Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Brand new to Orks and 8th! First Army List 1500

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Killthulhu

Killthulhu

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 35 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes

So, my first post here on The Waaagh, and my first army list in years!  The last time I played regularly was in 3rd edition.  I dabbled a bit in 7th and I honestly hated it.  All the formations and special rules were overwhelming, and the game felt really unbalanced.  But, from what I've heard about 8th from the guys at my store that keep bugging me to get back into the game, 8th has been a fairly balanced and streamlined considering only a few armies have codex. So, I've decided to get back into the gaming side of the hobby and I'm going with Orks!  

Orks are honestly an enigma to me.  I've only ever played against them, never with.  Coming from the land of MSU beakie squads backed by rhinos, making an entire list with no tanks, transports, or walkers is uncharted water.  From the research I have done, it seems until the dex gets released, lots of Boyz are your friend.  So, that in mind, I decided to go with a Blood Axe "Infuntry Krumpany" feel:

Battalion Detachment: 

HQ

Warboss 
Kombi Skorcha, Power Klaw, Attack Squig 

Weirdboy 

Da Jump

Boss Snikrot 

Elites: 

8 Nobz
8 Ammo runts, 10x Sluggas, Big Choppas 

15 Kommandos 
Boss Nob w Big Choppa, Sluggas, Choppas, 2x Burna 

15 Kommandos 
Boss Nob w Big Choppa, Sluggas, Choppas, 2x Burna 

Troops: 

25 Boyz  
Nob w Big Choppa, Sluggas, Choppas 

25 boyz 

25 boyz 

Heavy Support 

Mek Gunz
3x Kustom Mega Kannons 

Total: 1475 

I have 25 points to spare if my math is right. What to spend it on though? Another boy for each mob? The overall strategy is pretty straight forward: slog up the field, weirdboy jumps one of them (hopefully into the enemy's shootiest unit to keep the other boyz safe from fire), either use the Kommandos as the "anvil" to the "hammer" that are the boyz, late game objective grabbers, or as back field harassment. There are three weaknesses to this list I can see:

1. The biggest weakness to this list I can see is taking Snikrot as opposed to another boss to keep all my boyz in a boss bubble.  I just think he looks real snazz and is a fluffy choice for Blood Axes, plus he could be useful for tearing up back line support units like devastators. I try to make lists that are both fluffy and playable, so hopefully he does alright. I may still remove him and use him in larger games with another attachment. Thoughts?

2.  The boyz squads aren't maxxed out.  Taking six wounds off of a squad doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, and losing that Green Tide rule seems worrisome. It was never hard for me as a player to kill ten or so boys as they advanced with flamers or frag missiles, but then again the days of templates are over.  I'm hoping by having three large blobs of boys, target saturation will keep the enemy from knocking more than two mobs down below the threshold before they get into charge range.  From yall's experience, how many boyz can I expect to lose to enemy fire?  Should I reallocate some points to max them out, or would 25 be fine?

3.  Lack of true anti tank/flyer capability.  All I have is the KMKs. and Big Choppaz. I thought of maybe switching the Nobz for more KMKs or maybe a unit of Lootas?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Killthulhu

"Um, boss? If we'z green, an' da trees iz green, wot we applyin' dis 'ere green camo for?"

"Lissen ya git, ya jus' answered yer own question. Why do ya fink da 'oomies paint everyfing green out 'ere?"

"Because... da 'oomies iz pink?"

"Right! So if we don' make ourselfs green, den we can't be sneeky!"

"But boss... we iz green."

"I know we'z green! We just put on camo! See, dis 'ere iz why I do all the plannin. Now shut yer gob and lets get ta killin."

"Right... you'z da boss..."

-Conversation between two Ork Kommandos intercepted at Listening Post Alpha Four Alpha, Sector Seven, Equitorial Jungle of Armageddon

PhillyT

PhillyT

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 940 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I would drop the kombi-skorcha and some of the big choppas to get the boy units up to 30.  Snikrot is a fine choice, nothing wrong there.  You have enough kommandos to justify him.

You really should get some power klaws into your units.  Big choppas are the current hotness, but as you said there is a serious lack of anti-vehicle.  Big choppas can't get that job done.

Killthulhu

Killthulhu

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 35 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes

I would drop the kombi-skorcha and some of the big choppas to get the boy units up to 30.  Snikrot is a fine choice, nothing wrong there.  You have enough kommandos to justify him.

