Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Character Contest

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,551 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

:dakka :dakka :dakka :dakka :dakka :dakka :dakka :dakka :dakka
DA WAAAGH CHARACTER CONTEST 2017

Da Rules is simple: Pick a character from a movie, any movie build, sculpt, convert, paint, and display your character.

You can recreate a scene or pose involving your character or simply have a stand alone piece.

Entries will be judged based on the following critera - Build, Paint, Likeness and Creativity. Hopefully this gives a little bit of leeway to some less experienced/proficient modelers who might be intimidated by the task, if you're not the best builder and painter you might still pull off a win if your entry can wow the judges. 

NO WIP pictures!

At contest end entrants will post 6 pictures  of their completed entry a WIP of the completed build before paint, front, left, right, rear and over head into the Trophy Rack labeled "Character Contest 2017"- and who your character is.

Up for grabs is a $25 shopping spree at Kromlech "Bits of War" online store.

The contest will run from May 1st to may 31st. Entries posted after June 1 will not be eligible for prize consideration. (This will be based on US EST) 

Tentative list of participants 

Garslag

Jackdoud

Karfang Toofstealer

Dim Reapa

Morfangdakka

Badfang Brassaxe

Skarnir

Madgrot Docsnik

Nighthawk

Armored Walker

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 580 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
An orkified version no doubt? Could be fun.
  • Zagursnik likes this
"Parry the 6!"

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts

I could probably find the time to build a single guy.

• Zagursnik likes this

Karfang Toofstealer

Karfang Toofstealer

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts
  • Army Name:Karfang's Krusade
Sounds interesting
  • Zagursnik likes this

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,551 posts

Oh and I forgot to mention I'm in the process of nailing down some sort of gift prize package for the winner. Its basically a Cadillac. Wanna know what second place gets? A set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.

• jackdoud likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,776 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
That someone was probably me.

I'd be for jumping into it, or running it, or whatever.
  • Zagursnik likes this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Yeah, the kompetishuns on da Waaagh have always been a lot of fun. And IIRC Dim's movie ork was the last of them... or maybe it was Ladz of da Waaagh (which was only "sort of" a competition). Interestingly I can't find the Ladz of the Waaagh Komp thread and I could only find a couple of the entry threads, but I did find the compendium of rules that spawned the Komp... here. And, of course, promptly spent a half hour reading through it and chuckling over some of the stuff in there. Now that I'm amused I will do a bit more rooting around and see if I can turn up the original.

Meanwhile, you ladz get on with setting up the Komp. Movies again? Comic books? Pop culture icons? Whatcha thinkin?

***update***

Found the original FBH thread, but it appears the Komp thread has been lost in the warp. All searches for it fail and the contemporary links to it error out. *sigh* But the FBH thread is quite amusing. :yes

• Dim_Reapa and Zagursnik like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,551 posts

And, of course, promptly spent a half hour reading through it and chuckling over some of the stuff in there.

I think that they've made enough movies about everything that we can keep it in that realm.

And yeah, its quite the trip down the rabbit hole going back through some of those old threads. For your SS gift I'd hope to be able to do up Kptn Krum's stats on an actual data sheet but the task proved to be beyond my skill set.

And sadly a lot of pics of builds didn't make the transfer from the old server.  We'll see if this garners any more interest and then I'll start laying out the rules and what nots.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
  • Army Name:Morfang's Big Stompa Mob

I might be interested in this.  I'm not doing much with my orks right now so this could be fun to do one guy. 

• Zagursnik likes this
QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Mar 24 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Venerable Morfangdakka. It has a certain feel to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,776 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
I think Horror Ork followed Movie Ork, but I don't remember now. Many moons ago.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

I think Horror Ork followed Movie Ork, but I don't remember now. Many moons ago.

Yeah, there was a Horror Ork and (after a bit of spelunking in the archives) there was also a Mega-Ork, but it only got three finished entries. Activity on the Waaagh was starting to wane about then (including mine as I had other priorities to deal with). However upon digging up the thread, I now remember Gargdregga's really excellent Mad Max rig that he built for it. Ah, the good old days.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,626 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Bin trying to fink of summit I could have a go at - already done da kroo ov da u/sS Benterprize, tried to get the Blooz Bruvaz to work about a year ago and failed miserably..... I was finking about some OIBs (pertektin da galliksee from alien skum) - might be able to get that to work :?

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 580 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I think da Punisha would be pretty darn cool. Either that or perhaps Lord Voldemork.
  • Mad Grot Docsnik likes this
"Parry the 6!"

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Id do war monger mega boss.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,551 posts

So possibly 8 entries, maybe 4 finished models, I'll take that.

I'm thinking like a month to build & paint. haven't decided to go w/ judges or a poll. We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Now here's the exciting bit, $25 Kromlech gift card to the winner. I was just kidding about the steak knives, second place is the first loser.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

"And wut's dat Boss?"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,626 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Found a couple of bits I can expand on so I'll be in as long as it's not this month - I'm a bit busy at the moment :lol

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,551 posts

I have edited the original post to reflect the rules of the contest and criteria for entry. Also I have compiled and posted a list of possible competitors, if you wish to be included post here or contact me or if you are on it and do not wish to be please do the same.

• jackdoud and Garslag like this

"And wut's dat Boss?"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

You can put me on the list, although I really don't expect to have the capacity to finish and I haven't come up with a potential entry concept yet. Still I don't want to miss the boat should inspiration catch me between now and then.

Elusive

Elusive

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 26 posts
  • Army Name:Gitbustas
This sounds interesting, I think I'll toss my squig into the ring. Question though, is it only one character or would an iconic team be ok and/or can we do more than one entry?

NightHawk

NightHawk

Magnetic Arm

• Boyz
  • 523 posts
  • Army Name:NightHawks

I'll give it a go

Da Klan Projekt
Blood Axes v1-4 2/1/0