Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spacecat's crazy contrapshuns and occasional threat

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
I've decided to make a monthly 'threat' for the first time, I'll post my WIPs in this topic and I figure it's as good a time as any to showcase the crazy conversions I make for my army (rather than the occasional lil' topic) hopefully I'll inspire some of you guys and maybe get a laff here and there. :thumbs My personal schtick is trying to figure ways to make my units a little 'differently' from the norm, You'll see...

_Mek04.JPG _Prisoner07.jpg
Let me introduce my most interesting HQs (I also have a warboss, but he's nothing speshul). To the left is Big Mek 'Sparklugg da Unhinged' in a hoverpod, my first complex conversion. The pod is made from the rear part of a tin'ead doomsday cannon, add a 1:35 scale tank hatch on his helmet (notice the little hinges that gave his nickname) and a variety of gubbins. Yes that's a boat propeller at the back of his pod, good for a laff. :biggrin
On the right is my weirdboy, Prisoner #6. WIP for him is in this topic: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51409

_kommando03.jpg _stormboard02.jpg
Now I take pride in how different from the norm these guys are. The team on the left proves that Kommandos don't need to take themselves seriously. My orks wrote things on their crates that they think the enemy would want to bring into their bases - eventually I need to make a crate marked 'Girlz' for more laffs. The Stormboarderz on the right are my hoverskating stormboy-equivalents, I made a big topic about them here: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51279

Bargetrukk01.JPG _OldGrumpy06.JPG
My motor pool is nothing exceptional, after all we Orks make vehicles of almost anything, right? Haha. Still, 'Old Grumpy' on the right has a special place in my heart as he's my first looted wagon, and I just love the mean-looking cigar-chewing scowl. :love To the left is my most original trukk: A scratch-built Higgins boat that hovers thanks to fish'ead drones - complete with a generator and cables to overload them. (I really should make rocket engines to make it look faster)

Oh yeah, you'll notice most of my blood axes have a very weird camo pattern. Warboss Morkeye figured his boyz are already green, good in forest, so if the camo has tan for the desert, light gray for the cities and purple 'cuz purple is sneaky, he'd have a camo that works EVERYWHERE! So he ordered the tan-gray-purple mix used all over his Waaaagh! Story has it some rogue trader that hired them orks didn't argue the color pick - made them eminently recognizable on a busy field.

CnC Welcome, threat WIP pictures comin' up soon!
Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

Nork

Nork

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 189 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skavenga's
I love the alternate Kommandos, I really should make some :) On a side note, that cam pattern looks oddly similar to the Australian Defence Force's desert cams, except you went for stripes instead of jelly beans... no, i'm not joking at all.

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
I am going to enjoy watching this thread. Gotta admit though, I had a 'Benny Hill' theme sneaking into my head as I scrolled through it. Good work though!
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts

On a side note, that cam pattern looks oddly similar to the Australian Defence Force's desert cams, except you went for stripes instead of jelly beans... no, i'm not joking at all.

Color me surprised and throw me a face-eater squig! Them aussies are more proppa than I thought!

Aaanyway, time to start up the WIP for my Threat for June 2012!
I'm starting with a SAG Big Mek with a wacky concept: Much like my KFF Big Mek rides in a hoverpod, this guy will be on a walker or hover-pod (Haven't decided yet), and his SAG will be based on sound, so basically I want to make a music-manic ork bashing on his drum set on a wee mechanical platform, and a sort of scorpion-like tail at the back will hold the emitter array - which will involve a big loudspeaker. So this ork's gonna rock you like a hurricane! :lol

_MekSAG02.jpg
Here's my progress so far, I wackied-up his axe into a half-wrench-half hammer monstrosity that resembles my other big mek's tool, and yes he'll bang on the cymbal (that tank hatch I haven't attached yet) with a stikkbomb, why not? :)
Random thoughts: That new line engraver tool I bought really hits the spot for some detailing. Turns out this guy is pretty cramped on that platform, I probably won't be able to place a cymbal on the port side. I'm not good enough to really mek up his head, but I like how the goggles give him a slight Elton John look... And I'm wondering if I couldn't make his tongue longer with greenstuff and (dis)honor KISS. :P
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAAAGGGHHHH! O'da Red Orks!
waht did you use for the wrench end?
Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
Its the wrench from the Mek's Tools kit on the loota/burna kit mek
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

radegast6

radegast6

• Boyz
  • 542 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Skullcrasha WAGHH!!
I love your comandos !! the best commandos ever !!! truely the the best!!
Miniatures Conversion Blog

