Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Painting Burna Boyz using the new painting system

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: What clan should these Burna Boyz be? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

What clan colors do you want to see these Burnas painted in?

1. Goff (6 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. Bad Moon (18 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Evil Sunz (7 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Deffskullz (17 votes [26.98%])

Percentage of vote: 26.98%

5. Blood Axes (12 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

6. Freebootaz (Indicate colours in your post) (3 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
Hey guys, In the almost decade that I have been an active user on this board, I have never used the poll feature until today. I need some input from you about some Burna Boyz of mine that have been long since primed, but I haven't touched in some time. I'm looking to paint them up using not only GW's new paint, but try to use their new system in terms of describing how I'm painting the unit as I go. Since my Dreadfleet is nearly finished well before the end of the month, I figure that I could use these models before I launch into doing the Island of Blood starter set. The goal of this project is to see how quickly I can paint up a unit of 12 Burna Boyz using the new system, and to demonstrate how the new paints work. If necessary, I will use the older paints if I have to, but I want to try to stick to the new paint as much as possible. Have at it lads! I await your input, and pictures will follow soon!
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

killercroc

killercroc

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 532 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz
I say Goff! Why? Cauzz we're the biggest and the bestest! All dem other klans is a bunch of runty wimps!

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
One of the reasons I'm throwing this out there is because it's an opportunity to see how the new colours work, and how quickly they work. I think I may even use a stopwatch to time the duration of each step. I also need to make a correction, I have fourteen primed Burna Boyz, rather than twelve. Also, I have painted Goff and Deffskullz in the past, and have even done a bit of Bad Moonz when it came for my Flash Gitz. However, I am very much open to your suggestions... but in some ways I might be pursuaded more by people's questions about how certain paint combinations work. I have just acquired Waaagh! Flesh, Warboss Green and Skarsnik Green which will help form the main part of the skin colours. I also plan on borrowing a trick from the "How to Paint Guide" of using the Spray Gun (or in my case, the airbrush) all of the models with Dryad Bark (a very dark brown) before applying the rest of the base colours by brush. Make a good case for a colour, and I will give it a try. :) It's good to have a bit of clan rivalry too, but just cuz Goffs can overpower with swagger an' stink doesn't mean I'm gunna paint 'em that way. These ARE burna boyz after all ;) That having been said, I do have colours for dirty black. :)
______Agatheron \_______

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 651 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

One of the reasons I'm throwing this out there is because it's an opportunity to see how the new colours work, and how quickly they work. I think I may even use a stopwatch to time the duration of each step. I also need to make a correction, I have fourteen primed Burna Boyz, rather than twelve.

Also, I have painted Goff and Deffskullz in the past, and have even done a bit of Bad Moonz when it came for my Flash Gitz. However, I am very much open to your suggestions... but in some ways I might be pursuaded more by people's questions about how certain paint combinations work. I have just acquired Waaagh! Flesh, Warboss Green and Skarsnik Green which will help form the main part of the skin colours. I also plan on borrowing a trick from the "How to Paint Guide" of using the Spray Gun (or in my case, the airbrush) all of the models with Dryad Bark (a very dark brown) before applying the rest of the base colours by brush.

Make a good case for a colour, and I will give it a try. :) It's good to have a bit of clan rivalry too, but just cuz Goffs can overpower with swagger an' stink doesn't mean I'm gunna paint 'em that way. These ARE burna boyz after all ;) That having been said, I do have colours for dirty black. :)

I've voted Freebootaz 'coz if you do Goff they'll all be black, Deff Skulz will all be bloo etc. Freebootaz'll give you (and us :thumbs ) a chance to see a few more variations in one bash ('ow many paints did you say you'd got? :biggrin ).
Whatever you decide/is decided, I'll hopefully be learning (just about all the colours are still giving me problems).

Cheers Aga :cheers

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
I voted Bad Moonz because they're the only proppa klan! :biggrin

Plus I've always found yellow the hardest colour to paint, especially over black primer, and Aga has said good things about using the new yellow shade over ceramite white.

I also plan on borrowing a trick from the "How to Paint Guide" of using the Spray Gun (or in my case, the airbrush) all of the models with Dryad Bark (a very dark brown) before applying the rest of the base colours by brush.

I read something recently, may have been in the new White Dwarf, about using a brown basecoat for orks as it makes painting all the hard to reach straps and belts on their chests alot easier to paint. When I read this I thought it sounded a good idea so I'd be interested in seeing you try this.

:cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
Please paint 2 Burnas for each clan, that would be great.
"Today itz Waaagh day! But thatz every day!" - Rutzgob
Epic song 'ere: DA ORK SONG

Shadey

Shadey

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 505 posts
  • Army Name:Da Firm
I put down Bad moons for the same reason Gaf-Naz. I will add though as tricky as yellow is, there are quite a few methods that work really well even without the new paints. It isn't half as bad as it was 10 years ago.

