Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gograth's return WIP

- - - - - Super-heavy tank Super-heavy transport

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Gograth

Gograth

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Gograth

hello been a long time since I've been here went on hiatus dint have money was in college still in college but have a bit more money and i got some work done on the super heavys that i was contemplating on so i built some cardboard templates

FullSizeRender-4_zpscdnnktey.jpgFullSizeRender_zpsqwzcwxgj.jpgFullSizeRender-5_zpsibq2tilo.jpg

so i made that its the large one that i was thinking about thats what i am thinking for that one there is more I'm working on building another template for another tank that is a little less games work shop bits more plasticard/plastistruct bits i made the ground level but need more land raiders and another bain blade and a load of turrets and sponsons. ill post more with the other tank when i make progress thanks.

• Zagursnik likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

My advice is to build terrain with more durable materials. The materials cost differential can be very small, even for a project like this. Scrap plasticard/high impact polystyrene, acrylic, 1/8 inch medium density fiberboard/hardboard/masonite are all pretty inexpensive. Even at full cost from a good supplier, a project like yours above can be under US$10 /GBP 8.

My local shop often has cardboard-based or white styrofoam (low density)-based terrain donated. Usually this kind of terrain is destroyed in weeks our months, while the more durable terrain lasts years (and can be repaired.) I have worked with local players to repair store terrain and we don't spend time on any of the low durability terrain (sometimes removing useful bits, often just tossing the whole thing.) Poor materials also make terrain projects harder. We used cheap plaster one time and it keep getting dinged and falling off, total disaster. One Guy who used very expensive corrugated cardboard spent a huge amount of time filling in the holes in the end and was still not so satisfied with his work (even though it was pretty good.)

Since most of the labor and love put into a terrain project is the detailing and painting, I feel much better when I use good base materials. 

You have a very interesting design going though and I look forward to seeing more progress on your projects.   :thumbs

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts

thanks yea this is really mainly a template made of cardboard to get a rough estimate on how much plasticard i will need to make the super-heavy transport. I will also need to buy more games work shop kits like another 2 or 3 land raiders, and more Bainblades to really get the tank base. I want the land raider mechanisms to work properly there will be two doors in the front to have the boys charge out the front, just need a lot more of the bits from boxes, i just don't have the money for yet. I have been working on another super heavy its also made from cardboard but this one is moving quicker again its just a mock-up all the cardboard ones are just to get a feeling instead of cutting and waisting plasticard. i can remove parts and not be counting my pocket pain though in the end i probably will make the 2 cardboard mock-ups a board for shadow war armageddon. They are big enough to play on. here is the other cardboard mock-up i made its going to use 2 large wheels that go around the it this will be the superheavy for my big mek of my horde, the super-heavy transport is going to be for my warboss in mega armor once 8th comes out and we know how vehicles rules work and they get finished i want to create some rules for them to use in an apocalypse battle. thanks for your advice it is always appreciated!

FullSizeRender-6_zpsfqdgwptr.jpg
FullSizeRender-7_zpsshnesndi.jpg

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 153 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
I am really curious to see how this develops. Never thought about building a tank from cardboxes...

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts

i got some work done on the platform for my super-heavy transport platform heres a photo of it before

imagejpg1_zps6c6eb74e.jpg

and here is after i laminated the sprew in sheets of plasticard making it much stronger

IMG_1871_zpss1eqd2z2.jpg

ill also be working on the rolling tank in a bit tired of breathing fumes lol. though this project will be on back burner now because i need a lot of GW parts, tracks, cannons, and just general bits from expensive boxes.

• Karfang Toofstealer likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 595 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

Breathing fumes is good for your health, you know.  Probably.

"Parry the 6!"

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts

so the wheels of the roller come from a lego kit. i think the kits name is hailfire droid, its from the star wars line i really only wanted the wheels.  

FullSizeRender%20copy%202_zpsmmdmdidj.jp

and here is what i have.

FullSizeRender-2%20copy_zps4xgtqviz.jpg

FullSizeRender-3_zpszw77sczv.jpg

its just tacked together with a small bit of hot glue nothing permanent so i can replace parts easy. if i change my mind i may also try and do some magnates to see if i can make some different options for it. though thats down the line the main body isn't even permanent just have the sides and the top and bottom. the front parts are scrap to just hold it together. i don't entirely know what i want to do with the front yet i know i want a big draw bridge like dropping platform, but i don't know what i want to be behind it know it has to have some kind of door way out of the body of it.

• Snarknit Grokguzz likes this

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts

So with the last bit i did i ran out of plastic, so i got some and already used most of it up.

IMG_1881_zpspifsgkwu.jpgIMG_1884_zpssjejqd0s.jpgIMG_1885_zpsmw8l0ym0.jpgIMG_1883_zpscmlfwln6.jpg

So the work on it is coming along. Need more pylons and plastic... sorry. I like how its coming I'm going to add another room on top of it where the mek can stand and take in the glory. Any advice or ideas for it are much appreciated thank you.

• Orkimedez, KillFalcon, Snarknit Grokguzz and 1 other like this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 595 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

It's starting to look a little like something now.  Looking forward to it getting some more meat on its bones so we can start to really visualise where it's going.

• Gograth likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 322 posts

oh I like where that wheeled contraption is going! Are the wheels a little thin for the size of the body you're creating?

• Gograth likes this

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
Thanks! Hmm I see what your saying the wheels are only about 1 inch wide. I'm going to look in to geting another set of wheels I'm going to be buying more plastic I have big plans already for what I'm doing next. I will look in to it because I deffinatly see what you mean Snarknit. I was also thinking about maybe even geting a landraider to attach to the back like it's pushing it or something the rear end looks a bit light like it would tip forward. Thanks for the advice I will look in to it.

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts

so a double post today found a pack of plastic stuck in a bag, treasure yay. so i made another level to it.

IMG_1886_zpsqp65kdbu.jpg

IMG_1887_zpsruhls8cx.jpg

ill be buying more plastic tomorrow.

• skarnir and Garr like this

Gograth

Gograth

• Grotz
  • 24 posts

so i got some work done yesterday on the Mek Roller, made a hinge and everything works with no sticking.

IMG_1863_zpsot25ubet.jpg

IMG_1888_zpszbusekib.jpg

IMG_1890_zpszpm7f2bs.jpg

And thats what i have a good Iron Gob. And as i look at it reminds me of the face of Gork or Mork. So i have to come up with a suitable name for it other then the Mek Roller.

the other eye i think will be a window, if not ill make it another cannon like the one thats there

• Big Mekboy Chumba and Garr like this