IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ork Allies in 6th!, What's your conversion project gonna be?
Grimskul25
post Jun 28 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #81

Yoof

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 11,167

I'm an orky purist so I look forward to having 3 Big Mek SAG's all lined up together to unleash some AP2 infantry-slaying to tank busting hell on me enemies!

That plus extra looted tanks for a dakka army wouldn't hurt. pphhtork.gif

--------------------
My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dribble Joy
post Jun 28 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #82

Phobiak
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 2,391

We're still not sure if you can ally with yourself to gain extra slots. It makes sense, but there has been no confirmation that you can (unless I've missed it).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grimskul25
post Jun 28 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #83

Yoof

Member No.: 11,167

That'd be a shame if we couldn't but I could understand why you couldn't for certain balance reasons. Still, it seems to make a lot of sense for orks to ally with one another from different warbands, that being a large basis of a WAAAGH! and all.

--------------------
My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

+Quote Post
Lost Boyz
post Jun 28 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #84

squig attack arm

Member No.: 9,023

I am stoked about a couple/three 'broadside' Magagnobz, grot 'Firewarriors' with good guns on an objective, and a Big Mek in a jetpack suit bristling with missiles.

It's still Orky (you have hooked up with a freelance heavy weapons Mek who has looted the fish'ead)- but you get AT, jump-pack and 30" str5 shooting. Who'd have ever thought you would willingly take FWs?

How many points is something like that? I better check my son's fish'ead codex out tonight...

+Quote Post
Dribble Joy
post Jun 28 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #85

Phobiak
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 2,391

At minimum, about 320 points for a basic suit, 6 FWs and three bare broadsides.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muskie
post Jun 28 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #86

Yoof

Member No.: 6,828

My modest Chaos beakie army started out as allies to my Orks in the black codex days of second edition. I haven't fielded a proper ork army since 2nd edition, though I own the rules and many painted models. The allies may finally get me to paint more than just one off orks. I've painted plenty of goblins for WFB even though I never finish my all goblin army off.

I will probably be on the other side of the fence and field ork allies with CSM but in truth I'm looking more forward to the new CSM codex and having Plaguebearers and Nurglings once again in my army. I think 'competitive' players will field a lot of allied special characters, particularly those that unlock stuff as troops. The Ork dex has both Big Meks and Warbosses unlock stuff by default so I can field a lot of different things as allies already.

I own a lot of unpainted OOP ork stuff. So I will paint some of it, I also plan to 'improve' at least a little some of my old veteran paint jobs, I also want to paint some of the new Ork plastic kits and forgeworld goodies. I think that is the coolest reason to use allies, I own the Dark panzee dex, but I just can't start a new army I paint too slow, but even I could paint 11 models which is basically what 1 HQ and a troop squad is. Sometimes it is six or less models. Of course I'll probably take on some crazy project again at some point in the future. I want to do some big squads. The biggest painted Ork squad I have is only 10+ models, less than 20. I have squads of Plaguemarines bigger than that. I do have huge blocks of fantasy goblins and plaguebearers.

I can even insert pictures. I totally could field a legal 1500 point army now with allies. I must have 1500 points of painted orks, they just are extremely sub-optimal.

Horde of Plaguebearers with Banners by Muskie McKay, on Flickr

Diseased Sons Army by Muskie McKay, on Flickr

Night Goblin Archer Horde by Muskie McKay, on Flickr

I've painted a lot of green models. cheers.gif

--------------------
My more famous army is the Diseased Sons. My new hobby blog has pics of green skins old and new if you dig a little.

+Quote Post
Lost Boyz
post Jun 28 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #87

squig attack arm

Member No.: 9,023

Looks great. Unleash it upon an unexpecting world.

I think the allies stuff interests me because - who doesn't at least dabble in another army? I have a real nice t a u killteam (modelled after Apocalypse Now characters) be fun to mix it in now and then...

(My ultra army is not invited, however)

I have heard a couple of my local gamebuds refer to 6th as a return to some of the good stuff in second edition...

+Quote Post
Dregdakka
post Jun 29 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #88

Attack Squig

Member No.: 8,523

Considering to do a 'umie force, painted as traitor legions. It will tie in with my ork force that seems to move over from a mainly Goff force, to a Blood Axe band.

--------------------
Going trough my Ork Horde I found...

100+ slugga boyz, 40+ shoota boys, 12 warbikers, 6 deffkoptas, 6 trukks, 3 bws, 11 killakans, 3 deffdreds, 12 lootas, 12 burnas, 15 nobs, 4 mega nobs, a stompa?! (when did I buy this?!), 4 groot tanks, fw Supacanon, fw kommandoz, 30+ russian style groots, a looted shadowsword, and about 4 crates of bitz, plasticard, stuff, and halfbuilt stuff... WHEN DID IT BECOME SO MUCH!!!

