Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next 3 codices And then some. (No orks)

- - - - - Dark Eldar Everyonebutus

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,014 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

That video was beyond amazing.

Shame they cut out the bit showing the clock for "Competently Written Ruleset" hanging itself in despair...

Squats should be relegated to what they are - Imperial auxiliaries - not an army in their own right. They never should have been set up to be one, just as Ratlings and Ogryns never were.

Too much of a wimp for squat dreadnoughts on trikes are we? ;)

• Blakkreaper and Giganotosaurus like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Lobotomy

• Boyz
  • 753 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
The squats lay waiting in the shadows ready to take their place as the true rulers of the galaxy! Death to the tall emperor! Long love Emperor Gimli! (Imagine the current images of the Emperor but with an axe and shorter.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,117 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

It'll save on plastic (and it'll fit in a smaller box saving on packaging too) :thumbs

Garslag

Garslag

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 792 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Factor in a few editions of scale creep and they'll be beakee size anyhow.
  • Orkimedez, Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this
"Parry the 6!"

Nefairius

Nefairius

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Blood Axez
  • 539 posts
  • Army Name:Mekboss Morgrim's Waaagh!

Been so busy I forgot about my own thread!

The problem with rumors is they're just that: rumors. I haven't seen reference to orks in June myself, but I don't see why it couldn't be the case. What I do think I remember now is seeing speed freeks in December, which I could easily conflate with a wider ork release. There is also the possibility we get nothing this year, for whatever reason. I sure hope we get a new Ghazi model at least. But if they're trying to put out new plastic that doesn't compete with old ebay models, well maybe we can get Nazdreg, or some new character even. We sure as hell need some.

Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 995 posts

They've said at events that everything existing will have a codex this year.

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 401 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

"They've said at events that everything existing will have a codex this year." I hope what you heard comes true jackdoud. We all know what walks, and what talks.  ;)

Killthulhu

Killthulhu

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes
As far as squats not deserving to be an army in their own right, I would sell every model I currently own to start a squat army. Speak for yourself :P Dwarves have always been my favorite fantasy race, and I was bummed as hell when I found out squats were once a thing but went to the wayside and wound up relegated to lore. Elves, Orcs, Humans, Goblins, Dark Elves, and unread all have a 40k contemporary. Why not the squats? SPEEEHZZZZ DOOOOORFS!

Back on subject, I highly doubt we will not see a codex this year. GW is releasing them at the rapid rate. New models, Speed Freeks, updated old kits? That I will hold my breath on.

"Um, boss? If we'z green, an' da trees iz green, wot we applyin' dis 'ere green camo for?"

"Lissen ya git, ya jus' answered yer own question. Why do ya fink da 'oomies paint everyfing green out 'ere?"

"Because... da 'oomies iz pink?"

"Right! So if we don' make ourselfs green, den we can't be sneeky!"

"But boss... we iz green."

"I know we'z green! We just put on camo! See, dis 'ere iz why I do all the plannin. Now shut yer gob and lets get ta killin."

"Right... you'z da boss..."

-Conversation between two Ork Kommandos intercepted at Listening Post Alpha Four Alpha, Sector Seven, Equitorial Jungle of Armageddon

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Lobotomy

• Boyz
  • 753 posts
This is why i don't get 30k... 4k is just lord of the rings in space if you don't go too in depth on the lore. That's all i want sometimes! Fantasy with guns!
  • Giganotosaurus likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 401 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Stunties In Speeeehz!!!!!! Killthulhu I hope you get your wish, because I have 4 ancient sets of Ork tinboyz. In each set is a beakie, a panzee, and a stunty tinboy. Oh what glorious fun!!!  :lol

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Lobotomy

• Boyz
  • 753 posts
I kinda want an Ork Titan... Tbh, the stompa is basically a titan but cheap for one. I would never buy it but wouod be funny to see everyone waste even more money. XD

Nefairius

Nefairius

• Blood Axez
  • 539 posts

If toasters are Tomb Kings in Spaaaaace now, i can't see any good reason not to bring in the squats. Mantic started off with their own space dorfs to start with. I personally enjoy dorfs from a distance; if TWWH taught me anything, it's that dorf playstyle is perhaps the least interesting for me. Sadly it was that "Book of Grudges" that amused me so much to actually get the game too... I still like the race(s), the styles, etc... but from afar. I have to think GW was just being damned obstinate about squats for a long time. Kind of dorfish of them, if you think about it.

• Garslag likes this

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,014 posts
If I was to be cynical, I'd say the arrival of the New SquatTM is IP renewal, to show they still use it. They can still spin it (as they have) as a "look how awesome we are for fulfilling a promise" whilst that being entirely an afterthought, in the same way that "better detail" was with Failcast.

It's not a fulfilled promise anyway: noboby says "bring back Squat" although that's exactly what they've done. They haven't "brought Squats back". The odd Squat turning up in the fluff is actually a pretty straightforward thing. Their race will likely die out eventually, but a few are still knocking around.

They wont need more than this model for IP purposes. A full blown range wont follow. Besides, every new range they bring out before doing plastic sisters only proves this company has jumped the shark. Getting Custodes before them is basically an insult.
  • Blakkreaper and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,117 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Expect squat - that way GW can't disappoint you :thumbs

• Dim_Reapa, Garslag and Giganotosaurus like this

Garslag

Garslag

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 792 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
https://goo.gl/images/xZgVdQ
Is this him? I was joking about scale creep, but he looks not much smaller than a Humie. Also less heroic scale than usual.
"Parry the 6!"

