Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Squigwigz--Questions on Bits and using Quickshade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts
  • Army Name:Da Squigwigz

Hey guys,

With the release of Shadow War Armageddon I thought I'd finally take the plunge into the hobby since I can do so relatively inexpensively.

However, my idea for my Ork Kill Team is a little bit...non-traditional. I was thinking of using alternate heads to make my boyz a little unique, namely giving them hair. Now, I know that Orks don't actually grow hair at all, but they do have Hair Squigs and I wanted to run with that idea a bit.

The hobby seems to be about putting your own unique touch on things whether through, painting, conversions, or fun ideas, and since I don't have a lot of painting experience nor money and a stockpile of parts to do conversions, I thought a fun idea, namely a squad of hair-obsessed madboyz, would be a good way to "make my mark" and hopefully give my opponent a good laugh. They might not think "That's a particularly well-painted or converted Kill Team" but they might think, "That guy was a nice guy and I really liked the idea behind his Kill Team."

I need you guys help with a few issues:

1) Suitable Heads

I'm looking for Ork heads with hair on them. I know there are a few "top-knot" heads available as part of the regular line, but I want to see what else is out there. So far I've found these two:

http://bitsofwar.com...-orc-heads.html
http://www.spellcrow...eads-p-109.html

Both of those are Ork Mohawks. I'm looking for other styles of hair as well. Ork Afros, Ork Pompadours, whatever I can find. Is there anything else available? Thanks.

I made a post on DakkaDakka, but haven't gotten any bites so far. I'm hoping there are other types of heads. I figured you guys would know best.

2) Squighound

While Researching Ork Heads with Hair, I came across this old model:

SquigHound.jpg

I managed to find one on Ebay and I'm going to use this model as my Nob. It doesn't lead so much as is trailed by a mob of Madboyz whom all think it's a sign from Gork'n'Mork, but mechanically it'd be the same. I'd just equip it with Melee weapons to represent it's teeth and claws.

I'm worried what will happen if it dies during the course of the Campaign, though. Maybe the boyz seek revenge on whomever did it in? I am thinking of focusing, at least partially, on the Guerrilla Skill tree to represent it inspiring the boyz and to make it tough.

Newer squigs are all portrayed as being a red color, but I was thinking of doing all my Ork hair in red since it stands out so well against the green. I don't know if Red on Red would look good. What color should I paint the squig then?

3) I'd like to Paint my models with the Quickshade method.

I don't have much painting experience and I know with my schedule that I won't have an abundance of free time to devote to painting. I'd like something I can get upto a tabletop standard quickly and play. From taking a look at things on the internet, I can basically paint the boyz a basecoat, shade everything with a brushed on Army Painter quick shade, and once that dries spray on a dull coat. That's basically it.

Should I basecoat with really bright colors so that when the shade goes on I get a brighter result or should I just use the regular base colors? I've read guides on dipping, but does anybody have any other tips from doing it themselves that might be helpful? I'm definitely going to brush it on as opposed to actually dipping them and shaking it off. It seems much more manageable that way.

As for what the color scheme will be, I have narrowed it down to these:

ork.php?helm=B0AEAE&hlmd=FC0303&hlmr=FFF

ork.php?helm=B0AEAE&hlmd=FC0303&hlmr=B0A

I am not sure which one to go with. I'm leaning toward red because that takes care of hard-to-reach areas like the eyes and inside of the mouths. The red one assumes I'd be using Mephiston Red Spray and they Brown one Zandri Dust Spray. I am thinking the straps and shoes are Mournfang Brown. I'd like to do all the Ork Hair in red because I think it would stand out. Which scheme do you guys think would look best? I was thinking of going with the Army Painter Strong Tone for the Red, but would that also work for the Zandri Dust Brown?

Sorry for the wall of text and the four billion questions. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PointBlank

PointBlank

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

For extra head options, you can cut the hair off the standard topknot heads and glue it on backwards for a pompadour style, as seen here. And if you're going for red hair, I'd go for the brown clothes colour scheme so the hair stands out more. It's your main thing after all.

• Boss Badgrub likes this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,741 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

When it comes to hairy orks, greenstuff is your friend. Do not be intimidated by "sculpting". GS is very easy to do hair with and you will be working with tiny amounts (therefore not a lot of skill or patience is required).

There are a few examples of coiffed orks. First comes to mind is Mik McMok did clown orks with fright wigs just a couple weeks ago. Check out last month's Painting Challenge. Also have a look for the Elvis Suns... the cult of speed ork waaagh done by an amazing painter (he's French, those zoggers are well-talented). I should link to his threads, but the exercise in searching da Waaagh will be good for you. As you might guess his ladz have the Elvis Do.

