Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

da Mad Grot builds a trukk

* * * * * 1 votes #trukk #flakkadakka

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Pretty boring title, eh? Everybody builds trukks all the time. Yeah, well, it's been eons since I built anything mek. This trukk kit was a Christmas gift from... oh hell, like eight or ten years ago. :blush So I figured I'd go ahead and finally do the project I had planned way back then. Here's what I've managed in the last fortnight.

The trukk is assembled to the point that it's ready for paint. Gunner, driver, and such left separate for ease of painting. The rest of the "accessories" are still WIP.

trukk_01.jpg

The plan is simple: one trukk, three beds. The first one will be the out-of-the-box trukk bed. The second will be a near-as-I-can-mek-it copy, but full of boyz. That's right, ten trukk boyz, glued in place, doing the usual... shootin', preparin' to drop the boarding plank, punchin each uvva inda face, you know, da usual. And then, since you're already dealing with a magnetized bed, why not make a flakka dakka gun as a nice, noisy, shooty option.

The flak gun is inspired by the WWII German Wirbelwind and American Quad .50 cal. It's nowhere near complete, but I've got the basics down. The turret will go onto the round platform (and be able to rotate). The guns still need some sort of hub attachment to the turret. They should be able to elevate if I get it right. The platform will need to be mounted onto a magnetized bed to match the others (which I haven't started yet).

So you can see why I'm not much of a mad mek... only this accomplished in two weeks. I sweat little details that aren't even visible and simple things (like cutting p-card straight) give me fits. And all the while I think what a :bleep this is going to be to paint. Gork and Mork, I love this hobby! :biggrin

• DocNuK, derry, chaoshead87 and 7 others like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

Sounds awesome MGD . I love the three trukks in one concept and the Flakka Dakka Gun. Look forward to seeing how it all works out.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,549 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

:thumbs Nice start to the flak guns. Some promising bitz in the shot there to that'll beef em up. What would be really funny, if they fit into the flow of it, but a couple of simple sluggaz slapped on to really kick it over the cliff. :lol I'd say the hard part of the extra bed is over, getting that basic shape to match must have been tricky. Some plates & rivets & you're home free.

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Moe Dakka

Moe Dakka

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 86 posts

Pretty boring title, eh? Everybody builds trukks all the time. Yeah, well, it's been eons since I built anything mek. This trukk kit was a Christmas gift from... oh hell, like eight or ten years ago.

Might want to check if it still passes federal emission standards.

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Garslag like this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

I like the idea of the trukk boyz, such potential to put in a little diorama and add character. And show how they all fit of course.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts

...What would be really funny, if they fit into the flow of it, but a couple of simple sluggaz slapped on to really kick it over the cliff. :lol

:lol We think alike, Z! That was part of the plan from the start. I was actually thinking of bundling groups of 3 shootaz into some sort of gatling gun arrangement, but then I found the beakie dread exhausts made a decent base for a mini-gun looking thing. Which is going to need a big hopper to feed it. But I'm sure a slugga will get chucked in there at some point along with some other odd things I have in my bitz box (found a metal bit that looks like half a dozen oversized bottle rockets on a launcher!).

I like the idea of the trukk boyz, such potential to put in a little diorama and add character. And show how they all fit of course.

That's me all over, PB. Any excuse to build a diorama. :biggrin

Actually it turns out that the trickiest bit of building the copy bed is getting the underside right. All those little bits that make it so you can't glue the bed in the wrong place have to be duplicated so that the bed can be held in place with one magnet. (Technically they could be swapped out for two magnets, but whatever!) And getting 'em in the right spots is where measure twice, glue once comes into play. Can you tell I made at least one gluing error so far? :blush

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 458 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Great ideas. Might you be able to have the Flakka Dakka fit on a magnet in the normal trukk bed (and save making a new one.) Might you also be able to magnetize the boys and have them stick to nails or pins in the same deck? One thing I noticed with my modular trukk builds was roll bars can get in place of gun emplacements or similar things.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts

Sticking the flak turret into the standard bed runs into the issue you mention of roll bars getting in the way and such. The round base for the turret will essentially be the bed. I am in the process of gluing bits on the underside so that it locks in place like the regular bed. Placed properly the center of rotation for the turret is directly above the tow tongue underneath the bed. Which :bleep presents me with a problem to solve... I was going to put the trukk magnet in the conveniently place tow tongue, it's almost a perfect fit for my magnet. But the magnet for the turret bed will conflict with the spinny bit for the turret. I'm noodling that out now (probably simply re-site the magnet).

The purpose of having one bed full of boyz and one empty is to facilitate unloading in game (ostensibly).  Magnetizing the boyz into the bed defeats the purpose. Piling a load of boyz with their bases into a trukk doesn't look terribly appealing. So you deploy your trukk boyz loaded (i.e. with the "full" bed) and when you get to the spot where your ladz are going to pile out and rumble, you pull that bed off, slap on the empty bed and deploy your well-painted and based ladz out to charge the enemy... or according to the current Ork Tactika -- to get mowed down before getting any hits in.

You're optimizing for building. Which is cool, cuz you can build a gazillion great-looking trukks in like fifteen minutes. Me, I'm just looking for a good excuse to build a diorama. :lol

Sproston Green

Sproston Green

VeryMetal Plunderer

• Nobz
  • 6,141 posts
  • Army Name:Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer and Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot-in-est Free Booterz dat eva Free Booted!

