Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaagh! Sakgrabb: 5th Edition Army Update WIP/General Kitbashin

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
  • Army Name:Sakgrab's Speedfreekz

Evening fellow greenskins, or whatever time it may be in your part of the world.

I'm planning to use this thread to document my progress in rebuilding and upgrading my old Ork army, found recently in a box at my parents place.  They've been lost in the warp havin' a grand old time krumpin' daemons for well over a decade now and it's time for a serious update.

A great Waaagh! is gathering under Sakgrabb's banner, it's modest beginnings currently consist of about fifty Boyz, a Mega armour and an 'Eavy armour version of the mighty warlord himself, sixteen Stormboyz, five Meganobz and a couple of Lobbas.  I also have two mobs of Trukk Boyz built (my GoMo mobs) and I've managed to get my hands on the ork half of AoBR and an old battleforce (the one with twenty Boyz, Warbikes and a Trukk).  So I'm off to a good start as far as models go, now I just need to strip, rebuild and repaint every single one of them :P

First priority though is my threat for the month:

I've threatened to strip and rebuild 10 Boyz and 5 Meganobz.  I also threatened to get the Boyz repainted by the end of the month. So here's what I've got to work with:

GDODe9Ol.jpg

WmJZWNjl.jpg?1

I will get a quick snap of the whole horde in it's current state by the end of the week, it's really not a bad start for an army I haven't spent any money on since roughly 2003!

Lots of conversions and kitbashes are planned, Kommandos, Tankbustas, a Big Mek with KFF on bike and a truly gigantic warboss based on my old Ghaz mini.  It'll be pretty slow going for a while but I should be able to pic up some speed once I finish getting my Necromunda stuff done  :thumbs  Thanks for reading, as a "bonus" for getting this far, here are some of the last minis I painted before I stopped collecting when I was about 15.  Thankfully I've gotten a lot better, but note the super cool kustom shades  :yes

lGYNvt9l.jpg

• brettfp likes this

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Some amount of progress is getting made, it's gonna be a slow grind but I'll get there!

Here's the first rebuilt Meganob and a group of refurbished boyz ready for painting:
W1kCHQb.jpg

And the same boyz after a few hours of brushwork:
S0C8mMc.jpg

I'll I gotta do is build three more Meganobz this month and I'm green for my threat :D

• Badfang Brassaxe and Beingmad like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,148 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Nice job on the paint and doing well for time, should be in with a chance :thumbs

• MaxwellRPower likes this

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Bit of progress has been made, apart from building another 35 boyz ready to paint as soon as I have the time/patience (I won't bother with a photo of them until I've got a really impressive horde built :P), I've just about finished the stripping/re-building of my meganobz, a warboss and a painboy.

A couple of mega PunkaNobz:
OgHonlt.jpg

A couple of mega NaziNobz:

61MoFZy.jpg

There will be a fifth one as the boss Nob, but I'm waiting on some parts for him as I would like to bulk him out a bit and do a bit more kitbashin to make him stand out.

And since my fifth Meganob is getting new killsaw arms, I had one mega armour PK left over to stick on my old metal warboss (I suspect I'll find a different head to stick on this guy though):

lv0h4GX.jpg

cSh7Qj9m.jpg13MmuI1m.jpg

And just for fun a little bit of kustomizin' on my old Grotsnik, I intend to just use him as a regular painboy, so at least now he doesn't look exactly like Grotsnik:

37kLYSim.jpg

This lot all need a bit of greenstuff work to finish them off, but I've got another sculpting project to start today, so I'll have plenty of left over bits and pieces of GS to finish this lot off :D

Next project will be converting some deffkoptas from AoBR so they don't all look the same, plus boyz, boyz and more boyz  :bang

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

I've been participating in a Slow Grow campaign at my local club, it's a bit different from a normal Slow Grow as we're starting off at 2,000 points and the goal is to get progressively more stuff painted each month so that by the end of it everyone will have a fully painted army.

First month's goal was to get two HQs done, so here are mine:

Da Mighty Sakgrabb 'imself

ifnqagvl.jpg

And da weirdboy Wazfug

5lwQSK4l.jpg

The goal next month is to have one troop choice fully painted, which for me will be a mob of 15 shoota boyz.  I'll see how I go for time and may try to do two mobs of 15 if I can.

I've been thinking about the composition of my waaagh, Sakgrabb of course is the supreme leader and followed into battle by his brutal Goff boyz and a small dread mob.  Wazfug will be leading a small detachment of Snakebites and all the shoota boyz, tankbustas and other dakka will fall under the banner of a Bad Moonz big mek (as yet un named and un built).  I'd also love to make a mob of robotic choppa boyz, so the Bad Moonz can sit back and shoot while the bots go in and do the dirty work :D

• Orkimedez, Garslag and greggles like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,148 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Nice work - especially on Sakgrabb, doesn't look particularly Goffy but does look proppa Orky and you can't argue with that :thumbs There's quite a few pix on Pinterest of cyborks and robot cyber-squigs if you run into design problems for your choppa boyz - good luck with next months build.

kreell

kreell

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 107 posts

Nice BB, as Badfang says, really orky. I really like the head you come up with

the conversion of the weirboy is clean.

is there a reason why the skin color is different between the BB and the weirboy?

