Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trust in Rust Dread Mob: 8-17-17 Da Characters!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Hey guys, Instead of making a thread for each and every thing I'm working on, I'm just going to stick with the established "blog" type of threads, and try to nest everything together into one thread. The style of army I'm working on is a mix of Evil Sunz and Bad Moonz. The fluff would probably go something to the effect that the Sunz had to ally with some Moonz because all their stuff kept breaking, and over the century's, all their stuff got mixed up together. Kinda of an orky yin and yang...sunz and moonz, lol. Thus most of the paint schemes are predominately red, with yellow pieces and parts mixed in. I'm still new at painting, so still learning the basics of techniques, drybrushing/overbrushing, highlighting, washing, etc. The biggest area I'm working on is learning to layer highlights on, and faces. (I have big hands, which makes fine control difficult on the eye/teeth level). For those interested, here are the previous paint threads on the Deff Dread http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=47032 and the 6 Killa Kan's http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=47087 For the start of this thread/blog, I'm posting my big mek with shokk gun. Holy crap this model was insane. I spent as much time painting this guy as I did doing a whole squadron of kan's. The detail never seems to stop, and constructing him was nigh impossible. I'm not too hot with pinning, so I tend to use magnets. Right now I have his head magnetized, his right arm, the front of the shokk gun, and the rear tube. I'm going to eventually magnetize the large shock gun itself, but I want to use a larger magnet to do so. Why magnets? I found it makes transporting complex models like deff dreads/kan's, and this guy a breeze. It also lets me continue to work on painting over time (as I get better and better). Want to work on his head? Just pop it off! Things I need to work on (this model). 1. Teeth. 2. Some color/skin highlights 3. Magnetizing large shokk assembly 4. Green stuffing some gaps. 5. Repainting my little attempt at cool glowing orbs. Without further ado, here is the latest photos.

Spoiler
Thanks for reading!

Orxymandiuz

Orxymandiuz

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 167 posts
  • Army Name:Horde GogMagog
I think your colour palette is very interesting, especially your reds and the "rusted copper patina" metal , but I think your skin and metal needs more depth which you could bring out with another layer or two of highlights. Cheers, looking forward to seeing the army develop! O. :cheers
- No stoppin' what can't be stopped. No killin' what can't be killed.

- What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts

Thanks Orxy! I'll get working on some additional highlights. For right now, here is another model almost finished. A mega armored Nob!

Spoiler

nkelsch

nkelsch

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,573 posts
I like your red! Very nice colors. The Metal SAG is quite possibly one of the most frustrating models I have dealt with in recent history. That is a hard model to tackle as your first model but he turned out very good.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Check out all my orks!: Waaagh 'Az-ard
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts
Thanks nkelsch! It was a complete bear working on that SAG. I ended up using 16 magnets...never want to mess with him again!

I've been working on my nobz lately. Repainting the original ones, repainting the ones I got off craigslist, and setting up the ones from the nobz box set.

Posted Image

Not much to look at right now...just various stages of completeness. They're following the same scheme as the rest of the army. Primarily red, with some yellow bits here and there. I'll take some more photos once they get closer to being done.

But the thing I'm mainly posting about is my waagh banner. I think it actually looks pretty cool.

Posted Image

I kitbashed it from few bitz, and decided to make it a dual purpose banner and big choppa for the nob holding it...so I made sure it had some nasty spiky bits on it for maximum damage!
  • Zagursnik likes this

Warboss_Mordgrim

Warboss_Mordgrim

Paint Squig

• Grotz
  • 99 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss_Mordgrim horde of dethskullz
Good work on the big mek paint job. 16 magnets used yeeesh. You should base your big mek now unless you have already :P. I look forward to seeing more close up pictures of the nobz. A quick question what is that red skull piece from da waaagh banna? It looks awesome. Keep up the good work. :thumbs

Electromancer

Electromancer

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 155 posts
  • Army Name:Da Stompa Boyz
Really like the mek think you've got a nice colour scheme, just a note there's a but of a mild line on his left arm at the back (never feel good pointing them out) but sometimes people want to know to fix them. The Waaagh banner looks ace deffinatly up my street, not sure if it's the pic or the angle but it looks like the fist holding it a bit oddly like the thumb ain't quite right.
Taking commissions on sculpting and building stuff: PM or email at ElectroEmporium@gmail.com

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts
Ya I started on basing them. I haven't ever based anything before, so it's slow going. So far a few models have a bit of textured sand on them, (which hasn't been painted). I'm adding another layer of more coarse sand, and some cork bits before I work on giving the bases some paint. We'll see how it goes.

The waagh banner is made from...

1) Deff dread skull option
2) Killa kan buzz saw arm
3) Nob Choppa, with the axe head cut off.
4) Some random axe handle in my bitz box
5) Something I think is from a biker box? I have no idea, its got forks and looks orky.

As to the mold line...yeah I see it now. Dang. Maybe I'll fiddle with it and make it look like a vein or something. I don't think I'm really at that level yet of making them ultra fantastic. I've already repainted a few models from when I started painting a month ago. I figure I'll eventually just file it down and repaint his arm. Luckily it's magnetized!

