Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaagh uk MkI 2019 organizing thread

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

skarnir

skarnir

Lobotomy

• Blood Axez
  • 752 posts
  • Army Name:SKARNIRS KAMO KILLAZ

Yeah thats right you gitz, were only back from the last meet and already some of us have got the ball rolling.

While most of you gitz was heading Home on Monday myself and big mek Gobsmasha decided to come up with a plan of action for the next meet which includes a to do list.

First on that super secret list was venue.

For those of you who don't know Da Waaagh Uk meets have

typically been held in Warhammer world HQ in Nottingham.

We would book one of the feature tables such as the fish'ead research table. J'magin bridge or more recently spyre prime.

Sadly this will no longer be an option coming into 2019 due to a number of factors

ALL feature tables are being phased out

The booking of tables will no longer be available.

The reason for these changes is two fold.

a lot of players didn't bother showing up for tables they booked and replacing feature tables with standard ones will give warhammer world larger capacity for events. 

During meet 2018 MkII the hall was literally packed to the hilt with standard tables due to a doubles tournament.

After conversing with the warhammer world events staff it seem that they aim to have events through out the year on every available weekend for players to attend.

This leaves us with a few options going forward.

1: we try to stick with going to warhammer world with no option of booking tables and weekends are off the cards altogether, plus feature tables will be gone eventually.

2: we find a new venue close to Warhammer world and Notthingham, giving players the option of popping up to the venue (especially for those who have never been before)

3: we book an Airbnb big enough to accommodate all players and gaming tables for a full weekend of gaming. (this option could also be in and around the area of Nottingham.

I Would personally like to book a lodge or bungalow with space to set up tables and game, plus enough sleeping space for 10+ members.

We also need to decide when we are having the next meet and are we going to have it twice a year. There is a lot to consider.

The world is a much brighter place, when you finally pull your head out of your ass.

Nuck Fewton

Nuck Fewton

Ridin' Boar

• Boyz
  • 118 posts
  • Army Name:Bugsnik's Brass Lads
4.) Ya'll should come to the states

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,381 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

I've got some modular 'flat-pack' 28mm scale industrial/sci-fi building panels which could probably 'urbanise' about 2sq.ft. of board, can be built up to two or three storey facades or complete/ruined buildings. Used to have some sprue/body filler/flocked wire wool trees that wouldn't take long to replace - even got most of a super drops dice tower built up :lol

Edit - I just remembered that I've also got half a dozen old orky barricades as well, and I expect that at least a couple of us will be getting the SpeedFreeks boxed set so there's more terrain there we can bring.

If we can get either a hotel/BnB/whatever with an events room or local hall that we can hire then we should be golden.

Nottingham is only about 50 miles for me so not a problem coz I used to commute nearly that far to work ;)

• skarnir likes this

skarnir

skarnir

Lobotomy

• Blood Axez
  • 752 posts

4.) Ya'll should come to the states

:lol  :lol  :lol 

Maybe you should talk to Laughter next time he runs an Adepticon event.

I've got some modular 'flat-pack' 28mm scale industrial/sci-fi building panels which could probably 'urbanise' about 2sq.ft. of board, can be built up to two or three storey facades or complete/ruined buildings. Used to have some sprue/body filler/flocked wire wool trees that wouldn't take long to replace - even got most of a super drops dice tower built up :lol

Edit - I just remembered that I've also got half a dozen old orky barricades as well, and I expect that at least a couple of us will be getting the SpeedFreeks boxed set so there's more terrain there we can bring.

If we can get either a hotel/BnB/whatever with an events room or local hall that we can hire then we should be golden.

Nottingham is only about 50 miles for me so not a problem coz I used to commute nearly that far to work ;)

I am happy to keep it in and around the Nottingham area myself as east midlands airport is not that far away.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

The world is a much brighter place, when you finally pull your head out of your ass.

Nuck Fewton

Nuck Fewton

Ridin' Boar

• Boyz
  • 118 posts
  • Army Name:Bugsnik's Brass Lads
Which one is Laughter? I'm in the Adepticon team tourney every year. He may have seen our Top Gear themed Ork board last year

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,381 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Which one is Laughter? I'm in the Adepticon team tourney every year. He may have seen our Top Gear themed Ork board last year

This is from a topic he started last year with his facebook page link in it http://www.the-waaag...=54949&p=724520

Big Mek GobSmasha

Big Mek GobSmasha

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 333 posts
  • Army Name:Gobsmasha's Deffskullz

Arses are in gear unusually early indeed...

I'd really rather it stay in Nottingham, obviously! For my part, I'm talking to the uni to see if they'll let me have a function room or whatnot. Unlikely, but worth an ask.

• Badfang Brassaxe and skarnir like this

Nothing is safe from the spannrz n' bloo paint of da Kings of Loot!

"They can cut but they can't paste"

Check out my WIP Log

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Moronik

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,454 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.
Notts is a good central location and has direct or effectively direct transport links to just about every part of the UK and neighbouring countries via East Midlands Airport.

I'd be sad to leave WHW, it's still a good venue, easily reached and the prices are quite reasonable for an event venue (though this is from someone who lives in the south).
If we could persuade them to allow a booking for three regular tables in the hall, I'd take it.

