Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

j00n (June) 2017 Painting Challenge

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,558 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

June is here! And on to the next project!

This link will get you into the archive of old threads:
http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=53073

And for those who've never done this, here's da rulez as they originally appeared:

Borrowing an idea from the Privateer Press forums, the Waaagh is now doing a regular monthly painting challenge. I am officially administering it, but also participating in it myself. The idea is, you make a promise to paint and/or build a given number of models at the beginning of the month, and then report back both on your progress and if and when you manage to complete it. Since Orks don't really make vows, they make threats that are usually carried out, we're going to call this your "Painting Threat" --just don't make it a bluff!                       ;)

So here we go...
The Ground Rulez:

• Painting threats will be frozen 10 days after the start of the challenge. There is no changing of *any* threat after day 10. Say what you'll paint, then paint what you say. If you don't already own the models you want to paint, I suggest not making the threat until you do. Painting
    Threats are still accepted after the 10th, but they can not be changed once made.
  • When you finish your threat you will be rewarded by the greening of your name on the Threat List. You can then go on to add Bonus Threats and look really impressive. However, you can not be greened before the locking of the Threats on the 10th. Any additions to your threat made before the 10th go onto your initial threat and will not count as Bonus Threats.
  • This is more of a request than a rule. *Please* post work in progress pics if you possibly can. One of the best things about the thread is watching stuff come together. It's perfectly fine if you don't post any photos, however. Feel free to make separate posts, and then link into this thread so that others can comment directly in your own thread.
  • :soap We need to know unit sizes when you post your Painting Threat.                       :soap

FAQ
Q: Do I have to do Orks or GW Figs only?

A: No, not really. There isn't anything stopping you from doing so, but seeing as this the Waaagh, I think most of us would prefer to see Proppa Ork modelz, and not some weedy panzee piece, or even a more semi-proppa Khadorian Behemoth                       ;) After all, we have new models out there to paint! However, if you do decide to paint something that is of non-Orky nature, any pictures that you post must link to your pictures off-site, or make a thread in the Fungus Beer House. 

Q: I need to change my Painting Threat!
A: You have until Day 10 of the month. 

Q: What if I don't have a camera?
A: We operate on the honour system. If you say you did it, we believe you. There are no prizes, so you only get the satisfaction of lying on the internet if you choose to do so. 
Q: Will you do one of these every month?
A: That's the goal... We'll do one of these close to the beginning of every month... we've now done it for more than three years.
Q: Hey, what if we finish our vow but decide to paint more?
A: Paint away! If you mean, can you get a head start on next month, I guess so. But it's kind of weedy to make a painting threat with a 75% painted unit at the start of the month... as guilty as I am of this myself!                       :blush 
Q. I've not made my threats for the past two months, should I still enter?
A. You bet! The idea behind a painting threat is to develop some discipline as to what you're going to build or paint. Part of the challenge is to learn what you can complete within a given month, and what you can't. If you find you're not making your threat for the month, then reduce the size of it. Don't bite off more than you can chew... take it in smaller chunks. If you manage to finish your threat early, then get working on the next lot!                       :) 

Q. What if I get my threat done early?
A: WeIl, if you get it done early, you can try to make a Bonus Threat where you can add an additional threat only after the existing work is completed. No bonus prizes, but you will get the respect of everybody. Additionally, this can be a way to make sure you don't over-threaten
earlier in the month.                       :) 

Right... now that you've got it, get to it lads!!                       :whip

Registered Threats 

1. Agatheron
    Build & Paint: 1 Deathrolla
    Paint: 12 Skaven (bloodbowl); 1 Rat Ogre; 12 Dwarf (Bloodbowl); 1 Bloodbowl Ogre; 1 Bloodbowl Troll
  2. skarnir
    Build (Convert): 1 Stormboy
    Paint: Shadow War Scenery, Ork Kill Team
  3. Mik McMok the Mek
    Paint: Orc Boss on a Boar; Orc Standard Bearer; Watchtower Scenery
  4. Pointblank

Build, convert, and undercoat mob of 12 boyz

Finish painting 2 trukks (see wip photos in last threat)

Paint 8 burnaboyz

5. victorpofa

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,558 posts

I'm taking a break from train-related stuff this month and focusing on my Bloodbowl collection! :)

I have a Forgeworld Dwarf Deathroller to build, and then along with it, I have 12 Bloodbowl Dwarfs, 12 BB Skaven, 1 Rat Ogre, 1 Ogre, and 1 Troll that all need some love from the paint brush. I'm looking forward to this batch. :)

______Agatheron \_______

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR

Finish painting ork kill team.

Finish painting Shadow war box set scenery.

Convert a storm boy.

The eagle eyed of you will notice this was last months threat that I did not manage to finish.

To be honest there is a lot more to painting the scenery than I initially thought.

The current state of the miniatures.

20170601_015416.jpg

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

sorry I'm a bit late for the threat but hopefully not too late.

I still have an Orc Boss on a boar and a Orc Standard bearer to paint

I'm also currently working on a watchtower on  a hill. I had the hill already, which was made out of wall insulation foam. but was too steep sided so I have to step it down to make it model safe-r . I also had the tower already, which was originally on a plaster base, again too slippy and steep for models to climb, so I've smashed off the plaster from the wavin pipe I built the tower from and am currently re basing it on the other hilltop. I may, at some point, re-brick the tower facing with sprue cuttings and nomorenails to give it  a better brick effect, but that might not be this month. 

