Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Color Modulation

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
I've been trying to see what effects I can get out of my airbrush for Epic models. While I realize this is considered "silly" & "unpossible" in some corners, I have found it's a great way to learn more about what my airbrush can do. :biggrin

Here is my first attempt at giving the fabulous Lungbursta a bit of a lift with a modulated base coat. I think it came out better than just zenithal spraying, but it took more time.
Attached File  Color_mod.JPG   75.8KB   83 downloads

Few more tweaks and I'll get some color on it.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
That's just silly. :eek Absolutely brilliant. I can't wait to see what you get for final results. You appear to have amazing control of your airbrush. :thumbs
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts

You appear to have amazing control of your airbrush. :thumbs

Honestly, I'm somewhat of a n00b when it comes to airbrushing, but masking helps make everything come out in the wash. :)

This is what the model looks like pre-spray. It's easy to keep moving the blu-tac masking to the next panel and so on for the first shade of grey and then come back around for the next lighter shade.
Attached File  Color_mod3.JPG   52.07KB   21 downloads

I did a similar thing for sections of this Great Gargant , but it's hard to see in the pics. There is also a Slasha in the works, so hopefully I'll be able to share pics of that soonish.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
Ahhhhh, I see. Brilliant. Thanks for that graphic. :thumbs

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
First layer of color applied. It's glossy due to Future in the mix. Got a few plates marked off for metallics and painted those+ the barrel in a thinned iron color. Attached File  Color_mod4.JPG   40.06KB   58 downloads

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Added in some detail & weathering. Lots more to do! :) Attached File  Color_mod5.jpg   139.94KB   68 downloads

Zog

Zog

Wants Panzies

• Bad Moonz
  • 484 posts
  • Army Name:Zogs Boyz
This is sweet :thumbs Insane. But sweet :thumbs
Gone crazy.... Back soon....

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
Niiice... I thought I was silly for trying Colour Modulation with Flames of War-scale tanks! This takes it to a whole new level!! :thumbs
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
I think color modulation could really be key for smaller scale stuff. You get more punch out of the surface and the result is far better than some of the other things I've tried with Epic scale models. With masking, it's pretty easy to pull off, but I wouldn't go much farther than 2-3 transition colors for the base. I look forward to seeing your FoW stuff Aga! :biggrin

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Sunlight shot & front. Attached File  color_mod8.JPG   45.57KB   58 downloads Attached File  Color_mod7.JPG   36.73KB   30 downloads I am a knucklehead and neglected to drill out the main gun & launchers before painting, so those got attention. :sowhat Basically done with major weathering at this point and I just need to add my Snakebite logo along with more dags/glyphs.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Hairspray is fer gurlz. No, really... ;) Here is my latest shot at Epic paint chipping on an armored plate that is 7mm X 5mm: Attached File  krakle.jpg   72.05KB   48 downloads There is a test on an old beakie shoulderpad in the left top corner as well.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Another plate from the side of a Slasha-class Gargant. Attached File  plate_k.JPG   85.01KB   34 downloads

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
Wow, that is insane. Truly. Looks good, but I think it must look even better in person. Great job, ya nutter.

arjbrown

arjbrown

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 84 posts
That is amazing work my good man !!! I am soooo jealous of you skill !!! :crybaby Did you have to sell your sole to get that good ???

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Thanks for the compliments! :) Frankly, I'm just trying to push the envelope a bit with the game system that is Forge World's raison d'Ítre. If I can get some models done that nobody can scale from the pics, then I've hit the mark. ;) I got stuck on my "experiment" and did some modulated basecoating to hopefully add interest to the Slasha. This is just greys & I'll add in the white peak highlights later. As the shoulders, front, & back are due for some serious renovation, this is as far as I'll go. Attached File  slash_base.JPG   41.36KB   40 downloads

balsak_da_mighty

balsak_da_mighty

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 465 posts
  • Army Name:?
Brillant! I am totally speechless..........................................!

Nitpick

Nitpick

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 1 posts
... ! Brilliance-hurting-my-eyes-can't-see-keyboard!

arjbrown

arjbrown

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 84 posts
any new stuff to show your public !!!