I really like your idea and think you will have great fun putting this theme into action, but I really think you're going to have to add your own hair for the most part. Especially since you want to get a wide variety of hair styles.

As for color, orange actually works better than red on ork mohawks. And it seems to me that if you're doing a wide variety of hairdos you should probably use a wide variety of colors. Purple would go well on a few styles. I've seen rainbow mohawks on orks. And since we're talking about rainbows... anything goes for squigs. Here's a set I did for fun for a goofy little time-killer game someone posted called squighoppers...

Squighoppers.pngSo you can really go anywhere you want with your boss squig. And green is always a good choice.

giant_squig2.jpg

... this guy I did eons ago...

.Squigward.jpg

As for painting boyz, don't worry too much about color scheme. I've got a few hundred boyz now and none of them match. So my color scheme is no scheme at all. It works. The hair thing will unify them. And you pretty much have the idea for simple painting. Block colors -- use a bit brighter than you want them to end up, then wash them down with your shade color of choice. It really doesn't get any easier than that and the result is quite pleasing enough for tabletop play.

Great idea. Welcome to the world of insane ork building and painting. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts

Thanks! That's a wonderful idea about the top-knot reorientation, Point Blank.

With the brown color scheme, is there going to be too much brown? I could obviously pick out details in red to help break it up.

Any idea on what color to do the squig? Would it look okay in the same Zandri color?

Edit: Thanks for the great reply Docsnik! I love your squigs!

I think I'm going to go with mainly the Spellcrow Slayers heads since the "do" seems to match the Squig Hound. I'll definitely throw in some top-knots and pompadours though. Now I just need to get my hands on some extra top-knot heads. Only two came in my box of boys. If any of you guys have extra you don't mind parting with, hit me up.

Greenstuff might be something I'll try at some point, but I'm not kidding when I say I have the artistic talent of a stump. Okay, maybe a stump with thumbs. Hence my wanting to go the easy route for finishing my boyz.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,741 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Oi, I hate those top-knots with a passion. You won't find a single one in my entire waaagh. I probably have a dozen in my cut-offs box alone. I like the screaming head so I trim the top-knot and use it without. And I can spare ya some heads with the top-knot still intact. So shoot me a PM with your address and I'll stick some in an envelope and get 'em out to you right quick.

And again... hair is one of the easiest things to do... whack a blob of GS on da boyz 'ead and poke it wif a sharp fing. Done.

• jackdoud and Boss Badgrub like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts

That's so generous of you! Thank you so much! PM sent.

In other news, here's a quick fluff blurb I concocted:

Da Squigwigz are a mob of Madboyz adept at breeding the most luxurious hair squigs around. To the Squigwigz a bright tuft of squig hair atop your head is every bit as Orky as a good fight. They go into battle with their squig hair stiffened into spiky crests or flowing tails. Other Orks view this behavior with derision, but Da Squigwigz realize that the other boyz are only envious of their Orkiness.

While duffin' up 'umies in the depths of Hive Acheron Da Squigwigz encountered a particularly rabid and vicious Squighound with a very odd feature--it had an unruly mane of squig hair! Da Squigwigz all agreed (something hereto unheard of) that this beast was a sign from Gork'n'Mork. They quickly dubbed it "Da Maula" and have since taken to following it throughout the Underhive. Sure enough, Da Maula continues to lead them to fight after fight and more and more loot. Well, so long as they don't get too close.

Da Maula—An especially ornery Squig Hound interested in only two things--gorging itself on the various “delicacies" it finds with its sensitive nose and savagely mauling anyone or anything that comes too near.

Bootscuffa--If Da Squigwigs can be said to have anything close to a leader, it's Bootscuffa. He's loud, bossy, and quick to give a sharp kick when the other boyz get too out of line. He might be a nob if only he didn't spend so much time making sure his squig hair looks "jus' roight."

Toofpincha--A spanner boy who's very clever and has quite the stockpile of teef which he counts and recounts constantly. "Wun, tew, tree, fo', 'ords." He jealously hoards his teef and refuses to trade with any of the other boyz claiming he's saving for the "most dakka dat ever dakka'd a dakka."

I'm going to add more personalities once I get a chance to play them. Once a Yoof Upgrades to a regular boy he'll get a name based on his exploits.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,300 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

I recently experimented with an easy solution to hair for one of the monthly challenges on my Klown Nobz. I wanted them all to have hair so i glued on the tops of cotton wool buds and then washed/painted them to colour them. They make excellent mohicans etc that way. I opted for an orange wash but red would work just fine too.klowns3_zps3jrxp9ge.jpg?t=1489747000

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 512 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

2017-04-19%2019.52.05.jpg

Here's an ork I built back at the dawn of 3rd edition (back before I heard of trimming flash lines off). Ive always thought his hair looks rather dashing - it's the tail of a whfb bretonnian horse.