Must be an old trukk if it only holds 10 boys. ;)

Nice to see you working on something, MGD.  :thumbs

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this
Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer 'n Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot'n'est Free Booterz dat eva Free Boot'd!!!
WYSIWYG, AYASNY!!!
"Is viable worth it?"

Garslag

Garslag

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 525 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
It strikes me that da Mad Grot does not do anything the easy way, does he?...I guess that's what makes him mad.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing how the flakka dakka gun turns out. I've been thinking about these a bit lately. Stuffed if I can find the damn rules for them, but since I never pay anymore i dint suppose it matters much.
"Parry the 6!"

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts

It strikes me that da Mad Grot does not do anything the easy way, does he?...I guess that's what makes him mad.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing how the flakka dakka gun turns out. I've been thinking about these a bit lately. Stuffed if I can find the damn rules for them, but since I never pay anymore i dint suppose it matters much.

Da Flakka Gunz rules are in the free to download Forgeworld Update for The Ork Dread Mob Army List, which can be googled easily and won't get you a slap on da wrist for downloading by the thought police. It's not a bad gun with 4 shots (not twin linked  sadly) Interceptor skyfire, ect but not as potent as a rokkit launcha.

• Garslag likes this

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 128 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
Looks promising

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts

Must be an old trukk if it only holds 10 boys. ;)

Which also tells you how long it's been since I've played... in fact I think you were present the last time I played my orks. :lol

Yeah, that seems to be my problem. I knew I had four autocannons, but could only find three and a barrel cutoff. So I went to all the trouble to fake one (notice the one with the two white rings in the picture?) and then found the fourth while rummaging for trukk bitz. :bang  Also made a roll bar out of sprue cuz I didn't have any plastic tube of appropriate diameter.

It's not a bad gun with 4 shots (not twin linked  sadly) Interceptor skyfire, ect but not as potent as a rokkit launcha.

Nice to know. Don't have the rules and this won't likely ever see a table, but I've always wanted one. My first tank model, as a youngster, was a Wirbelwind by Tamiya. :love Call it nostalgia.

So I did a lot of invisible work today. All three beds are ready to take magnets (now I just gotta find the :bleep magnets). More visible is the work I did on the flakka dakka bed. Some spikes, a step-down ladder, tread plates. And I did a bit more work on the copy bed. The flak gunner has a head now and he came out of the turret to have a few laughs with one of the trukk boyz (found as-is in a bitz box). Next major task is duplicating the extra armor before populating the copy bed with trukk boyz. And figuring out the gun mount before finishing the flak gunz. I also reckon I have to fill the space between the flak gun turret and the trukk cab. That will likely get filled with ammo boxes and random supplies.

trukk_02.jpg

• KillFalcon and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,532 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Lookin' like a fun build Mad Grot, a nice display piece and a useful bit of gaming kit - that's the way to do it :thumbs

Personally, I'd go with your home brewed 4th gun on the flakka mounting - having 4 identical anythings doesn't seem orky enough somehow :lol

• Mad Grot Docsnik, Garslag and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts

Quick question for gaming purposes. Looking at the rules I found, the Flakka Gunz are mounted on a Big Trakk, not a trukk. Are there different rules elsewhere (no surprise there) that allow it to be trukk mounted. 

The Bg Trakk makes sense as your opponent is going to want to take this gun out asap to prevent it having an impact when he gets to bring his aerial support in to play, and the Trakk has better survivability

Garslag

Garslag

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 525 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

More a case of it's never gonna see table time, so equip it with whatever looks good, I think. 

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Mik McMok the Mek like this
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 458 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)
Flakka-Dakka Trukk is still a thing
  • Mad Grot Docsnik and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts

Okay, so, proceeding at my usual glacial pace, here's an apparently insignificant update.

trukk_03.jpg

original bed/copy bed pic. Copy is ready to start taking boyz... the real work.

trukk_04.jpgHere's where the hard stuff happened and I won't even mention the number of just plain dumb mistakes I made here. There were (and still are) some fit issues with this bed. The gunz have to be able to rotate 360 without hitting the cab. So I've worked out the setup you see above. Ultimately, when glued in place, the bar between the gun breaches will ensure they elevate together and also hold them on (since the two joints of the sentinel legs that mount them to the turret need to remain unglued). I still need to finish the turret ring. Nothing is glued yet and until I have all the spatial relations sorted out I can't finish the gunz... which I have been sorting and collecting bitz for. So I'm ready to roll on that RSN. I also grabbed a new can of black primer because a whole lot of this build is ready to move into the paint phase.

Cheers ladz. :cheers

• chaoshead87, myth and jackdoud like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts

it's starting to look pretty damned awesome

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,549 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Its lookin ded killy :thumbs

Okay, so, proceeding at my usual glacial pace, here's an apparently insignificant update.

I can't finish the gunz... which I have been sorting and collecting bitz for.

This is good to know because given that they are trukk mounted you can go much bigger :dakka :dakka :dakka

I know he's got his little flip down targeter on his helmet but you could mount something on the front wall of his turret such as on a Bofors gun

fig001.jpg

Maybe not as intricate, but ya can't have enough gun sites when your aim is worse than a Stormtroopers.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel