Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Restarting my Orks

- - - - - Goffs Footsloggers Madboyz Nobz

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

Ages ago I started on an Ork army, but I never got very far with it. With the current death of Fantasy, however, I've got back into 40K and I've decided to pick the Orks up again...and hopefully this log will motivate me to get them finished this time!

It's early days yet, but here are some old photos of those Orks that I did finish. You'll notice these are Bad Moons; for the new project I've decided to switch to Goffs, primarily (but not solely) as I found yellow a real pain to paint:

6dmWIoU.jpg

8kOH0ZO.jpg

• warhead01 and greggles like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Dethkopta Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,739 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Welcome to the Waaagh! Are you keeping them as they are or going to put black checks over the yellow and have them as Bad Goffs  :?

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

Are you keeping them as they are or going to put black checks over the yellow and have them as Bad Goffs  :?

Bad Goffs? I like that idea! I will be painting checks over the yellow and I had planned on classic black-and-white, but you've given me something to think about.

Rather than retreading old ground, however, I wanted to start some new models as the existing ones are at least table-ready (even if they are the "wrong" colours). I'm going to start with some Kommandos as I like the idea of sneaky Orks. I don't particularly like the current Finecast ones, so I'm going to convert mine out of the Boyz box with the addition of some extra parts.

To begin, here is the Nob who will be leading him. This angle doesn't show it very well, but he has an ex-'umies backpack on to carry all his stuff in:

BfdaGpG.jpg

• warhead01, Space Truckin and r_squared like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Dethkopta Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,739 posts

The spare ammo on his shoulderboard is a really nice use of bits - just not sure about a kommando with a back banner.......

unless you're gonna hang kammo netting off it?

KNW

KNW

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
  • Army Name:The Industral Strength WAAAAGH

Does that Nob have a cigar?  Might make sneakin' a litte tough, but he sure has the expression for it.

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

The spare ammo on his shoulderboard is a really nice use of bits - just not sure about a kommando with a back banner.......

unless you're gonna hang kammo netting off it?

I can see what you mean, but I really wanted to give him a Boss Pole should I ever get round to gaming with him.  I'll just have rationalise it as being retractable or something ;)

Does that Nob have a cigar?  Might make sneakin' a litte tough, but he sure has the expression for it.

He does -- it came from the new Flash Gitz box. He loves it when a plan come together :D

I really like the wooly hats on the old Second Edition Blood Axe Kommandos, but as the figures are just too small to use these days I'm going to have a go at sculpting my own. I found a great guide at  http://piratevikingp...-kommandos.html so here's my first go:

RHoJlII.jpg

It looks a little bit like a wooly fez so I'll have to bear this in mind when I try with the actual figures themselves.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Dethkopta Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,739 posts

LOL, those metal kommandos were too small in those days

Hat looks promising, the sides should slope and curve inwards more and the top bit should be smaller, and maybe not quite so high but you're on the right track  :thumbs

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

Hat looks promising, the sides should slope and curve inwards more and the top bit should be smaller, and maybe not quite so high but you're on the right track  :thumbs

Thank you very much for the feedback -- I agree that the top is too tall at the moment, so it's something I'll work on when I actually summon up the courage to try sculpting on the Kommandos!

As I've been putting off doing that, I've instead been painting up a mob of Boyz. And as I've found painting 20 models in a batch a bit tedious, I decided to try repainting one of my Bad Moon Nobz in Goff colours to see if I could get a good finish on the black armour (and also try freehanding some checks). Here's what the chosen Nob looked like before:

JyVpGvg.jpg

And here he is now:

iWaZXYp.jpg

I'm actually very pleased with how the checks came out...it wasn't as tricky as I feared it might be. This Nob leads another mob of Boyz and dates from a time when you could give individual Nobz in Boyz mobs 'eavy armour by themselves.

Oh well, I'll have to finish off those Boyz now I guess....

