Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advice wanted for Gargant build.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts
  • Army Name:'Eavy Metal Thundar

I've wanted into the Gargant Owners club for a while, and like a proper Deff Skull player, I know where to start:

The Warlord Titan. Number 542, to be precise.

This presents a number of issues, both practical and fluff. I'm hoping that by answering the fluff questions I'll get some nice ideas for build details: any model this large is by necessity a diorama, so I'mma need those details. I'll think on the practical problems more as I get to them: I figure I should take some time planning before I start cutting too many holes in the resin: googling suggests I may be the first person to try looting a warlord, so I don't want to screw it up!

Fluff problems:

• Gork and Mork cannonically are Stompa-shaped (after all, that's why stompas are that shape): feet mostly hidden under huge bulky bodies with their heads on the top instead of in front, and at least one of their arms is a gun, or whatever else you want to takeaway from how GW's gargants have looked over the years. I don't like this much: I've always felt the Imperial titans look more like Orks!

My solution here is simple: I'm going to stick a weirdboy tower (Weird-Kannon?1) on it, kept stocked with all the weirdboyz who show up to insist da meks have built this one wrong.

• The Imperials will kill the absolute shit out of any Ork warboss who loots a Titan. If they can't drop half a Legio on it, this is exactly what the officio assassinorium is for.

Solution: fine by me! Guaranteed fights are the best sort.

• Warlord Titans are literally too big. They break the square-power law so hard the Forgeworld fluff straight up says they use gravity-neutralising tech to operate. Part of the reason Ork Gargants are flower-pot shaped is realism: giant things shaped like that better support their own weight

Solution: mekboy gubbinz, maybe some stabilising jet thrusters.

• Power. Titans use supremely powerful plasma reactors. Ork superheavies just don't: they're all furnace-driven powerplants. There's a reason the Megagargant caught fire so much!

This one needs thought: Orks can and do build microreactors (mekboy guns clearly aren't running on diesel). I'm tempted to use distributed generation: putting obvious powerplants on each gun and the legs separately, maybe. Also if I can be arsed with rules for it, I'd probably give it more HP but add in a "fire" mechanic that costs it more HP unless you spend Grot Riggers on firefighting, and cut back on that absurd 36" D-strength Titanic Explosion the Warlord has.

• Guns. Without the Warlord's original plasma reactor, most of the Warlord's colossal energy weapons don't make sense. They also don't have enough barrels.

I'm thinking: Titan-scale power claw (based around the Arioch), Weird-Kannon (arm, based on the Volcano cannon but heavily built up), A Very Very Big Missile (carapace, probably built from a fightabomba), supa-meka-gattler(carapace, made from one or both laser destroyers).

• The Titan's Mind, and the Princeps. Slight problem: titans are kinda alive and slightly sapient. Rather than try to teach a machine to walk, the Dark Age of Technology put bear-minds in 30m tall robots and re-taught the bear to walk, then they taught it to hate. Which works remarkably well!

The question here is: wire an ork directly into the princeps chair, replace the Sensorium with a Squid, have the thing piloted by a pair of warbosses moving in syncronicity, Pacific-Rim style, or put Mek in a megadred in the piloting seat, Gurren Lagaan style? Or do something else?

1I thought up the wierdboy-fueled kannon before I heard about the Psi-titan with it's psyker-fueled Psi-cannon, honest.

• Karfang Toofstealer likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Gotta (BloodAxe) WaaaghHound staggering towards completion http://www.the-waaag...=53138&p=712920, it's only a klawstompa but it's 12" high by 12" across the shoulders by 14" from its' nose to the glowyrox reakta at the back, how big's your titan?

For the drive control I was thinking a couple of meks pulling and pushing leg drive levers and operating the klaw arms with their other hands - a bit like I did for Smoggy

post-9593-1322751044_thumb.jpg

The other possibility is to treat it as a gigadredd :?

The mega-gattler on Smoggy (co-axed with the deff kannon) was made up of bits of ally tube stuck to a plastic gear cog with a bit of buggy radiator, the ammo drum of the GW stompa and the roundish skull glyph plate stuck over the front plus whatever else was lying around 'til it looked busy enough

post-9593-1323025440_thumb.jpg

Good luck with yer build (I always need it :lol )

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts

Gotta (BloodAxe) WaaaghHound staggering towards completion http://www.the-waaag...=53138&p=712920, it's only a klawstompa but it's 12" high by 12" across the shoulders by 14" from its' nose to the glowyrox reakta at the back, how big's your titan?

For the drive control I was thinking a couple of meks pulling and pushing leg drive levers and operating the klaw arms with their other hands - a bit like I did for Smoggy

post-9593-1322751044_thumb.jpg

The other possibility is to treat it as a gigadredd :?

The mega-gattler on Smoggy (co-axed with the deff kannon) was made up of bits of ally tube stuck to a plastic gear cog with a bit of buggy radiator, the ammo drum of the GW stompa and the roundish skull glyph plate stuck over the front plus whatever else was lying around 'til it looked busy enough

post-9593-1323025440_thumb.jpg

Good luck with yer build (I always need it :lol )

Good lord man, is there a FW Warhound under that thing, or is it entirely custom-cast? That's a hell of a job. Interesting texture, too.

Also, "Waaagh-lord Titan" is perfect.

Dimension wise, I've not really started the build yet but the default Warlord is about 2' tall (I think I want to make it shorter, so it's stance is a bit more "orky" next to the Proper Imperial titans), roughly 14" across the shoulders, 11" tail to head (not counting the guns).

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts

I thought I'd post some size references for the main torso interior, since I couldn't find much when I went looking myself. Yes, it's currently held together with a dust mask: I've not even cleaned the mould release gunk off yet, so I'm not gluing it.

