Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

KroozA'z 101 "How To Build a DefRolla"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
This thread will give up step by step instructions to build urself a DefRolla every bit as good as the FW one. (((((((((Theres no need to replie to this thread!)))))))) Stage one to follow shortly.
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
STAGE 1 First you need to get some kind of tube. I find that these bathroom sealent tubes are great. Theyre made from soft plastic so are easy to cut. Once you have desided on the length you want "in this case 60mm" make two marks on opposite sides of the tube. Then wrap a length of masking tape around the tube using the two marks as a refrence. This is an easy wau to make a straight line on the curved surface. Now you can cut the tube using a sharp modeling knife. Take care to follow the masking tape so ur cut it straight. SupaGlue the end of the tube to a square peice plasticard. "0.5mm thickness is best" Once set cut the excess plasticard off. Then repeat the process on the other end. Using thin plasticard makes cutting a neat curve much easier. Once both ends are done u can repeat the whole process so the plasticard is double thickness. You will find doing it this way is quicker and easier than trying to do the job in one go with thick plasticard.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stage1.jpg

Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Commissar Elvis

Commissar Elvis

'Ead Graft

• Bad Moonz
  • 719 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Fuggoff
Feel free to have the mods delete this if I'm interrupting the continuity. Another way to make the plasticard endcaps would be to measure the diameter (or radius) of the caulking tube (Ameri-speak for that stuff). Then just take a compass and score a circle of the proper diameter onto plasticard. Repeat. Cut out and glue in/on. :thumbs
'Ere we go, 'ere we go, cross the Kosmos, 'ere we go, 'ere we go, throo infinity.
Don't know where we're goin' til we get there. 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
STAGE 2: Cut two strips of plastic 0.5mm thick plasticard "in this case 60mm wide" Wrap one of the strips around the tube to get the correct length. Then supaglue in place. Stage 3 will make use of the other strip

Attached Thumbnails

• Stage2.jpg

Nuf Said.

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
STAGE 3: Ok this is where things get a little more involved. Take the other strip of plasticard and again wrap around the tube to get the correct length... cut to length. In this example the length is 160mm Using a pen and ruler divide the strip into equal sections. In this case Ive divided it into six sections each 25mm wide. This leaves a spare 10mm left, which will become the spacing for each section. Also divide the strip lengthways as shown. If that sounds confusing Ive included a pic of wat the end result looks like so I hope that makes it clearer. Cut the two long sections "D" out first, these need to be the full length as they will wrap around the rolla seamlessly. Then cut out the other sections "A,B,C" Start with A1, glue this to the rolla as shown, then glue A2 leaving a space between A1 and A2. There are six A panels so try to get the spacing equal. Then repeat with the "C" panels. The "B" panels are offset from the A and C panelz as shown in the pic. When all these panels are glued in place add the two D panels. You will find that the panels will prolly start to lift at the ends due to the curved surface. I find it best to add a small about of glue between the panels and wrap the whole rolla in masking tape while the glue sets.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stage3.gif

Nuf Said.

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
STAGE 4: Now u need to clean the rolla up a bit as it will have sticky bits from the masking tape on it and the spaces between the panelz will need cleaning. Best way to do this is with fine sand paper. I use grade 400 wet n dry glass paper.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stage4.jpg

Nuf Said.

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
STAGE 5: Now its time to add some detail. Firstly cut two squares of plasticard for each end. Add a round GW base to the squares. Make some rivetz using a Leather Hole Punch.and add them as shown. And thats it! One proppa lookin DefRolla. Cost? About 60p worth of Plasticard. ;) Hope you enjoyed this thread :biggrin All comments now welcome ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Stage5.jpg

Nuf Said.

trubs

trubs

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
Sweet....Cheap too! :thumbs

deviantsaint

deviantsaint

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 139 posts
  • Army Name:none yet
Very cool! Thanks for the how to.....Just getting started on another Trukk so I think I'll be using this to dress up the front a bit. Another tube that might work for this is plumbing pipe. Get the plastic kind and it'll be easy to cut, plus, it's a bit thicker then chaulking tubes.

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Bobz Killa Konvitkz
Good Post Krooza, and usefull! I had similar success with a length of white PVC pipe, two used paint can tops, and index cards. See the Dakka-lith for an example. :cheers
meh.

Warboss Grimek

Warboss Grimek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,284 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh Grimmo, till I come up with something original...
I can't believe I missed this.... :rolleyes Sweet stuff there dude... Although I may stuff end up using PVC pipe... Easier to get for me(since I never managed to use the sealant stuff up, I can't justify using the tube yet... :( ) Maybe I can try using spray paint caps... I have a crap load of those about... :yes Edit: Well will you look at that... I need my eyes checked... Scarp already though of the paint cap thing.... and the PVC pipe thing.... :search

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
Here's a more detailed construct of what I did

That's a piece of 1 1/2 plastic pvc pipe, and a couple of caps from dried up citadel paint

Posted Image

The side supports - plastic I-beam, spear tips from a goblin sprue, and more sprue, this from the Monolith kit. Note that these are just plain weedy compared to Krooza's version of the side supports, but mine are removable (the I-beam slides into a channel on the bottom of the model)

The caps go on the inside, and a hole is drilled though the center of each. A small dowel (bamboo skewer) is than run as an axel. Index card was cut, and superglued to the top, than "rivited" with goblin spear shaft rivits.

Posted Image
meh.

dmork

dmork

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
  • Army Name:WIP
how about an empty 2oz bottle of ceramcoat? do you think that could work?

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
ahem.

Posted Image
meh.

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts

Oooh itz that one! ;)
Very nice :thumbs
I think the suports look a bit weedy though.
wats the dimentions of that battlefortress?

I agree, they are a bit weedy.

dimensions? its, um, 1 x monolith. :lol

I'll have to measure it tonight and get back to you.
meh.

Icklemek

Icklemek

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 302 posts
  • Army Name:Da Flames Of Mork
Quick question Where can I find rules, if there are any, for a DeathRolla?

Me not Weedy

Me not Weedy

Weedy

• Deathskullz
  • 2,240 posts
  • Army Name:Not Weedy's Lootin Gitz

Quick question
Where can I find rules, if there are any, for a DeathRolla?

Codex : Armageddon
Sometimes when I'm alone I pretend I'm a squig...
-silly buck toofed git

Whining aimlessly is totally my hobby.
-silly buck toofed git

Icklemek

Icklemek

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 302 posts
  • Army Name:Da Flames Of Mork
lovely thanks