Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Next, Next Three Codexes (No Orks. Again.)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

They certainly can, especially if the dice aren't with you.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Even with 5+invulnerable I always roll 1s on my saves.

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 855 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

Even with 5+invulnerable I always roll 1s on my saves.

The cheesiest, overpoweredest rules in the world won't save you if you're gonna go around doing that....
  • Badfang Brassaxe likes this
"Parry the 6!"

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,710 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz

Sorry if this has been mentioned.. but I picked this up from a rumor mill on Dakka off of a rumor on Chaos, Abaddon is going to be getting a release "on the heels of Orks".. and that was supposed to be a June/July release.

Speculation is leaning towards a Gorkamorka remake but I'm throwing salt at that one but the buggy/track/skorcha kit needs to happen and that would be a prime candidate, especially if it's like Gangs of Commoragh or whatever.

Speculation has also leaned towards a new Grotsnick and Big Guns being folded into Mek Guns with little or no follow on options. I hope that one isn't true but at the same time, the cost of the Mek guns kit is prohibitive while big gunz could potentially be done in a more generic and abundant type of role since it's basically a devastator squad.

Speculation also leaned towards Ghaz being an either/or kit, with a few cosmetic options being the difference in him being a generic MA Warboss or his named lovely self. Personally, I lean towards the notion that given the distinction of new Prime Orks or whatever they might be called, perhaps Warlord will become a new entry, leaving Warboss to be a bit more like a Captain or what have you.

Anyway, not sure any of this is new, accurate or helpful but the conversation seemed to be a bit adrift and I thought I might float  what I had heard in the hopes of advancing the dialog.

• Blakkreaper and Badfang Brassaxe like this
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Phobiak

• Boyz
  • 2,206 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Speculation is leaning towards a Gorkamorka remake but I'm throwing salt at that one but the buggy/track/skorcha kit needs to happen and that would be a prime candidate

Speculation has also leaned towards a new Grotsnick and Big Guns being folded into Mek Guns with little or no follow on options. I hope that one isn't true but at the same time, the cost of the Mek guns kit is prohibitive while big gunz could potentially be done in a more generic and abundant type of role since it's basically a devastator squad.

Doubt if anyone will disagree about the buggy :lol

That Grotsnik model is possibly the lousiest sculpt GW ever came out with so as long as a replacement is even marginally better than the current painboy (possibly the second worst sculpt GW ever came out with) it'll be an improvement.

GW really could do with getting a 'slightly' better balance between till price and points cost - the mek gunz don't need to be anywhere near the size or complexity of the current kit and could easily be resized downwards to be sold as a triple kit (with optional barrel ends and a few different werky bittz) for around the same price as the kans.

• 4tonmantis likes this

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I saw yesterday that the Citadel team, what ever that is, said they are going back to Warhammer World on the 9th of June. Wondering if that's related to a new codex or an information dumping day. 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
Depending on the codex I might end up going full out speed freaks and just spend £100 on Ork mobility. Depends on the price of buggies and trakks. Annoying thing is I don't think I can paint my Ork vechiles as well as some of my other stuff that was painted for me... I paint all my armies but weirdly enough the vast majority of my Orks were painted for me. XD

If I had unlimited money I would buy a mad moonz mega nobz force, speed freaks Evil Sunz bike and buggie force, death skullz loota force, snake bite squiggoth and blood axe looted rhinos. No goffs though... they bore me

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
I have models for every kind of style the army offers (except maybe green tide since I only have about 100 normal boyz though I have 40 nobz).

I dont care whether they have much fluff in the codex. There is no lack of fluff out there freely available. I havent read any of the fluff in the four codex I use for my other armies. I already know how these things work. Would be nice if they have enough for new players to get a feel for the army though.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
My response to bad fluff in oir codex is that it ruins new Ork players not old ones... to me I have already read Dims 50k philosophy on Orks so I'm all good. But new Ork players introduced to lower quality lore breeds a bad player base. Basically Goff boyz hitting each other on the head for fun whole the real Ork klanz warbosses like us become sneaky unorky blood axes for thinking Orks are more than just comedy or Lord of the Rings orcs.
  • Nefairius and jackdoud like this

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 572 posts
  • Army Name:Mekboss Morgrim's Waaagh!

I agree with you on this Skumdreg. The only fluff that matters is the official fluff, everything else is irrelevant in the eyes the majority of people playing or interested in the game. It's all fan fiction, as far as they're concerned, regardless of its quality or superiority to whatever is official. Come to think, its generally the same in a lot of other nerd interests as well.

For years I've encountered players with the opinion that we're the clown army (What about the Harlequins!?) of 40k, an incompetent NPC race to be slaughtered en-masse. If this primeork thing is true, it's a chance for an image change for us. We need one. I never got the disrespect out of other players (for the faction not myself) from my other armies, although I've known a couple people who considered fish'ead to be weaboo trash (myself included but I still liked 'em). Silly and savage aren't mutually exclusive in my book. We've still got the silly, but we're fresh out of savage. We need more savage. And by savage I mean we need a strong codex, one with a variety of good lists. We could stand to win something important in the fluff- we couldn't even take Armageddon after all. Our top guy our only guy, couldn't even conquer one planet that mattered. We need to win!