Here's some photos of the magnets. I've got 2 on the head, 2 on the spinning part of the shokk gun, 2 on the left arm, 2 on the connecting piece between the tube and main gun. I've got 4 ready for the main gun...so I guess that's really just 10...whoops, I think I was doubling instead of halving. My bad!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I magnetized him both for easy of transport, and in case I want to repaint him in the future....plus I couldn't figure out how to assemble him without doing it!

Here's a quick photo of some nob/warboss progress. Various stages going on here. The skin's gotten a pass of tharka green, but no highlights. None of the paints on the models sans the banner have been washed, and I'm still blocking in some color on boots and such.

Posted Image

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:Deathskullz
wow! just give em a wash of delvan mud and your done! i realy like dat banna!
ORKY ART
Great, good quality, cheap parts, good for ork conversions at: Ramshackle games

Electromancer

Electromancer

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 155 posts
  • Army Name:Da Stompa Boyz
really like the way this is turning out, think you are a bit nuts to magnetize everything though! Good job on the painting, the blacks look particularly good considering how hard it is to do well :thumbs
Taking commissions on sculpting and building stuff: PM or email at ElectroEmporium@gmail.com

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts

Wow...i haven't updated this in awhile. Sorry guys. Anyway here are some quick photos. I have been working on the battlewagon, which is almost ready for it's wash of devlan mud. As such, everything always looks like ronald mcdonalds truck, right before the wash hits :). dreadwall.JPG I also recently added the deff rolla, so that still needs to be tin bitz'd up. You can also see the kan's and the dread now have something resembling "basing". It's somewhat awful, but oh well, I gotta learn somehow! The orks are in stage 3 or 4 of the washing process, based on a tutorial on this forum. I'm loving the way they are coming out. I'm trying to get about 60 to the step before I do the black pants/red tunic, so i don't have to worry about mixed paint drying up. Here's also a WIP of ghazkull. I'm still fiddling with him a bit.  

Spoiler

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
I can see what Orxy means on the first pic a bit of a wash to bring more depth in the skin textures (perhaps dark angel green) would improve. The metal work scrathes and general coulour scheme is really good though, and the later pics like Ghazkull are great. I think the BW rolla needs to be of the smae standard for its metalwork but that might just be the pic or the flash etc. Looks bright and "neat" rather than rugged and battlescared.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts
Thanks Mik! Ya the BW hasn't had it's wash yet. I am still doing highlights on all the edges and rivets prior to the wash. Ghaz tends to look the best, just because he's the latest, so i know a little bit more about highlighting. His skin is made up of 4-5 layers with a wash. The big mek/meganob is only 1 layer + wash. I'll go back and highlight them soon (I haven't sealed anything) to give their skin much more depth. As always appreciate the comments!

Coco

Coco

Attack Squig

• Boyz
  • 115 posts
your banner is friggen sweet!

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts

Finished up the battlewagon. It now matches the scheme of the rest of the army. Took forever to hit all the rivets. I think my next BW is going to be a goff BW, just so it doesn't take forever to do!

Spoiler

Dmitri

Dmitri

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 62 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Rotgutz's Speed Freekz
Skin looks great, now you just need to rough up the wagonz' hull with some boltgun metal to resemble paint wear. Add some battle damage and glyphs, and you've got a right proppa BW.
"It's only true love when you both play orks together" - Girlfriend

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts
Thanks for the comments guys! And I agree I gotta rough up that battle wagon. I'll probably hit it up with some bolt gun marks, and another wash of mud on the lower section.

I just finished a mob of shoota boyz. Most of these are conversions, as I didn't have any shoota arms when I started building them. I just cut slugga's in half, and glued one onto an existing slugga, to make it twice as long. (I also chopped off the choppa's).

My next batch will have actual shoota's, so I'm going to intermix these within those mobs for some variety!

These were done using the wash method detailed on this forum. I just modified it with a double wash of tharka green, and used baal red for the tunics (double wash), and leviathan purple (double wash) on the rokkit boyz. I also only used one final mud wash, as I didn't like the look of the double final wash.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll get some combat photos next game!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
The BW looks better, love that deep red colour, but as said needs roughin up a little to make it more Orky. The troops looking good, Nice group of Shoota boys and the shading and texture is great.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

greggles

greggles

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,382 posts

Thanks! Had some free time today during the day. Finished up everyone's favorite default AOBR warboss. I'm eventually going to be replacing the 40mm and 60mm bases with resin, so I'm not doing anything with the bases at this point.

Spoiler

Kaan

Kaan

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 506 posts
The skin on the shoota boyz looks great in the pictures. I've noticed that the stronger the contrast in tones the better it looks in photos. In regards to the battlewagon, whether you paint the next one goff or not is up to you. I understand the frustration when a model "takes too long to paint", but if you take your time and do it to the best of your ability, you will only have to paint it once. If you rush through it....well.....sucks when you have to repaint it.
Warlord of Da Black and Blue Wreckin' Krew