Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FW Ork Battlewagon Blog

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
229 replies to this topic

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
Well... to celebrate both the arrival of the new 40K rules, as well as my brand new Dremel I'm receiving today as my birthday gift, I've decided to finally build my Forgeworld Battlewagon. Given all the other talk about Battlewagons in the Goff Fortress, this seemed to be rather appropriate...

I've had this model for two years, sitting in a box, untouched... it's about damn time I pulled it out.

However, to make sure that I get it done, and to hopefully keep it up, I've decided to do a Blog in the Mek's Garage. The other Nobz seem to be okay with me pinning it up here for your perusal.

So... here's a smattering of the initial pics...

I've already started working on stuff, so here's my work area covered in resin bitz as I've pulled everything out of bags and have started cleaning stuff off... It's a real mess...
Posted Image

Before going any further, I decided to catalogue the main pieces of the Battlewagon. In these pics, I've labelled everything, but I do have stock pics of these without the labels if anybody wants them.

First off, here's the pics of the left and right track assemblies plus the tracks themselves...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The top hull piece, as well as the armour plates that go on the sides... I'll include a shot of the undercarriage later...

Posted Image

And the Almighty Engine
Posted Image

Here's a close-up of the Engine top:
Posted Image

What you don't see in these pics, at least yet, are the bitz for the gunners, the Zzap gun, the driver, and the dethroller. I've not pulled those out of the package yet, but they're coming soon enough.

First order of building is to catalogue the bitz, make sure I have everything, clean them off of flash marks, vents, and other extra resin-y bits; and then carefully clean every piece of resin using the resin-prep material that I have. I believe resin-prep is actually Goo-Gone in a different bottle... but don't quote me on that.

Keep watching this space, and watch this behemoth coming together!
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

OrkSlugga

OrkSlugga

Runtherd

• Grotz
  • 318 posts
  • Army Name:Utz Waaaghcoms Ladz
Looking good, how can you not of got around to building it in 2 years? Its beautifull, i built mine the day it came in the post, although painting took a while. It takes me back looking at the battle wagon in that stage i realy enjoyed building mine, i hope you enjoy building yours. Have you washed the resin? It looks a little shiney.
Waaaagh da grey beakies, da best grey beakie site around.

Wez is proppa wez red n yelowz lootas datz means we az da brainz and da lootyness but wez still az ard az da goffs, bluz if for da little 'uns wez iz RED N YELLOWZ.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
I haven't washed it yet... that will come after I clean the flashing and stuff off first... :)
______Agatheron \_______

hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 1,027 posts
  • Army Name:Gor-Grim's Boyz (need a new name)
good luck on constructing this beauty! I'm wanting to buy a FW model but i dont have the money :( but i will ONE day!
1000th post on Tues 14th Nov 2006

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
Well... a few more pics to show...

Since today is me birthday, I finally got a chance to use my Dremel. Since it's by-product will be resin dust when working on any Forgeworld Models, I had to make sure I was appropriately protected:

Posted Image

This thing works a treat on resin, but keep a vaccuum nearby to clean up the dust quickly. It even sticks to stuff... I don't have any more pics of what the pieces look like post-dremel work, but I will say this, using a grinding stone cleans up the models very nicely. One does need to be careful of it, but it has taken away mould lines that would have taken me far far longer to remove... and done so smoothly.

I was really surprised at how quietly the Dremel operates...

As a bit of a bonus, I broke out the Dethroller and started cleaning the pieces...

Posted Image

As well as a shot of the resin driver piece that comes with the Battlewagon...

Posted Image
______Agatheron \_______

warbosssean

warbosssean

da thread digga

• Freebooterz
  • 2,851 posts
  • Army Name:Still thinking
hey thnx aga, im going to get a BW soon, so i could look at this! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
Day 3... and I'm all finished creating toxic dust in my basement... time to clean it...

So I packed up everything into little bags and carried it upstairs to the kitchen counter...

Posted Image

Why the kitchen, you ask? Because the drain on the sink can be covered in such a way to prevent the bitz from going down the drain in case I drop them. So... the basic tools are Resin Prep... which I've poured out into a small container, an old toothbrush, and a sink.

Posted Image

Here's the actual bottle of Resin Prep, and what it looks like:
Posted Image

This stuff is pretty good, but just a few tips... DON'T dip the toothbrush in the bottle, as this stuff reacts with water... once you pour some out into a container, it will be all that you use... It doesn't go back in the bottle lest it spoils the rest of it. I learned that the hard way once.

In terms of cleaning the pieces, I'd dip the toothbrush in the mix, scrub the piece and rinse with water...

Posted Image

Once the pieces were done, I put them on some tea towels to dry off... dabbing with paper towels here and there...