I do have an idea though.
I left Loughborough a few years ago, not long after their LGS closed and the gaming scene relocated to a church hall for their gaming night.
Then a couple of years ago a new shop opened as a general geek shop, but it is quite spacious. They could reasonably fit a 12' x 6' table in the back area.
I don't know if they do this sort of event, if they would ask for a fee (though anything up to £10 per head would be fine by me), but it's an option and only about 30 miles from Notts.
Plus there a few hotels, it's right by the city centre for food (and more importantly drinks) and some Airbnb places.
https://www.airbnb.c...3-18&s=3IyEcqEJ
https://www.airbnb.c...3-18&s=9AooTPB8
  • skarnir likes this

Sifi

Sifi

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 64 posts
I think I have 4 of the old GW 2x4 wood gaming boards somewhere, probably some scenery too, downside is my buggy couldn't fit them and me and Dim all. To be honest I don't know if they'd fit in, could jigsaw them into 2x2 I suppose. Nottingham is handy as in middle, I would also miss kicking off at GW staff about missing Ork stuff from codex & forgeworld books - it's fun.
  • Badfang Brassaxe, skarnir and Big Mek GobSmasha like this
I don't always kill things, but when I do it's coz they were things and I'm an Ork.

Sifi

Sifi

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 64 posts
Thinking if could rent a house/mansion with a double garage that'd be a good option for setting up a big battle, would probs have multiple bathrooms too. If enough lads show cost wouldn't be too bad, probably still cheaper than sharing hotel rooms. Place that big would have driveway big enough for all our buggies too.
I don't always kill things, but when I do it's coz they were things and I'm an Ork.

skarnir

skarnir

Lobotomy

• Blood Axez
  • 752 posts

Thinking if could rent a house/mansion with a double garage that'd be a good option for setting up a big battle, would probs have multiple bathrooms too. If enough lads show cost wouldn't be too bad, probably still cheaper than sharing hotel rooms. Place that big would have driveway big enough for all our buggies too.

I'm thinking the same to be honest, If we just hire out a place to stay big enough for the weekend like a lodge or a bungalow It would be ideal. We could set up stuff before hand and cut down on travel once we get there.

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Moronik

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,454 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.
And more 'Cooking with Da Waaagh!' :D
  • skarnir, Big Mek GobSmasha and Giganotosaurus like this

r_squared

r_squared

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 352 posts
In the past my friends and I would hire out function rooms in a hotel at a reasonable cost for our retro video gaming weekends. Had friends and forum members from all over the country pitch up with their weird and wacky kit and the venues always provided plenty of chairs and tables and usually free tea and coffee too.
Didn't have to stay at that particular hotel either, but in the past we were able to wangle a group booking discount. Helps if you have someone local to make arrangements though.

Just a thought.
  • Dim_Reapa, Badfang Brassaxe and skarnir like this

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,143 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

I vote for alternative venues. I don't appreciate nor care for WHW's decisions and wish to vote with my feet. If future Waaagh Meets take place at WHW I most likely will not attend, or at best, confine myself to Bugmans. I wont be gaming in WHW any more. Nor my local GW.

The very idea that WHW would rid itself of a booking policy, but roll it out to its local stores is quite beyond belief. Absolute lunacy. To me that suggests they don't want custom. So be it.

I may continue with 40k in the future, but as I intend to expand my miniature collection with more purchases that are non-GW, such as Kromlech and such, having a neutral venue will avoid some jobsworth approaching me and telling me to remove models from the table.

I like the option of booking a space to stay and game in one place. That would save a lot of time. It would necessitate bringing scenery and also likely boards too though. I have a local venue that could support a big gaming table for a mega battle, but whilst Saturdays can be doable, Sundays are almost out of the question due to various church/prayer groups. I'm also up North. The one virtue being, things are far, far cheaper up here than elsewhere, even in my local city.

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Big Mek GobSmasha

Big Mek GobSmasha

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 333 posts

I'm happy to provide/store scenery and whatnot, but obviously I can't easily transport it myself.

The uni option still has potential, I'm yet to get anywhere with enquiries, but the 'gaming house' option is sounding more and more attractive.

• skarnir likes this

Check out my WIP Log

El Presidente

El Presidente

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 0 posts
  • Army Name:Grots

I have endless scenery; as a result of hosting the Student Nationals 3 years ago so would be happy to supply for an alternative venue to WHW. I agree that a central location makes most sense to meet at. If WHW can't guarantee tables then we need to find an alternative. Its their loss. Could we see if either of the Games Societies from the universities in Nottingham would like us to put on a weekend for them? We may get the venue free in exchange for accommodating some students. We'll clearly have enough spare figures with us to let people turn up and play and we might well recruit a few more for future meets. 

• skarnir likes this

El Presidente

El Presidente

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 0 posts
  • Army Name:Grots

Its never too early to think about dates. If possible, please can we avoid the weekends of 9th/10th March and 16th/17th March 2019. February or the other weeks in March would all be fine. Thanks

Big Mek GobSmasha

Big Mek GobSmasha

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 333 posts

Working on the Game Society thing Presidente...Safe to say I'm now kicking myself for not going to any of their events so far. I'll go talk to a person in charge when I get a hot minute. :blush

• skarnir likes this

Check out my WIP Log

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,476 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull

Nottingham? Central? :lol Not from Edinburgh it isn't! Not that I'll be attending... Not enough of an army right now to make it worth it. 

Sifi

Sifi

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 64 posts
Don't let a lack of boys stop you joining in, took Skarnir 3 years to get 2 mobs painted. We'll make sure you've got some units to run, more the merrier and results in more carnage.
  • skarnir likes this