Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scratch Built Wagonz-Letz get Lootin!

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

MasterOwen

MasterOwen

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 190 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moonz
Hey guys, I have been 'lost in da Warp' recently and not been on the forum for a while, I have been working on some fantasy armies. anyway started to miss the good old days of creating orky goodness, so thought I would return (and possibly create another ork army/force :biggrin )

I am thinking about creating a Deff Skullz Mek force (Already have a battlewagon Badmoonz army) It would consist of lots of Lootaz,meks,Kanz,dreads,lootedwagonz,mek junka (and maybe a squiggoth) ect
I was able to pick up a few second hand tanks (like a proppa mek) and started to break them down.(I also got the old leman russ which is great to loot, due to the many parts and extra gubinz which the new leman russ kit lacks). Got 3 kits (all in different states) and a chimera chasis.
With the first Russ I wanted to create a Lifta Droppa,with more of a hull mounted lifta compared to the forgeworld version.I used a rough sketch I drew over a year ago. I then used this sketch to create this drawing:
Posted Image

The first job was to extend the leman russ tracks, which after slicing my index finger open :blush, turned out ok.
Posted Image

Before I started to build in Plasticard, I created a card mock up of the measurments and angles of the hull:
Posted Image

Bitz: I had a Forge world engine for a trukk kit which I was going to tie into the model along with the ork from the forgeworld kilbursta tank which I was abe to pick up for a few pounds.
Posted ImagePosted Image

MasterOwen

MasterOwen

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 190 posts
Onto the Build
I started with creating the main hull structure from the card mock up
Posted Image
After a few cuts I found that part of the GW deffrolla fits pretty nicely between the track sections. i also used a 25mm base rim as a hatch edge.
Posted Image

Appologies for a big jump, but got a little carried away with the built and forgot to take pictures, I built up the back engine section and created 'Da Lifta' which is just made from different thicknesses of round and 'I' tubing. I aded wooden beads and used thinner plastic wire as cable. I was able to built the hydrolic pipes and hinge the join, so that the lifta can raise and lower.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next came more copper wire for cabling along with some greenstuff 'weld marks'
Posted Image
The next step was to add the actual armour to the tank. (still need to add rivets and weld marks, which will be the last step of the build)
Posted Image
It was during the built that I felt the tank was a little to front heavy, and in theory (I know crazy for an ork player!) when the lifta picks up a tank the weight would be transferred to the lifta making it lean forward, So my Mek came up with a solution of adding a weight system on the back end of the tank. :thumbs
I used 'I' beams as suppot, before creating a wire mesh cage, where rubble, rock and whatever other heavy stuff my otks can find (will be miliput, cork ect)
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, thats all so far, will keep you updated as the project progress'
Thing to do:
Armour plates,
more cables
exhausts
rocks+rubble in cage
Add steps/footholds for the 6 ork capacity to hold on.(as the vehcile is opentopped)
grot riggaz
welds+ rivets :crybaby

Chainzz

Chainzz

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 173 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Da Grim DeathSkull
i must say this is loking very kool indeed keep up the good work :)

Garglh

Garglh

Ridin' Boar

• Boyz
  • 119 posts
  • Army Name:Da Party Krashaz!
Looks very promising, I'll be watching this topic closely ;)

Mad Mek Snowfyre

Mad Mek Snowfyre

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,201 posts
  • Army Name:Random Freebooterz
nice. looks really promising to date. :D does remind me a bit of the design of the M7 Priest artillery tank.
May Da WAAAGH! be with you....

Do not underestimate Da power of DA WAAAGH! side.

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 819 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz
very nice build there owen! i like the counterweight idea, perhaps you can add grots stomping/hanging on the weights to help it "go down" :D

urluck

urluck

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 346 posts
Classy, very classy.

Unobtainium Rivits. my blog and your place for Orks, Transformers, and some other stuff.

