Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaa-Garslag's Evil Sunz

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 455 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Will the fenders be mud guards or useful as running boards? If just fenders, you could have a short and angled one for the back, just to keep the kommander from getting sprayed with mud when doing circles (on an 'umie Regimental lawn?)

If running boards, they could wrap around the back and provide support to extend past the side wall. The yellow line the kind of length I was thinking, intersecting with a similarly wide horizontal plate at the back.

runningboards.jpg

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I had imagined them as the former. I think now that it might be worth me finding a spare piece of plasticard and seeing if I can make the running board idea work.

I may have to break off the land raider power plant at the back, but the payoff could be worth it if it breaks up the "lump of balsa with wheels" look. Thanks!
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts

Derry, you are the man (ork).  I'm pretty chuffed with the way the running board fender idea is working out.  I still need to glue some rivets and what-not on, but here's how it's looking at this point. 

2017-03-19%2009.10.08.jpg

2017-03-19%2009.09.35.jpg

Yes, you are correct to observe that I would have been much more intelligent if I'd done the rivetting before the base coat.

Also:

2017-03-19%2009.07.40.jpg

• Mad Grot Docsnik, Zagursnik and Badfang Brassaxe like this
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,514 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Proppa Orky build - start simple then keep adding werky bits 'til it can do what it's supposed to :thumbs

2017-03-19%2009.09.35.jpg

Luvvin the freehand Sunz glyph on the back, and what's the mesh off :biggrin

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 455 posts

Mud guard / running boards looking great. The grill is a great addition, making it into a continuous back section. Now you just need some mud flaps, something like paper printout glued to lead foil (from wine bottle). I grabbed the image below from here. I like the kill marks, maybe you could add kill shapes of various kills on the hull side. I like Gobsmasha builds and wish the range 24", S10 AP2 large blast for the smasha gun was still available.

custom-mudflaps.jpg

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts

2017-03-19%2016.20.23.jpg

I'm pretty nonplussed about the mudguards.  I like the idea a lot more than the actual execution... partly because my running boards are not wide enough to permit the mudguards to actually be truly functional.  But what do you guys think?  If I keep them I was thinking I'd paint them white or off-white with a flame motif down the bottom, then hit them with 500 coats of Ogryn flesh, or whatever the hell we call brown wash these days.  First I need to decide whether I keep them though.

If I keep them, I might also make them a little more three-dimensional by cutting out some thin plasticard shapes and sticking over the top.  Nothing exciting, probably just a border or something.  But most truck mudflaps that I've seen usually have some kind of design built into the rubber.  They could also be distressed quite a lot more, which might improve them.  If they stay, I'll have a look at the trucks at work and see what sort of damage they usually take.  I can't say I've honestly paid too much attention to that up until now.

That runt is gonna have a hammer, BTW.

Badfang - I honestly have no idea what that mesh is from.  I found it in the living room.  The missus didn't know what it belonged to, so I assume my children have dismantled something in there while no one was looking.  Really glad the Sun glyph is working for you.  I wasn't sure if I was gonna get away with it tbh.  I'll play around with it and some more red paint later.  Kinda wish I'd outlined it in black, but going over it in black is a surefire way for me to cock it right up.

"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 455 posts
If the flaps don't look right, feel free to pull them off. If you skip the mud flap idea and have them be fenders, you could angle them. Either way, this build is coming together.

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts
That was a decision I was rather hoping you guys might help me out with...
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,514 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

If you're just after busying it up a bit then you could maybe put some step shaped fenders going up behind the front wheels up to the entry hatches :?

PointBlank

PointBlank

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 46 posts

The mudguards on the human truck are made of flexible plastic that I don't think orks would use. If it's not looking right to you, that's probably why. Rather, how about a flat heavy slab of metal attached to a hinge or dangling from chains? Like an old fashioned sign that's designed to swing in the wind. Only metal and orkish.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 455 posts

Another option is to skip the mud flap idea and make the back piece angled to be more of a fender. You could also use fat staples up the front as a ladder to get up on the vehicle.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,742 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

I still like the mud flap idea because it is vaguely ridiculous. I mean, who worries about mud on a tank. But you could easily morph them into fenders. But the way I see to fix the mud flaps is to make them wide enough and have them suspended from chains or strip hangers connected to a thin bar at the top which is wide enough to cover the wheel. It will give them a more dangly mud flap look and make them look functional. Just my two bits.

• derry and Zagursnik like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,544 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Yeah, these are the kind of thing you just gotta make it work. Stuff like that is what really separates kitbashes & scratch builds apart from out of the box stuff.

Heres sort of a visual of what Mad Grot might have in mind minus the chains

jk-mudflap-side-view.jpg

And whether you paint it on or do some sort of glyph work, ya gotta add Yosemite Sam.

Sam-Mudflaps-2.jpg

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,742 posts

Yeah, that's exactly it. Thanks for the visual, Z.

• Zagursnik likes this

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts
2017-04-17%2009.11.45.jpg

Threw a bit of paint at these two. Early days yet but it's better than mournfang brown. Did a bit of freehand on the gauntlet that you can't see but that I'm pretty happy with.

Also this will be a squiggoth.

2017-04-17%2009.10.22.jpg
"Parry the 6!"

Gograth

Gograth

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Gograth

so those wagons are made of balsa wood how is it to work with i was thinking of using balsa wood as the bace of my tank to make it stable is it easy to work with and get in large sizes?

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts

Building something like those Gobsmashas, incredibly easy, because it's a solid lump of wood - simply a matter of cutting it into shape.  Much easier than some builds I've attempted where I've had to build up a frame to build over.

You'll need to cover the balsa up with something of course, because no matter how many undercoats you give it you'll never obscure the grain.  I used cardboard, because I was following Hakbash's tutorial and that's what he used.  That worked really well coz both the balsa and the cardboard accept PVA glue really well.  If you do use cardboard, you'll need to seal it before painting with a water-PVA mix.

I got my balsa from Bunnings, a big hardware chain down here in Oz, and they have it in pretty decent sizes.  I don't think it'd be too hard to come by wherever you might be located.  Um, also.  I hope I don't come off sounding rude, but your posts are kinda hard to read without any punctuation.  :blush

"Parry the 6!"

Gograth

Gograth

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Gograth
Sorry dewly noted. I'll try and use more punctuation I need to be told that some times thank you. I'll have to try and make a tank with balsa wood, and figure out the limitations.
  • Garslag likes this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,742 posts

Always curious to see what folks do with triceratops-squiggoth conversions. It's always a bold undertaking. Aside from the obvious difficulty trying to obscure/change the neck frill, I find that most triceratops models have really dopey faces. Not exactly the fear-inspiring angry look for a squiggoth.

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 513 posts
I can by no means assure you that this one will not end up dopey, and in any case dopey can work for orks. My goal is to make it look like a squiggoth, not a dinosaur. Someone posted stone triceratops squiggoths a while back, and they looked good, they just didn't look like squiggoths. So this is my experiment to see if I can do better. As I see it, the wok thing will come down to rebuilding the eyes and jawline (steel gob).
"Parry the 6!"