IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Battle report - Orks vs. Blood Angels, Well ... if we die, we die so it don't count as defeat.
colinabrett
post Mar 30 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #1

Oily Squig

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 2,045

Hi,

I posted a possible list in this thread. Thanks for the suggestions there. Here's what happened:

Mission: Table quarters to capture an objective in the opponent's quarter. Dawn of war. Played 6 turns.

Fielded about 30 Beakies with reclusiarch character and battle priests. Most were jump-pack equipped and split into combat squads. Drop pod. Lots of melta-guns and one inferno melta-pistol thing. Player left one combat squad of Beakies in the objective.

Turn 1:

Orks stole the initiative and started to swarm forward. Unit of shootas into my objective building; sluggaboyz started off down the flank; gretchin headed towards the wood in the centre; warboss and retinue in trukk went forward; buggies went around the building.

In the Shooting phase I managed to take out a couple of Beakies with long-range buggy fire and big shootas.

Beakies jump-packed forward out of their objective building towards my flanking sluggas and towards table centre where the gretchins were. Drop pod landed just behind my building.

In their Shooting phase the melta-gunners from the drop pod destroyed the warboss trukk - this caused it to Kareen 10" forward, closer to the centre of the table - a spot of luck but the orks failed a pinning test (rolled 11 vs the Warboss's Ld of 9) and were unable to move; a few grots lost to shooting and the trukk's explosion.

Assault phase: Beakies charged the gretchins and began to wipe them out. This tied the Beakies up for a while.

Turn 2:

The Ork sluggas continued running up the flank heading for the objective. The buggies gunned their engines and headed flat-out for the objective. Back in my objective building, the Shootas turned the guns on the Beakies from the drop pod. All that shooting! But a combination of beakie armour and Feel No Pain meant the Blood Angels emerged unscathed. Not a happy result.

In the middle of the field, the Warboss and Retinue were still pinned and couldn't do anything at all. So in the Ork Assault phase, the Shootas broke cover and charged the drop-pod Beakies. Combat here took most of the rest of the battle with the Blood Angel's armour save and FNP. But at least it tied their unit up.

The Beakies finished off the rest of the gretchin and runtherds then made a consolidate move that brought them into combat with the Warboss and retinue, who just stood there and looked dazed (as they were still pinned). Another combat squad of jump-pack Angels jumped, shot and then assaulted the Slugga Boyz.

Turns 3 and 4:

After that, most of the moving and shooting stopped as most of the units were tied up in close combat.

The Warboss and his mates finally woke up and weathered a lot of hits from the Beakies before getting a chance to hit back. The Painboy's FNP helped a lot here but was paid back in full by the Blood Angel's own FNP.

The slugga boyz on the flank took a lot of casualties but held their ground: 30 Orks take a lot of punishment before running. The shoota boyz hacked away at the drop pod Beakies and gave as good as they got, taking out a couple of normal Beakies.

This was fast becoming a war of attrition.

Turns 3 and 4 consisted mostly of close assault, except for the buggies. These slowed down and I managed to get one buggy round the corner of the building and take a pop at the Beakies left on the objective. They missed by miles but it was the thought that counts! On turn 4, the Beakies fought back a bit and with some miraculous shooting (3 sixes on 3D6!) managed to wreck two out of three buggies.

Warboss Badrokk Gitsnika died a glorious death and power-klawed the Blood Angel Reclusiarch to tiny tiny bits before buying the big squig-farm in the sky.

Turn 5:

The slugga boys on the flank whittled down the Beakies and finally emerged the winners with only 8 of the original 30 boyz still standing. They headed for the objective building to be met by the Beakies. More close assault ensued and the boyz were finally destroyed to the last Ork only 10 inches from the objective.

The shootas did better against the drop pod Beakies and finally wiped them out. I used the consolidate move to get them back into the building they were supposed to be guarding.

Turn 6:

The Beakies got the victory here on the last turn. The unit that destroyed the warboss assaulted the boyz in the objective and, despite best efforts, their morale finally cracked and they ran, only to be blown to bits by the deathwind launcher on the drop pod.

Well ... if we die, we die so it don't count as defeat.

I might have gotten a kicking in this battle but I gave as good as I got. The Angels fielded 27 Beakies and I left only SIX surviving. And remember, for each Ork killed, the spores from their corpses will grow another half-dozen boyz!

A few things spring to mind.

I wasn't prepared for the Feel No Pain rule being so widespread in the Blood Angels. I think this was because each squad had a priest or chaplain with them but don't have the codex to check.

I'm thinking Ard Boyz are the way to go. Pity we can only have one mob.

In the thick of the fighting, I forgot some of our special rules (like the Painboy's FNP on the first turn). I should really have issued a Waaagh! once the Warboss started fighting after being pinned.

The Waaagh! banner was extremely useful against the Reclusiarch as this made the Warboss WS 6 and the Nobz 5, which went a long way to keeping them in the fight.

I hope this has been enjoyable. Any hints or tips would be great.

Colin

--------------------
"The smartest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
-- Verbal Kynt, The Usual Suspects
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warboss Gorhack
post Mar 30 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #2

'Ead Graft
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 5,050

Sounds like you gave a good account of yourself. Nothing to be ashamed of, especially if you left him with a lousy six feel no pain power armored beakies.

Yes, near-universal Feel no Pain in a Beakie army is... well, a pain. One way around it is to bring lots of S8 weapons, which (thanks to inflicting instant death) negate FNP. For Orks that usually means more rokkits, more Klaws, more Dred close combat weapons. The other is to bring god awful loads of close combat attacks. Trying to outshoot him with foot troopers proably won't meet with much success since he was doing the whole jump pack thing.

My two teef,

Warboss Gorhack

+Quote Post
Shabbadoo
post Mar 31 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #3

Wartrukk Gunner
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,901

Close Combat is the cure for the BA's Feel No Pain thing though, as all of the models that grant Feel No Pain are Independent Characters, and so can be singled out in close combat. Kill them immediately, and everything gets a whole lot easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drobbit
post Mar 31 2012, 06:04 AM
Post #4

Growler (pet squig)

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 12,867

Deff rolla is always the most funny way to deal with them.
A few weeks ago I have the lucky to see a battle between orks and beakies. The BW miraculously survived enough to have two units of Beakies and a rhino in range. So he just drove through them and start doing 10str atracks like crazy. The face of the beakie player was a poem (Edgar Allan's one).

--------------------
May the waaagh be with you...

+Quote Post
colinabrett
post Mar 31 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #5

Oily Squig

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 2,045

A couple of more points I remember.

First, when I killed the independents I'm sure he continued with the FNP on the rest of the squad. I could be wrong about this, though, so please don't think I'm flaming the Blood Angel player.

Second, I do remember that when I lost the Painboy from the Nobz unit, FNP did, indeed, stop working. I thought the Nobz were basically drugged up at the start of the battle and it lasted the whole game. This isn't covered in the January 2012 Ork FAQ. Have I misread something or should FNP definitely stop when the doc is removed?

Thanks,
Colin

--------------------
"The smartest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
-- Verbal Kynt, The Usual Suspects

+Quote Post
Warboss Gorhack
post Apr 2 2012, 03:05 AM
Post #6

'Ead Graft
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,050

Quick answer is that if a model grants FNP to the squad/mob and it dies FNP goes away.

I'd tend to disagree with Shabbadoo's suggestion about close combat as method of choice for killing off ICs. Everything Shabba says is true, of course, but my preference is to soften up those squads before making contact. Due to Initiative you're likely to spend your first round of CC flailing at beakies who still have FNP before you manage to kill an independent character (who's already had his hack at you) in close combat.

Meanwhile ou characters most likely to kill the FNP-granting ICs - namely, our Warbosses - are waiting at the end of the line with their Klaws to swing at the IC you need to get dead. If that IC didn't choose to off the Warboss himself.

If you can stand one round of close-combat pasting before the IC gets dead, go for it. Me, I prefer knocking FNP squads down a peg or five before I try to mix it up in close combat.

My two teef,

Warboss Gorhack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 15th April 2014 - 11:41 PM