Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

need help with magnets size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

brutalis

brutalis

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 596 posts
I'm looking to magnetize my orc army. I' ve made the trays but i'm not sure what size magnets to order. I want to order a bunch of rare earth magnets (or something similar) but i'm not sure which size is the right to fit under the bases. Any ideas anyone?

Klawgut

Klawgut

the ginger haired squig

• Boyz
  • 437 posts
  • Army Name:Klawgut IronToofs tooflords
I know your not in UK but if you go to gifts for geeks ( a UK site) they sell a magnetic basing kit for warhammer stuff.

try teh following link. It says they are out of stock at present but they will get stuff in if they know there is business for it.

http://giftsforgeeks.....Basing%20Kit/
"DAKKA DA CHOPPY STUFF AND CHOPPA DA DAKKA-IE STUFF!! WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!" Warboss Klawgut

Praetorians
BTSWA

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
I know that there are a couple magnet places, like K and J Magnets (or Magnetics, can't exactly recall the name) and Amazing Magnets. I've bought from both of those places. I'm trying to remember what size I bought for magnetizing my beakies to their display base... I'll have a look when I get home and update this post if I can. One thing you can do is to get a bit of sheet metal from a Home Depot-like store. It's pretty cheap and that can be the base for your movement tray. The rare earth magnets stick to it great, and you only have to magnetize the underside of the bases of the figures. Saves you money that way. The plastics are pretty easy to magnetize - the metals are tough, since they're so dang heavy. I haven't really had much luck there, since I haven't bought magnets of sufficient size for that chore... The plastics don't need a very big magnet to make them stick though, so it's a good and relatively cheap endeavor.

eddie the troll

eddie the troll

Da Mole

• Boyz
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:At the center of my universe, Whangarei, Noo Zeelund
  • Army Name:Which Army are we talking about?
I normall use a 1mm deep by 3 mm diameter for figures, using tow or three for larger models. The depth of the magnet must match the available depth in the recess under the models base, minus about 0.5mm for the glue. If the magnet is too thick it stops the models base from working when the model is placed on a slope
the voices in my head sound better as a choir

War isn't about who's right... war is about who's left...

Sumus ubi Sumus

brutalis

brutalis

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 596 posts
Excellent! Thanks for the tips guys. I have already placed metal sheets on all the movement trays. Time to order the magnets )