys with 2 spanners with KMB as an expensive version of the 10-man squad+miniMek.138 vs 120 points.
You exchange a rokkit for a kmb and the shootas for the burnas.
PS...forgot to say, obviously on a truck

Even then, they're range is not enough for DS... I believe they're 8" range.

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 183 posts

How does the maths stack now with 10 shoota boys vs 5 burna boys?  With dakka dakka and certain traits, i'd imagine the shoota boys would come out on top.

• Taker of skulls likes this

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh

Even then, they're range is not enough for DS... I believe they're 8" range.

I meant DS as death skulls not as deep strike. Sorry

Madda Mek

Madda Mek

Warbike Nob

• Deathskullz
  • 3,586 posts

Burna Boyz are good... as free upgrade in Kommando squads.

• Nefairius likes this

Stomp!

Stomp!

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 62 posts
Sad that Burna boyz didn't get proper flamers.

Madda Mek

Madda Mek

Warbike Nob

• Deathskullz
  • 3,586 posts

Sad that Burna boyz didn't get proper flamers.

I still miss times when Burnas were good (excellent pen on top of regularflamer, IMHO they were better than Klaw), and plentiful (in 3rd ed could been taken by most Troops and Elites, also as wargear for Meks).

• Nefairius likes this

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 183 posts
Anyone know why they only have D3 shots?

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,380 posts

Anyone know why they only have D3 shots?

Anyone know why they're double the points of shoota for something that's basically going to do the same damage. XD

Seriously, d3 S4 0ap weapons? And you have to roll it all at once... I mean even if it was -1ap I'd be happy taking yhem but riht now I have 8 that have never ever made up their points in the index or codex... their trukk always gets shot first and they die when the enemy sneezes near them.

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

Magnetic Arm

• Boyz
  • 521 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls

I think they stay that high because of their melee bonus. In reality it would probably be better if they had no melee bonus but a lower point cost.

They are just not survivable enough to make profit of both shooting and melee rules they got.

• Lexington likes this

Metal elitist & into game/level design.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,380 posts

I think they stay that high because of their melee bonus. In reality it would probably be better if they had no melee bonus but a lower point cost.
They are just not survivable enough to make profit of both shooting and melee rules they got.

Why would you leave a beakie points leveled 6+ armour T4 model in the open 12" awaybfrommthe enemy? XD

Nachgal

Nachgal

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,217 posts

Here's a very situationaly useful thing, that just dawned upon me as I was re-reading the core rules:  

For you to be allowed to activate a unit in the fight phase, it needs to either be within 1" of an enemy, or have charged. This means that you can use Get Stuck in, Ladz! on a unit, even if it's not within 1" of an enemy, which means that you'll be allowed to make a pile in and a consolidate move with it (the models in the unit do need to end up closer to the nearest enemy). 

This means that you can effectively get another 6" move, and potentially engage a new enemy, which you can't attack because you charged, but did not charge it, but it does prevent it from shooting at you (with a large unit, you could realistically engage more than one enemy unit).  

Now here's the extra sneaky bit:  

You could make a multi-charge against two (or more) enemies within 12". You only need to be able to reach one of them to be able to do the charge move. Then consolidate and at the end of the fight phase activate Get Stuck in, Ladz! and move into the other unit(s) you charged, which would be valid targets to attack, as you did declare a charge against them. 

Khorne Berzerkers could in theory to 3 moves like this in a turn, as they get to activate twice, and then have a stratagem that lets them activate once more, and this means that Khorne Berzerkers have a huge threat range. If they kill the first enemy they could make a 3" consolidate move + 3" pile in, + 3" consolidate + 3" pile in + 3" consolidate, and as long as they get within 1" of an enemy, they're engaged in close combat. I did not realize just how much utility Khorne Berzerkers actually have until now...

Situational for sure, but sometimes it's worth spending 3 CP to make sure that an enemy unit (or several) don't get to shoot next turn, and if you're willing to take the added overwatch, even attack an extra enemy in a way that's not normally possible. 

• qluaid likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,575 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

Make sure you declare a charge move against every unit you want to attack though.  Consolidating or piling into a fresh unit doesn't all you to make attacks against that unit.

Nachgal

Nachgal

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,217 posts

Make sure you declare a charge move against every unit you want to attack though.  Consolidating or piling into a fresh unit doesn't all you to make attacks against that unit.

Yeah, hence the extra sneaky bit part :P

And for all those reading the Khorne Berzerker bit, remember that you're only allowed to charge units that are within 12", so even if your berzerkers can run really fast, they'll be too out of breath to actually fight once they reach an enemy that's too far away. 

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,575 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I have a 2500 point Khorne list. When 8th arrived my local players got an education in pile in and consolidate rules...

There was much rage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tips, tricks, guide, tactics, codex