Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Base choice for vehicles?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 385 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
Basing vehicles is growing on me. Similar to the new buggies.

I wonder if you tried to do the same. If so, which choices did you make for the trukk and the battlewagon? 150mm and 170mm? Do they fit well?

My sin is not having a standard ork vehicle, so I can't try.
  • Mik McMok the Mek likes this

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 273 posts
Having standard ork vehicles is for chumps. Loot all the things!
  • Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

A GW battlewagon with a deff rolla is 8 inches 200mm. THe base would be huge.

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 385 posts

A GW battlewagon with a deff rolla is 8 inches 200mm. THe base would be huge.

I bought on ebay a 225×175mm for the killtank, so I guess that would be the one.

Any idea about the trukk? 170 or 150?

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts

The trukk fits on the same base as the new ork vehicles. 150 mm. 170 would be too big IMO, but it may be personal preference.

• Madda Mek likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,072 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Here in Australia we have a big hardware chain that also sells some craft stuff. For quite a while now I've been buying little round and oval things made out of what appears to be MDF and putting my vehicles on them. I think they're probably intended to be painted up and used for coasters and such like. I've never bothered to measure them though.
"Parry the 6!"

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 385 posts

Here in Australia we have a big hardware chain that also sells some craft stuff. For quite a while now I've been buying little round and oval things made out of what appears to be MDF and putting my vehicles on them. I think they're probably intended to be painted up and used for coasters and such like. I've never bothered to measure them though.

I would really appreciate you doing so and uploading some pics :)))

Garslag

Garslag

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,072 posts

Happy to.  In the meantime, there's a pic in my thread in the Mek's of a little Squiggoth  that I put on such a base.

• Orkimedez likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,072 posts
My image host is not playing the game right now. They're 90mm (approx 3.5 inches) diameter. I took a photo of the label which shows the manufacturer - kaiserwood - details. I'll try and upload again tonight or tomorrow.

I just re-read your original post and i see you're looking for bases for big vehicles. These would be too small, they're better for buggies and killer kanz. In the same section at the same shop I've got some other round wooden things which I've used for a base for a Stompa. I'll measure that up too, although i suspect it's gonna be too big.
"Parry the 6!"

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 385 posts
Yes. I am looking forward seeing how the 150 or 170 or whatever fits better to the official GW models.

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts

Here is a photo comparison:  GW battlwagon, trukk on 170mm base, and Ork Snazzwagon on 150. The trukk fits better on the 170, actually.

27ZWtmb.jpg

• Zagursnik likes this

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts

Or just go with this guy:

dDpnSMg.jpg

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 385 posts

Here is a photo comparison:  GW battlwagon, trukk on 170mm base, and Ork Snazzwagon on 150. The trukk fits better on the 170, actually.
27ZWtmb.jpg

That is what I wanted to see! Great. So the 170mm for trukks it is. I found on ebay a seller that offers MDFs bases of 225mm. I bought a pair among other dimensions. Once I receive them I will share some images.

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 907 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz
All my bwagons are baneblade size, I can't use bases on them . Sorry, it's not for me - I really really hate the base idea
  • Zagursnik and skarnir like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,545 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

All my bwagons are baneblade size, I can't use bases on them . Sorry, it's not for me - I really really hate the base idea

+1, If iron wasn't so zoggin heavy then I'd prefer ferrous tables and scenery and just magnetise da boyz feet :lol

Edit - so your BattleWaggonz'll actually stand having transport 20 in 'em, nice :thumbs

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts

The new buggies are kind of touchy, IMO. 

Lots of easy to break-off pieces. I based them to make handling them easier and to make transporting them safer. None of my trukks or BWs are based. The rectangular outline makes measuring to and from them easier, so range is never a issue in a game. 

My original GW plastic BW is based just because the plastic is brittle with age and it breaks easily.  

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,545 posts

My original GW plastic BW is based just because the plastic is brittle with age and it breaks easily.  

Put brazing rod axles on mine when I built it :blush years ago - never had a problem with it.

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts

yes, I have reinforced the axles with brass rod. The plastic on the wheels axle bit has deteriorated, glue would not hold. The base acts to reinforce the wheel in case someone picks it up by the wheels (some kid did that once, picking it up off the table w/o asking. May he always fail leadership tests).

• Zagursnik likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,545 posts

The plastic on the wheels axle bit has deteriorated, glue would not hold. The base acts to reinforce the wheel in case someone picks it up by the wheels

Sounds like the sort of thing that some GS reinforcement would sort out - and it makes it look orkier :D

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts

This is the original GW battlewagon. The rule was it could carry as many models as you could fit in it. I added the big shootas, obviously from long ago.

RUD98xY.jpg

Hq7mJkG.jpg