Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

army display board ideas?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 82 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Anyone built a display board for their Orks? Something to carry them around if I am in a local tourney or playing more than one game, so I don't have to unpack multiple times. I was wondering if anyone had ideas on a good size, assuming a few trukks and a 40 or so boyz, maybe a couple deff dreds. Any pitfalls to avoid? I can handle  woodwork no problem.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,741 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Foam core is your friend. Wood is lovely and durable, but adds a huge amount of weight to slog around with your boyz. MDF board is sturdy enough, even in a 3' square sheet, not to deform while carrying. 3x3 is, of course, too large. Pick a size and shape that is easy for you to carry and maneuver (in potentially confined spaces). Not all tournaments are in big halls and accidentally flattening someone's army with your display board is a tad embarrassing. And if you do shape your board, make it rounded so that you don't hook it on anything while carrying. Even if you go with a rectangular board, rounding the corners is a good precaution against accidental hangups while carrying.

So once you've got your shape foam core is great for ground cover because of the ease of cutting circles for placing your boyz. Don't forget to PVA the holes before painting (if you spray).

To come to a good size I suggest laying out a sheet of paper (newspaper should do). Set up your ladz in a pleasing arrangment that allows you to see them all and give a clear organization to your army. Leave a little space to add interesting terrain bits  between units. Then use a marker and draw around every piece. (You can use this sheet later to makr the holes to cut on your board.)  Once you've got it all marked out you can use a straightedge to draw lines for the edge of the board. Voila --- you now know how big a board you need.

That's all the simple stuff (read as: mistakes made) I can think of right now...

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 82 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

thanks for the reply. Any ideas for interchangeable inserts, since I expect to be experimenting with different lists once I restart my Orks? Or better to do multiple trays? Like everybody else, da Boyz have been hibernating for a couple years due to general 40K suckage. :snore

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,741 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Hadn't thought about that, but it does spark some ideas... you could probably do something modular. Maybe make 6"x3" foam core "cards". A trukk will fit on one nicely and you can probably get close to a dozen boyz on it (10 and a Nob?). Put a couple 6x3s next to each other so you can accomodate something like a battlewagon with a 6x6 footprint? Cards go in board, units go on cards. If you swap out a unit, make a new card(s) to replace the old unit and paint the card up to match the terrain board.

Did any of that make sense? I'm drinking beer before eating dinner and my writing skills are suspect... :cheers

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.