Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork movement trays

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,514 posts

Hey all, I'm starting a project to make ork movement trays.  This is all very standard and I could have ordered them from any number of companies looking like this:  https://tectoniccraf...-movement-trays

However, I am trying to make a change to them and enable me to magnetize the model and in some way make the tray ferrous (ie attract magnets). I am looking to 3d print the core of the trays to look like this: https://i.redditmedi...ea7741a293257dd

I am then hoping to attach something to the bottom to give it the flat surface it need and attract my magnets.  Anyone have any suggestions about what I could use?

• warhead01 likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,414 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

I am then hoping to attach something to the bottom to give it the flat surface it need and attract my magnets.  Anyone have any suggestions about what I could use?

If you're looking for serious mass production then the plated tinplate used to package tinned foods is thin enough and ferrous enough to attract magnets and the plating should stop the flat bits from rusting, then you'd need to find a place that will do relatively low run sheet stamping and cost it up (the sheet stamping place may well be able to get the materiel themselves at a cheaper price, particularly if they stamp the blanks for making the tins). In fact, a food cannery could be a good first stop as they'll already have a contact who can supply the stamps and have access to the plated 'tin' :?

• Giganotosaurus likes this

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,514 posts

Badfang, I'm not going to lie, that whole process seems incredibly daunting.  I think I would never get started, much less finish.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,414 posts

It's always a matter of scale, if you're only looking at a few dozen to start off with then, assuming that you are looking at about 31/2" x 2" plates, you could probably do a trial batch by hand cutting the plates from washed (empty) bean tins using a pair of tin snips (get yourself some heavy duty leather gloves to protect your hands), file the edges to lose the sharp bits and then epoxy glue the bases to the frames. It would work as a proof of concept and isn't that much of a pain once you're used to it :biggrin

Edit - It's possible that you have a steel stockist locally (most cities will have at least one) who might be able to supply thin gauge steel sheet in small quantities which will cut down on the work you have to do. :thumbs

Edit 2 - If you do go to a steel stockist that has a front desk, don't go at brew time! You're likely only looking at spending a couple of dollars and if the stock is at the far end of the warehouse.....

Edit 3 - If you can find anywhere that's hack sawing/band sawing a lot of steel then they'll be creating a lot of steel 'dust' (bench grinding would probs have enough iron content in the dust as well) which could be mixed with any paint that will stick and then painted over plasticard or whatever else - possibly just poured into the wells of the tray and left to set (do this on a polythene bag or sellotape that can be peeled off the back).

OR, BETTER YET, SEE NEXT POST :thumbs

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,414 posts

Edit 4 :lol - or you could just type 'magnetic paint' into google and see what that comes up with https://gmav.co.uk/m...F0aAiOHEALw_wcB

It would probably be best to print solid base wells at the bottom of the recesses (rather than leaving the holes in the bottoms of the wells as shown in the picture) because if you do go this route you'd be having to do extra work filling in the holes for no good reason  :?