Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaagh! Defgrim

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
How many of these have I started so far? Eh, matters little now, I still have hordes of orks sitting in a toolbox collecting dust and cobwebs. Those models sadly suffered from the "I MUST PLAY" rush job of building and painting... most are still coated with black primer or army painter greenskin...and the vehicles are a horrible combination of blue and red primer that makes it look like I was building an optimus primed themed list (not a bad idea...but not where I was going.)

Last year I traded in a squiggoth to my local GS for the same price I bought it... never got enough of an army built to justify it, and also never worked up the nerve to do more than take it out of it's foam and ogle the bare resin from time to time. With that I picked up a bunch of ork stuff, including three battleforces...now finally I'm starting to build my orks again. Hopefully this time, I'll stick to my shootas and actually take care in my assembly and get these boyz painted as I go.

A part of me wanted to wait until 6th dropped, to see what wonders and horrors it would hold for the Orks. However, I can safely build some things and by starting small I should be okay.

The first thing up is a mob of shoota boyz that will be ferried around in a trukk once I get to kitbashing one. I've tried to do a little converting on everything here...or at least give each boy character in how they're posed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Totgeboren and Big Mek Rekkcrasha like this
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lastly, the group shot:
Posted Image

Comments are welcome. While I love the way they turned out... I am still at a loss as to what my color scheme is going to be... my earlier compromise between red and blue was rather ugly on the tabletop... I want to avoid a skittles army, but I may end up doing just that.
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Nice work on giving all your shoota boyz little conversions, it really adds to the character of the unit. I regret sticking all my basic boys together straight out of the box now. My favourite is "da mad bomba" - you can never have enough stikkbombz! :biggrin Are you going to paint one unit at a time or can't you resist the urge to start work on the next unit? ;) As for waiting for 6th ed, rumours are that rapid fire weapons will be improving so you should be safe with shoota boyz. :dakka
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
Thanks, I think the mad bomma is my favorite of the lot too. Believe me... it's hard to resist diving into building the next mob... or even the trukk to go with these lads, especially since I have to wait for my flgs to restock some of the paints I need. But, so far I'm managing to stick to my gunz on this one and not just build build build... gork and mork as my witnesses I will have these boyz painted before I build the next ork in my army. Although, that may be hard... spikeybitz gave out a bunch of little bitz bags in the adepticon swag bag, at a suggestion from a friend I cobbled together the lower jaw from one of the new boarz and the upper part of a blackreach head. It's dam hard not to just build an ork to go with the head now, though whether boss or nob I'm not sure.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
Whelp, it's not much, but here's the first of the painted boys. He's mostly an experimentation in getting used to the new paint line with my old color scheme. Caliban->Warpstone->Moot for the skin.

Posted Image

This isn't the only thing I've done, I've also begun a handful of conversions as I bounce from one thing to the next...and of course my entry for the buggy contest. I can't post that here until the contests ends sadly.

JakubMB

JakubMB

squig attack arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 480 posts
  • Army Name:Nobbog's Fury
The boys look proppa with them shootas! Good work on the posing. I like the shields on the shootas. I guess these are 'ard boys? Think I'm gonna copy this idea, when I build my 'ard mob! You should have painted them yellow though... :nono
Nobbog's Bad Moon Fury

WAAAGH!!!

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
Heh, they aren't 'ard boys per se. My original plan was to make four mobs with three 'eavy armor boys in it and one mob would be lead by a Nob that looked like he had 'eavy armor. The reason would be is that if I needed to I could pull those guys out and make an ard boy mob if I wanted to run one. However, until I see what 6th holds, that's on the backburner.

Eldormen

Eldormen

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
My favrit is the stickbomma lad two, whoudle you be cool if I looted him?
QUOTE (Dim_Reapa @ Jun 28 2011, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Random? That's not random...

How do you kill a turtle with a packrat? Answer? Hacksaw.

That's random.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
Well, finished another one of the lads, this time it's the big shoota boy who's had some reconstruction done by the local pain boss.
Posted Image

Originally I was going to mix up their pant and shirt colors a bit more, but it's easier to tell mobs apart if they all have the same or similar schemes... so I'm sticking with what I started with.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
Well, Boy number 3 is done... and I gotta say. I may just switch back to slugga boyz for the rest of my army. Gork alive it's a pain to try and paint shoota boyz when their arms are covering their chest, to make matters worse I've built a couple with full on armor, complete with gobs. What in the name of mork was I thinking?