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Thanks ladz, I'm pretty happy with them.  That 'warchanter' is a bit of a weird sculpt, somehow even more cartoony than other orks.  He was sooooo easy to paint though.  Weird that he doesn't have nails/talons/claws or whatever you'd call them.

@kreel Da boss iz darka cuz he iz old and knarly and ard as nails, da weirdboy iz pale cuz he spends all iz time chained up in da weirdboy hut.

@Badfang I agree he doesn't look crazy Goffy, I haven't fully committed to the straight up Goff black and white.  I'm throwing in a lot of red highlights, kind of like the really old school Goffs but obviously a lot darker and dirtier.  On da boss I originally was planning to go for a lot more black, but I changed my mind because red and even a super dark brown are so much easier to highlight nicely and stand out a lot more on the table. I might go back and add some checks on his shoulder armour still.

On the cyborks, I'm planning to get a bunch of kromlech bits and some from wargame exclusive, but I'll definitely check out the conversions and kitbashes around the place to get some ideas as well, I definitely can't afford 30 robo-boyz from either of those companies!

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Da ranks of Waaagh! Sakgrabb have swelled somewhat over the last couple of months.  Here's a dump of photos of all my completed models so far:

5rFwGXH.jpg

BOWVjdn.jpg

rqLV8URl.jpg

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

I played a game against Dark Panzees a couple of weeks ago and all those flying transports really highlighted how deficient in dakka my ladz are, so in an attempt to begin correcting this issue:

F1RZfZOl.jpg

Ten kitbashed tanbustas (bomb squigs and tankbusta wagon to come)

And my current project, a Kill Tank:

r5oQSEol.jpg

Clearly this is in the very very early stages of building.  It's a combination of a 1/32 Marder Tank Destroyer, some old Chimera tracks and a giant dozer blade from Ramshackle games.  The plan is to knock out the rest of the build next weekend and then start turning a couple of 1/42 planes I got super cheap on ebay into Dakka Jets :D

• Penelope the Wonder Pony and Giganotosaurus like this

Boss_Grimdreg

Boss_Grimdreg

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
  • Army Name:Grimdreg's Goff Orkz
Looking like a good start! I’m in a very similar position in rebooting my old Ork army. I really like what you’re doing with the Marder hull + Russ tracks. Looks very orky!

Current Project: Ork Killa Kans & Grots
Next Up: Boyz & Tankbustaz
In Da Fewchur: Blood Bowl Orcs to Orks
Updated: 29-Jun-18 
http://www.dicedevils.com

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Cheers Grimdreg  :cheers

I've been doin' some kitbashin'

DeG1P6wl.jpgb4TxOHAl.jpgP7IFxZ5l.jpgBxDdK7gl.jpg

Tons of detail to add and gaps to fill but it's getting there.  I'm making this Burna Bommer for a modeling competition on Yaktribe, got about two weeks to get it done :D

Open to any suggestions for improvement, I'm planning to add some landing skis and finish off proper mounts for all the dakka, amoung other things.

• Orkimedez likes this

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

I also finished off my Waaagh! Banner Nob for this month's painting threat and got some bits from Wargame Exclusive to add a Big Mek and finish off my Tankbustas with a couple of Bomb Squigs :D

xoxqYq8l.jpg

bT9oZL8l.jpg

• derry and kreell like this

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Made some good progress on the bommer, I've filled the gaps, sculpted extra bits of hull around the ball turret, sorted (almost) my landing gear problem and made the mounts for the rokkits. And a lot of rivets, not quite all the rivets, but a lot. It's looking messy but it's really getting there. All that's really left to do it make the hydraulics for the rear landing ski and the burna bomb release mechanisms, plus some more rivets :D

M6GMZoml.jpgkCqQUBql.jpgX3aWpD0l.jpgJFZKpyNl.jpg

• kreell and Snarknit Grokguzz like this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 340 posts

great idea with adding the checker pattern with some physicality/volume to it :)

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
Cheers Grokguzz, wish I could claim to have come up with it but I definitely looted that idea from somewhere. It was quick and easy and adds a nice bit of detail.

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 830 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Great job. I'm looking forward to seeing it with some paint on so I can really see what's what. My only concern is that it seems quite front-heavy with that turret (what is the correct term for that?) hanging down. Still, orks!
You know, I'm particularly impressed with that stretch of wing with all the shootas in it.
"Parry the 6!"

Boss_Grimdreg

Boss_Grimdreg

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
  • Army Name:Grimdreg's Goff Orkz

The great stuff keeps on coming! Giving me ideas with my stuff too, so thanks for that!  Definitely looting the physical checkers idea for my vehicles!

I just got my June threat done, now to plan July and beyond! I'll have to start a build thread like yours, try to keep ya motivated with some Kompetishun!!  :P  (not like ya need it)

Current Project: Ork Killa Kans & Grots
Next Up: Boyz & Tankbustaz
In Da Fewchur: Blood Bowl Orcs to Orks
Updated: 29-Jun-18 
http://www.dicedevils.com

MaxwellRPower

MaxwellRPower

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts

Cheers ladz, Garslag you're right about it looking front heavy with the huge ball turret, it really doesn't look like it could actually fly, but yeah, orks!

o9apzSvl.jpgjfvQDYjm.jpgbZbWPj8m.jpgIelznIal.jpg

Also finished my new weirdboy:

E1xy5Nnl.jpg

2usNuNtm.jpgqcERRE0m.jpg

• Lexington and kreell like this