Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Great Shaman

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts

This model has been one of my favourites for a long time, can't believe this is the first time I've painted it.

KpTjt9A.jpg

zymZ5XH.jpg

I tried to paint some otherwordly inner blue glow to the shamanny magic bone stick, but it did not turn out so good. This was a joy to paint, very nice clean casting.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, chaoshead87, Zagursnik and 2 others like this
Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

I think the blue glow came out nicely. Looks properly glowy to me. And the bone ends look appropriately porous. I think you did a great job with the textures and colors.

Another lovely piece, AW. :thumbs

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Sproston Green

Sproston Green

VeryMetal Plunderer

• Nobz
  • 6,146 posts
  • Army Name:Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer and Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot-in-est Free Booterz dat eva Free Booted!

I've always liked this model. You've done a really nice job. The base is impressive. Is that some real stone/rock on there? :search

The glowy looks quite nice to me; I know I couldn't pull off such a look. :thumbs

Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer 'n Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot'n'est Free Booterz dat eva Free Boot'd!!!
WYSIWYG, AYASNY!!!
"Is viable worth it?"

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts

Thanks, guys! The glow is ok, I guess, not what I envisioned but the best I could do anyway - no remorse!

The rock is made from Milliput standard. I found out (somewhere in internet) that it breaks nicely in layers after it has cured, leaving a really convincing slatelike edge. I press the stuff flat, 2 - 3mm thick and then press some inendentions to the surface with a real rock. After it's cured you can break it to pieces easy with fingers or pliers. It's better than real rock for bases because it's so easy to work: filing, drilling and breaking bitz off.

I tested Milliput for sculpting, but could not get the hang of it, just horrible yellow goo all over the place. It's good for filling small pores and holes tho, specially in metal or resin models, as you can dillute it with water until you can paint it on with a brush and sandpaper over it when it has cured.

• Sproston Green and Mad Grot Docsnik like this
Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

Sproston Green

Sproston Green

VeryMetal Plunderer

• Nobz
  • 6,146 posts
  • Army Name:Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer and Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot-in-est Free Booterz dat eva Free Booted!

Thanks for the tip and insight. :thumbs  :cheers

Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer 'n Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot'n'est Free Booterz dat eva Free Boot'd!!!
WYSIWYG, AYASNY!!!
"Is viable worth it?"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

I tested Milliput for sculpting, but could not get the hang of it, just horrible yellow goo all over the place. It's good for filling small pores and holes tho, specially in metal or resin models, as you can dillute it with water until you can paint it on with a brush and sandpaper over it when it has cured.

Sounds like the standard gray which is pretty poor for sculpting, but as you noted, good enough for filling. The superfine white (also comes in black I discovered recently) is far more manageable for sculpting and less sticky than GS (for those times when sticky is bad). I'm rather fond of it. I have sculpted rocks with milliput before but I never thought of breaking it to get authentic looking edges. Thanks for that one, AW, another tool in the meks toolbox.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.