+Quote Post
Dakkafang Dreggr...
post Jun 29 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #89

Rutted Gob Busta

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 12,342

I'm planning on having my detachment of crazy orkbots, created by my big meks.

Orkbot Boss (tin'ead lord)
Orkbots w/ custom zaap guns (Immortals with tesla)

And maybe a monolith that looks like a stompa / big orkbot.

I run various big meks layouts for HQ's and lots of dredds and Kanz, so this will be a fun side detachment that fits my army

-Dakkafang

--------------------
"Neva trust a loota. Neva lets da gitz neer ya stuff eva"
"If ya kan't beet itz. Getz moor Deff Dreds"

-Dakkafang Dreggrim

+Quote Post
nkelsch
post Jun 29 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #90

Deliriak

Member No.: 8,097

It sounds like 2000+ battles can take two force orgs of the same army. Allies cannot be from your own army.

So 0-1999 = 1 force org, 1 ally
2000+ = 2 force org, 2 ally

They have already been talking about how tourneys will begin a 1999+1over format to basically prevent double force-org armies.

--------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Check out all my orks!: Waaagh 'Az-ard
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

+Quote Post
Total AnOrky
post Jun 29 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #91

Explosive Kranium

Member No.: 2,760

Well I really hope to play as a purist Ork, and I was excited about the possibility of just allying with more Orks.....but that sounds like it has been nixed. So here are some fun options.

Grot conscripts with a Commissar Ork this would be a huge stubborn mob of grots that just won't die!

Tankbustas played as Long Fangs! Split fire - and plenty of Anti Tank

I also loved the suggestion of a Stompa as a Monolith and cyborks as Tin'Eadz.

Unfortunately, there will be so many combos that people will pull that will not be fun to go against. And so many that just don't make sense to me fluff wise, but oh well. Fortunately, we are Ork players and people expect us to come with cool conversions and wonky stuff. So this is a dream for Ork players as we now can model up all kinds of crazy stuff. When I first found this forum everyday was excitement as somebody was posting up a new looted russ / basilisk but since the new Ork dex essentially made looted wagons worthless (IMHO) that has somewhat dried up. Plus with great Stompa and Battlewagon models we saw fewer and fewer of those awesome creations. Well now I think we are about to see a regeneration as Ork players begin to go crazy! I welcome it and can't wait to see the madness! cheers.gif

+Quote Post
Dim_Reapa
post Jun 29 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #92

Ban Stikk Target
Group Icon

Group: Grot Rebelz
Member No.: 1,598

One thing that does worry me is something a friend pointed out, which is the high likelihood that an allied force is going to be far more effective than one that isn't. It does seem as though GW toyed with the bits about 2nd Ed that were good, and thought they worked (i.e. the Heretic Rulebook), then threw them all out and took the things about 2nd that, well, weren't good.

I can't help seeing Ward's part in both the allies and Psykers updates, as they are both pandering to his own rubbish.

It does concern me, though. Although I don't think it is possible to completely hate the Allies System, I think it extremely likely that it will contribute to the rather speedy breaking of the edition: the establishment of new and broken exploits, and the same bullcrap we had to put up with in 5th Ed, only a million times worse.

It is going to create a number of issues, which I touched upon earlier. It is either going to mean that the amount of work the "writing" staff do is going to be horrendously minimal, or they, by nature of this system have made it far more difficult than it needed to be; meaning that there isn't even the slightest chance of a well-balanced system. The obvious cheese stuff are going to pop up in more armies, and what is worse, is what it is going to do to the many units in Codices that aren't cheesy.

In previous editions, an argument could be made against cross-codex pricing comparisons. Now though, GW have made it impossible to avoid. As much as Gretchin are still one of the Orks' best and most unsung units, they now have to compete with the merely one point more Conscripts and two points more Guardsmen. I've already read numerous people suggesting doing this with their gretchin. I am somewhat understanding, but also pretty resistant. However the problem is that the brilliant pricing of the Gretchin is no longer as great when one actually has the option of taking Imps to represent them.

The only disadvantage is that they can only really do the basic role that Gretchin can do effectively (and that is Objective Sitting, which Gretchin do on a much cheaper budget anyway). Providing a screen is something I-Grots will be able to do, but will not be as effective, unless, as I presume will happen, that 99% of the people who use allies conveniently forget to apply the negative effects (such as rolling a D6 before using a unit within 6" or whatever it is of an Ork unit), thus making the Allies system more shallow than a dried up puddle, and essentially allowing cheese to occur with a rather silly and not very thoroughly thought through set of rules (again, reads more and more like Ward's hand in it).

