Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beingmad's Neglected Deathskulls

- - - - - #deathskulls #lootas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

CaptainMeow

CaptainMeow

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts

What comes to the Maximini heads, those are gorgeous sculpts indeed. I purchased some earlier this year to use with my mega boss and couldn't be happier with tthem. Considering the right-most head I'd warn you that it could possibly be too large to fit the Mad dok model without looking out of place.

in this picture you can see the head in action next to a regular boy:

https://s12.postimg....qljgr/index.jpg

As to the other content on this topic: really cool models! My first army was Deathskullz so they always have a special place in my heart. Love the shade of blue you use! I'm also seeing some loot-worthy ideas on your scratch-build designs :)

Meow.

• derry and Beingmad like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts
  • Army Name:-

Got some other thoughts and updates coming soon, but I am way too excited to see this coming together - just now brushed off some salt and snapped a picture.

Starting to look like its driven by Orks!

65GAzdf.png

• Badfang Brassaxe, Garslag, Giganotosaurus and 1 other like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,686 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Got some other thoughts and updates coming soon, but I am way too excited to see this coming together - just now brushed off some salt and snapped a picture.

Starting to look like its driven by Orks!

Or, at least, maintained by Orks :thumbs

• Beingmad likes this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

I love the wartrakk. The buggy.... Early days obviously, but my first impression is that it might be a bit too long? Of course it all comes down to personal preference though.

Definitely agree - for now I've set it aside, its been tough trying to give that a sense of direction.

What comes to the Maximini heads, those are gorgeous sculpts indeed. I purchased some earlier this year to use with my mega boss and couldn't be happier with tthem. Considering the right-most head I'd warn you that it could possibly be too large to fit the Mad dok model without looking out of place.

in this picture you can see the head in action next to a regular boy:

https://s12.postimg....qljgr/index.jpg

As to the other content on this topic: really cool models! My first army was Deathskullz so they always have a special place in my heart. Love the shade of blue you use! I'm also seeing some loot-worthy ideas on your scratch-build designs :)

Meow.

Holy moly, that head is indeed massive! I'll keep those in the back of my head while I think up other solutions.

Or, at least, maintained by Orks :thumbs

Haha, I think thats more accurate.

Thought process and approach for doing some basic weathering on the trakk:

I wanted to have at least two shades of grey as well as some blue on the trakk. I also wanted to give the salt weathering method a try, but I had to be careful with my execution when painting stripes over the rust. Instead of salting the model in one go, I decided to only salt the areas I was about to paint, and then mask of the remaining areas. While it did work, it proved to be a pain as systematically remove and re-mask areas, and apply salt in three stages.

First, I sprayed areas I thought would be rusted with Vallejo's Hull Red (a gorgeous color I might add), and then followed up with a dusting of my old bottle of Blazing Orange. I then masked off a decent portion of the model, as that area would be different colors, and I wanted to preserve the rust coat. (I actually salted the entire model before realizing that wouldn't work, so had to gently remove all the salt and clean the model).
gqZ7cE8.png

A sample from the front of the model after spraying it with Vallejo's Dark Rubber (approximate to Eshin Grey).
M63D2ql.png

I then masked off all of the grey, added a secondary stripe through the remainder of the rust coat (area would be painted blue later), and then salted it up.
73fb3cX.png
r6xQLtC.png

After spraying with Vallejo's Neutral Grey:
XTnXbwQ.png

I then masked off the remaining grey, and sprayed with Alaitoc Blue.

Some thoughts - a pain in the ass to mask and salt in steps, I might try out the hairspray method in the future. a few spots need some touch ups, and oddly in a few spots removing the tape pulled the primer off. I've been using Vallejo's brush on primer, but it seems a little weaker when sprayed with an airbrush... 

I'm somewhat unhappy with how the layer of blue went on, in some salted areas the Citadel paint became a little splotchy and discolored, something none of the other colors seemed to do. 
JPsNvVl.png

In addition to that, I finished off the other 5 nobz. No real rhyme or reason to how I built them.
PyVYzGE.pngtpJaSbd.png

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Its been a busy few weeks between finishing up school, work, and more projects than necessary - chief amongst those is seen further down. 

I don't want to say I have a problem, but I have way too much fun acquiring pewter models from eBay, especially when the items are mislabeled and not getting the attention they deserve. Recently I've picked up:

• 5 Ork "Kommandoes" - this included a metal tankbusta arm as a little surprise! 
  • NIB "Orc 'Ard Boyz" for $20 - a hilarious fact to me because ~10 boyz now cost nearly $30. The models don't have rules anymore, but I love the metal bits.
  • 4 NIB "Orc" Meganobz - one of my proudest pickups at a little over $20 (!!!!!)

The Forgeworld Battlefortress/Battlewagon is a model I've wanted for more than a decade, but never had the means to purchase when it was available, nor the skill to properly care for it. I've been absolutely ecstatic because I recently acquired one. A few missing and broken pieces, but nothing major. This is my first resin model, so I've taken great care in cleaning and test fitting sections. Some areas needed a considerable amount of work done on them, one of which being the front of the drivers cab. Uneven areas, or areas with bubble marks have been filled with Tamiya's White Putty, and sanded down. Warped sections were addressed by immersing them for a few seconds in boiling water, and then allowing them to cool to shape. 

My main goals for this project is to produce a highly modular, solidly built model that adheres to the aesthetics of the original model. The model currently has no official rules, so I wanted to be able to use the vehicle as a stock battlewagon, a supa-kannon battlewagon, possibly a kill tank, and a stock battlefortress if Forgeworld follows through on their promise of releasing stats for the tank. When looking at other's vehicles, I noticed that the three big gun housings, as well as upper decks, do not seem to fit together well. Significant work is being done to minimize the number of gaps. 

A quick mock up - still plenty of work to be done.
9jcpCF6.jpg

Without the upper decks
PwlKWwZ.jpg

You can see how the connection point between the chassis and the left side skirt has heavily rebuilt, this part was heavily warped and very fragile. I removed the rivets and most damaged sections, and have rebuilt it with plasticard and white putty. Plenty more to be done there. 
Iwgcmwk.png

Very little of this area will be seen once the model is completed, but it needed to be rebuilt regardless.
WjWmvWC.png

Magnets have been placed at the front and back of the platforms over the treads, allowing me to easily switch between a battlewagon and battlefortress. The decking was built with plasticard - too funny looking at it now, the gap is above the gap in the sideskirts, not above the ladder. Gotta fix that before adding more details!
CaNHsmW.jpg2OKMOAU.jpg

Showing the fit of the battlefortress enclosure. While its not shown here, I've built this up about 2-2.5mm on each side to improve the fit. 
N0QUjUi.jpg

• DocNuK, Snarknit Grokguzz and Giganotosaurus like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Grats on the FW Battle Fortress. I have been looking for one too, but have not been able to afford the prices.