Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grokguzz's WIP Shinanigans

- - - - - scratch builds conversions stompa big mek stompa battlewagon potato head

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

I am super impressed with the battlewagon - it looks like a really great alternative to the GW kit. Are you planning to build a reinforced ram?

Before priming, I would suggest maybe adding rivets to your models just to help finish the great Orky look you've got going here.

It really has turned out well, I'm interested to see how it looks painted!

As clliche as it is for this forum, I agree that rivets would improve an already great build. They help get across the idea that something is slapped together out of a mix of scrap parts.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

I am super impressed with the battlewagon - it looks like a really great alternative to the GW kit. Are you planning to build a reinforced ram?

As clliche as it is for this forum, I agree that rivets would improve an already great build. They help get across the idea that something is slapped together out of a mix of scrap parts.

Rivets, yes!  I should do that. *sigh*...so many rivets to make....

As for a ram...you mean, like this?

IMG_9496.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

I realized after I'd posted these images that the wagon needed a ram!  So I whipping one up this morning. I'm out of plasticard though...and need rods, if I'm going to make rivets. I broke my leather punch last time I made the rivets for the stompa - and at any rate, the wagons will require smaller diameter/gauge rivets.

• Itinerate Ork, Goff Boss and r_squared like this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Wow - quick quality work. I also just noticed the crewman inside the cab - nice touch!

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

So, the last few days, I got back to one of the 'older' projects (as in one I started in the summer and has been on pause since Christmas). Da Sekund Tater Titan!  Because I'm crazy.

Anyway, so here's the little guy so far:

787734_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

I've gone with a different look for the Super Gatla this time, basically trying to make a much larger and shooty and killy version of the Morkanaut's minigun thing. 

787736_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

787735_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

Complete with external gunner position and what'll be a fuel line for either the scorcha or something:

787737_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

and his power plant:

787738_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

This is a long term project. The first Stompa took me 7 months and I'm still not truly satisfied enough to call it "done" for good.  So this one and the Big Mek tater will not take QUITE as long (because I have a better idea of what I'm doing now), but I'm still not going to rush these.  

As always, comments and ideas are welcome! Thanks for looking!

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

oh, and look guys - RIVETS!!

787745_md-Battlewagon%2C%20Conversion%2C

• Big Mek Rekkcrasha and r_squared like this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Worked some on the Big Mek Stompa last night.  The head was bugging me, in its sock puppet/Tim Burton creepiness.  So I finally got around to making a chompy jaw for it.

Thanks for viewing!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Looking loads better wiv da teef :thumbs

Worked some on the Big Mek Stompa last night.  The head was bugging me, in its sock puppet/Tim Burton creepiness.  So I finally got around to making a chompy jaw for it.

Had a similar problem with the crocodile clip DCCW on my Onslorta which also looked too much like a glove puppet - a potential victim would die laughing before you could rip his head off, where's the fun in that?  >:

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
He's coming along nicely. Just curious - size-wise, how do these compare to the official Stompa model?
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

I don't have an actual stompa model, so I can't be sure.  But if i ever get the chance to photograph mine next to one, I'll post it!

So, yesterday I had the afternoon free, so I sat down and finally painted my lone trukk!

IMG_9511.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

Originally, I'd planned on converting this trukk to have an Ork rock band on the back. We'll see if I pick that up again....

IMG_9514.jpg

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

and because my A.D.D. causes me no shortage of problems, I changed projects again last night, back to the third Potato Head Stompa:

788701_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

• Nonebutone likes this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

More on the Potato Head Stompa :)

The major changes include the massive buzzsaw arm, with an attached huge Skorcha. I decided to make the buzzsaw a dual saw weapon, as that seemed more imposing - I also came to this conclusion when I noticed that the handles left over from the nerf guns I used on the hover wagon looked interesting, and when I cut away the grip I noticed the remaining handle had a curved inside to it - a perfect slot into which to fit the blades!

oSiSWG8.jpg

I also added his second eye, and did the armour plating for most of the body:

kHZBDEP.jpg

That mouthpiece of teef is fairly wide - he's got  a bit of underbite :)  Why, you ask? Why, do have a platform for ork crew and gunners (and to throw stuff at the 'udder guyz!)

RN7Y7tZ.jpg

His glowing EYE!  It's a bit silly, but I felt the need to do this.

