Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Boys/Nobs/Flash Gits/Yoofs

- - - - - Askari Legion Boyz Nobs Flash Gits Yoofs

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

So, it's all yours for the low, low price of get-it-out-of-my-house. Let me know what you want and don't want. I can trim down the sprues to save space as well or leave them as is. And if you can think of anything else you need... any ol' bitz, lemme know. I might have them.

Thanks much. PM sent

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Spoiler Summary: Bad Hombre heads and close ups of metal 2nd edition ork boys, with new boys arms

Spoiler

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,549 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Having done this same conversion I can appreciate how much it sucks. Taking off too much or too little can really make or break how it looks and ruin it. The proportions are very much out of whack. They don't seem to have the gorilla arm look so you're right in the zone :thumbs

I :love the bad hombres. An orky Pancho Villa has always seemed like a great fit. Looking forward to seeing the rest of yours.

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Spoiler Summary: Stike Korps current progress, Nobs in Flash Gitz mode, shootas with painted fezzes, choppas with unpainted fezzes (at the time of the picture, they are painted now.) About a third of the choppa boys are metal second edition boys with new arms.)

Brown wash is needed on the yellow on most of the models. I need to make more shootas for when the nobs are normal and have big choppas or klaws. I need to spray mat all these models too, especially since the skin is English-style shiny.

Spoiler

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 559 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Somewhat to my chagrin, I'm really starting to come around to those new arms on old boyz. To the point that I may wind up using the idea myself before I'm very much older.

Savage orc with fez looks great. Love that dopey grin. What a shame we don't see ork she with dopey grins any more - at least kromlech is servicing that market.

Is there an ork in the first picture whose arm is not connected to his body?
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Somewhat to my chagrin, I'm really starting to come around to those new arms on old boyz. To the point that I may wind up using the idea myself before I'm very much older.

You will be happy with the new arms. The old boys look totally bad ass. Note: Pinning is only required if you are insane. Normal superglue works fine.

Savage orc with fez looks great. Love that dopey grin. What a shame we don't see ork she with dopey grins any more - at least kromlech is servicing that market.

Is there an ork in the first picture whose arm is not connected to his body?

Yeah, not only a sculpt with character, he is big. I am trying to have a couple big boys per unit.

I think a nob in the front row only has an arm with a fist.

Garslag

Garslag

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 559 posts
Is the guy in the front left,his right arm. Might just be a trick of the camera.
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Is the guy in the front left,his right arm. Might just be a trick of the camera.

Just an optical illusion. He has a nob arm with slugga

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Organizing the nob sections, and testing out the flash gits arms.

Spoiler Summary: Pictures of a few nob units for various korps

Spoiler

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Spoiler Summary: Bad Moons Hombres Korps Nobs in their latest state, and 40 more nob shoota arms in progress.

Spoiler

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 288 posts
  • Army Name:-

Spoiler Summary: Bad Moons Hombres Korps Nobs in their latest state, and 40 more nob shoota arms in progress.

Spoiler

Back in 2010 I bought two large NIB ork lots for about $80 combined, it was all ork stuff from from the previous codex - had around 120 orks on that type of sprue (separate arms and shootas), and some other goodies. 

A small sample here - I'm very lucky to have so many.
5mylnFW.jpg?3

All of your work is inspiring.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Beingmad, glad to inspire. Some of the earlier greats on the board inspired me before, and many of the current generation make inspiring builds now.

You have some nice items. I see some bikes, metal body 'ardboys, early trukk, etc. Each of these can be upgraded with new parts or replacement parts or scraps/bits you have to give them a look matching the modern Orks or just generally being more awesome.

With new wheels replacing the small wheels on the old trukk, and bits for the sides, you can have an old trukk looking very much like a new trukk. Replacing the old trukk crew with a new boy or grots or a armored cab can help change the look too. Coat hanger roll bars and other enhancements also help. The Gorkamorka trukk is something many meks on this board have modified. Those old trukks make for an easy project to start with and almost always look awesome in the end. A quick search across the web or here on the waaagh (click on link), yields endless ideas.

Bikes: On the front row from the left is a nob on a 2007 (modern) bike, but the next four are bikes like yours. I shortened the ammo feed ramps for the guns and put both guns on the same side. I ordered bits from eBay for the wheel guards, bits for the cowling (in front of the handlebars), and I used the legs of the old bikes and the upper bodies from new Orks.

DSCF7104.png

• Mad Grot Docsnik, chaoshead87, KillFalcon and 1 other like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 288 posts
  • Army Name:-

Beingmad, glad to inspire. Some of the earlier greats on the board inspired me before, and many of the current generation make inspiring builds now.

You have some nice items. I see some bikes, metal body 'ardboys, early trukk, etc. Each of these can be upgraded with new parts or replacement parts or scraps/bits you have to give them a look matching the modern Orks or just generally being more awesome.

