Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Speed Freak ideas and no wuts

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

uberdark

uberdark

Periscope

• Evil Sunz
  • 787 posts
  • Army Name:WAZDAKKA'S WAAAAGH!!!

I am currently considering getting back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus.  But know nothing of the newest addition and want to play some speed freaks again as I have heard they work quite well.  Anyone have some list builds or good units that work well with the speed freak ideal? Also, apologies if I posted in the wrong area. I THINK this is the right un'.

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 260 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

A few notes:

Of the new vehicles, the scrapjet, shokkjump dragster, and deffkilla wartrike are the most useful. Using the wartrike with the Vigilus Kult of Speed rules is much better than the Codex version. 

Warbikes are so-so, I have had good results but others have not. I use them to screen more valuable units by providing an immediate threat. More durable in melee than you expect.

The Index has warboss on warbike and Zhadsnark, as well as a Big Mek on bike not in the codex, but still legal. These are excellent units.

Overall, Orks are MUCH better than 7th edition.

There are several old threads on this forum that will give you more specifics. Look for dates around when the Codex was released. Or look for threads started by Greggles, he always gets lots of feedback.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I run mostly Evil Sunz.  They are amazing this edition.

Normally I go with battle wagons and the new buggies as my core, with nobz and boyz in the wagons.  Put bikers in to go with a bone breaker wagon and the wartrike for three first turn chargers.  The Blitz Brigade detachment will let you jack up a wagon to get rerollable charges along with ramming speed.

uberdark

uberdark

Periscope

• Evil Sunz
  • 787 posts

What do you guys think about Lootas?  Do they have a place in a speed freaks list?

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 260 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Lootas need to be screened otherwise they get shot off the table. You could load them in a trukk/battlewagon and not move so they don't need 6's to hit. In non-SUNZ lists they are screened by grots and you play the GROT SHIELD stratagem. 

I generally play Deathskullz with fast attack  units thrown in, because I incorporate any models I have recently completed/ painted, but that is just me.

Like PhillyT, I use BWs with boyz or Nobz. I tend to use the Bonebreaka variant, like those mortal wounds. 

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Moronik

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,471 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.
Lootas are better off in a separate detachment under a different klan.
I'd take TBs in a speed freak list/detachment.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,448 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Lots of wagons with rollas seem to be doing well.

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 374 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
I think it is viable.

Buggies in all its forms, battlewagons, trucks and bikers+flyers supporting.

Evil suns with the special detachment of speed freaks (vigilus) is the clan to go.
Maybe even mixed with blood axes for the pseudo "hit and run".

uberdark

uberdark

Periscope

• Evil Sunz
  • 787 posts

Great stuff here ya mangy' gits.  ;)  lol.  I was looking at doing looted wagons and even karts in my army but not sure if I should be doing that.  Also considering putting in a large amount of ork boyz with a screen of gretchin that move up the middle and taking a large amount of bikes, but looking at the idea of putting them in the battlewagon with the deff rolla is also a possibility.  Of course I'm going to be putting in dragstas and a trike, but not sure how to build a proper krumpin list. So many options to consider.