Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pointblank's Ragtag Raiders

- - - - - poorhammer freebooter gorkamorka

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Long ago I fell in love with Gorkamorka and orks. Models were hard to come by back then due to both price and distance but I had a fully stock basement garage and a house full of bitz once I learned what to look for. Old kits were bashed into ork vehicles and even the old 2nd edition starter orks were converted and pushed into the mobs. About a year ago I wanted to start a proper ork army that could thematically include these old models.

GD6DmOH.png

We're going to have a ragtag freeboota gang that takes in orks of all sizes that don't have anywhere else to belong. All in the name of acquiring loot to make more killy things.

maExyDT.png

Meet what I call the Stunties (cos they're short and they don't make 'em like that anymore har). They might not be ideal but I'm making a few more just so the existing ones don't stand out. I'll go into more detail on how I made them later.

wGcR2F7.png

Here are da Yoofs. Gorkamorka orks with modern ork weapons. Unlike some ork waaaghs where boyz of the same age naturally form into mobs, we're going to mix our yoofs in with the other mobs.

w6AaaKl.png

Current status of fully painted and based models: 5 shoota boyz, 3 big shootas, 18 choppa boyz, 1 rokkit trakk and 2 rokkit buggies, 1 mek, 1 counts-as-trukk and future big trakk

I think the key to making these different models mesh as an army is a consistent paint scheme, everyone on scenic bases, and a few conversions details spread across models. I also want to add a more freeboota touches because who doesn't like pirates?

Needs painting: undercoated shoota and choppa boyz, 2 nobz, Nazgrub Wurrzag, 3 deffcopters, 2 scratch built trukks, painboy and grot orderly

fdFqRDh.png

Under construction: Tankbustas

Future plans: AoBR warboss conversion, more rokkit buggies and trakks, nobz, lootas, bikers, battlewagon, meks, painboyz, mekboy junka

A1RmaOR.png

Prototype loota. A bit non traditional but does it work?

• Mad Grot Docsnik, chaoshead87, Zagursnik and 3 others like this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Oi, orks waaaghs with a mixed-in, somewhat random look are best IMHO. You can make an argument for almost any sort of appearance (which is one of the great attractions of orks in 40k modelling), so I say go for it. Color scheme can be unifying by inconsistency too. I have opted to pretty well randomize my colors, but my painting style pulls the whole thing together. I.e. it's pretty clear when I put a unit on the table that I didn't paint, but it gets explained away by the name of my Waaagh... the Thousand Tribes Waaagh. ;)  I agree that basing is key. The eye jumps immediately to that one guy who is running around on deck plating while the rest of the boyz are stomping through swampland. :lol

But I digress. I like what you've got so far. The kitbash trukks look proppa. Yer prototype loota works fine, but I think the gun needs a square bit at the back and maybe a feed to an ammo source. Hard to tell from the single angle view but it looks like it's all barrel right now.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Looks like the makings of a good start :thumbs  for painting orks I pretty much agree with everything Mad Grot said - unless you're doing BloodAxes and even they don't want to be too uniform. 

Loota's are off to a good start - it's obviously not a slugga, Mork knows how it works (or even if it does) but it's big an' loud an' kicks like a zogga so dat'll do :cheers

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Thank you! And yes, it is all barrel. Going by the freeboota theme, I wanted something like the age of sail cannons held by ogre leadbelchers. This one with the weapons sticking in particular. Only with guns. The idea is that the ork just shoves looted weapons into the barrel, heat the thing up so the entire magazine goes at once, and the heavy tube keeps the bullets and the occasional flying gun going in the vague direction of the enemy. Once I get around to making a whole squad I can have more random loot sticking out the business end and model one loota reloading by shoving a boltgun into the breech.

I could make them belt fed instead. Or possibly the back end of looted guns welded onto the outside to feed into the main barrel. The hardest thing I've found and the thing that's been putting me off is getting the arms and pose to work. Once I've got that I can load on the gubbinz.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Great collection. I especially like the trukks. A little more detailing on them could make them very nice. For Lootas, I try to have the weapons resting on the shoulder, that way they don't look like the assault weapons Orks use (like rokkits, big shootas, etc.)