You really should get some power klaws into your units.  Big choppas are the current hotness, but as you said there is a serious lack of anti-vehicle.  Big choppas can't get that job done.

I absolutely agree with you.  After looking at the list and running some numbers, my chances of taking out even transports is low, and it is all dependent on them being within a 36 inch range on a very non-mobile platform.  I decided that taking KMK Mek Guns, while more survivable, wouldn't be the best platform for me to use on a list without other threats to screen for them and separate the enemy shooting.  After looking through the dex, I think that switching them out for Deffkoptas with kopta rokkits would be better.  I can run three single units, place them anywhere on the board at any time, and I can support them with my Kommando's charging after they arrive with Power Klaws and Skorchas to finish the job.  So, KMKs are out, Deffkoptas are in.  Plus, fewer models for me to paint  :thumbs 

As far as getting the Boyz up to 30 a piece, I started looking at the combat output of my units, and frankly the Nobz with Big Choppaz were underwhelming compared  Survivable and killy, yes, but they have nowhere near the combat output of a squad of Boyz with 20+ remaining. To pay for Power Klaws and max out the Boyz squads, I've decided to drop them entirely.

Doing so left me with quite a hefty bit of points left over, around 150 to spend.  I thought of getting another unit of Boyz for even more mayhem, but looking at the list, I noticed that I didn't have much in the way of ranged anti infantry support.  I've got nothing in the way of softening targets before I get the Boyz charging in besides Big Bomms on Deffkoptas, which is practically nothing.  I also started thinking about late game objective grabbing.  Besides Kommandos, I don't have any units that I can guarantee will be able to reach an objective on turn 6, and by only having two units of them I can't guarantee that is what they will end up doing.  I might need them to get stuck in earlier.  So, I started looking at transports to move around depleted Boyz units and Kommandos in the late game.  I'm thinking the best option for this would be a Chinork Warkopta.  By the late game, its very possible my Boyz and Kommandos will be depleted to 10 or fewer models.  A Warkopta is incredibly mobile and can pick them up and ferry them to objectives.  I mean, if they aren't below that, then great.  But if they are, moving them quickly is something the Chinork can do.  Two Rattler Kannons and a Big Shoota are nothing to sneeze at and should be able to put out some quality dakka onto the field.  Plus, its one more unit I can set up wherever I would like on the board.

So, all that being said, here is the new and updated list.  Thoughts on the "improvements?" I think this version will play a lot better, enable me to pressure the enemy a lot more, and give me a better chance against the shootier armies in the game with a total of 5 units I can set up wherever they are most needed:

HQ: 

Warboss 
Power Klaw, Attack Squig

Weirdboy 

Boss Snikrot 

Elites:

12 Kommandos 
Boss Nob w Power Klaw, Sluggas, Choppas, 2x Burna

12 Kommandos 
Boss Nob w Power Klaw, Sluggas, Choppas, 2x Burna

Troops:

30 Boyz 

30 boyz 

30 boyz 

Dedicated Transport:

Chinork Warkopta 
2x Rattler Cannon, Big Shoota, 2x Bigbomm

Fast Attack:

1 Deffkopta 
Kopta Rokkits, Bigbomm

1 Deffkopta 
Kopta Rokkits, Bigbomm

1 Deffkopta 
Kopta Rokkits, Bigbomm

Total: 1499

Thoughts?

-Killthulhu

"Um, boss? If we'z green, an' da trees iz green, wot we applyin' dis 'ere green camo for?"

"Lissen ya git, ya jus' answered yer own question. Why do ya fink da 'oomies paint everyfing green out 'ere?"

"Because... da 'oomies iz pink?"

"Right! So if we don' make ourselfs green, den we can't be sneeky!"

"But boss... we iz green."

"I know we'z green! We just put on camo! See, dis 'ere iz why I do all the plannin. Now shut yer gob and lets get ta killin."

"Right... you'z da boss..."

-Conversation between two Ork Kommandos intercepted at Listening Post Alpha Four Alpha, Sector Seven, Equitorial Jungle of Armageddon

Hypertrophy

Hypertrophy

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts
Awesome jungle+helicopter theme list. Be sure to play Fortunate Son by Creedance Clear Water Revival when your assaulting with your Koptas lol

PhillyT

PhillyT

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 940 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I would always get power klaws on those boyz lists.  They will never dig those things out.  They are vicious.