• r_squared likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
https://encrypted-tb...29jyvc1HSCCOs1Q

This answers the size comparison question, in case you're interested. That buzz saw looks like it means business! Not sure about the smoke, I mean big shoota, hanging out of his mouth though, unless there's a ork there firing it.
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

https://encrypted-tb...29jyvc1HSCCOs1Q

This answers the size comparison question, in case you're interested. That buzz saw looks like it means business! Not sure about the smoke, I mean big shoota, hanging out of his mouth though, unless there's a ork there firing it.

Yeah, I've made the teeth/mouth part actually come out from the body on this one - the first stompa it was almost flat against the body, but this one has about an inch between the 'teef' and the body itself, which gives a little platform. I plan on having an Orc or two up there firing that gun or throwing things or shouting things at their enemies :)

Thanks for the size comparison!  It seems like the potato heads are much smaller than a stompa. Maybe I can't run this as a stompa if it's like half the size :(  They'll have to be morkanauts, which seems like a waste of effort, because I like the Morkanaut models and wouldn't have bothered otherwise.  Hm..

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
I don't think the size difference is unacceptable, it's not like there's a mekboy standard build size manual out there for the boyz to refer to. In real terms I think it's no worse than the size difference between some trukks I've seen round here that are nearer to battlewagons, or battle wagons that could double as battle fortresses. If the load-out complies with what we expect from a stompa then go with it, I reckon...
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
You could also cut down that size difference by lengthening his legs, if it really bothers you.
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

It's been a couple of weeks since I've had a chance to touch anything, been out of town.  But tonight, I worked on the Big Mek Stompa some more. I fashioned a drill arm for his Titan CCW, and am working on his super gatla + Kill kannon (if I take it in a given game, if not it's decorative).

IMG_9531.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9533.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

As always, comments welcome!  Thanks for viewing!

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

I may have a problem...."found" more time to work on the Big Mek Stompa this afternoon (read: procrastination).

Mounted the drill arm and the super gatla...it looks rather awkward, I fear.  Llike the Meks didn't think through the placement of the arms (i.e. *I* didn't think ahead in placement, and had to alter things as I went when I just randomly couldn't decide between the two arms and decided to go with both).  Thoughts?  I suppose it's more or less too late for me to back peddle now, since everything's wired and glued, but with some effort, I could remove an arm, I suppose.

IMG_9535.jpg

The Gatler's barrels/ammo feed (that little 'flying' tube is going to be a spent shell casing of one of the smaller guns).

IMG_9538.jpg

aerial:

IMG_9537.jpg

Rear view:

IMG_9539.jpg

As always, thoughts welcome!  Thanks for looking!

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
Very cool. My favourite parts are the ribbed tube on the rhs gatler; the coil around the zzap gun; and the gnash jaws.

I see what you mean about the two arms, but I don't know what you're going to do about it.
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

I worry I've ruined the model because I went overboard by adding three arms. Specifically, that the two arms make the model look oddly weighted to one side, like it wouldn't stand up.

A friend suggested moving the gun arm so that it protrudes from the back right side of the model, and up over the model like a servo arm. The gun arm is on there pretty tight, though, because I use coat hanger wire (tied off with smaller gauge wire inside the stompa's body) for my construction/frame. Removing it now would actually constitute a ton of work (at least, moving the physical arm part...the gun *might* pull off o the arm's frame).  

But then I realized two things. 1) Big Mek Stompas can't take a gatler anyway (they can replace their klaw with a second Deff Kannon, that's it), so having that big super gun can't actually happen (unless I keep it purely for aesthetics, and to be able to take this bad boy as a third standard stompa).  and 2) the unit entry for a Big Mek Stompa specifically mentions a big klaw for its CCW, not a drill.  But I'm wondering if this is really a problem. My friend's idea of a servo arm might work....if I made it into a servo-harness of sorts. A Big Mek Stompa is supposed to be a vehicle for a Big Mek, after all, so it stands to reason he'd graft tools onto his titan.  If I moved the big drill to the back right, arching it over the top of the model like a scorpian tail, and did another similar arm on the other side with a big clamping klaw, it'd be like this thing is used to loot large vehicles.  

Do you think that might work?

Mekaniac

Mekaniac

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
  • Army Name:Wurrdakka
Yes. Yes. Very much yes. I love the sound of the two scorpion servo arms. I have no idea on the rules aspect, but the way you've described it sounds beautiful.

I'm imagining this bad boy rolling up on, picking up, looting and converting a tank with the crew of guardsmen still inside.
  • Badfang Brassaxe and Garslag like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratch builds, conversions, stompa, big mek stompa, battlewagon, potato head