With new wheels replacing the small wheels on the old trukk, and bits for the sides, you can have an old trukk looking very much like a new trukk. Replacing the old trukk crew with a new boy or grots or a armored cab can help change the look too. Coat hanger roll bars and other enhancements also help. The Gorkamorka trukk is something many meks on this board have modified. Those old trukks make for an easy project to start with and almost always look awesome in the end. A quick search across the web or here on the waaagh (click on link), yields endless ideas.

Bikes: On the front row from the left is a nob on a 2007 (modern) bike, but the next four are bikes like yours. I shortened the ammo feed ramps for the guns and put both guns on the same side. I ordered bits from eBay for the wheel guards, bits for the cowling (in front of the handlebars), and I used the legs of the old bikes and the upper bodies from new Orks.

DSCF7104.png

Thanks for the kind words. I apologize for hijacking your thread haha. It has been quite some time that I've posted anything of value on here, although I would like to change that. 
Listed below is the entirety of that lot I described:

1.  6 trukk-boys kits (each with 8 boyz, old style with mid 2000's box)
  2. 1 trukk (old style)
  3. 2 trakks
  4. 1 buggy
  5. 4 old bikes
  6. 8 ard boyz
  7. 12 stikk bommerz
  8. 32 boyz
  9. 2 metal Ghazghkulls

Combined with some other goodies, that yields 8 (old) trukks, 3 trakks, 2 buggies, and 9 (old) bikes that need to be updated. The first 13 will become updated buggies and trakks of sorts most likely. Between that purchase 7 years ago and now, I've picked up an old style Chimera, an old style Demolisher (both of those for the OOP tread parts), 15 metal shoota/rokkit boyz, 5 plastic nobz, 5 metal nobs, a few metal schorchas, two metal meganobz, a couple of those pirate-style ammo runtz, the old metal land raider crusader bits, some treads from Blood and Skulls Industry, and a load of metal rokkits, glyphs, tw shootas, and other weapons. I've also picked up a few fantasy items I always wanted, which is very exciting for me (the GD2000 limited edition black orc, and the ~2000 orc standard bearer). I forced myself to stop trying to scratchbuild, and I managed to paint ~100 boyz over the past summer and fall, and I'm looking forward to finding more time for the hobby in the upcoming months.

That is a great group of bikes, I believe you have a thread out there somewhere detailing them. Those skulls on the handlebars (which I believe is from the fantasy orc box) looks surprisingly great. 

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Check my signature (bottom of my posts) for links to my build threads.

Beingmad, you have a lot of great models in your list. Definitely build the bikes (with boys upper torsos) and the Ghazghkull-based mega armor warbosses (MAWB.) A MAWB with lukky stikk is awesomesauce. The buggies singly and in pairs are great objective grabbers and harassers. One thing you did not list are grots. A couple boxes of grots (10 + runtherd) make great objective grabbers in game and allow you to run lists like CAD + Detachment, for 4 HQ, 4 troops. HQs could be both your MAWB and two painboys made from your plastic nobs (with paperclip in a slugga to look like an 'urty syringe.) The troops could be two units of 20-30 boys, and two units of grots. You could rapidly get to 750-1000 points and get some games in. For list building, a great place to discuss lists is our own DA GOFF FORTRESS, where nutters like me and others discuss list building. Also check with locals. Even though everyone is playing panzee, fish'ead, or Imperial, ask and a few closeted Ork players will come out and share ideas.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

IMG_0029.png

These are dedicated Blood Axe 'ard boys, all choppa (and slugga). These will join the Askari Legion HQ, as I don't have another spot (nor tray) to fit them in right now.

• Garr and PointBlank like this

Garslag

Garslag

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 559 posts
They look very evil sunny to me. Do you have any plans to turn the red into camo (perhaps after the fashion of the paint job the eavy metal team gave the blood axe kommandoz back in the 90s?)
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

The pearlized (metallic) red probably works best for Evil Suns and was what I was thinking. I need to figure out what to do with them overall.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,580 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Could try a Martian cammo pattern?

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
A member of my gaming group is considering Ryza camo. Others are giving advice. Ryza camo is mix of red, orange, and yellow as envisioned by this guy. When I saw it, I thought: Ork camo! Maybe I will try it on these.
  • Garslag likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

IMG_0044.png

High rez version for the curious

Used Procreate for the fez this time because I wanted to try it out and I am nervous it will dry out (my batch is old.) I made too much, but it seems to work well. With my old concept of the Legion, I wanted to have the more tactical guys in grey fez, but I changed my mind. Grey does look good though.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, KillFalcon and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Askari Legion, Boyz, Nobs, Flash Gits, Yoofs