There's a lot of volume in there.

02N4tFO.jpg

I don't think the lower section is usable, mostly because of the depth and how you need to have something bracing the two top side panels (the shoulders attach to those). The top section could get quite a bit of detail in, if you can work out how to open the top:

aHtizyv.jpg

Here's the full torso:

iqEu4Ra.jpg

And finally, the head with an ork in it:

haVp4j2.jpg

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 632 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I think your idea of separate power plants on each leg would look fantastic! But, you needn't feel obligated to do that - you don't think kill kroozers and brute ramships run on diesel do you? I played a game of rogue trader where I ran a dread with a crystal power generator - that was a thing. And then there's the "little sun" drive from the dire Evil Sun Rising.

I also kinda like the idea of whatever sentience the machine has being held in check and gradually driven in sane as the orks have their way with it. ..
  • KillFalcon likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

Yeah, there does seem to be a fair amount of space in the torso but that head's bloomin' tiny :sowhat

Good lord man, is there a FW Warhound under that thing, or is it entirely custom-cast? That's a hell of a job. Interesting texture, too.

Also, "Waaagh-lord Titan" is perfect.

Dimension wise, I've not really started the build yet but the default Warlord is about 2' tall (I think I want to make it shorter, so it's stance is a bit more "orky" next to the Proper Imperial titans), roughly 14" across the shoulders, 11" tail to head (not counting the guns).

A while ago I came across some paperhammer plans for a warhound so I just printed off a couple of the leg sheets and plated them in Milliput, the rest of it is bent tinplate and more Milliput - most of the build is further back in the link I posted earlier. 

Waaagh-lord sounds good :thumbs

Looks as though the easiest way to shorten it would be to take some out of the upper legs :?

I also kinda like the idea of whatever sentience the machine has being held in check and gradually driven in sane as the orks have their way with it. ..

Or given a squig brain transplant (the head's probably big enough for that  ;))

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

separate power plants is a great idea!  

In terms of sentience...I think you've already got a good solution: if you're intending on using a bunch of weirdboyz in this model/diorama, then why keep the original princeps, and have a bunch of weirdboyz and mekboyz working in conjunction, as if suggesting that they've found a way to channel Gork and Mork directly into the princep's mind?  They looted not only the vehicle and meky bitz, but the squishy brainy bitz too!

• Garslag likes this

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts

Looks like distributed power is a popular idea! I've gotten a fair few engine blocks from Foxbox that need a home, but I'll need a few larger burners/ arc reactor-things. I can probably cobble something together from mekguns and the like.

Looks as though the easiest way to shorten it would be to take some out of the upper legs :?

Or given a squig brain transplant (the head's probably big enough for that  ;))

I *think* I can get away with posing the legs to be bow-legged, like yer average Boy. That should drop it a few inches, without needing to perform any drastic surgery. I'm probably not using the reactor ridges from the default build, mostly because they'll make it really hard to hinge the roof! Probablu gonna have smokestacks on the shoulders, fed by ductwork running on the outside of the body.

separate power plants is a great idea!  

In terms of sentience...I think you've already got a good solution: if you're intending on using a bunch of weirdboyz in this model/diorama, then why keep the original princeps, and have a bunch of weirdboyz and mekboyz working in conjunction, as if suggesting that they've found a way to channel Gork and Mork directly into the princep's mind?  They looted not only the vehicle and meky bitz, but the squishy brainy bitz too!

The Princeps is a human pilot who plugs into the Titan. I think the Titan's mind is contained in a "Sensorium". Big metal sphere with wires and stuff, at a guess: that'd be a nice centrepiece of the interior, potentially. I suppose I could have a Princeps all wired up into a squig brain.... hmm.

Or have squig-brain transplants for all the servitor types. The Adeptus Mechanicus is prone to going more-machine-than-man... just take out what man remains, insert squig, job done.

Squig brain, giant or otherwise: I did see someone do that with a looted knight and it worked quite well... I should track that down, see if the mek responsible gives clues on how it's done. :)

(actually anyone wanting to link inspirational works, please do.)

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts
  • Power. Titans use supremely powerful plasma reactors. Ork superheavies just don't: they're all furnace-driven powerplants. 

Untrue. Several recent Ork stories have talked about Mekboys making a "tiny sun" to power their larger creations. Looting or building their own fusion reactors are both viable options for Orks. Just because they can't tell you HOW they work doesn't mean they don't know how to MAKE them work. 

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts

Untrue. Several recent Ork stories have talked about Mekboys making a "tiny sun" to power their larger creations. Looting or building their own fusion reactors are both viable options for Orks. Just because they can't tell you HOW they work doesn't mean they don't know how to MAKE them work. 

Yeah, people said already (also I saw that one Spiderman film where Doc Ock built a sun). To be honest, I'm not likely to go with furnaces everywhere, happy to mix and match gasoline with microfission and squigs in hamster wheels for different places: probably not the tiny sun because I'm not a good enough painter to do that source-lighting stuff!

• jackdoud likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

Went with a sort of reversed steam locomotive type flywheel and con-rod drive for the legs on mine and a 'power plant' from a three-phase on/off switch from an old lathe - the solenoid representing the reaction containment vessel ( no OSL required :thumbs )

Edit - now I come to think of it, it might be worth seeing if I can fit some grots shovelling glowyroks into it :?

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts
I finally sat down to get some dryfitting done, having Solved the Titan Mind issue.

LV9Z0DL.jpg

Kharadron Frigate kindly donated me a 'Sensorium Dome', plus some random battlewagon bits for support and scale.
  • Lexington likes this