Greyhound

Greyhound

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 418 posts
  • Army Name:Greyhound's Horde
really good ! Put a beakie under the rock, it will be fun. Sure the armour is protecting him from the pressure but it doesn't give him the strength to push them up, so there he goes: dying of thirst, insane, as a counterweight.... fitting end for humanity's finest.

radegast6

radegast6

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 542 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Skullcrasha WAGHH!!
good work. keep going!! more updates plz !!
Miniatures Conversion Blog

Mek shop orks buy here

ORKS DONT DO FACEBOOK BUT IF THEY WOULD...

apparently “mass produced plastic toys” are not protectable as “sculptures” or “works of artistic craftsmanship” under English law... hmm interesting

MasterOwen

MasterOwen

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 190 posts

Put a beakie under the rock, it will be fun. Sure the armour is protecting him from the pressure but it doesn't give him the strength to push them up

That is a great idea! It shall be done! :biggrin

Thanks for all the comments, I am hopeing to build quite a few tanks so will probably turn this Thread into a scratch building log.
So got to work on the armour plates aswell as adding exhausts.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I also added a rokkit Launcha next to the hatch.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now onto the process of rivetting... should be fun :P

eastern barbarian

eastern barbarian

Tankbusta Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 419 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axe Skwadron of Deff
looks very good so far mate!

dood515

dood515

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 302 posts
  • Army Name:Kogbasha's Trakkboyz
Looking real nice Owen, the plating is really good and reminds me of the FW grot tanks. The counterweight looks nice, I love the thinking behind a few small rocks in the back of the tank making it possible to pick up something tank-sized ;) - Dood515
One of the many reasons why orks are more fun to play; Bosspoles:

"Roight ladz!, Barry's dead, an' if you don't kill dat fing Steve's dead too, alroight!!?"

QUOTE (Oddballz @ Dec 8 2009, 11:02 AM) *
I like my armies to have proppa guns, tracks and wheels, and not gribbly appendages with veins and orifices.

I seem to have started a blog: http://therustywartr...blogspot.co.uk/

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz
I have to say it sort of reminds me of a Forgeworld Valdor :)

Posted Image

I can't really suggest anything, but its clear you've put a lot of thought into it with the counterweight and the other gubbinz so keep it up :thumbs
How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

balsak_da_mighty

balsak_da_mighty

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 465 posts
  • Army Name:?
Looks pretty awesome. I am not sure what the wire netting is for though.

Total AnOrky

Total AnOrky

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 634 posts
  • Army Name:AnOrkysts
It should be for tons of rocks or something to counter balance the Lifta. But that is just my two teef. If it were a larger basket......say rhino sized it would be funny to think of this like a giant dump truck where whatever was lifted up was deposited into the bin in the back. Hur Hur Hur.

JakubMB

JakubMB

squig attack arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 480 posts
  • Army Name:Nobbog's Fury
Generally I like it, butI don't like the cage in the back. It looks as if it wouldn't hold too well. I mean, ramshackle is good, but there is something like too ramshackle. :)
Nobbog's Bad Moon Fury

WAAAGH!!!

MasterOwen

MasterOwen

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 190 posts

I have to say it sort of reminds me of a Forgeworld Valdor

wow! it really does. I didn't do this on perpose or use it as reference, must have just been in my mind when coming up with the design. :P

Generally I like it, butI don't like the cage in the back. It looks as if it wouldn't hold too well. I mean, ramshackle is good, but there is something like too ramshackle.

I was thinking more of a Gabion:
Posted Image

So had a riveting time! used small rubber balls found in a water filter (as mentioned in both IA masterclass 1 and 2) I also added a few glyphs, rocks and as suggested a beakie. During the painting process I will add more rubble and smaller rocks/slate.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I won't be painting the tank untill I have several done, and can paint them all together.

Onto the Next!
For the next tank I will create a looted wagon which uses a junka cannon (fires scrap metal) and is like a larger version of a grot tank.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

more to come....