6th Edition seems to be almost wholly pandering to Ward's "strengths", so for that reason I take the opportunity to put it into a simple perspective. 5th Edition was Gimmickhammer. Now we're in the grip of Warhammer Wardithousand.

Again, I reiterate people: your enthusiasm does you credit, but I urge you all to think carefully about whether or not to ally, and to make sure within your own mind that you wont regret it later. Because many of you probably will.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaptin Kograt Ja...
post Jun 29 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #93

Rutted Gob Busta

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 13,173

I think, perhaps more than other things in life, the pleasure you get out of Warhammer depends on who your playing with. I think if someone does something silly like Orks and fish'ead for no reason other than he gets better fire power out of it, your permitted to give him a funny look, finish your game (or not) and never play him again. But this has all been said before, and you'll know these guys with their unpainted models and the like.

Allies has the potential to be really cool though. fish'ead with Gue'la forces, Ork Free booter mercs, Renegade (but not chaos) beakies, chaos guardsmen and Kroot! Wonderful Kroot for all! Kroot as far as the eye can see!

I'm not planning to run allies, but I am thinking about it as a way to represent my unusual Klans unusual backstory, possibly with Imps or Kroot, but We'll see smilingOrk.gif

--------------------
"Ooniverse ain't a closed system. Change is possible, 'umie."

+Quote Post
MaddaMek
post Jun 29 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #94

Gargant Krew
Group Icon

Group: Deathskullz
Member No.: 5,783

Saw the rules, it appears that it would be Gimmickhammer 2.0.

Note that Rulebook<Codex<FAQ, so a lot of things can change but... yeah, we pretty much can see what's going on there.

Anyway, here are "rumors" about Orks allies.

First of all, You can have Standard FoC AND Ally FoC and Fortification (pick one of those per army (ie. FoC+Ally) from four available, Bastion is meh, Aegis walls are cheap (Lascannon and Autocannon turret is AA and prevent nearby DS), Landing pad is BS [You can't destruct it, tho it don't have weapons] and Fortress... well, people dumb enough to use it "seriously" probably are not capable of assembling it anyway, rest is beer and pretzels)

Ally FoC: 1 HQ, 1-2 Troops, 0-1 Elites, 0-1 Fast, 0-1 Heavy

Brother in arms (Bros):
Work like one army (get bonuses, AoE, Warlord traits, IC can join units) EXCEPT they can't ride in their buddy rides (so no Warboss in Stormraven).

Allies of convenience (Buddies):
Work like two, separate armies that can't buff themselves (not sure if KFF work on them since it's AoE, probably don't tho), but no problems other than that.

Desperate Allies (Bastards):
Same as Buds, except allies don't score and follow additional rule ("One eye open"): each Ally unit within 6" from Your main army (that probably exclude Fortification since buildings are "Third FoC") roll d6, on 1 they do nothing.
Sneaky bastards.

Come to Apocalypse, but not before:
No alliance.

This is how things work for Orks, btw it goes both ways (ie. for Orks as main army and someone ally):

Bros:
None!

Buddies:
Chaos
Guard (YES-YES-YES!)
tin'eads (...wat?)
fish'ead

Bastards:
Daemons
Dark Angels
Dark panzee
panzee
Grey Knights
beakies
Space Wolves

Can't ally with:
Sisters of Battle
Nids (T^T)

Anyway, my view on alliances: I G or GTFO.

Seriously.
Infantry Platoons... yeah. Same with "Special Weapons Veterans" Command Squad. BTW Imperial ML are AA too so You don't need Hydras.
Vendettas win with any airplane in 1:1 combat (it's cheap as Dakkajet but have 3 BS4 TL Lascannons AND AV12. "Thunder Buddy Song" is now official anthem of Imperial Air Force when fighting our "Blue Thundas".) without taking a sweat. MAYBE Voidraven may compete with it, except it cost A LOT and even then it's AV11 with crap guns (2 Lance Lascannons, NOT TL).
Also Devildogs and Sentinels.
Heavy slot... just cram Manticore there.

Oh and do Yourself a favor and make Yourself nice Aegis Defense line (4xx2",4x5" walls). It is worth it.

--------------------
6th edition army test:
Can You shoot back at triple Heldrake, quad Scythe list?

Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

+Quote Post
Scoutfox
post Jun 29 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #95

Yoof

Member No.: 4,299

Dim, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I see allies as a really cool way for converters and hobbyist to add extremely neat and inspired units into their lists. I also see this as a perfect chance for WAAC d-bags to pull out the least fluffy/most broken combos they can find. As others have said though, don't play those guys and you should be fine. Only problem is anyone that likes to play in tourneys will have to deal with it. The big problem there is most armies/codexes are built with some kind of weakness, which allies can get rid of. Orks aren't known for ranged anti-tank capabilities, but some broadsides or hammerheads will round out the Ork lists and give them no weaknesses. Same goes the other way if playing fish'ead. I've always hated fire warriors and kroot are not great at holding objectives, but toss 30 shootas out there for little more than 12 firewarriors with upgrades, and know the fish'ead have resilient troops. It will make all the generals who use allies even, because no ones armies will have any weaknesses. Everyone will have good psykers, shooting, and cc units. All the armies will be the same, and GW will make more money as people buy up 'umie tanks.

I still plan on using allies every now and then because I love to convert and I think having Orkified fish'ead units would look awesome, and I can see any Mek worth his teef looting the crap out of fish'ead gear. I can't see straight up fish'ead fighting side by side with Orks, so I won't do that, but converted MANZ as broadsides with squig shield drones will look great.

+Quote Post
Dim_Reapa
post Jun 29 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #96

Ban Stikk Target
Group Icon

QUOTE (Scoutfox @ Jun 30 2012, 04:46 AM) *
I see allies as a really cool way for converters and hobbyist to add extremely neat and inspired units into their lists.

I think this is where we are all in agreement. I know I'm painting myself to be a rather large kill-joy, but don't get me wrong, I will be joining in with this quite enthusiastically. I am rather pleased that I can use the Allies system along with Guard to help represent my Rebel Grots, especially in order to help me put my rather massive collection of metal 2nd Ed Gretchin on the table.

Ultimately I am hoping (but not entirely optimistic) that this will play out much like WYSIWYG and that the applications of the Allies system will be met with more approval the more fluffy and/or awesome the allies look, especially if they are converted to fit into the primary faction. I hope that those who don't achieve these two things with much success are frowned upon, but as I've seen many gamers stopping short of engaging in a private activity with both hands over the gaming prospects offered, especially given, well, the shoddy nature of the entirety of 5th Edition and its horrendous rules writing (if you can even call it writing), to say I am pessimistic of such an outcome is as big an understatement as saying the Hundred Years War was essentially a Weekend Holiday in Bognor.

I also see this as a perfect chance for WAAC d-bags to pull out the least fluffy/most broken combos they can find. As others have said though, don't play those guys and you should be fine. Only problem is anyone that likes to play in tourneys will have to deal with it.

My concern is that the line between the sorts of WAAC d-bags and your average wargamer is rather slight. I'd be somewhat prepared to stick my neck out to suggest that a large proportion, perhaps even the majority of gamers will be out to make the most broken combos possible, thinking of the gaming benefits and not giving one remote hoot about the nature of the fluff. If I was saying this anywhere other than an Ork forum, I'd find even discussing the concept of converting and fluff theming mildly controversial. It just happens that this sort of thing appeals to Ork Players immensely.

As to Tourneys, I seldom attend them, for reasons that I doubtless do not need to go into. That said though, there's plenty of people out there "testing" Tournament lists in "casual" play. I do have some issue with the "Don't play those guys..." argument. Whilst sound advice, and a good point, there are flaws with it. Spotting one of these kinds of players coming isn't always easy, and it isn't exactly good form to ask everyone you play if they're a cheesy WAAC type before playing them. Hell, I've had the "Tournament Practice" gambit dropped on me slightly after deployment once or twice (although the Tournament Practice aspect was usually obvious before it was verbally confirmed).

Still, as I said in a previous post, I think I'm in agreement with most, if not everyone here, when I say that the ability to have all these options does outway almost all of the cons of this. That said, I don't think the possibilities offered, nor the enthusiasm of being able to ally should be undertaken without also considering the disadvantages, of which there are many now, and will be many, many more before 6th Edition is gone.

The big problem there is most armies/codexes are built with some kind of weakness, which allies can get rid of.

I would be tempted to argue that this is precisely the point. Those weaknesses are supposed to exist. The Allies system offers an easy way out, and thus those kinds of players who cannot master the nuances of a particular faction, can simply solve it with something else from another faction. Whilst I agree partly that Orks have limited ranged anti-tank, I have always suggested that the Orks countered for that with exceptional flexibility, which a pure-Ork army will still retain, but when the prospect of other units that can do the job better spring to mind, what point is there?