Mek shop orks buy here

ORKS DONT DO FACEBOOK BUT IF THEY WOULD...

apparently “mass produced plastic toys” are not protectable as “sculptures” or “works of artistic craftsmanship” under English law... hmm interesting

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
Thanks Radegast, I'm always happy to get a toofy smile or a chuckle here and there. :thumbs

Now, chopping the legs off black reach boyz for my kommandos means I have some torsos I can use for tank drivers and such, it happens that both my big meks are such torsos... Which means I gotta hide the fact he ain't got no legs! It's a bit tricky on the drummer mek since there's lot of visibility under the little drums. and my point is:

I built him a keyboard. No kidding, a keyboard, mostly intended to hide his legs on the side of the two little drums. I even practiced with my line engraver tool to carve the white keys apart.

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz
Those Kommandos are ace! :lol Do you mind if I loot the idea for some of my own in the future?
How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
Well, my kommandos are more popular than I thought. @Alienerd and everyone else who wants to loot my ideas, go ahead! I'm all for fun being spread all over, and I like to think of my designs as 'fun' :) _MekSAG03.jpg _MekSAG02.jpg Small update, just so you can see the keyboard on the 'Mek's eye view'. This model will be so cramped I have to alternate painting and building otherwise there's nooks and crannies I'll never be able to reach! And you can see the upcoming 'scorpion tail' that will hold the emitter. Now the drums I painted tan because that's the main color of my army but... I'm not sure... Do you guys think I should have the drums be another color and have the tan elsewhere? For the record I'll surround the flanks of the round platform in armor-teeth near the end of the building, don't want a simple flimsy metal disk now.

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Nice drumkit, always good to see some more rokkin' orks. :thumbs I'd paint the drumkit in some brighter colours so that it stands out more, at the moment the drumskins and metal bitz of the kit are too similar imho. Have you thought about adding a bell (there's a few on the fantasy command and skaven sprues) - you can never have enough cowbell! :biggrin
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
I think you're right Gaf-Naz, those drums deserve more color... :sowhat Now I unfortunately don't have anything else besides 40k orks and some tank kit gubbins, buuut just because it's you suggesting a cow bell, I'll try and scratch build one to hang somewhere on this guy. :yes _MekSAG04.jpg Now, I did some serious gubbins work, the emitter array/scorpion tail is 90% complete. (See? I promised I'd make it a big speaker!) Also made a battery with a spotlight for the shows, and a sort of rotary engine thingie that I'm very happy with considering I improvised and scratch-built it. Somehow those three gubbins will fit at the back, making this rig a very cramped and busy model. Fitting of a Big Mek! :lol

Kleiner Zorn

Kleiner Zorn

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,147 posts
a kommando with a crate called "Booze" would be a good idea too :D how did you make the paper crates ??

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
Well Kleiner, Booze is a good idea! I'll do that. Possibly also a second metal 'keg', marked Orkweiser. :cheers And those not-wood crates are cardboard, not paper. And I don't know anything that looks more like cardboard than... cardboard! :biggrin Know those boxes of boyz and trukks and other stuff we got? They got a nice grey slightly textured cardboard inside so I used that and white glue, I cut a pattern sort of like this, scored each line with a ballpoint pen where I had to fold (on the pictured side) - and I advice scoring it deep! It folds pretty badly at that size... Then a bit of white glue does the trick. I even cut up a bit of transparent tape to add to the whole 'cardboard box' impression. I wasn't happy with the gray color so I added one coat of a medium-dark tan to bring it more towards the yellowish color everyone is used to. TheBox.jpg

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
Forget Orkweiser, the beer brand of choice to write on a keg of Ork brew is definitely 'Orkeefe!' :lol
Jest asides, put a few hours on my SAG, I think I've clocked above 20 hours on this guy so far... But look at the details on this nutter! I managed to green stuff his tongue a bit longer, so with the black and white warpaint I got a good KISS homage. Notice the cow bell on a cable, because Gaf-Naz suggested it. hehehe. :thumbs
_MekSAG05.jpg
Starting tomorrow, I'm building the legs and small armor skirts/teeth to go around the circular part.