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
A waaagh after me own heart. I myself go out of my way to mix models from different ranges and vintages into my mobs. If there's one thing orks should NOT be, it's standardised.

You've made really good use of those dire old goff plastics. Please do spend a few moments on how you achieved that, because i have roughly ten million of those who might like to get the same treatment.

(I'm surprised they didn't resurrect those old goffs for the new Armageddon game actually)

Also: LOVE those trukks!
"Parry the 6!"

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 165 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
I shall join the waving over the trucks. Really really nice. From what did you kitbashed it?

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Garslag: Very quick guide here, I should make a proper one once I've practiced and came up with some more ideas

KbLlTGJ.png

1. Start with your basic 2nd ed. Goff ork. This one's already got half an arm missing. Don't worry, we won't need arms where we're going ;)

2. Remove arms. Simple. Carefully remove the head too. This takes a bit more care. If you're not going to re-use it, easiest way is to give the ork a lobotomy and then carve out the rest.

3. Attach spare arms and head from a modern boyz kit. Shootas work best because they cover the less detailed body and these runts probably aren't as suited to getting in the thick of it. Making a greenstuff neck will let you position the new head in more interesting ways

4. You could fill in those gaps between the arms with greenstuff OR you could just cover it with a slab of metal called a pauldron. Simple rectangle of plastic (styrene sheet or any other off cuts you might have). Distress the edges and carve out some chips. Bend into shape and cover your sins.

Related, I've converted an old gretchin into a grot orderly for da dok:   ufHCnuH.png

On the trukks: The base is a cheap toy (set of 3 for £6). It's mostly just the cab there showing but they came with bitz that might be useful in making a grabba or wrecking ball. I need to improve my rivet technique. First method was using blobs of pva glue which aren't obvious enough, second technique is using greenstuff which look too much like blobs. I've got some round sprues from some non-GW kits that might be good but that's going to be too fiddly to do outside where I try to do most of my gluing.

• chaoshead87 and Garslag like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Great stuff. I definitely don't need more boys, but more modern looks from old 2nd edition minis is what I am doing now with metal boys. With the plastic goffs, you can use plastic glue and skip the pinning I am doing. Never thought of that. Would be something to do with broken and missing parts the 2nd ed. plastic Goff boys, very nice.

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

The proportions are certainly... different. Like comparing a fantasy dwarf to a human with the gorilla-like build of orks exagerated further. I made the first of these conversions almost a decade ago so I'm used to them. The 'runt' look suits the squating pose of the plastic goffs which is good because that's a hard thing to change.

I think I'm done with assembling the tankbustas. Went through some learning, trying to make a two handed pose from slugga boyz was a pain, ended up using shoulder mounted rokkits instead. Final version of the rokkit is: a chainsword with the teef cut off, a blast shield made from plasticard or similar, pen tip as the rokkit itself, cocktail stick for the back end, paper and more plasticard to reinforce the cocktail stick. Nob has an Iron halo made from a wheel rim. Also testing a technique to make flags, easily removable if it doesn't work.

JJQG9zv.png

• Mad Grot Docsnik and chaoshead87 like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Like the pen tips for rokkits. They are very appropriately sized.

I ordered some light bright plugs and they are too big. Lego 1x1 cones, with or without caps, were on the big side too.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Well, that's a new take on rokkits. Looks like pen tips work pretty well. The spear arms from WHFB orks work well for making rokkit launchers if you have any of those laying around. I used a couple for my tankbustaz. Of course, mine were built way back before tankhammaz were a thing. :P

I like 'em. Jobs a gud'n. :thumbs

**EDIT** forgot to mention, for rokkits a bit of plastic tube and a wad of milliput for the tip is also a cheap and easy solution.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
When i look at this and realise how many rokkits I've thrown away over the years... it's very distressing. They look good. I think once you base coat them they will look great.
"Parry the 6!"

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

It turns out pen tips don't take superglue very well, meaning I'll need drill holes in the blast plates and add a support pin, or try the miliput technique. Added more rivets to the trukks but i used the wrong kind of water replant spray paint. Should have done a test bit. Then the second coat of paint got caught in the rain.