I also suspect that Ward GW will spend most of 6th Edition creating a Meta simply out of new Codices and how they work with or as allies. It'll probably fall down often to the usual suspects, and I must admit, I expect to find myself grasping angrily for my Dreadsock every time I hear or read the words "Grey Knights" and "Allies" in the same sentence, especially with Orks.

Still, I'm sure it worth at the very least seeing how the next year or so pans out for us, but I'm not optimistic. Giving Ward Codices to write was a bad enough idea, now he's got his fingers on the Cores, well, there just isn't enough vomit in the world...

All the armies will be the same, and GW will make more money as people buy up 'umie tanks.

I think the only part I agree with in this statement is the bit that says "and GW will make more money", which indeed I would argue is probably 99% of the entire thought process that went into the entire Allies System, with the remaining 1% being the stealing of ally rules from tournaments GWHQ has ran and the making of the Allies Table graphic.

As to armies being the same, well, apart from Nidz. They cannot ally with anyone, not even themselves, so they get less Force Orgs than everyone else, and we already know how well their recent Codex went down (it didn't), so I'm interested to see which model we will be seeing in the **Facepalming whilst holding the rulebook** meme conversion picture that'll be popping up at some point. My money is on a Genestealer, but I really would like to see a Hive Tyrant or Lictor doing it...

As to whether they'll be the same (apart from Nidz) remains to be seen. I for one am fully expecting Beakies to be so early in exploiting it that I'd keep an eye out for the first Codex, which almost certainly will be theirs, so we can watch how Ward will make his rubbish absolutely irresistable to everyone else.

Now, I would love to be wrong, but I honestly expect 6th Edition to be an exercise in stroking Ward's ego (and other parts of him), whilst paying an excessive cost for it. The way to tell is to see what he does with his Codices in this edition (which for him is business as usual, turned up to eleven), and after that it should probably be obvious.

Will it be fun? For most of you, most likely it will. I think I'll only relax, and start spending more than I currently am on GW (i.e. virtually nothing) only when I know Ward is in a separate post code when the Ork Codex is being written. But I fully expect he will write it himself, it'll suck in every way, and Kelly will have walked within the year. I really, really hope I am wrong on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drakon7
post Jun 30 2012, 01:38 AM
Post #97

'Ard Boy

Member No.: 12,478

I'm a little disappointed that we have Space Wolves as "bastards"(love the terms you picked btw). But I have already incorporated it into my 'Fluff'. See the reason they 'don't do jack on a 1' is because the wolves don't quite listen to Orks the way they would Space Wolves. SO they have to fight to control them. OR I can send my wolf calvary off on their own to attack things! CoolOrkDark.gif Alongside my Nob Bikers winkingOrk.gif

However... What does it mean 'they don't score' does that mean anything I kill with them doesn't count towards my total? Or does it mean they can't take points?

--------------------
Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

+Quote Post
Dim_Reapa
post Jun 30 2012, 01:49 AM
Post #98

Ban Stikk Target
Group Icon

QUOTE (Drakon7 @ Jun 30 2012, 07:38 AM) *
However... What does it mean 'they don't score' does that mean anything I kill with them doesn't count towards my total? Or does it mean they can't take points?

I presume it means they're not scoring units for things such as objectives, like vehicles and non-troop units were in 5th. I actually hope that's the case, because it'll be a nice balancing factor, and help allay some of my fears. I presume they can contest (which isn't as much of a disadvantage as many argue: I certainly think scoring units were somewhat overrated) but I think that makes sense, really. The allies would not be trusted with important tactical decisions, they're just there to help kill stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CannibalBob
post Jun 30 2012, 04:26 AM
Post #99

GuildBoss Skabnoze
Group Icon

Group: Blood Axez
Member No.: 1,146

Well, I have owned a Chaos beakie army since 2nd ed, so that is always a possibility for allies. But thats not really a project now is it?

As a die-hard Blood Axe it goes without saying that I should add some 'umies into the mix with a bit of 'umies. But I think it might be a whole lot of fun to add a contingent of looted fish'ead stuff. Orks or Grots piloting ramshackle battle-suits & that sort of thing. Also it might be fun to do some beakie allies as 'Ard boyz in piece-meal looted power-armor & vehicles.

So much fun opportunities for modelling to be had with allies!

--------------------
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Jun 30 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #100

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 175

QUOTE (Drakon7 @ Jun 30 2012, 02:38 PM) *

It just means they can't take objectives, as 'scoring units' is defined in the missions section. They also can't deny objectives.

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:54 PM