• Giganotosaurus likes this
Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
Btw, we seem to have gotten some kinda confirmation from GW regarding the WAAAAAAGH AID

https://www.dakkadak...ist/755407.page
  • warhead01, Giganotosaurus and Garr like this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
So point them towards the deeper fluff. None of the armies get their full story in the codex. They get flavor text and enough to evoke a bit of excitement. The last thing Im looking for in a codex is fluff. If everything else checks out is it nice to have some? Sure, but people can hunt around a bit for great fluff.

Nobody does it better than Forge World with the Castra Novum campaign book. Lexicanium has a good synopsis of many of the older books. You can get a pretty clear picture reading the 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition books plus Armageddon.

I can read the tea leaves and guess what kind of fluff we will see. It will be fairly basic, feature plenty of timeline entries with famous ork conflicts. Itll have a map. It will have a couple double spread pages and a handful of blowouts. Probably not overly inspiring, but it will leave room for the people who want Orks to be savage blood thirsty monsters, those who like the zany style, and those in between.

Grimskul25

Grimskul25

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 303 posts
  • Army Name:Gutshredda's Loota Ladz

So point them towards the deeper fluff. None of the armies get their full story in the codex. They get flavor text and enough to evoke a bit of excitement. The last thing Im looking for in a codex is fluff. If everything else checks out is it nice to have some? Sure, but people can hunt around a bit for great fluff.

Nobody does it better than Forge World with the Castra Novum campaign book. Lexicanium has a good synopsis of many of the older books. You can get a pretty clear picture reading the 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition books plus Armageddon.

I can read the tea leaves and guess what kind of fluff we will see. It will be fairly basic, feature plenty of timeline entries with famous ork conflicts. Itll have a map. It will have a couple double spread pages and a handful of blowouts. Probably not overly inspiring, but it will leave room for the people who want Orks to be savage blood thirsty monsters, those who like the zany style, and those in between.

Going to agree with PhillyT, besides a few quirky excerpts here and there, I don't expect anything revolutionary fluffwise when it comes to Orks. If we want bigger and more in-depth fluff, chances are we'll be getting it via the campaign books they're eventually going to do once they finish releasing all the codices. The closest to showing Orks as a more savage and threatening faction in recent fluff was from the Beast Arises series, especially the part where Orks are seen farming humans for consumption which disgusts even the Iron Warriors.

My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
Meh, I'm still of mixed feelings about the beast arises. I personally didn't like it. I'll not get into it here as I've made many posts before on why i dislike it. But basically just read Dims 50,000 eord thesis on Orks for good fluff! :P
  • Blakkreaper likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
Have you read the Kastra Novem campaign book from forgeworld?

http://wh40k.lexican..._Kastorel-Novem

Its a must own for ork players looking for a window into a more serious take on ork kulture.
  • Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
I always like the in between. Orks are serious but also comical. It's a fine balance between a mindset we couldn't possibly attempt to understand. Like the God of madness from Oblivion. He's a comical almost welcoming Scottish grandpa but at any moment he could rip out your splean and turn it into a musical instruments for his own pleasure.

To me it's also about the characters who illustrate this in 40ks overall story. I couldn't care less about Ultramarines but give me a good deep story that makes me care for a single ultramarine private and I'm all in. (Like Hellsreach. He may not be a private but the story surrounding the Black Templar give me a greater insight into 40k than talking about the entire worlds battle). Same for Orks. If the story doesn't focus on a single character/groupmof characters I find it hard to connect to them. Orks are, to some extent, individuals. One Ork might just want to smash and be a LOTR kinda Orc while another might have grander plans from bringing Gork and Mork into existence or even just making something new to blow up a planet. Hell, you wouldn't see a Fantasy Orc want to race accross the entire galaxy on freaking moter bike while flying through the windshield of a titan! It's these fun individuals that bring Orks to life for me. They're not a hive mind like the tyranids.

Btw, the wii isn't woriing for me right now so will look later.

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 134 posts
Iâm generally of the opinion that within ork society they think theyâre frequently hilarious and everything is in good fun, but basically every other faction in 40k would look on them as horrific bloodthirsty monsters. Your rookie guardsman who has never seen combat and gets all his ork knowledge from the Imperial Infantrymanâs Uplifting Primer will think orks are goofballs right up until the endless green tide comes crashing through the lines, screaming and chopping off limbs.
  • PhillyT, Garslag and Giganotosaurus like this

Garr

Garr

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 296 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gar'un Mek-Klaw!
That's the thing i love about Orks, from the inside they're silly and goofy but operate on a sort of Orky logic that works inuniverse and allows their kulture to florish where as from the outside they're barbaric, unstoppable monsters.
  • warhead01, PhillyT and Giganotosaurus like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Phobiak

• Boyz
  • 2,206 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen anything about klawstompas and/or wrekkin' balls yet? (got a klawstompa wiv a chainfist :biggrin )

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts

No wrecking balls but the FOrge World Kustom Stompa has rules to give it two CCW.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this