Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Next, Next Three Codexes (No Orks. Again.)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 572 posts
  • Army Name:Mekboss Morgrim's Waaagh!

Click Here for Adventure!

Knights (god why), Harlequins, and Deathwatch. Age of  Suckmar on the other hand gets more really neat models, with some kind of new water-elfs, many riding around on uh... some sort of sea critters. Many of the models have an antique Grecian style, always with that flowing elfyness to it of course. I like the look, I liked the Daughters of Khaine stuff that they recently released- saw a good conversion for 40k with some of them already as well.

So, once again reaffirming that we'll very likely be at the end of the release cycle. I know some of you are excited to be last in, for me it's frustrating because our best current strategy is the one my waaagh is least suited for because I like it the least. Of course, I am just hoping that we'll be able to shoot again. If dakka remains off the table after our new codex, then my orks will probably remain off the table as well. They've collected a lot of dust in the last few years, what's some more?

• warhead01, Blakkreaper and skarnir like this
Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 134 posts
Anyone remember when things like land raiders and carnifexes were the big bad centerpiece models? Yeah? I miss those days. These new things that are apparently now full armies should be banished back to apocalypse and epic where they belong, they dont fit in this scale of game. Also when I see a bearded guy in a trailer talking about ancient oaths I expect it to be squats.

Anyways...fish elves look neat, looks like theyre taking the dark elf corsair thing and expanding on it a bit. Im not sure how many kinds of elves they need for AoS but as long as they keeping being rad Ill be fine with it.

Sisters of Battle could turn out interesting if they take community input on things rather than just previewing things just to taunt people. It could mark an excellent change in how their development cycle works. Maybe we can veto their SoB centurions and dreadknights they're inevitably going to design!

As far as codices go I can take it or leave it. What else do they even really have left? Maybe space wolves and a bunch of imperial mini factions? And those derpy green football hooligans I guess, but nobody plays them anyways, just a bunch of NPC bullet catching mooks, they can wait on a codex until the end of 9th edition.
  • Nefairius and skarnir like this

Wingnutz

Wingnutz

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 81 posts
Who else IS left now cept puppies and us?
Sisters are miles off clearly. Theres still imperial agents etc which of course must come, but is that it?

Russ is probably coming back with their codex so cant see them being part of a 3way splash.

I know its hoping against hope but maybe just maybe orkz will be on their own too...

And damn if they can whack a new engine and gunz on a knight the least they could do would be a nice big v8 for the buggy too. Oh and a heavy plasma cannon. I miss those shoulder mounted sausages of doom.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I'm not really bothered.  I have three other armies and would honestly prefer they "get it right."  By being one of the last, you have the best shot at that.

killercroc

killercroc

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 916 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

I'm not really bothered.  I have three other armies and would honestly prefer they "get it right."  By being one of the last, you have the best shot at that.

From what I've seen with the fish'ead codex it looks like they're trying to mellow things like traits and stratagems out quite a bit compared to those before. I just hope that by the time we get our codex they haven't "gotten it right" to the point where everything is bland or compared to other codexes under-powered. Them working on it is good and all, but I still don't trust them to get it right not yet at least. Shoot with the Nid codex there are 2 units and 4 stratagems that are useless outside of open play... and nobody will play open play. I just hope that sort of thing doesn't happen to Orks too.

• Blakkreaper likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts

I haven't found there to be a reverse power creep.  My armies were amoungst the first released, Chaos Beakies and beakies.  I then got two in the middle that were similar, Demons and Dark Angels.  Looking at tin'eads and fish'ead, they are very comparable in terms of power level.  If nothing else, GW has done better with balance for this edition than any I can recall.

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 134 posts
Which isnt saying much, but progress is progress so Im not going to complain too much. Well see if chapter approved balances everything like theyre planning.
  • Garslag likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts

Chapter approved was a mixed bag.  It whacked some units that I didn't find over powered but its likely because the environment I play wasn't using some abstract bit of manipulation!

• Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 977 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
https://youtu.be/qMk-llHdQ1Y

I don't know if it's just me but those kopptas look new. Not like my black reach kopptas but kinda similar.

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 572 posts

https://youtu.be/qMk-llHdQ1Y

I don't know if it's just me but those kopptas look new. Not like my black reach kopptas but kinda similar.

At first I thought you were mistaken, they looked like AOBR koptas (man who doesn't own a trio of them? That set was a good deal) but I think you might be right. And that big thing is obviously some sort of Deff Knight. Like Flaming Deth above, I don't like the... I guess I'd call them mini-titans in non-apocalypse 40k, but at this point they are here to stay and it seems reasonable for orks to have one.

