Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Squigwigz--Questions on Bits and using Quickshade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
  • Army Name:Da Squigwigz

Through sheer luck I happened to be home when my Ork Slayer heads were delivered today. I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend!

I have to say I am really impressed with Spellcrow. Not only do the heads look fantastic, they actually sent me a free set of different heads with my order. The freebies are bald which should give me more opportunities to try Greenstuff hair. Both sets are pictured below:

C0SzNa6.jpg

I'm still debating on bases at the moment. I really want to keep it pretty simple.  I've narrowed it down to two options:

1) Simple Urban: Thematically, this one is the best fit. Maybe something like the Astrogranite Texture Paint with a wash and light drybrush. Would that look okay alongside my scheme or would it clash? What color should I do the base rim with this one?

2) Armageddon Wasteland: I have the Armageddon Dust paint from my starter set. I could wash it with Agrax Earthshade along with the rest of my model. The concern here is that rather than clashing the models would just be too saturated in brown.  What do you guys think?

Is either a better option or is there another, simple, option that I am missing?

Garslag

Garslag

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 547 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
The good thing about an Armageddon-esque base is it can look f relatively at home no matter what battlefield you play on. Urban bases look ace, but will look funny if you plonk the guys down on an ice world table one day.
  • Boss Badgrub likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

That's good advice. You don't think going that route will, "Brown Out" the models?

Also, what's the closest color to the color of the Armageddon Dust Texture Paint? Is it Zandri Dust?

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Weekend Progress Update:

I've managed to get Da Squigwigz assembled. I've got enough parts left over that I can still make a few more boyz, but as of now I have all of the models assembled to make a full 20 boyz Kill Team. Here are some pictures.

OkFrG0a.jpgcBzyDJK.jpgq4np5MY.jpgrBy2NGK.jpggYXl8Xh.jpgabm0vQ9.jpg

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Garr like this

Garslag

Garslag

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 547 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Y7IwsPx.jpg

Harking back to the earlier discussion on brown bases....  Looking at this guy - he's basically already rocking a brown base and it doesn't look bad to my eye.  I'd say give it a go and see how it looks, then give it a repaint if you decide it was no good.  You can always break up the brown with bits and pieces of scrap and rubble.

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Boss Badgrub like this
"Parry the 6!"

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
That's a very good point. I think the green and splashes of red do help to break up the brown a good bit. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,749 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Does anyone else find the ork with pigtails vaguely disturbing? :thumbs

I like the running bodies. Breaks up the monotony of the GW poses.

And the 'fro ork gets a :thumbs although I think you could've gone a lot bigger and gotten away with it. Like Jim Kelly in Enter the Dragon. :yes

• Mik McMok the Mek and Boss Badgrub like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

And the 'fro ork gets a :thumbs although I think you could've gone a lot bigger and gotten away with it. Like Jim Kelly in Enter the Dragon. :yes

I'm saving the truly massive 'fro for my Painboss which I will name "Da Barba" and give him a Barber pole and stuff. Future plans.

Thanks again for that toothbrush tip. I textured a lot of the hair with the old toothbrush I used to clean the resin. It worked masterfully.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Does anyone else find the ork with pigtails vaguely disturbing? :thumbs

Yes, I find the pigtailed Ork disturbing too. I have one just like it, and have many times put the clippers to remove them and make him wearing a fez. But I never have, as pigtails have just too much character.

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Pigtails? Gentlemen, those are Squigtailz. :soap

I'm glad to see you both disturbed by my artistic orktastic vision, though. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

I managed to get the models primed yesterday evening, but didn't have time to get pictures. I'll try and post progress pictures later in the week once I have another chance to work on them. This is a fairly busy week for me, hence trying to take advantage and get everything I could done over the weekend since I don't anticipate having a lot of time this week.

P.S.: Thank for the tip about PVA glue on the afro on my Big shoota, derry. It came through the priming intact.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, derry and Garslag like this

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Well guys,

I've been struggling to find time to work on these guys, but I finally managed to get the Squigwigz finished. Here's a picture of the whole group:cw1wL8q.jpg

So there they are, newb's first models. Some of them might need a touch up here or there, but they are ready for the gaming table. I don't know how long it will be until I get to play them since I'm about to go on a trip for work, but once I get back I'll try to get in their first game and let you guys know how it goes.

I think for my next project, I might try to do another Kill Team, but a non-orky one. I'm thinking of doing a Kill Team based on a Dark Heresy PC that I once played. That will definitely require some conversion as GW doesn't really make the models that I'd need for it.

• Beingmad, Mik McMok the Mek and PointBlank like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,369 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

Well guys,

I've been struggling to find time to work on these guys, but I finally managed to get the Squigwigz finished. Here's a picture of the whole group:

So there they are, newb's first models. Some of them might need a touch up here or there, but they are ready for the gaming table. I don't know how long it will be until I get to play them since I'm about to go on a trip for work, but once I get back I'll try to get in their first game and let you guys know how it goes.

I think for my next project, I might try to do another Kill Team, but a non-orky one. I'm thinking of doing a Kill Team based on a Dark Heresy PC that I once played. That will definitely require some conversion as GW doesn't really make the models that I'd need for it.

I love the one with the two ponytails :-)

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 288 posts
  • Army Name:-

Well guys,

I've been struggling to find time to work on these guys, but I finally managed to get the Squigwigz finished. Here's a picture of the whole group:

Those guys look awesome, and I love how dynamic the group looks! All the bits of hair you added really looks great with the entire group painted. The bases look great with the models. 

Ryan

Ryan

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts

I decided to check out for myself what the real difference is between the army painter shade an wash, i know a few guys had given there thoughts on it but i could find nowhere online that compared the two products, i went with dark tone as its probably the one im going to use for my orks, an i dont have loads of extra heads to practice on, plus i figured what differences there are will be the same whatever the tone

heres the before shot, basic quickly done heads
IMG_0814_zpsgbfut3uw.jpg

heres the after
IMG_0817_zpseesj20tk.jpg

I have to apologise they look a bit darker on cam than in real life, but i might have to go a shade lighter with the flesh if i do intend to use dark tone, skin is currently "goblin green" with a liberal "scorpion green" drybrush, coat d arms paint

anyhow, can anyone guess whats the dip an whats the wash?

Spoiler

I applied both pretty much at the same time an when they were drying i couldn't really tell them apart, it could have been the same product.

now there done you can see one drys gloss an the other matt, i have heard the dip basically acts as a varnish tho an protects the mini quite well so thats not really a negative (unless you really hate gloss) i thought the washes might be easier to apply/an also be a lot thinner than the dip (who wants to loose detail right) but i dint really find it to be true, if i had to give it to one or the other id probably go with the classic dip, it seemed to flow a bit better an didn't darken the head so much overall, might not a problem for the other tones but dark tone doesn't need to be any darker, but that being said its a quick test, it may be a fluke, the wash may still be alot easier to paint over if you make a mistake.

so in conclusion its pretty dam close an i would say it depends on personal preference 

• Beingmad likes this