Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buggies/Wartrakks, More "vehicular" as opposed to weedy little bike things
Misanthrope
post Mar 18 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Mushling

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 7,673

I like the concept of Buggies/Wartrakks being actual relatively large vehicles. They do afterall have an AV rating, bare minimum sure, but I really dislike the current concept of half-bike things and a lot of custom jobs that make Buggies out to be barely bigger than a Warbiker (like the semi-common conversion of Deffkoptas into wheeled buggies). I've seen a couple of pictures, there's even one right now in this very forum of a "Dark Knight" Batmobile-style Buggy that looks utterly tits, and other specimens based off of miniaturized Rhinos and Chimera-style vehicles, and that's what I'm looking to make myself. I've tried my hand at scratch-building some Buggy/Trakks in the past (2+ years ago) but looking back, they weren't very good. So I'm looking for any inspiration you guys can throw my way in terms of awesome, full-sized vehicular concepts of the Warbuggy and Wartrakk. I've been gathering some bits here and there, some Warbiker and Trukk wheels, several Kan engine parts and the like, and I'm looking to try my hand at building, so if you have any examples, pictures or ideas, have at 'em...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
burad
post Mar 19 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Grot Oiler

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 9,990

I've seen quite a few good lookin' buggies made from 2/3 of a Trukk. And i'd seriously consider customizin' an old-style Trukk and callin' it a buggy.
For a Wartrakk I'd think about taking a half (or 2/3) of a Trukk and instead of the rear wheels use the suspension from a 1/72 scale tank. Preferably a simple one, like Pz II.
Or again, use an old style Trukk and do that to it.
For the skorcha turret you can use a Kan body and mount your skorchas where the arms would be.

--------------------
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Grogsmek
post Mar 19 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Puffball Fungus

Member No.: 11,727

My favorite is a warbuggy done by Grandmaster Bo over on Librarium-online

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/ork...ons-army-3.html

Another one I like is by Mordian 7th at
http://mordian7th.blogspot.com/2009/05/red...t-go-fasta.html

+Quote Post
burad
post Mar 20 2012, 02:10 AM
Post #4

Grot Oiler

Member No.: 9,990

yeah. Just like that one.

--------------------
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

+Quote Post
Oogruk
post Mar 26 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Rutted Gob Busta

Member No.: 2,982

You should take a look at some scale models of armored cars and the like. I've found that 1/35 scale vehicles fit best with the 28mm scale. WWII-era German and Soviet vehicles are a good place to start (as they already look rather orky) but I can see some really impressive conversions based on jeeps or even humvees.

You might want to check out the Kromlech Orc Desert Raider and PuppetsWar Orc Buggi. They should give some inspiration if nothing else.

--------------------
Full speed ahead and damn the consequences!

+Quote Post
crispy
post Mar 28 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #6

Grot Oiler

Member No.: 9,988

Here's my take on the warbuggy built from a Trukk kit.

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=47167

The pics in the first post show how it look using just the Trukk kit parts, I then added extras from my bits box. I was mostly aiming to get a lightweight, fast vehicle to better match the GW rules. It shocking they still haven't brought out a new buggy kit yet!

--------------------
"When the pin is removed, Mr Grenade is not your friend!"

+Quote Post
Badfang Brassaxe
post Apr 18 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Explosive Kranium

Member No.: 9,593

QUOTE (Misanthrope @ Mar 18 2012, 07:06 PM) *
So I'm looking for any inspiration you guys can throw my way in terms of awesome, full-sized vehicular concepts of the Warbuggy and Wartrakk. I've been gathering some bits here and there, some Warbiker and Trukk wheels, several Kan engine parts and the like, and I'm looking to try my hand at building, so if you have any examples, pictures or ideas, have at 'em...