I may also work at converting one of my three metal Weirdboys (not my beloved Zogwort model though!) into a Wurgog Prophet. 

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Ok, last month I was tinkering with a few extra things alongside my painting threat: Converting up another small mob of boyz. Along with my last lot of mohawk orks they will complete a sw:a kill team. As of the begining of the month, this is what they look like:

es00m79.jpg

Paint threat is:

Build, convert, and undercoat mob of 12 boyz

Finish painting 2 trukks (see wip photos in last threat)

Paint 8 burnaboyz

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

The Watchtower project is coming along nicely. Here is the work so far

r. 18920577_1561399507205027_4162436639278218882190_1561399627205015_1514735747639018882076_1561399737205004_7453486208037018765993_1561399883871656_97616010658085

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

wat1_zpsvwaloxwx.jpg?t=1496587908sewer_zpsgm0ul42d.jpg?t=1496587915door_zpsowvhtl1f.jpg?t=1496587915chaos%20dolmen_zpsccqfiekt.jpg?t=1496587

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR

I like the doors for the tower, what set are they from?

They look familiar I just cant remember from where.

Also Progress wise on my Threat I have bought some car sponges to cut up and use sponge weathering technique on the scenery.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

I like the doors for the tower, what set are they from?

They look familiar I just cant remember from where.

Also Progress wise on my Threat I have bought some car sponges to cut up and use sponge weathering technique on the scenery.

Thanks Skarnir, I'm not sure where the doors are from, i got them with a bunch of other bits as a gratis when I bought my stompa of a mate . I used scrubbing sponges when i did the rust weathering on my 'Da Rust Bucket' Stompa and on other models and like the effect.

The chaos dolmen is from a giant model with the hand part pruned away, the spiece of panzee dungon in the cage is another mystery from my bits box, as is the sewage pipe, though the grating is from a choas rhino i think, the gravel and plants are from a local pet store (bird cage grit and fish pond plants) 

• skarnir likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

the doors are metal if that helps to prompt anyone where they came from. I have four of them.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,558 posts

Hope I got everybody's threat in.

As of now, the Deathroller is built, and waiting to be primed alongside everything else. It is really large, but if representative of the new forgeworld kits, a real quality kit. :)

• skarnir and Mik McMok the Mek like this
______Agatheron \_______

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

I am adding one tiny threat I've just finished. 

I realized that I no longer need scatter dice , so I decided to make up some random terrain die for AoS (i'm not sure what terrain is going to be like in the new 40k yet) So i covered 6 of my scatter die in white stikkerz with Deadly, Mystical, Sinister (well SIN actually) ect on them. That's six terrain pieces sorted! It was hard work, i tell you! I nearly broke a sweat completing this threat!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

My watch tower is pretty much complete now. The only thing I have yet to do it add some luminous green, which I have to buy yet, and that could take a couple of weeks to get to the store. I keep thinking of adding some cocktail sticks as wooden spikes but haven't decided where would look good. 

I recently saw a cool peice of scenery, it was a small dunny, (outside loo) Very orky. I might try to do a unit dunny on a hill, with a smelly run off into a small gloopy pond, either this month or next

• skarnir likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

I used some light green I had, bought from a £ store to finish off the Watchtower, so that threat can now be GREEN, as well as my Wurrgog conversion from an old weirdboy.Wurrgog4_zpsqntl55ka.jpg?t=1497090302Wurrgog3_zps2ovdgvcd.jpg?t=1497090308Wurrgog2_zpsm4gxylik.jpg?t=1497090308Wurrgog1_zps4htoz50v.jpg?t=1497090308 Though I'm about to do one last wash on those headress feathers I added to bring out the texture.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

I started work on my Orky Terrain piece today. here are some WIP pics. Looking promising so far.

19113691_1567418479936463_4128071975914119060191_1567419179936393_7950937907959519060128_1567419746603003_5161737522683919030346_1567418763269768_92175164201125

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

19029199_1567419309936380_7253884464454419029380_1567419083269736_1395165785448018951334_1567419253269719_2136620701394218951519_1567418606603117_72301009728794

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

Rain stopped play, well actually I ran out of PVA. Dolmen hill for Arcane mystical terrain or maybe Baleful Realmgate

Dolmen%20hill_zpsgee1fjci.jpg?t=14971167

Latrine Hill and cesspool with bridge 

Latrine%20hill%20and%20ces%20pool_zpswuu

Bomb Craters 

bomb%20craters%20and%20cess%20pool_zpsyy

long view of WIP

base%20green%20coat%20and%20gritted_zpst

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 135 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Am I too late for this? I am building, converting, and painting 3 warbikes to be Nob bikers with one a Big Mek.

Just bought the bikers Thursday.

victorpofa

victorpofa

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 407 posts
  • Army Name:Da Killy Karrs Speed Freeks

For j00n I threaten to:

Build: Nothing.  My new job has left me drained.  I will have time to hobby later this month, but I may not get to do more than paint the flyer before the end.

Paint: 1 Heldrake

Also, please mark me green for Mek's month.  I was in before the deadline.

Thanks.

The Elder Party
Cthulhu/Nyrlathotep in '20
Why Settle For A Lesser Evil?

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 135 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Big Mek on Warbike WIP:

I have not figured out how to get the photos to appear here, but this is the IMGUR URL:

http://imgur.com/a/9q2vr