Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Giant wreck markers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

Many of you may be familiar with the tea light wreck markers we used when wrecked vehicles were a thing.  Here is one example if you are not certain what I am referring to: 

Anyways, I am looking to make some giant ones the size of a Stompa or maybe even larger such as this: https://i.imgur.com/0tK0Z7B.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or better yet a tutorial they could point me towards? 

• Zagursnik likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,267 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Are you looking for something to transport or to keep on site - the easiest option for something that wouldn't need transport would be fibreglass cavity wall insulation which comes in big 'panels', can be easily ripped to give 'flame' type shapes of reasonably large size and wouldn't be that expensive. The downside is that you don't want to be breathing it so you would need to be wearing dust masks (and overalls and disposable gloves and be outdoors for preference) whilst making it and it would probably need a lot of varnish sprayed at it to hold it all together and you really wouldn't want kids mucking about with it :sowhat

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

Both.  They will spend 90% of the time at our Buffalo gaming club, but they need to travel to Adepticon for our narrative events there.  

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,267 posts

Ah, best staying away from fibreglass then - have you had a look at the stuff they use to line thick quilts with (I think it's called kapok :? ).

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

I have not tried to build anything yet.  I built 100 of the regular sized ones a few years back, but I know that material won't work for something bigger.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,267 posts

Looking at your Imgur pik it seems as though you want something about 1' tall, you could possibly reinforce the fluffy stuff (sleeping bag stuffing could be another source) with a cheap plastic ruler on a stand with a hook at the top end pushed up through the centre of the column  :?

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

I like the ruler idea.  Give it stability.  

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,267 posts

Yeah, transparent rulers would be best for avoiding shadows but if you're using two or three lights on the base then a cheap telescopic magnetic bits grabber tool might give extra kool points :D

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

l like the idea if using a transparent ruler, and using multiple lights. Another alternative to fiberglass insulation is a large bag of cotton batting found in craft stores (used for artificial snow among other things). It's cheap, available in large quantities, and doesn't have the issues fiberglass does.

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

I used the cotton in my smaller markers, but it wouldn't be solid enough for the larger sizes.  I think if I use something in the center for stability (ruler) that might make it work.  

Here is what I am going to try:

Cut a thin piece of particle board with a hole saw as the base. 

Mount a rod or rule in the center.  

Drill out smaller holes to insert the tea lights and glue them in place.

Then cover with the batting.

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,267 posts

A refinement to the ruler idea could be to cut diagonally down about 1/8th - 1/4 inch on the sides of the ruler at regular (or slightly irregular) intervals to provide intermediate 'hooks' to help support the cotton wool (or whatever) along the whole length of the ruler rather than just at the top :? If the hooks are angled upwards then they shouldn't interfere with de-mounting the 'smoke' when it's time to pack up.

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,589 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I've never done one stompa sized, but I've used steel wool to make several. It can even withstand some abuse and reshaped. 

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

So I started working on these.  Thought I would provide a link that shows my progress.  https://www.facebook...GentlemanGamer/

• Total AnOrky, Zagursnik and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Looking good!  :thumbs  Glad these seemed to have worked for you. May have to loot your design.  :yes  

Total AnOrky

Total AnOrky

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:AnOrkysts

Can we see some of the finished pictures?

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,509 posts

The largest size.

https://www.facebook...?type=3

The still large, but somewhat smaller size.

https://www.facebook...?type=3