Nefairius

Nefairius

• Blood Axez
  • 539 posts

You're probably right Dim, it's about time to renew the ol' Squats IP to keep the vultures at bay. But why not test the waters a little? see if those easy marks fans are interested enough to bleat about it them enough to start a small (pun intended!) run of squats, and go from there. Make what sells, right?

Killthulhu

Killthulhu

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes

I disagree about the IP thing.   GW has no need to keep that IP locked down.  Squats have already proven to be an unpopular army.  Its why they went to the wayside in the first place.  Additionally, GW has already lost so many legal battles over IP as it is, there is no way that they can reasonably expect nobody else to make orks in space, or space elves, so on and so forth.  The ideas behind them came from other sci fi and fantasy sources.  I think you guys have just been sitting in your own cynicism too long :P  Its a new squat model, which is for the very cult-like following of squat fans that still exist.   There are still many other ranges of sci-fi dwarves out there, and you don't see GW going into crazy legal battles with these miniature ranges over them.

"Um, boss? If we'z green, an' da trees iz green, wot we applyin' dis 'ere green camo for?"

"Lissen ya git, ya jus' answered yer own question. Why do ya fink da 'oomies paint everyfing green out 'ere?"

"Because... da 'oomies iz pink?"

"Right! So if we don' make ourselfs green, den we can't be sneeky!"

"But boss... we iz green."

"I know we'z green! We just put on camo! See, dis 'ere iz why I do all the plannin. Now shut yer gob and lets get ta killin."

"Right... you'z da boss..."

-Conversation between two Ork Kommandos intercepted at Listening Post Alpha Four Alpha, Sector Seven, Equitorial Jungle of Armageddon

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,014 posts

It's not a question of GW retaining the exclusive right to make Dwarves in space. It's about retaining the name "Squat" and any associated material. Given that GW frequently licenses out segmented parts of its IP, be it a setting, race or individual for various computer games, to keep IP intact you have to use it, and when any computer game maker can "rent out" a race, and make a game of it, GW wont want to give any ammunition to a producer who goes "Well I make more use out of this property than they do."

GW probably wants to sue Mantic. But seeing as they only barely won against Chapter House, they know better of it. They are however if anything over-vigilant and over-concerned with their own IP and names. Their changes to AoS have been about MAXIMUM COPYRIGHT names. GW thinks far more about how legally sound its produce is than whether or not their new characters have decent names. Which they invariably don't.

As to wallowing in cynicism, well, I guess you're new to GW. ;)

• Blakkreaper and Giganotosaurus like this

Nefairius

Nefairius

• Blood Axez
  • 539 posts

I disagree about the IP thing.   GW has no need to keep that IP locked down.  Squats have already proven to be an unpopular army.  Its why they went to the wayside in the first place.  Additionally, GW has already lost so many legal battles over IP as it is, there is no way that they can reasonably expect nobody else to make orks in space, or space elves, so on and so forth.  The ideas behind them came from other sci fi and fantasy sources.  I think you guys have just been sitting in your own cynicism too long :P  Its a new squat model, which is for the very cult-like following of squat fans that still exist.   There are still many other ranges of sci-fi dwarves out there, and you don't see GW going into crazy legal battles with these miniature ranges over them.

Oh but how wrong you are! "First of all, Squats were *not* dropped because they were not selling well. There were then, and are now, plenty of other figure ranges that sell in the sort of % quantities that the Squats pulled down, especially when you look across all of the ranges produced by GW rather than just those for 40K." -Jervis Johnson. This was from back in '04.

The remarkable thing IMO, is despite not having a great range (even then) they still did pretty well. Dorfs are popular, for some reason.

And GW definitely will keep its hands on every bit of IP it can trademark, particularly an old piece of IP like this. At the very least, it's just business be it miniatures or any other sort of thing. Squats, and whatever stylings particular to it they can claim, is their little slice of the sci-fi miniature world, and they'll protect it even if they have no intention of ever making a squat-dex. 

GW probably wants to sue Mantic. But seeing as they only barely won against Chapter House, they know better of it. They are however if anything over-vigilant and over-concerned with their own IP and names. Their changes to AoS have been about MAXIMUM COPYRIGHT names. GW thinks far more about how legally sound its produce is than whether or not their new characters have decent names. Which they invariably don't.

100% the case IMO Dim. I think a big factor in AoS happening (and declining fantasy sales) was the fallout of the chapterhouse suit. The name changes for 'umie, Dpanzee, etc in 40k- it's all to protect their product from the other model co vultures. Never mind the irony of things like "Lion El'Johnson" and all the other unoriginal origins. After a point, it all becomes the distinct melange of 40k/fantasy. Orks certainly evolved into something original though.  :yes

• Dim_Reapa and Blakkreaper like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Lobotomy

• Boyz
  • 753 posts
I have it on good authority from a person I know who worked for gw that Primaris Beakies were only made for 3 reasons: Make the game more like 30k, make money and to hold the dominant position on copyright. Primaris Beakies are a lot easier to copyright than beakies and it's why they will eventually take over and the word beakies will die.