I'm actually in a good mood RE: orks today. Just a wiff of something new for us makes me more optimistic, even though all my common sense says that they will indeed find a way to fuck it all up, just for me, just for the things I like.

Off in the distance, I can here the voice of Dim shouting "don't fall for it, it's a trap!"

• Blakkreaper, Badfang Brassaxe, skarnir and 1 other like this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 855 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
https://whc-cdn.game...-MTO11gcslg.jpg

What is the elf in the far right of this picture? I've never seen him before.
"Parry the 6!"

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,066 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Off in the distance, I can here the voice of Dim shouting "don't fall for it, it's a trap!"

I'm not, I'm just thinking, forum full of converters not immediately spotting an obvious dreadknight loot? What the hell is the world coming to?

Although to be honest, maybe I'm just old, but I'm saddened more aren't picking up on the homage to in my view, the best battle report White Dwarf ever featured, the original Last Stand At Glazier's Creek from WD222.

Okay feck it. It's a fucking trap. I said it.

https://whc-cdn.game...-MTO11gcslg.jpg

What is the elf in the far right of this picture? I've never seen him before.

Lokir Fellheart. Dark Elf Corsair character. 

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 855 posts
Better than Battle at da Camp?
"Parry the 6!"

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,066 posts

Better than Battle at da Camp?

As awesome as it was to see Adrian Wood win a game, and beat Andy C with his own Codex, yes, I'd say Glazier's Creek was better. But only just.

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 855 posts
My favourite ever was the first 3 Ed batrep. So many firsts! First appearance of new Grishnak (about when he changes from Ironhide to Grimjaw). First batrep not to take place in a rolling English countryside or a recycled gorkamorka landscape. And I'm pretty sure that was the first batrep Adrian ever won and he crushed the zoggin life out of the zoggin Imperial Fists.

But yeah, everything about Glazier Creek was well done. I had never seen Zulu before reading that, and I rushed right out to the dvd store to get it afterwards.
  • warhead01 likes this
"Parry the 6!"

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I think I have that one.

I can't recall the others now. but the cover of DW222 I do remember but not the Battle Report.

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,066 posts
If it's the right one it should be artwork of a Chimera Guard tank rolling along a battlefield.
  • warhead01 likes this

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,337 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I just had a look through my stash of WD's and can't find it so maybe I use to have it, or not. 
Makes me remember, and wish I had, the collection of Battle Reports that was out back when I started out, 96-97. Not sure which year that book was out. Had the old card stock bunker in it. But I really wish they'd publish more books like that. I still have Andy Chambers two part articles that later became a dark Angels campaign, Storm of Vengeance if I recall. with the card stock power station in it.  

These days I see more of 2nd edition in the way current 40K works, by which I mean shooting and loads of damage. So I have wanted to see what the Grand Warlord used to do to finally over come other armies. I recall he had trouble with panzee for a while.

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Wortsnagga

Wortsnagga

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
  • Army Name:eviil sunz

Well that will make 19 codex's released and still no Ork codex, WTF. I know GW does not go much on the Orks any more, but after playing orks for 23 years of which I have only ever had to buy 5 codexs (2 ed, 3 ed, 4 ed, 7 ed, temp 8 ed). I really thought GW was going to do right by us, especially after I read the Beast Arise series and they introduced things like the council of the Waaaagh, a Beast (Alpha warlord) for each clans and super gav weapons. But once again I am left disappointed and still waiting for a codex with some real flavour and a chance to build competitive army lists.

Wortsnagga

(where are my super grots)

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 572 posts

I'm not, I'm just thinking, forum full of converters not immediately spotting an obvious dreadknight loot? What the hell is the world coming to?

Although to be honest, maybe I'm just old, but I'm saddened more aren't picking up on the homage to in my view, the best battle report White Dwarf ever featured, the original Last Stand At Glazier's Creek from WD222.

Okay feck it. It's a fucking trap. I said it.

Lokir Fellheart. Dark Elf Corsair character. 

Can you blame them? I only think in terms of new models they release. After all, they can't exactly sell conversions and that's all WD became last I heard, a sales catalog.

Full disclosure, I've never bought a single WD; when I first started 40k back then, I didn't have a lot of money. It was 2 out of 3(at best): models, WD, or beer. I chose beer mostly... Still do. Beer is good.

Today I could buy whatever, but magazines are just clutter to me. Anything of importance will filter through the internet to me.