Posted Image

This is how it's sitting downstairs right now... I need to head out shortly, so I should put this stuff away before I head out. The warboss would not be pleased if I left this out on her counter ;)
______Agatheron \_______

Gashbad

Gashbad

Stompa Warz Champeen

• Freebooterz
  • 2,510 posts
  • Army Name:Gashbad's Loudboyz
none of the new pics are working except for the one of the resin prep. :( Of course now that i posted that, they work now... :blush
This user has been given a total of four (4) 'free" rants as sporeday gifts from the members of this site.
Some conditions apply, check coupon for details

Rafi

Rafi

Warbuggy Driver

• Snakebitez
  • 1,575 posts
I see them fine.
The struggle itself is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Sneeky Git

Sneeky Git

Dah Cheef uv Speshul Ops

• Nobz
  • 6,082 posts
  • Army Name:Feeldmarshell Bosnik's Sneeky Speshul Forciz
The pictures are working fine for me, too. Very fine blog, Aga :thumbs And I've learned something alread: That there is such a thing as "resin prep" - I always use water and soap :blush
Red Sands' sniperz on patrol

1. Read da rules of the board. They can be found here: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=18570 If there is something that you don't understand, ask on this post or PM a member of the HQ.

2. Read what each forum is used for. This can be found here: http://www.the-waaag...p?showtopic=139

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
To be honest, I think Resin Prep and "Goo Gone" are the same material in different packages... They're both citrus cleaners, and I've seen both in hobby shops... I guess I can read the packages closely the next time I'm in to buy some... I used the last of my resin prep to do all the pieces you see here... ...and I will need more if I'm to do Bolt-on Big Shootas... (plus I have a Grey Knights Mk IV Dread that needs to be done too... but I won't say that too loudly :blush)
______Agatheron \_______

OrkSlugga

OrkSlugga

Runtherd

• Grotz
  • 318 posts
  • Army Name:Utz Waaaghcoms Ladz
Just use a washing up liquid, it does the same thing for half the price, all you need to do is get some warm soapy water and give it a swill then dry it/let it dry off.
Waaaagh da grey beakies, da best grey beakie site around.

Wez is proppa wez red n yelowz lootas datz means we az da brainz and da lootyness but wez still az ard az da goffs, bluz if for da little 'uns wez iz RED N YELLOWZ.

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,164 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)
Superb so far, Agatheron. Nice clear pics, and you clearly know what you're doing. Keep it up, dude! :cheers BTW - I must say, the pieces look well cast. Now I am tempted to get one of these things myself...
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

Me not Weedy

Me not Weedy

Weedy

• Deathskullz
  • 2,240 posts
  • Army Name:Not Weedy's Lootin Gitz

Superb so far, Agatheron. Nice clear pics, and you clearly know what you're doing. Keep it up, dude! :cheers

BTW - I must say, the pieces look well cast. Now I am tempted to get one of these things myself...

I really don't like the overall look of that model... I LOVE what Nightserpent did with his, but the stock model just doesn't do anything for me.

@Agatheron- I see you are just a show off. In the pic with your dremel I see that you just "coincidentally" have your Golden Demon trophy over your shoulder ;)

Looking great so far, BTW. I had no idea that you had to prep the resin like that. Very informative blog!
Sometimes when I'm alone I pretend I'm a squig...
-silly buck toofed git

Whining aimlessly is totally my hobby.
-silly buck toofed git

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
MNW: You're the first person beyond my brother to noticed the GD in the background. ;) To be honest, I had forgotten that it was there until others pointed it out. However, I must defer to my colleague Nightserpent, who not only also has won a Golden Daemon, but did so in a more competitive category AND got honorable mentions for his 'Ard Boyz. Nice to see them in the dwarf... :)
______Agatheron \_______

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
Okay... several entries from yesterday... so here goes:

Now that everything was dried off, all vents cleaned, it was time to build. I spent my modelling time actually assembling this beastie, and kept a photo diary... I'll do this in a few stages so each entry isn't overloaded with pics.

Building the Tracks

Remember how the side tracks looked from pre-cleaning? I'll be using the labelled bits from earlier in this thread to talk about how it came together.

In assembling the tracks, I first took the return rollers, and glued them down. They have little nubs that fit onto circles in the centre of the the inner hull plate. In one case, they didn't quite fit, so I clipped off one of the nubs and glued it on top of where it was supposed to go. It's in a very inaccessible part of the model, so nobody will be able to notice... (I'm not quite sure if I can even get a paint brush back there... ;) But that's for another topic)...

I then took the top track piece and fit it down on top of the return rollers, once the fit was confirmed, I began to glue... and the gluing wouldn't stop... ;) I glued the road wheels onto the front and back of the suspension sets, and glued them down...

I then glued on the drive and idler wheels for both sides, matching it up with the top track... and then I remembered my camera:

Posted Image

Now... all that I would need to do is simply glue on the next pieces of track, and away I'd go... right?