I'm still wishing I could improve my painting skills, if someone has specific tips for me to improve on the paint job on this guy, do tell please!

Kleiner Zorn

Kleiner Zorn

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,147 posts
hmmm try to add some more highlights to the hair ..... and maybe use a smaller brush abnd redo the camouflage effect...the edges look very "thick" add a wash of blue/green/teal to the brass parts so they look aged i did this to this badmoon glyph and was pretty surprised how easy it was...and it looked great saddsddasd.jpg Grot_Tank_6.jpg oh and maybe.... put him on a hovering plattform...so it doesnt seem awkward when you move him:D oh and i believe you painted his fingers brown...as if i remember right that arm wears a fingerless glove :D ( just check if he has fingernails :D)

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
@Kleiner: Thanks a lot for the painting tips, that hand is fixed, highlight in the hair is done (overdone even, I like it like that), verdigris in place on brassy bits... I haven't redone the camo because then I'd have to redo the wash - which would mean having to redo the tan - which is now too troublesome with the model glued, but you're absolutely right that I need to improve my camo-painting methods.
If anyone knows someone who is -good- at painting camo, please give me their name so I can beat and steal some talent outta them. :bang

I've considered the 'hoverpad' option, but opted on legs because the emitter gives the machine a bit of a scorpion vibe... Aaand I got a tin'ead friend who's working hard on a triarch stalker - I want to show him off a bit. :D So yeah, legs, and I had fun making a design that -somehow- fits on a legal-for-HQ 40mm base. Hehehe. The H-beams for legs give a nice scrapyard-tech feeling, don't they?
_MekSAGfinal.jpg
I proudly declare this Big Mek FINISHED!
If you're wondering, the glyphs at the front under the main drum mean 'Noise machine'. I'll be working on 9 stormboarders for the rest of the June threat (Am I the only guy not making a plane?) but in the meantime I got two requests for folks at large:

1-If you know someone that's good at painting camo, I'd love to chat them up to improve my technique.
2-I haven't figured a name for this Big Mek. Toss me your craziest ideas by PM! I dare ya! For fun, whoever has the funnest, coolest, craziest idea for his name gets to throw me some sort of dare that I'll try and build into a scratch-built model someday! (Bonus points if the name ends with the nickname 'The unbalanced') :lol

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
Well, any name ideas about my big mek was lost in the flurry of folks doing projects lately, hehe. Anyway, For my threat I still need to make 9 Stormboarders, here's three that are completed. stormboard03.jpg Left guy, hopper, was an experiment making scarves - I still need to work on that. Middle guy I -tried- to make as though jumping while folding his legs to have the skate sorta 'behind' him, big failure, ork legs and torso joints aren't flexible enough. Thankfully the handstand guy on the right raises the bar, nothing like a spine-defying stunt to make a model look -good-! :thumbs And for the record, I'm still looking for ideas on what name to give to my Big Mek just above, and looking for camo-painting tips. :)

Spacecat

Spacecat

• Boyz
  • 540 posts
stormboard04.jpg Three more Stormboys completed... The left one was amusing to make, hanging on to an out of control hoverboard. Middle one is nothing all that special. Right boy has a bad pun to him that makes me smirk: Imperial forces have beam weapons, Jedi have beam sabers, this guy has a beam -hammer-. A H-beam of course... I'm thinking I'll push the gag further and make an ork 'Beam Kannon' or 'Rail Gun' someday, a contraption that launches rails or H-beams. I only need to make and paint three stormboarders to finish my threat, I'm a bit fuzzy on fun poses or ideas for those last three... Maybe a boy drop-kicking a beakie while half-hanging to his board? CnC and crazy ideas welcome...

Kleiner Zorn

Kleiner Zorn

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,147 posts
you should drill out the barrels.....if you dont have a drill just use the tip of your knife.....pin it into the middle of the "barrel" and turn it a few times..... at lkeast that works great for me 34.jpg