This is an old pic I posted a while back of my Sunburnz mob. Just about all the buggies are based on the standard GW one (some with more tweeks than others biggrin2.gif ) and the wartrakk uses (most of) the tracks and running gear from a 1/35 scale Sherman.
Realistically, I'd suggest you just throw your bits together and see what you get, s'wot orks do thumbs.gif

+Quote Post
Scoutfox
post Apr 21 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Yoof

Member No.: 4,299

Most of my scratchbuilds and conversions are much larger than the GW counterparts, and like you I think the current models for buggies suck. I did the kopta conversion for my skorcha buggies, and made them into rocket powered water buggies. I got a trio of the old school trukks from Batertown and converted them into rokkit buggies. I think they are a great place to start as a base, and I had a lot of fun building both squadrons. Best advice is just start putting stuff together and let your inner mek shine. I was really scared the first time I converted something, but now I dive right in.

Examples:

Rokkit buggies

Skorcha buggies before and after paint:

+Quote Post
Spacecat
post May 8 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #9

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

Member No.: 13,070

Well Misanthrope, my latest wartrakk pretty much fits what you like: I'm converting a 1:35 scale hummer into a skorcha Wartrakk, so its size is 5 inches long by 2.5 inches wide. So almost the size of a trukk (just a bit thinner I think) I affectionately call this my 'flamer hummer'.

--------------------
Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

+Quote Post
Grimskraga
post Sep 13 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #10

Buzzing Squig

Member No.: 9,865

Seein as i done some of me own now, though't id post up
my "Is it a Deffkopta, Is it a buggy"
Completely interchangable between the two models
Attached File(s)
Attached File  buggy.jpg ( 111.91K ) Number of downloads: 24

--------------------
GREEN IS BEST!!

+Quote Post
Nosher
post Sep 18 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #11

Stikky Fingas
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 139

A lot of good buggies in this thread - I'll add a few of mine own for comparison/food for thought:

Attached File  RL_Buggy_1a.JPG ( 210.13K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  RL_Buggy_2b.JPG ( 212.89K ) Number of downloads: 8

Attached File  RL_Buggy_3a.JPG ( 280.37K ) Number of downloads: 7

Also - a personal favorite from years gone by - Kronork's buggy:

Attached File  Kronork_buggy06a.jpg ( 61.86K ) Number of downloads: 17
Attached File  Kronork_buggy06b.jpg ( 65.3K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  Kronork_buggy06c.jpg ( 61.21K ) Number of downloads: 9

One final note - I MUCH prefer buggies to warbikes, deffkoptas, etc. for the very reason you pointed out - they're vehicles. They block Line of Sight (though
not as well as they used to), they can block hatches so troops can't disembark from their transports, they draw fire (and absorb it) and they are CHEAP.

--------------------
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

+Quote Post
Nosher
post Sep 18 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #12

Stikky Fingas
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 139

One more batch - these are of another classic, Night Serpent's Skorcha Buggy from years ago:

Attached File  NS_buggy14a.jpg ( 67.96K ) Number of downloads: 30
Attached File  NS_buggy14b.jpg ( 66.27K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  NS_buggy14c.jpg ( 54.99K ) Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  NS_buggy14d.jpg ( 61.59K ) Number of downloads: 7

I understand your point about size, and this one might be a little small - but it's still significantly bigger than the deffkopta-buggies we've been seeing lately.

--------------------
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

+Quote Post
big mek tank kru...
post Sep 19 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #13

Battlwagon Driver
Group Icon

Group: Blood Axez
Member No.: 10,090

i generally look in my bitzbox for enough wheels, then go nuts. and if i don't have enough wheels, i just go nuts crazyork.gif

good wheels and a few previous thoughts on the subject:

Attached File  batch_2__2_.JPG ( 454.08K ) Number of downloads: 28

meh wheels, a metal dreadnaught and a bit of creativity:

Attached File  SV500012.JPG ( 54.93K ) Number of downloads: 22

and, no wheels and some spare time:

Attached File  hoverbuggy__9_.JPG ( 95.64K ) Number of downloads: 21

long as you got wheels, yer laughing. otherwise, ya got ter git more kreative.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:54 PM