Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Very Goffik's quest for a Waaagh!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts
Hello, Waaagh'ers!

Er...

Oi, GITZ!

I've started this thread to showcase my work on painting an Ork army for a buddy of mine. Despite Orks being my favorite 40k race (the very first GW product I ever saw was Gorkamorka) I've never actually painted one before. That changes now!

In an effort to kill two birds with one stone, I made a step by step guide on how to simply paint an ork for my 12 year old cousin. He had been asking if I could show him a thing or two, and with him being all the way in NC (I'm in IL) a pictured guide seemed the simplest way.

Anyway, less talkin' more KRUMPIN'! :choppa

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

I wanted to keep the guide simple, yet show my cousin firsthand how simple painting can be when you use washes to do the grunt work for you. Hopefully he'll find it useful.

In any case, expect to hear back from me when I have more orks finished and ready to show off.

And remember, Goffs rule. :thumbs

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,046 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAAAGGGHHHH! O'da Red Orks!
Nice paint job!
Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

Nice paint job!

Thanks! I was pretty happy with it considering it was my very first ork. Heres a shot with some better lighting, I suck at taking photographs!

Posted Image

Anyway, I got done with sprue snipping. Next up is mould line removal ( :puke )

To Do:

17 Shoota 'Ard Boyz
2 Big Shoota 'Ard Boyz
1 'Ard Boy Nob

1 Big Mek w/ KFF

That should be enough to get me started!

Dakka dakka dakka! :dakka

ridin_shotgun

ridin_shotgun

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 562 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krump Karnival Klan
Nice pant job man, very cool, it's nice cartoony colours. You pulled off the orange much better than anyone I know and have seen. Shotgun
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan da uvvaz.

Gavvin

Gavvin

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts
  • Army Name:Name?
Well done! I might have to give your method a try when i start to paint again, as I am never happy with my results.

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 535 posts
This is your first ork? Two green thumbs up, you got yourself a very good looking first boy and an excellent how-to guide! If I may, here's two experiments you can try and see if you like the results/think they're an improvement. -Instead of white, use the more beigeish 'bleached bone' (or whatever it's called nowadays) for the teef, it gives a slightly more natural look than full white, don't hesitate to put some wash near the gums, for boys that don't brush their teef every day. Tusks look good with a touch of brownish near the base. -For the skin, I use a medium green basecoat, then highlight all muscles with a lighter green, then wash everything to blend the colors in. Some folks will wash second and use the lighter green highlight next. The effect is to make the muscles 'bulge' a little more than your one-green method uses. Try it, you may like the result and the one thing you can improve most noticably on your boy happens to be the skin. Of course that's just the humble opinion of the spiders in my brain. Sometimes they're even right, which kinda scares me.
Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

This is your first ork? Two green thumbs up, you got yourself a very good looking first boy and an excellent how-to guide!

If I may, here's two experiments you can try and see if you like the results/think they're an improvement.
-Instead of white, use the more beigeish 'bleached bone' (or whatever it's called nowadays) for the teef, it gives a slightly more natural look than full white, don't hesitate to put some wash near the gums, for boys that don't brush their teef every day. Tusks look good with a touch of brownish near the base.
-For the skin, I use a medium green basecoat, then highlight all muscles with a lighter green, then wash everything to blend the colors in. Some folks will wash second and use the lighter green highlight next. The effect is to make the muscles 'bulge' a little more than your one-green method uses. Try it, you may like the result and the one thing you can improve most noticably on your boy happens to be the skin. Of course that's just the humble opinion of the spiders in my brain.

Sometimes they're even right, which kinda scares me.

Your brain-spiders are on target, ya git! :thumbs

I'm with ya on the skin, I think that the shade turned out too olive and weedy. Still, a paintjob is a paintjob so I'm willing to let it slide as a test model. In the future I plan to try a darker more robust green shade as you described.

I'm equally in agreement on the teeth, I wasn't super thrilled with how those turned out either. I'm sure it'll come to me, though.

Basically, there is always room for improvement.

On to progress:

Posted Image

Boys all sorted and awaiting mould line removal (I don't WANNA! :crybaby )

Posted Image

My Ork faces down against some sort of scavvie and his mangy beast!

Posted Image

The mutant guy was previously a star wars minis. I converted him up for use in Necromunda.

Posted Image

My future Big Mek looks over my current gubbins pile. Most of the mechanical stuff was from old Mechwarrior clix figures. The Big Mek is an Ork boy torso, Star Wars droid legs, a Mechwarrior mechanical grabber, and some random sprue/plasticard. I plan to deck him out fully with wires, tubing and pouches as I decide exactly how I want him to look.

Posted Image

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I wound up with more torsos/arms/heads than legs. Unwilling to waste anything, I dug in to my bits box and pulled out some old stout looking Star Wars minis. A snip of the clippers, some greenstuff and voila: Ork legs! I'm sure they'll look decent enough when they are painted up nicely

Anyway, updates to follow. Gotta file mould lines and prep bases

(I finish infantry bases before I glue on models. Is that weird?)

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts
Woops! Double post. Damn you, internet!

ridin_shotgun

ridin_shotgun

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 562 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krump Karnival Klan
NOOOO, don't change your green, PLEASE! I really like it, it's nice and cartoony, also, I don't think that a darker green will go with that orangey colour. Shotgun
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan da uvvaz.