Oh right... it would look dead 'ard...

Anyway, here he is, boy number 3:
Posted Image

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
So, as part of my threat for July I've got some before and after shots of my much abused SAG:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bought this when the model first came out and have been fighting with it ever since. The damn thing is metal, never seems to glue properly or hold paint and despite several thorough washings, always gives me trouble. Fortunately the last horrible slop on of the foundation paints seems to have held, so I'm just painting over those with my current methods. Got the main body done but I think I'm gonna fail on the arms before end of the month.

Warboss Mick

Warboss Mick

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,044 posts
Looks great so far, might be stealing some stuff for my own army :dakka .
Warboss Mick's WAAAGH! : http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51831 (Started assembling Rebel Grots / Gretchin, Big picture's . Update 19-05-2013)

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

Wow, it's been awhile. I'm sad to say that after all that effort in painting the SAG, the model just wouldn't stay together. After fouling up most of the paintjob with chipping and glue and it still wouldn't hold. I have a finecast one waiting to be but together and am tempted to just pick up the new plastic one, but wasting all that time painting a model only to have it be all but impossible to put together is probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had in the hobby.

In the meantime, I've painted up some more of the boyz mob, each of which i've been fairly proud of.

Ork036.png

Ork027.png

Ork028.png

Ork029.png

Ork030.png

Ork031.png

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

This next ork is a bit different because unlike the others, that I painted from the ground up, he's one of my old fully painted boyz that I painted over to make him match.

The camera shows off all the flaws, but he looks good on the table.

Ork032.png

And now, for something a little bit special. I don't know how many people remember the story I had going in the Tales from Da Waaagh section, but I ended up making a model for Komissar Bludaxe.
Ork033.png

He's built off of a tankbusta nob with a kustom made big choppa, pistol and new head. Once I got him painted he became one of my favorite models.

Last, but certainly not least, I have my KFF big mek, Grimbolt. He's got a burna/mek tools and makes use of one of my favorite ork heads.

Ork034.png

...ok, and the group shot!

Ork035.png

• warhead01 likes this

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

While I'm still picking out details and tinkering with the paintjob on the turret, this is mostly finished.

This looted wagon was a wonderful gift I got through the Waaagh! Sekret Santa. Originally it had a different turret with a larger boomgun, but I ended up putting that on a battlewagon and putting the killkannon turret on this one.

To make it look good an properly looted I painted a bit of it to look like an ultramarines rhino. Overall, I'm really pleased with how it's been turning out.

BoomWagon001.pngBoomWagon002.pngBoomWagon003.png

• warhead01 and alien027 like this

Meruru

Meruru

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 30 posts
Job's a good'un boss! ... no seriously I love the conversions.
Not 100% sold on the skin color (to bright for my taste).

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

The skin was the result of trying to find the best color match to the way I had painted them before, which had been Orkhide Shade with Snot Green over it. The closest matches ended up giving me a bright look to the skin which I found I liked.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

And it continues to limp along... I think I'm at an update every other year now?

Anyway, I made a threat of a Trukk for this month and have finished assembly...
12507342_10208628736426807_2404412877409

Pretty much straight from the kit... though with a few small modifications. A bloodaxe symbol for the hood ornament, a rokkit in place of the big shoota, a couple of head swaps and one bit you can't see...

I carved out the insides of the back wheels and slipped a couple of magnets in there. This allows it to anchor more fully to the metal table war case that I've got it on and prevent it from sliding.

I bought the case years ago to fit my orks and then never ended up using it as I flitted from Army to Army. But this time... This time I'm magnetizing the whole ork force to go on it.

• Goff Boss likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 478 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Agreed on the utility of magnetizing  or making ferrous bases for models.  :thumbs

I have washers or magnetic sheeting on the bottom of all my Orks. It makes them both stand on hills during games better and be much easier to transport in trays with magnetic sheeting.

PS, good you picked a proppa group like Blood Axes.

Goff Boss

Goff Boss

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 203 posts

Loved the characterful conversions you did a few back!