IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some Ork Shoota Boyz, A slow-burn work in progress.
Fox Box
post Nov 28 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Grot Orderly

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 12,710

I had some old Ork boyz with sluggas and choppas painted many moons ago. If I've read things correctly that weapon set is falling out of favour in 6th Ed. so time to change things up!
I've got two shoota boyz from playing with inks, why not continue the trend?

I've built shoota boyz before (although it was years ago) so I was kinda bored of the handful of designs that exist. So to combat this I'm mixing it up and converting them:

Also they're all going to have headwear of some sort, even if I have to invent some new ones.

Magazine switch, basic ejection port sculpt, dental tape around the arms, chamber pot on the bonce. Oh and the mouth was hollowed out and rebuilt because I never liked that head with the squiffy teeth.

Minor helmet modification but otherwise pretty standard. The shoota he's holding didn't exist back in the day.

Warbiker head, bayonet. Two things that didn't exist back then either.

Bullets from one of the inked lads and a GI helmet (complete with playing card, of course).

Warbiker torso, spare magazine (woo, new!), Puppet's War head (arrived broken and as such couldn't sell it). The shoota is made from a slugga with a barrel replacement and some dental tape.

The boyz from the other topic. I'm planning on adding more guys as I go along. Next up there's an 'Eavy Shoota (erm, Big Shoota, sorry! Gorkamorka naming sticks with you!).

--------------------
Fox Box

UK purveyors of the finest in greenskin bitz.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mik McMok the Me...
post Nov 29 2012, 04:17 AM
Post #2

Flash Git

Member No.: 11,796

Love the chamber pot helmet and the sombrero.

--------------------
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

+Quote Post
eddie the troll
post Nov 29 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Da Mole

Member No.: 613

Nice start, interesting with the dental tape, how does that take paint.

You've also sold me on the style for a new mob of boyz

--------------------
the voices in my head sound better as a choir

War isn't about who's right... war is about who's left...

Sumus ubi Sumus

+Quote Post
Warboss Mick
post Nov 29 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #4

Flash Git

Member No.: 13,249

Very nice conversions so far. Looking forward to see more thumbs.gif .

--------------------
Warboss Mick's WAAAGH! : http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51831 (Started assembling Rebel Grots / Gretchin, Big picture's . Update 19-05-2013)

+Quote Post
Mik McMok the Me...
post Nov 29 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Flash Git

Member No.: 11,796

QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Nov 29 2012, 01:24 PM) *
Nice start, interesting with the dental tape, how does that take paint.

You've also sold me on the style for a new mob of boyz

I've used the papery sports surgical tape before and it is excellent for painting over and filling in large holes that would cost an arm and a leg with green stuff.

--------------------
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

+Quote Post
Fox Box
post Dec 28 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #6

Grot Orderly

Member No.: 12,710

I've got a few more shoota boyz in various states of readiness but nothing to show you guys yet. However I felt that when it comes to shoota boyz, well, they've got shootas, that's what they do and there's no point in diversifying. So why not add three big shootas?

I've got some from the plastic set kicking around, sure, by why use them when I could convert some instead?

First off we've got my favourite, currently only named "Da Kraftsman":

The reticule is cut from a warbike, the barrel is wrapped in dental tape, and the chain was sculpted by Sanity Lost. I'm not quite sure what happened to his foot, I only noticed it when I came to take photos!

Next up, the one with the Beta C-Mag.

He continues my theme of silly hats, as you can see, although I wish I could paint news print. Alas I'm just not very good at painting. Magazine and cocking handle aside his weapon is scratchbuilt, nothing fancy there.

Lastly there's Kobb:

He's a re-build of a model my younger self put together after seeing it in the 3rd Ed. Ork codex. I'm much more pleased with this version. He reminds me of Animal Mother from Full Metal Jacket and so it seemed only appropriate to give him a hat based on another character Adam Baldwin is well known for. I can see a few odd paint smudges and some places where it's worn away from me picking him up. I didn't notice these until I looked at the photos so they're not all that noticeable when he's on the table. It'd be nice to fix them though.

--------------------
Fox Box

UK purveyors of the finest in greenskin bitz.

+Quote Post
Warboss Mick
post Dec 28 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #7

Flash Git

Member No.: 13,249

Great, exactly the idea i had for the shoota boys i am making soon pphhtork.gif . Well done, looking forward to see more cheers.gif .

--------------------
Warboss Mick's WAAAGH! : http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51831 (Started assembling Rebel Grots / Gretchin, Big picture's . Update 19-05-2013)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 04:26 PM