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

NOOOO, don't change your green, PLEASE! I really like it, it's nice and cartoony, also, I don't think that a darker green will go with that orangey colour.

Shotgun

I like to experiment. I'm satisfied with the current shade but I am also eager to try deeper greens for nobs/bosses and potentially other mobs.

In any case, updates! I finished flocking my bases, and now that the glue is dry they are free to be painted and have static grass stuck on. Also:

Posted Image

In order turn my boys in to an ard boyz mob I need some extra shoulder armor. Insta Mold to the rescue! I made a simple press mold of the wartrukk chassis and used GS to form crude sheet metal textures. This will help me bulk out the armor on my boyz, hopefully! :choppa

Dont Press Dat

Dont Press Dat

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 96 posts
That's a great idea VG, I'm going to keep that in the memory bank for if I ever want to upgrade my boyz.
- DPD

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

That's a great idea VG, I'm going to keep that in the memory bank for if I ever want to upgrade my boyz.

Thanks, hopefully it works out in the end. I'll post a finished boy for the final judgement. Even if the shoulder armor is 'eh' the Insta Mold has a thousand and one uses otherwise. Well worth 10 bucks.

Posted Image

Meanwhile, I'm at that fun time when you've spent a lot of time painting yet nothing feels close to finished. Eye of the tiger, Goffik. Eye of the tiger! :sowhat

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts
More progress on my future Ard Boy Shoota mob. I'm gonna call them "Da Kannonz" and maybe give them a klubhouse piece of terrain bedecked with bulletholes, shell casings, and miraculously pristine targets. They'll be one of the richer mobs in the warband, being able to afford their 'Eavy Armor and all the ammo they use for their shootas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit:

Insta Mold is probably my favorite new toy. Check it out

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a finished 'Ard Boy with his armor on. The left plate is a standard GW plate, the right is the greenstuff wartrukk chassis. I think it turned out ok. I hope that people will recognize these Boyz as 'Ard Boyz at first glance. Maybe I should consider adding on more plates like for the groin or back.

Harkon Greywolf

Harkon Greywolf

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,243 posts
I found the addition of the plastic "iron gob" to all 'Ard boys made the difference for all my minis! Nice job so far. HG

Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 81 posts
REally like the shoulder pads i think i might try that. Gotta say im getting loads of ideas from the great WAAAAGH! Ill keep watching!
The only good 'ooman is a dead 'ooman. An' da only fing better than a dead 'ooman'z a dyin' 'ooman who tell you where ter find 'is mates.

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

REally like the shoulder pads i think i might try that.

Gotta say im getting loads of ideas from the great WAAAAGH!

Ill keep watching!

Da Waaagh! is, and always will be, DA BEST ORK FORUM. Krump anyone 'oo says uvverwise. :choppa

Anyway, I was feeling victorious from my previous bout of painting and decided to treat myself to a break from mould line filing and priming.

I'm tired of posting Orks against a plain white backdrop... so its time to make some terrain! :yes

Posted Image

This is my very first go creating terrain of any kind. The stucco mix is too thick, but once it dries I'll sand away the excess and clean it up slightly. Once thats done I can go nuts with 'orkifying' the building with scrap metal, grafitti, and bullet holes. Here is how I'm roughly imagining it.

Posted Image

You'll also notice the blue foam ork down to the left. He is my current mockup for scratchbuilding Meganobs. I figure I can use blue foam as a base to build off of with plastruct tubing and styrene sheets. Also Insta Mold pressing some techno things to stick all over.

The future is green!

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts
Posted Image

Now that my stucco skimcoat is dry, I noticed that it didn't adhere very well. There were large cracks in areas that seemed to betray the scale look I wanted. Concrete to the rescue! I rubbed a skimcoat of concrete patcher to smooth out the more shoddy looking patches of stucco.

I also smooshed concrete under the building foundation to both fill gaps and give support. This building is made of styrofoam, tape, a little elmers glue and some nails BUT the stucco alone gave the building a lot of structure. I'm sure the concrete will only further toughen it up.

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts
More work on my Ork terrain :yes

At first, I thought this building would be some sort of hut for the Boyz. As it came together though I felt it was too unimposing to be something proppa and Orky. To gather my thoughts I rigged up some tiny little grot dwellings from styrofoam and it hit me: turn this building in to the Runtherd Hut and have it preside over a town of grot buildings like a sort of mayor!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Runtherd Hut is coming together nicely I think. I used the embossing rivet method a buddy linked me . I also hand cut an Ork glyph for 'Runtherder' to hang above the door, since glyphs make everything more Orky. Expect lots of graffiti and checkers when it comes time to paint :biggrin

Here is the earliest stages of "Runtsville"

Posted Image

Since I plan to make this terrain specifically desert themed, I had the buildings arranged around a water pump.

Here is a detail shot of whats going to be going on in the kennel behind the slophouse

Posted Image

Terrain is fun to make. I've never really given it an honest effort before and I regret that. Now at least I'm being productive in between avoiding mould line removal duty.

spevna

spevna

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts
  • Army Name:P.V.C
I am going to nick your terrain ideas for my Ork board.

Very Goffik

Very Goffik

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 42 posts

I am going to nick your terrain ideas for my Ork board.

Loot away! If you have any questions about materials or anything just let me know

Anyway, progress continues on Runtsville. Its much easier now that I've got the process for construction nailed down.

Posted Image