Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Gretchin Revolutionary Comittee

- - - - - rebel grotz

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

After a little break I'm coming back to the hobby, starting small - with rebel grotz. I had a box of un-assembled gretchin and I thought that they might be good to begin with, finding tools, testing paints, honing skills, getting back to form. Well, it did not take long for the modelling to get out of hand.

Da boss grot:

RZks8Ta.jpg

6jnGs3W.jpg

9iSIjcT.jpg

The body is a mega-armoured ork's fist, and there is an iron gob, but I forgot to put it on for the photo - now it's glued on a stick to be painted.

Squig rida:

aUHy9mI.jpg

1FiN2wC.jpg

Da big shootaz:

4nOPytT.jpg

Da mean green gobbo by Maxmini (? or some other small maker, the box is long gone) and the 'eadsman grot:

QI4XKvf.jpg

• Dim_Reapa, Zagursnik, Garslag and 2 others like this
Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

My First Grot Tank, wif rokkits!

WiObZ7k.jpg

iydy8tK.jpg

Some gs werk still to do, like the commander is just head onna stick, but mostly ready to prime.  The turret moves, but the metal rokkits are so heavy that the turret leans forward, will have to fix that.

The painting is not going as well as I hoped, but there will be progress "soon", I promise!

• Dim_Reapa, PeaceCraft, swampy and 3 others like this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 311 posts

Oh, this is going to be FUN!  Onward, to pint-sized victory and modelling glory!

Lucio

Lucio

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Dr Orkenstein's Revenge!

Those are all really cool! Worth looking at picking up some Kromlech Soviet grots to intersperse between the units as well but very cool work so far :)

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Thanks, Snarknit, we aims to please!

Now some painted, unconverted grots, mostly just testing paints. I will be painting the rebels all mostly differently, the red rebel stars and other red bitz as an unifying theme. About half of my paints have survived my time out, I need to get especially some blues and browns next time I go to the store.

As for the painting, let me misquote SYL: "I suck". Well, compared to what I could do like five years ago. Luckily for you I also have a new camera and the pics are bad, too. I really had to fiddle around with paint.NET to get some life to the pics, so now they look better than in real life.

These were the first two. The skin is too dark, more like ork skin, and I had forgotten how I painted rust - I had to check my own tutorial here to remind me.

DxkdjEv.jpg

Next two, the skin looks better now. It turned out that two of the paints I needed for rust had dried out, so I had to use what I had. Not as good as before, but good enough for now.

DyjUnPc.jpg

The final twosome (for now), they look actually pretty good, the yellow especially.

Nuxr4Kr.jpg

A bigger pic:

towjkX6.jpg

Yes, I forgot to tidy up the rims of the bases.

• Dim_Reapa, Mad Grot Docsnik, PeaceCraft and 1 other like this

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Those are all really cool! Worth looking at picking up some Kromlech Soviet grots to intersperse between the units as well but very cool work so far :)

Yeah, I have been looking at those, I have this command group I painted years ago and I will expand it later. The thread is somewhere here, but heres a pic:

B2fEqLy.jpg

They are actually still  on their painting stands just like in the picture.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, Zsoulless and Lucio like this

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,722 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Good to have another member of the Revulushun, especially one of your calibre. Now, continue making me feel inadequate.

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Bivrok!!

I love grot armies and this promises to be a great one.  So much character....

Step 1: Collect orks
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Waaaaaaaaagh!

Mekaniac

Mekaniac

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
  • Army Name:Wurrdakka
Really excited to see where this goes. Amazing mega armor grot. And I'm loving the big shoota fellas. This is going to be beautiful.

Tankworks

Tankworks

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 145 posts

Way kool! :thumbs

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Found some bike bitz, spikey beakie and ork.

NRA1r5X.jpg

foaCwrb.jpg

ZEcfCEi.jpg

Still needs some werk, fenders maybe, and better exhaust pipes, but I like it so far.

I also found this:

nqmeNrK.jpg

I made that some years ago, it's been waiting primed and slightly painted for inspirashion.

• swampy, Garslag and Mr.Tumnus like this

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Megagrot is painted.

7ccObgR.jpg

QVV4ocU.jpg

eupVSD7.jpg

rzcEv9v.jpg

Turned out pretty good, IMO, dark and moody.

• Dim_Reapa likes this

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

I also painted this banna wawa, seems there's no WIPs, but it's a pretty straightforward conversion - an old metal Fantasy standard bearer with a scrachbuilt rebel star and a revolver from plastic grotz.

GSvWBl7.jpg

xgsMDUj.jpg

q42J02k.jpg

Sneaky snipers in the werks:

o0AX8Sz.jpg

Sniper bitz are from beakie scouts, good size for grotz.

• Dim_Reapa, Mad Grot Docsnik, swampy and 1 other like this

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

I's faster than a laser bullet!

"Wha!? - oh, it's just one of them ninja grotz.."

IfXafm2.jpg

emQy6sE.jpg

tGuLyd6.jpg

dxT3aVQ.jpg

There's more, but I gots to go now.

• Dim_Reapa, Mad Grot Docsnik and Garslag like this

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Da wife called me to pick her up, but anyway to continue: The Mean green gobbo by Maxmini.

Cptjaxy.jpg

P80dN31.jpg

JnBC0cK.jpg

The casting of the mini is very good, hardly any mold lines, just some flash. Still I did not really like painting it, because while the detailing is crisp and sharp, it's really too sharp for my style of painting. It's hard to slowly build colour blends over these really steep ridges. This makes it perfect for basecoat & wash-style of painting, tho'.

Allmost forgot, another thing I just noticed about the casting, seems like the traces of the original 3D masterprinting are left  in the cast, here's a close-up of the gun, you'll see what I mean:

oV5TK4u.jpg

These grooves make edging hard and in general help to make the finished mini appear untidy, annoying, really.

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Louder than an atom bomb.

We is da shootiest - that is, we have shootaz:

fid1Q3N.jpg

eTiHHur.jpg

KMoAX6K.jpg

WMSgLoS.jpg

uoB1PP1.jpg

Now the pictures are looking the way they should be, and the painting's not too shabby either.

I noticed something weird about the second guy, it seems he's been in a horrible disfiguring accident:

U1XltdW.jpg

On his right side his mouth is below his right arm but on his left it's level with the arm. Also he has an 'uge hair stuck to his cheek, but that I might be able to surgically remove.

• Mad Grot Docsnik and PointBlank like this

Garslag

Garslag

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 559 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Your skin tones are just fantastic. Those stands for the shootas are a really great touch, too. A lesser modeller would have likely skipped that and just had a grot with a gun that's twice his size, but this looks a million times better.
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 311 posts

Your skin tones are just fantastic. Those stands for the shootas are a really great touch, too. A lesser modeller would have likely skipped that and just had a grot with a gun that's twice his size, but this looks a million times better.

Ditto to the skins, here.  Just fantastic. 

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 424 posts

Da squig rida painted:

B9uXDYR.jpg

i7Cc93t.jpg

LOjKs1g.jpg

ut2ozWp.jpg

zlzAXmo.jpg

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 559 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Stirrups and a bridle! It's the little nods to realism like this that set your work a cut above imo. And the aforementioned skin tones, of course.
"Parry the 6!"