• chaoshead87, greggles and Big Bad Squig like this

Dazbag Skorcha

Dazbag Skorcha

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
  • Army Name:Da Burning Moonz

yellow can be a hard colour depending what your going for, but I really like both the goffs and bad moons you painted 

I'Z GOT DA BEST SHOOTAS AND ARMOUR DER IZ   :dakka

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

yellow can be a hard colour depending what your going for, but I really like both the goffs and bad moons you painted 

Thank you very much! I tend to paint over a black base-coat, so I find getting a good yellow colour too time consuming due to needing multiple coats. I thought black would be quicker as I could just leave the base-coat showing, but it turns out that's too much of a short-cut and you just end up with something that looks unfinished unless you add some highlights, chips and checks.....

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

So that unit of Boyz I mentioned...I figured it was time to knuckle under and get them finished. But first some background....

One of the first White Dwarfs I bought (WD126) contained the rules for Ork Madboyz. I still have a copy (sadly not the one I originally bought) and occasionally flip through the pages and pages of random behaviour charts and wonder if there's any chance of using them in a modern game of 40K. I guess you could say that I have a nostalgic fondness for Madboyz.

When I started redoing my Orks and I came across a converted unit of Madboyz being sold by Lamenter, the very talented sculpter/converter behind http://masteroftheforge.com, I had to snap them up. The Madboss and 4 of the Boyz were already fully painted, so I decided to finish the remainder in the same scheme...here's the resulting mob:

lkgKIXA.jpg

I have some particular favourites (the Ork covering his face, the one with the glove puppet, the one throwing another Ork, the one kicking the Grot) but they're all great. The Madboss in the top hat is a mixture of menance and ridiculousness that to me is what Orks are all about :)

• Badfang Brassaxe, greggles, Goff Boss and 3 others like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Dethkopta Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,739 posts

An Ork unit that actually justifies random rolls  :thumbs Proppa 2nd ed paint too  :love

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 237 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Love the blast from the past! :thumbs What a mob full of fun.

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

Thanks all -- I didn't set out to do a 2nd Ed colour-scheme, but it seems that as my formative 40K years were spent in that period I have been subconsciously affected to approach my colour schemes in that way :) !

Those nutters needed somebody to keep them in line, so I've finished the first Goff for the new army....the Warboss:

XzReg3P.jpg

I wasn't sure if the bronze spikes on his boss-pole would be too bright and un-Goff-like, but looking at him now he's finished I think they provide a nice contrast to the rest of the model without being too gaudy.

• greggles, Goff Boss, Space Truckin and 3 others like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 237 posts

Looks good to me! :thumbs

Dazbag Skorcha

Dazbag Skorcha

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts

awesome stuff, bud! I can't wait to see more! 

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

Thanks very much, chaps!

I thought that my Warboss might need some support to help keep the unruly Madboys in line, so I've built him a retinue of 5 Nobs with Eavy Armour, Shootas, Klaws and Boss Poles. One of them is also carrying the Waaagh Banner:

9Yz2NGb.jpg

Not sure if the next step will be to paint them or to do some more assembly. Might be moving house soon so it would be good to get some of my loose sprues built as the actual models will take up less space....

• warhead01, Giganotosaurus and Big Bad Squig like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 237 posts

Nicely done! :thumbs I like the positioning of the arms, and the little extras you have added to each one. :yes Can't wait to see them in paint!

Dazbag Skorcha

Dazbag Skorcha

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts

They look really, I think build some unassembled models

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts

Thanks again -- afraid I haven't managed to get any paint on them yet as I've been a bit distracted by other things. While I had my Nobz out, though, I thought I'd do something with the Bad Moon Nobz I posted at the beginning of the thread. As Ork shooting is really not that effective, I decided to use some left-over bits to augment their close-combat abilities:

vhxg1tg.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the chance to start start painting again soon.....

• Big Bad Squig likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Goffs, Footsloggers, Madboyz, Nobz