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 288 posts
I had to go with deffskulls, as burnas are just so good for cutting turrets off tanks for looting them, preferably while the tank is trying to zero in on a battlewagon! Watching this thread with interest, I resisted all the new paints today and just bought glue instead.
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

theorkmarine

theorkmarine

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 102 posts
  • Army Name:da speed skulz
if you want to make this imformative for all waaaghers then i say, paint them each a different clan, then we can see how all of the new colour schemes work.

theorkmarine :thumbs
big or small we'ze kill 'em all

So after sitting looking at a pile of bitz and breathing the glue fumes Gork, or was it Mork? Spoke to me and a vision formed in my mind. - ThorVald

STOMP, STOMP, STOMP!!!

Nosher

Nosher

Stikky Fingas

• Nobz
  • 2,802 posts
  • Army Name:Nosherz Ladz
I vote Deff Skullz, because they're proppa, because bloo orks are da best, but most importantly, because I'd like you to paint up a test mob for me so I can see how they look without forcing me to buy all that paint & do the work myself!!! Looking forward to seeing the new paint schemes in action, fingers-crossed they're blue!
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,772 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
I actually voted Bad Moon, because Yellows and Blacks are tricky. However if You would add purple on them (because it's "royal" color) I would be happy-happy.

In fact, If I can propose paint scheme then try to use several hues of yellow (not necessary on one model), like this, this and this (because apparently there are several ways to deal with them) + black. Oh and some "Liche Purple" equivalent.

Also, would You include Mek(s) with KMB? Some cyan OSL would be nice touch of blue people request so much...
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Nuttz

Nuttz

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 37 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Skrewlooze
I vote Bad Moons, because if the new colours can paint yellow proppa, dey should be able to paint anything ;)
LOOT 'EM LADZ

mad mcgobbo

mad mcgobbo

squig attack arm

• Blood Axez
  • 473 posts
  • Army Name:Genrul Gobsmashaz Blood Axes
I voted Blood Axes because they are the ONLY proppa clan and I'd also like to see you paint camo ;)
Genrul Gobsmashaz Victoriez:
++WON: 21++LOST: 3++DREW: 0++
21-3 To da Blood Axez!!!

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
There's much to be said for doing the different colour schemes with the new paints. It is tempting, although I would not get a real sense of how quickly one can paint up a unit with a variety of colour schemes. There may be a way to do it. If I end up doing Bad Moons, I will likely try to get the actual yellow colours rather than simply doing the yellow wash over the ceramite white, even though I already know the latter does work well already. Without buying any more paints I can certainly do Deffskullz and Goffs, although the blues I have use are definitely elf-flavoured. ;) Either way, I plan on base coating all the models the same no matter what clan they might be. I do appreciate the input. Thanks, and I'll keep the poll open for a bit longer. After all, I do need to finish Dreadfleet. If there's anything else that you're curious to see using the new paints, put it here and let's see if I can make it work. :)
______Agatheron \_______

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,194 posts
  • Army Name:Morfang's Big Stompa Mob
deffskullz are were burnas are the best. Blue all the way.
QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Mar 24 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Venerable Morfangdakka. It has a certain feel to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 898 posts
Blue-skinned orks! Otherwise, blood axes. I also want to see you paint camo. Im really not sold on this new painting style. Probably because I foolishly want to make every model as best looking as i can.

I'm right, and nothing ever annoys me more. - Dim

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
Hey guys,

Just for reference, I've posted progress shots of the Heldenhammer from Dreadfleet using some of the new reds from the line. First shot is here, showing the Heldenhammer painted with Mephiston Red using an airbrush. I've since applied the Carroburg Crimson shade, which I will have pictures up shortly... and then I will follow with Evil Suns Scarlet and Wild Rider red.
______Agatheron \_______

JakubMB

JakubMB

squig attack arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 480 posts
  • Army Name:Nobbog's Fury

I voted Bad Moonz because they're the only proppa klan! :biggrin

THIS! :thumbs And you get to check the new yellows out.
Nobbog's Bad Moon Fury

WAAAGH!!!

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
Looks like its a toss up between yellow and blue. :) That having been said, if you go over to the Tekneeks forum, you can see how the red looks on a Dreadfleet ship, and you can also see some High Elves that my six-year old daughter painted using the new system. :)
______Agatheron \_______

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
Okay guys... I've started, nothing really significant to show, but I will at least give you a teaser by showing you the whole set. While they still look black, in truth they're not. I sprayed these models using the Base "Dryad Bark" which is a really dark greyish brown. This is the same step as shown in the new "How to Paint" book. The idea, I think is that by using the Dryad Bark, it's a good shadow colour, but you can leave boots, leggings, guns and straps this colour if you so choose.

In all, this step took all of 15 minutes including cleaning out the airbrush. Keep in mind, the GW spraygun does this too:

First a group shot:
Posted Image

And a close up of one of the boyz. This one will be my "detail shot" guy.
Posted Image

At the moment, things are running neck-and-neck between Bad Moonz and Deffskullz. Some have suggested that I paint some of these boyz as if they're from each clan. For unit coherency, I'd like to keep them all one scheme, however I can still paint certain clan-specific colours on these models to demonstrate how they might work on your models.

I think as I wait for votes, I will paint up the skin, as it will be universal to almost anybody's tastes, 'cept for perhaps mr. maxime...
______Agatheron \_______