I have a third oldtrukk bed in the bitz box but no front cab to go with it so I cobbled together something for that. Lego wheels, greenstuff rivets, and coffee stirrer chassis. Working on the warboss too sporting da mek's new invention I like to call 'the Gubbinskull'. Obligatory pirate hat for the freebooter warboss. Altered the pose so the powerclaw is face more forward and currently preparing the neck so the boss can look at what he's pointing too. The gubbinskull is also looking that way. There's probably a squig or a squig brain shoved in that looted beakie helmet. Got a panzee helmet to turn into another gubbinskull too. Just got to find a use for it.

dZoa9Xw.png

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Warboss (Warkaptain? Big Kaptain?) is nearing completion, just sculpted a flag with a stitched pattern which will need some touching up at the top once it's cured. Also have more old models with new arms, this time rogue trader era plasic orks. Not as characterful as the metals and the detail on the bodies isn't anything I'm going to feel guilty about covering up with explosives. The'yre going to be kommandos. They look well sneaky and reminds me I should sculpt some mohawk hairsquigs on my regular boys.

o4SEPzz.jpg

YMR0zDQ.jpg

• Zagursnik, KillFalcon, Snarknit Grokguzz and 3 others like this

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,572 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I really like that warboss :love especially the beakie head on his shoulder.  Nice cross between a git finda & a servo skull. :thumbs

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Restoring the bikes I had turned out to be a wash. The three modern bikes I got in an ebay bundle are so badly put together with glue wrecking lots of detail. And the old bikes and bike bitz I had lying around are probably even worse. An old favourite conversion of mine turned out to have wrong sided hands, a back obscured with thick paint, and the front wheel didn't even connect to the main bike proper it was just glued in front. I'm still decided whether to paint them anyway until I get better bikes or to try break them down and rebuild from the ground up.

On the upside, after that I wanted to just make some easy boyz conversions so I have another 12 boy squad to shove into a trukk or join the footslogging horde, the hair orks (Da Barberarians? Mo' hOrks?) :

Q2TVDqY.jpg

Plasticard choppas are fun to make. I've pretty much decided that almost all my orks are having the sword/machette type choppas. Da Red Choppas. That sounds like an army name.

Also fixing up an old kitbashed gorkamorka vehicle of mine: Mostly just need to do some finishing touches to the cab to hide the old seats which aren't to ork scale. And decide what place it has in the 40k army. Could replace the scorcha with a rokkit launcher and call it a trukk but it looks sufficiently experimental to make it a mekboy junka! Except I have no idea how I'd want to use one of those.

E3InUjx.jpg

• Mad Grot Docsnik, Mik McMok the Mek, Karfang Toofstealer and 1 other like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Restoring the bikes I had turned out to be a wash. The three modern bikes I got in an ebay bundle are so badly put together with glue wrecking lots of detail. And the old bikes and bike bitz I had lying around are probably even worse. 

I am a big fan of Ork bikes, both in play and modeling potential. If the glue is super glue, you can try soaking them in Pinesol, Simple Green, or my favorite: Purple Power. Each one of these and other things will break down the glue bonds and not damage the plastic. I soaked 60 or more old bikes to get bad paint, bad priming, extra glue, and many other sins mostly removed from the bikes so I could start the rebuilds. Bike parts are still available from bits sellers, so you can really enhance the look of the bikes, even if they seem to be broken crap right now. I encourage you to go for it, they will be great.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, Badfang Brassaxe and Oddztoof like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

To encourage you, here is a terrible old pic of some of my bikes after the soaking, cleaning, and stripping stage, from this post.

IMG_2751markup.png

As you can see, a huge pile of bikes on the right still needing more work than a NIB bike to get ready for painting. But I am cheap, like the challenge, and love the results.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

That is some good inspiration, Derry. I also have a ton of old bikes and truks that need this treatment on their way to becoming new and functional members of my Waaagh. There is significant work involved (which is why mine are still sitting in boxes, waiting) but it can be done. Fortunately, as orks, we are not as affected by GW's size creep in models over the years. Cuz yoofs is smaller den boyz... and would use correspondingly smaller equipment. And everything is kustom.

So get your soak started, PointBlank, it'll take at least a day to loosen up the worst offenses to the models.

I like the bladed choppa motif, and have always been a proponent of orks with mohawks. :thumbs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poorhammer, freebooter, gorkamorka