...wrong...

Funny thing about resin is that it is somewhat brittle... and when it came to me, the tracks were not shaped properly to fit around the wheels... This really isn't an issue, but it requires a few extra steps.

First things first.... Fill a sink with hot water... I mean burn-your-hands kinda hot... too hot to actually stick your hand in the water kinda hot... scalding hot... boiling is optional... but pretty close... while it's filling up... toss the track bits into the water...

Posted Image

Once that's done... let the bits sit in the sink, push down the bits to make sure they sit under the hot water... Instructions say for about a minute... I gave it about 2...

Posted Image

While it was under there, I tossed in the undercarriage support piece, because it was a bit bent too :)

The hard part was fishing those pieces of track out of the sink. Because I didn't want to risk having the pieces go down the drain by pulling the plug, I fished them out by hand... but... remember how I said about how hot this water was?? :blush ouch.

However, once I got them out of the water, these resin bits were now nicely flexible. I had to work with them quickly before they cooled off again. I don't have pics of this in progress... but here's something I learned:

---> It's a good idea to build tracks from front to back, rather than in reverse. Why? Because since the motion is forward, the tracks aren't likely to show slack towards the front of the vehicle... if anything it's towards the back. I learned this the hard way... the tracks on the right side of the vehicle look a titch loose towards the front... but... lesson learned.

Here's the assembled tracks:

Posted Image

Now for a new entry...
______Agatheron \_______

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
Remember what I said that I just couldn't stop gluing? I was waiting for Soylent Bob to come over, and he hadn't arrived after building the tracks...

So... on I went...

Assembling the rest of the hull was very easy. Glue one set of tracks to one side of the main hull... it's pretty obvious where they go... then take the hull undercarriage piece and glue it into place on the same hull. I was resting the model on the tracks themselves... Once the glue was dry, I took the second track assembly and glued it together... Basic hull done... Now it's starting to look like something:

Posted Image

Here's a pic of the undercarriage:

Posted Image

Next was to glue the cab onto the front of the wagon...

Posted Image

Now for the engine and Dethroller.

Assembling the engine is pretty straightforward, but perhaps needs a bit of finesse.
  • First, glue the exhause pipes to its slot in the back of the hull. It should be pretty obvious where it goes... and will sit level with the undercarriage piece.
  • Next, glue the engine itself to the hull. Again, it's pretty straightforward as to how it fits.
  • Then glue the engine pipes to where they attach to the engine, and where they fit into the exhaust box. (I'm assuming that anyone building this will have pre-fit the pieces to see how they go together)
  • It make take a bit of fiddling to make sure everything lines up, but it should fit without too many difficulties.
  • Lastly, glue the exhaust pipes onto the exhaust box. There's a "rail" of sorts on each pipe that attaches nicely to the back of the main hull... giving these things a bit more stability.
  • Edit: Oh yeah.. don't forget the air-filter... Probably the smallest piece on the superstructure of this beastie... (not counting the big shootas)
I also glued together the Dethroller, and test fit it onto the front for this pic... now I'm getting a feel for how large this model is. Each of those small squares underneath it is one square centimetre:

Posted Image
______Agatheron \_______

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
I assembled the side armour plates next... but was careful NOT to glue them into place... Primarily because I will need access to places with a brush when painting. In some respects, I've almost gone too far with what I've already done for decent painting... but whatever... this is fun to build, and it comes together fast...

I slid on the armoured top for the cab (I traded Bob for the Battlefortress armoured cab, rather than just the roll cage), and took this pic. I decided that the armour walls that surround the front part of the deck were just too small... The parallellogram shows the overall lines of the model. I want to add more, but don't want to break it up...

Posted Image

Keep in mind, these side armour plates are glued together, but are NOT glued down to the model...

Shortly after this, SB showed up... so I started talking more on what I had done... We talked about armouring up the front a bit more, and perhaps guarding the tracks a bit. In the end though, I wanted those tracks on display, but decided to go ahead with giving some more protection to the occupants... which of course, is a secondary concern to providing a place to mount bolt on big shootas... :)

Here's where things stand... using plasticard for the extra armoured walls that definitley need more developing...

Posted Image

The zzap gun is not glued down, nor are the side armour bits or the armoured top for the cab... However, I have a good feel for how this brute is going to look...
______Agatheron \_______

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
Alert!: It seems my account isn't designed for the traffic on this site... I've gotten a message saying that too many people are looking at my pics... :crybaby I'll try to get things straightened out quickly. Edit: Got it straightened out... these pics are now hosted by the Waaagh itself...

Edited by Agatheron, 01 September 2004 - 12:06 PM.

______Agatheron \_______

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
I think that swapping for the armoured cab was a smart choice, as I always thought that the drivers were waaay too underprotected on the stock model to represent AV13- I mean, even a rhino has more protection!