Mik Mcmok - the clown hair looks great - how does it hold up against the rigours of transportation and the tabletop?

Badgrub - I like the conceit of this mob very much. Have you considered beards? Also - they're madboyz, what makes you think they would worry about colour coordination? I'm with da Mad grot - motley mismatched rabble all the way!

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,300 posts

Mik Mcmok - the clown hair looks great - how does it hold up against the rigours of transportation and the tabletop?

I like the conceit of this mob very much. Have you considered beards? Also - they're madboyz, what makes you think they would worry about colour coordination? I'm with da Mad grot - motley mismatched rabble all the way!

Thanks . The pic above of the Klown  was a WIP pic before they got their red noses. (I think the finished article is in last month's challlenge) The hair stands up fairly well as the wash gives it both colour and firms it up. Of course only time will tell, but so far so good.

clowns%204_zpsztkzcuhw.jpg

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts
This is all great stuff, guys. Really wonderful stuff!

I'm certainly not opposed to doing a few beards on the mob. Maybe I will pick up some greenstuff and do that.

An aside question--have any of you tried out the "running orc" bodies from Kromlech? Do they scale well with the regular boyz or is there a size difference? I think having a few charging Orks would be cool.
  • Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,300 posts

The Klown wigs would work for beards too.

An aside question--have any of you tried out the "running orc" bodies from Kromlech? Do they scale well with the regular boyz or is there a size difference? I think having a few charging Orks would be cool.  good question  here. I would like to know too.

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 204 posts
  • Army Name:Waargh Kargrak

Quickshade is only really worth it if you're mass painting hundreds of figures, for a relatively small number like a Shadow War gang I wouldn't bother with it. You can get as good an effect using Army Painter washes and then don't need to use a matte layer afterwards.

Pretty similar in application too, get some nice solid base colours, then apply the wash liberally. Optionally re-highlight with the base colour. Done! It's how I painted my Deffwing recently (barring a quick silver drybrush before the wash for the chipping):

SNw6tnT.jpg

• Mik McMok the Mek and Boss Badgrub like this

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 512 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I have not used them myself, but someone who did posted pics not so long ago. Can't remember who it was... They looked about right though. You could dig through recent threads and try to find it if you wanted to.
"Parry the 6!"

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts

Quickshade is only really worth it if you're mass painting hundreds of figures, for a relatively small number like a Shadow War gang I wouldn't bother with it. You can get as good an effect using Army Painter washes and then don't need to use a matte layer afterwards.

Cool, thanks for the advice. How are the Army Painter washes different from the Games Workshop shades? I have Agrax Earthshade that came with the starter paint set? Are they basically the same or are they qualitatively different?

Garr

Garr

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 157 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gar'un Mek-Klaw!
GW washes if nothing else tend to be very good but at the end of the day it's just a chestnut wash, you should be able to find a non-GW equivalent in all paint ranges.

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 204 posts

Cool, thanks for the advice. How are the Army Painter washes different from the Games Workshop shades? I have Agrax Earthshade that came with the starter paint set? Are they basically the same or are they qualitatively different?

I mostly use Strong Tone and Dark Tone quickshade washes, they stack up pretty well against the GW ones. Certainly much better value for money. With the army painter ones I normally find it pays to do a wash and then wipe off the top surfaces to let more of the base colour come through.

Agrax Earthshade is pretty good though, and even the small pots from the starter should last for a Shadow War team.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts

Is the Army Painter quickshade thicker or more viscous than the GW stuff? It certainly seems like it might be. I have a can of the Army Painter Strong Tone, should I buy a small bottle of the wash as well or are they the same stuff? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 204 posts

The stuff in the tins is very thick and viscous stuff that is akin to wood polish.

The stuff in the little bottles is an actual ink similar to the GW washes.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts

Another random question--should I paint the Shoota boyz before assembling them? The Slugga/Choppa boyz look like they'd be fine to assemble first because you can still reach everywhere, but the shoota  seems like it'd make it hard to get to the chest and the inward side of the shoota. How do you guys normally handle it?

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 453 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Another random question--should I paint the Shoota boyz before assembling them? The Slugga/Choppa boyz look like they'd be fine to assemble first because you can still reach everywhere, but the shoota  seems like it'd make it hard to get to the chest and the inward side of the shoota. How do you guys normally handle it?

If you have the old kit with the shootas and arm holding it separate, the leave the gun off (after glueing the arms while it is in place). Without the gun, the model is easy to paint, and you can batch paint the guns.

If you have the newer kit with the shootas attached to the hand (all one piece), you can leave off the entire gun arm to paint (but still test fit the supporting hand so that it works.)